Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Let me know what you think and if you think I managed to get all of the items on the list. If anyone else wants to take this challenge on, please do so.

Oh and let me know if you tried the recipe.

Cheers, The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
Features Writer
Features Writer
Nice story. thumbsup

Quick question about the recipe:

500 grams of butter
500 grams of sugar
500 grams of self raising flour
5 eggs

Cream butter and sugar together.
Beat each egg individually and fold into the mixture.
Eggs are usually 50 - 52 grams each but you only need just slightly under the 450 -500 gram mark worth of eggs.
Everything else must be in equal proportion.
Add flour and fold into mixture till smooth and creamy.
Pour into tin and place in oven at 180 C/350 F for 35-40 minutes. Take out of oven as soon as the top turns golden brown. If it hasn't after 30 minutes, turn temperature up to 200 C/ 375 F for 10 - 20 minutes. Remove, leave to cool, cut into little squares and enjoy.

Once mastered and enjoyed, pass recipe on.
How do you get about 450-500 grams of eggs out of 5 eggs, if each one weighs about 50 grams? confused

(It's the Math graduate student in me asking)

malu

Top Banana
Top Banana
Very cute story!

The title caught my attention, as that name sounded very Dutch and I just needed to see what that was about. You know, me being actually Dutch and all. But I must say that the recipe doesn't sound particularly Dutch at all... I have seen that used in more parts of the world. Unless this is what you meant?

Still, nice story and good one for a scavenger hunt!

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
T
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Malu:

It's supposed to be all the ingredients in proportion to each other but I find that this is not necessarily true for the eggs so here is a rough guide:

if going by 500 grams of flour etc, use 4-5 eggs,
if going by 250 grams of flour etc, use 3-4 eggs

And just in case that doesn't work, eggs are usually 50-52 grams each so try using them in proportion such as 10 for 500 g etc. But usually the first method works and I think it has something to do with adding it as a liquid substance to the other dry ingredients. Sorry if that confused you.

Saskia:

That is what I am talking about except the one in that picture looks a little depressed. What is Dutch about is probably the huge amount of butter - but the Dutch did bring the recipe with them to Ceylon/Sri Lanka - that's where we got it from - maybe they spread it across the world?

Glad you liked the story.

Cheers, The Little Tornado.

Marisa Wikramanayake
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Adorable and the cake sounds good. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Cute story, TLT!

My family has a recipe that is similar, since my grandparents (on my dad's side) were born and raised in The Hague. Only, the boter koek recipe I am used to is more of a butter cookie than a butter cake. It turns out about the consistency of brownies, and involves separating egg yolks from egg whites, and brushing the whites on top just before you put it in the oven (converted to American measurements):

Dutch Boter Koek

4 1/3 Sticks Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
2½ Cups Sugar
4 Cups Flour
2 Egg yokes + some egg whites

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT egg white, until soft and smooth. Spread into 12 X 16 X 1 Jelly roll pan. Brush with egg white and bake on top rack for 15 min at 400 degrees F.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Columnist
Columnist
Cute story, but did Clark really like?

Sounds a bit like the gooey butter cake my grandmother made in Georgia.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What a sweet story, Tornado! I loved the idea that Lois would suffer a minor identity crisis because she had managed to bake a cake! And you had me rolling on the floor (flour?) with that reference to the Swedish chef in the Muppets show!

I agree that the cake sounds delicious. I'd like to know what Clark said when Lois came over to his place bringing a perfect cake that she had baked herself!

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I love that she gave it to him just because. I'm sure he loves it whether it tastes good or not, simply because that's a great reason.

Elisabeth

T
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
cp33:

Cute story, but did Clark really like?
That suspiciously sounds like a request for a sequel. *looks around to see if Michael is lurking anywhere*

Ann:

What a sweet story, Tornado! I loved the idea that Lois would suffer a minor identity crisis because she had managed to bake a cake! And you had me rolling on the floor (flour?) with that reference to the Swedish chef in the Muppets show!
Rolling in flour? *has mental picture of ann covered in flour on the floor*

I agree that the cake sounds delicious. I'd like to know what Clark said when Lois came over to his place bringing a perfect cake that she had baked herself!
That sounds suspiciously like yet another request for a sequel ... *tries to look inconspicuous in case Michael passes by*

Elisabeth:

I love that she gave it to him just because. I'm sure he loves it whether it tastes good or not, simply because that's a great reason.
See? Of course we all know what Clark is going to do! Duh, whether it tastes horrible or not he will eat it, so why should there be any need for a sequel? razz goofy wink

*runs before anyone sends in the wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy *

The Little Tornado.

Marisa Wikramanayake

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard