Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Interesting chapter, Terry. I can't say that I'm comfortable reading about Lois together with an apparently good Lex. Nor is it comfortable to read about Clark with Rebecca, but I figured that you meant to do that - you know, shake us out of our comfort zones and all that. So I'll put up with it. After all, there are 41 parts. Things could definitely change.

I loved the ending of this chapter. Clark is so real here, so unsure of what to do in his personal life (like real life), rather than having a preternatural ability to know Lois is the one for him (like in the show). I like it.

Unfortunately, he also realizes how dependent he is on her natural talent when it comes to investigating. What a conundrum.

Please hurry back with the next part.
BJ

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Interesting, Terry. (I always say that in the beginning of my FDK on your fic, don't I? wink )

I almost feel as if this part was a sort of refutation of something I said in my previous FDK, namely, that Clark is like a polygamist who thinks of Rebecca as his favorite "wife", and who misses his previous favorite, Lana, and who treats Lois as if she was one of his lesser women. Well, none of that was true here.

Then he tried to imagine how Lana would react if she could speak to him.

Nothing. He could barely envision her beside him. He didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing, and it bothered him that at that moment he couldn't see her face clearly in his mind.
He can't quite remember Lana's face.

So what was he supposed to do? Would it be fair to Rebecca to keep seeing her if he knew the relationship wasn't going anywhere?

And he had no real thought of a permanent relationship with Rebecca, at least not at this point.
He doesn't seem to picture a future for himself with Rebecca.

He pondered that last for a moment, then decided that he didn't know what the future held for him. He didn't know if his link with Lois meant that they would – someday in the far, far distant future – have a romantic relationship together, or if they'd simply remain close friends.
He is at least acknowledging the possibility that he might have a romantic relationship with Lois in the future.

As he dropped the folder onto the living room table, he admitted to himself that he needed Lois. Without her input, this investigation was just about dead in the water.

And much later, as he wavered in that mystical realm between asleep and awake, the thought crossed his mind that he needed Lois for much more than just the story.
Indeed, he admitted to himself that he really needs Lois in more ways than one, although he may not remember that realization in the morning.

Anyway, Terry. Clark has shaped up. In the previous chapter, I felt that Clark was pretty much beyond redemption in the "I love Lois" department, but now he is indeed shaping up.

Lois, on the other hand, seems very impressed with Lex. But her reaction to him doesn't turn me off. She didn't go too far or lose her head. And I don't blame her for liking him. I really, really think that you made us see how much Lex truly loves her.

Yes, indeed. Lex became a better person thanks to Lois, at least on this particular occasion. I really, really liked how you wrote how Fernando tried to pick a fight with him, and how Lex managed to talk him out of fighting and made both of them come out of the situation with undamaged egos. I loved this:

As they waited for their drinks, Lex realized he might have made his best impression on Lois at that moment by not behaving as a studly stud and a manly man but by being a peacemaker instead. Even if he had won the fight with Vasquez, he probably would have lost Lois.

And that, he suddenly realized, was a trade-off he would never be willing to make. He decided he'd think about this moment for years to come. He'd etch it in his memory as one of his most favorite moments.

He'd remember it as the night he'd fallen deeply, completely, and irretrievably in love with Lois Lane.
But you told us that this is not a 'Lois and Lex' site. In other words, we shouldn't look forward to a very romantic and happy Lois and Lex love story. Well, good. I don't want one, even though I like this Lex better than any Lex I have ever come across in any other LnC fanfic, and even though I think that, basically, right now Lois may have a better reason to be impressed and flattered by Lex than by Clark. No, I don't mean it quite like that. I hope Lois realizes that Clark is a more admirable person than Lex, no matter how good Lex might look to her. But I do think that, yes, this Lex has treated her nicer and sweeter than this Clark ever has. And why shouldn't she like Lex' plain-as-day love for her?

But it is obvious that Lois's love story with Lex can only end painfully and unhappily. I hope that Clark will be there for her when things turn sour or horrible. I hope Clark will console her and comfort her and treat her kindly and sweetly. I would really, really like to see that.

Ann

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
this is probably a silly question to ask at this point since you have used the phrase so often, but what exactly do you mean by "guard your heart"?

it sounds very biblical

cheers
Emma

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for reading, Emma. And no, it's not a dumb or silly question.

I don't think "Guard your heart" qualifies as a Biblical quote. The first time we heard it in this story was early on when Jonathan told Clark to guard his heart. Remember that Jonathan was (if possible) more devastated than Clark over Lana's death, and he's not healing very quickly. His reflexive response is to guard his own heart to keep from being hurt again, and he gives that same advice to his son because he cares.

Problem is, if you guard your heart too well, you might miss something you're not supposed to miss. Or you might substitute something else you think is safer than the thing you're afraid to risk.

Hope that clears things up. Next chapter will be up by the end of the week.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Terry, I have to let you know that I am reading this, and enjoying it, even though I'm not thrilled to see Lois with Lex.

Yes, this Lex seems like 'A darned nice guy', but this is Lex, he can't be a nice guy. That would be boring. I can only hope that Lex begins to reveal his true self before Lois gets too involved and hurt badly. (Though that might be his purpose in this tale.)

Clark, on the other hand, is really uncertain as to what it is that he wants. He keeps telling himself that he's not really ready to 'move on' but he seems to be seeking someone to fill the void left by Lana's death.

I don't remember the first story all that well, but it seems that Lana knew what Clark was going to need with her gone. He was going to need Lois.

You have quite a challenge in this story. You are building a world where Lois and Clark have lives outside the Planet and outside each other. How and if you plan to bring that together will be an interesting story.

Since the story is already finished, there is no reason not to post parts frequently.

Tank (who can't help it but he still cringes whenever Lois is with Lex)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for reading, Tank. You said:

Since the story is already finished, there is no reason not to post parts frequently.
I'm sorry, but I must disagree with you. I have a trio of marvelous betas who work hard and dig deeply into each chapter before I post it, but they have real lives which take up a lot of their time and they can't send back three or four chapters a week (as much as I'd like that myself). I've already made some fairly significant changes to some of these chapters because of what one or the other has said. And I've also changed one posted chapter due to comments from the betas and the readers because what was blatantly obvious in my head wasn't when it was written and posted.

I'd like to speed up my posting schedule, but I have to wait on my betas. I'd be too nervous to post something without their input.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
You have definately written Lex quite the smooth character. I can see why Lois would fall for him. I just hope she will see him for who he is before she gets her heart broken. The more I read the more I think he is more dangerous then he appears. Unless St. John works for others, then it is Lex who has him testing superman and plans to kill him, and when Lois learns this, then watch out Lex because here come Mad Dog.

I have noticed that all of you main females have horrible mothers/parents. Did you do this on purpose? I know this story is finished but I wanted to ponder this before moving to the next chapter.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard