Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Nice funeral. Very well done part.

“Doctor Friskin thinks it’s possible he may never remember Superman. He may never need to remember.
Well done.

“It’s the whistle from the flyback transformer. It’s about sixteen thousand Hertz and hers is really loud. I can also tell when Perry turns on the TV in his office. Sometimes it feels like an ice pick going through my head,” Clark told her.
Yet another sign that his powers are slowly coming back.

I like finding another bug in Lois's apartment.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just a minor point - normal human hearing goes up to 20,000 cycles. Jonathan and Martha's story about the poor Sears salesman is a true story. I could hear that damned whistle until I was well past thirty. Now my tinnitus is about that frequency. grumble

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
The funeral was amazing. Perfect for the superhero. And giving the flag to Lois and Clark was a nice touch.

I can't even think of what else to say except that this was just perfect.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This was truly beautiful.

The poem "High Flight" was especially apt, since the author died in air combat over Britain just a few weeks after he wrote those lines. The occasion of Superman's funeral was a perfect time and place to include those lines.

One note about the high frequency noise from computer monitors. Years ago, before desktop PCs became the standard for viewing everything from any computer, the company I worked for at the time used monitors which could display a screen 132 characters wide instead of the usual 80. Whenever the guy across the hallway from me flipped over to that display mode, his monitor put out a high-pitched tone that made me flinch. I found out later that it was between 18K and 20K hertz, but I had a tough time convincing anyone that I could hear that tone because no one else in the work area could hear it.

I wonder if the coffin had some kryptonite in it? Clark didn't seem to be affected, but he wasn't that close to it, either. And I also wonder if he's starting to figure out where Superman is hiding. He was very thoughtful during and after the service.

Neat story! This is, to my knowledge, a completely original take on the Nightfall episode and its aftermath. I really wonder where you plan to take it. Will Clark regain his powers? If he does, will he regain his memory first? If not, how will he handle that revelation? How could he handle it? Will Jonathan and/or Martha clue him in? Will Lois put the clues together? Will Max Deter end up in jail where he belongs? Will they break up the dead seniors' ring at the hospital?

So many questions, so few answers.

So where's the next chapter?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So beautiful, Dandello. So moving.

When I first realized that you were going to give us poems at Superman's funeral, I just hoped you'd give us a poem that I could only remember two words from - "burning blue". And you did! Oh, those two words are so wonderfully appropriate. I have always been fascinated, someimes hypnotized, by the color blue, and the way the intense color of the sky sometimes seems to draw you in, overwhelm you, engulf you. But if we now add Superman in his brightly colored suit, and the way the blue of his suit plays off of the blue of the sky, when he is flying, soaring, dancing, almost cascading, against the sky - oh wow. So incredibly beautiful. And so intensely poignant to read a poem like that at the flying man's funeral. A man, a human being, even a Kryptonian human being, can soar against the sky for only so long. But during that short time when he did so, it was magical. Compelling. Hypnotizing.

And thank you for quoting the entire poem to me. So beautiful. And to think that it was written by a nineteen-year-old boy who loved to fly, like Icaros, and who would plunge to his death soon afterwards, also like Icaros.

I also loved that you had a man with bagpipes play Amazing Grace for Superman. I used to be a Star Trek fan, but more than anything else, I was a Spock fan. I was so upset and heartbroken that I almost couldn't bear to see the movie where Spock died, but just before the film stopped playing at a theater here in Malmö, I saw it nevertheless. Scotty played Amazing Grace for Spock on his bagpipes at the funeral. Oh man, how I cried.

One more thing that I absolutely loved here was that an orchestra played Fanfare for the Common Man for Superman. Oh, how beautiful and appropriate. That was Superman all right: the humble farm boy, raised by two honest and warm-hearted farmers from Kansas to believe in the inherent equal worth of all human beings everywhere.

Oh, there was another particularly poignant moment, too. Last year a beloved Swedish maverick died at only fifty-four - Hans-Uno Bengtsson, physicist, popularizer, expert on Chinese, beer and humourous southern Swedish writers, wild style icon, general renaissance man and an aviator. He flew an airplane from 1944. During his funeral, his aviator friends honored him by flying over the church where the funeral was taking place in a "missing man" formation. When I read about it in my local newspaper, it absolutely choked me up.

"Missing man formation" in Sweden

For me, who find it so hard to enjoy any sort of deathfics, this is very different, because the man who was Superman is still alive. And I'm so looking forward to the rest of this splendid tale!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That was absolutely beautiful!

~Mel~
Merriwether
Merriwether
I just love this story and that we get to realize the true feelings of everyone about Superman. It seems that death is the best cause of true appreciation. Reminds me of the lines to a song I think may be well known:

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."

Extremely touching. Superman would be honored to have you as his funeral coordinator.

On another note, Yay! You lured a lurker out. Welcome to the boards, Melray. And please, don't be a stranger.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This was a beautiful funeral for metropolis' beloved hero. I'm glad he was not actually dead because otherwise I would have cried my eyes out and ruined my mascara. whinging

Well done.

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard