Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I like the slower pace you are taking with this story. Both plots the Superman/Clark problem as well as the deepening of the Clark/Lois relationship is nicely paced.

Poor Martha and Jonathan, they must be ready to scream.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
For me, the person who does not much like A-plots, this story is nevertheless enthralling. Probably because the A-plot itself is enthralling, and because the story really is so B-plot heavy, with excellent interaction between Lois and Clark. And of course, the fact that neither of them knows that Clark used to be Superman makes it even more fascinating!

Since I have not seen the episode with Dr Deter - big surprise there - I don't know what his real motivations are. But I'm guessing that he is a disgusting sleazebag who likes to liberate women of their men and then make use of the women to his own advantage. But clearly there must be someone behind Deter. I'm sure Baby Rage got a kick out of burning down people's property, but it was Bill Church who had hired him for his own, sinister reasons.

Not one of the spouses or former patients had been willing to talk to her, not even off the record. The last woman had been positively rude, claiming Lois was out to get a "good man' – and this was the woman who had filed a multi-million dollar suit against the Center, naming Deter's advances as the reason behind the complaint.

“Do you think they got paid off?” Lois wondered aloud.

“Well, some of the suits against Deter and the Center were dismissed for lack of evidence,” Clark reminded her. “But the others were simply dropped. It's possible they reached an out-of-court settlement that included a gag order.”
To me it sounds as if Deter is costing his employer a fortune in various out-of-court settlements. Why would anyone want an employee like that? Unless his boss wants to keep Deter because he is totally unscrupulous and ruthless and will use his psychiatric knowledge to destroy his boss's enemies?

Compare the cases of "Roger" and Clark. In several respects they are awfully similar. Both men disappeared, lost their memory, and when they were found again they were diagnosed - by Dr Deter! - with disassociative retrograde amnesia. Deter made improper advances towards Roger's wife as well as to Clark's "fiancée", Lois. Deter also claimed that Roger would become a danger to his wife and children, and Clark would become a danger to Lois. Roger was treated by Deter, got worse and killed himself. What would have happened to Clark if he had agreed to Dr Deter's treatment?

But what is Deter's agenda? And who is behind him? Mendenhall? Then what does he want? Is Mendenhall just a pawn, too? Could the real "Boss" behind it all be Luthor?

I liked how you described Clark's session with Dr Friskin. Clark felt Superman die. Yes, indeed.

Like I said, this is a totally captivating fic, Dandello.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
In the original story we never found out Deter's motivation for going after Lois and there was only a hint that he had a bad habit of seducing female patients - he was warned by one of the nurses to 'be careful'.

Originally, Mendenhall was the 'real' bad guy. He was programing patients to become assassins then killing them when they'd done their job and he had picked Lois as his next subject.

I never bought into the idea that Deter 'fell in love' with Lois for no other reason than she was beautiful and helpless - it just doesn't scan. So he had to have an ulterior motive we never found out about (unless someone dosed him with Miranda's pheromone.) Now that's an idea... :rolleyes:

I also never bought into the idea that Deter (a supposedly brilliant doctor) never caught on to the fact that Mendenhall's patients had a habit of dying suddenly of stokes? A good diagnostician is a detective as well. And Deter was missing clues that were screaming at him.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
This was wonderful as usual. I loved all the interactions between Lois and Clark.

I also really liked the visit with Friskin although I was surprised to see Lois allowed in. Personally, I think Friskin is on to the truth and wouldn't be surprised if Lois figures it out herself once she's had a chance to think it over.

I am very curious as to what's going on with Deter's old patients. I thought at first that perhaps he had somehow seen them and brainwashed them, but then Mrs. Smith was clearly afraid of him. So, just what is going on?

Post more soon - I am dying to see where this is going.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, in the real world, Lois probably might not have been let in during Friskin's interview with Clark, but since it's from Lois's POV, she had to be there. :p

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Clark gave her the address – a coffee shop in the Lafayette neighborhood. With the afternoon traffic, it would take most of the hour to get there.
I love this little detail. Of course, most cities are divided into unofficial neighborhoods or suburbs. Also, in the series they walked many places which should have been an hour drive.

Lois caught Clark chuckling as they entered the elevator.

“What?” she demanded.

“I’m just wondering how many people in Metropolis use the central morgue as a landmark over either of the hospitals,” Clark said.
rotflol

I am not jealous,’ Lois repeated to herself under her breath.
She says that in the same way that I mutter to myself, "I'm not going insane. These kids are not driving me insane."

But the ending... Grief is horrible.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard