Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is my favorite quote from last part, Terry:

She stopped at a red light and flexed her fingers. “Well – there is something, actually.”

“What?”

She drummed her fingers on the steering wheel. “You'll laugh.”

“No, I won't. Now what's wrong? Are you nervous about this interview? It's understandable. This is a big deal.”

“No, it's not the interview. I'm as ready for that as I'll ever be. It's just – you're sure you won't laugh?”

“Positive.” He shifted in the seat to face her. “Now what's bothering you?”

She pursed her lips and glanced his way again, then stared at the traffic signal as if challenging it to rescue her. It didn't, of course. “You – you're not in my head.”

“What?”

The light changed and she accelerated. “You're not in my head. I can't sense you mentally, through the link.”

Clark frowned in confusion. “I thought that was what we wanted. I don't eavesdrop on you, you don't eavesdrop on me.”

She shrugged. “Yeah, well, I kinda got used to being aware of you.”

“I see.”

She flipped on her turn signal – a courtesy to other drivers she often ignored – and negotiated a corner. “I kinda miss it.”
It's great that Lois misses sensing Clark inside her head. I so hope she will want that link back soon, or at least, that she will be able to mentally call Clark if she needs him, in spite of having "closed the link off". Because, with her visceral attraction to someone like Lex Luthor, she is most certainly going to need Clark's help.

At the very end of this part, Lois got a stark reminder that Luthor definitely has something really sinister to hide:

“I have been by his side ever since that day. I will never leave him.”

“Then you probably know where all the bodies are buried.”

He was visibly shocked. “Bodies? What bodies?”

Lois tried to backpedal. “No, I'm sorry, I don't mean literal dead people. I just meant that you must know about anything that might be – you know – less than – uh – “

Asabi's smile disappeared and he turned to face her. “It is not my place to criticize any guest of Mr. Luthor, nor to give unsolicited advice to one such as yourself.” He leaned closer. “But I must tell you that if you print anything untrue or salacious about Mr. Luthor, I would be most upset by it.” His black eyes turned onyx with menace and he continued in a whisper. “Most upset. I hope I am making myself clear to you, Miss Lane. Because Mr. Luthor saved my life, and I would protect him from harm with all of my being.”

For once, Lois's common sense asserted itself and she said nothing as Asabi stared at her. After almost ten seconds of intense scrutiny, he slowly turned back to face the door again. His smile never reappeared.
Obviously there are bodies that are buried because of Luthor. If there weren't, Asabi wouldn't have reacted that strongly. Surely, if Lois had asked Asabi how Luthor was doing at tax evasion, he wouldn't have reacted anything like that? He might very well have disliked the question, but he wouldn't have been shocked.

Unfortunately, Lois will probably forget all her suspicions once her hormones are exposed to Luthor's "magnetism" again. frown

This reminds me of something I read in a Swedish daily just a week or so ago. A female columnist wrote how she had come across "a dangerous-looking male with an absolutely animal kind of charisma". The columnist wrote how she was suddenly almost drowning in a raging flood of sex hormones, and she was barely able to stop herself from running straight at the man and bodily throwing herself at him, plastering him with kisses. Her rational mind repeated over and over again, I can't trust that man! Never! No way! If I get involved with him, I'll get hurt so badly! But her body kept screaming, Want him! Want him!

A colleague of mine, Arnost Rusek, a science teacher and my own favorite intellectual, insists that women get turned on by obviously dangerous men, because they know that other women also respond so strongly to them. Therefore, dangerous men have many women, and they get many children, too. Therefore, if a woman is lucky enough to have a son by a dangerous man, chances are that her son will be just as dangerous as his father, and that way he will be just as attractive as his father, too. Then he, too, will be a promiscuous man with many women, and he, too, will have many children. And that way the woman who had a son by a dangerous man will have huge numbers of grandchildren, which is precisely what her genes want, if not necessarily her conscious mind.

I keep telling Arnost that not all women are attracted to dangerous men. He concedes my point, and then he counters by insisting that many women are attracted to dangerous men. And I sigh and concede his point.

Here's hoping that Luthor won't make Lois lose her head so completely that she forgets that she misses having Clark inside the part of her anatomy which she lost, her head. Fortunately, I think that Lois's need to have Clark inside her head is a visceral thing, too, and that way she is likely to remember.

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Here are my replies to two of the most faithful posters of quality feedback in FOLCdom.

Maria wrote:

Cat Grant made her way to the storeroom for liquid paper and fresh pens. When she was sure she was alone, she dialed her special cell phone.

“Yes, Miss Grant?”

Cat swallowed hard. “Lois – Lois Lane and Clark Kent have an interview with Lex Luthor tomorrow morning at eleven.”

“Kent will be there?” The voice betrayed surprise.

“Yes. I think he’s going to get some background information on the company.”
Why Clark haven pick up on her conversation? confused
That's a very good question, Maria. The only answer I can give is that Clark isn't always there when Cat makes her "special" calls, and when she does she's trying for privacy and Clark always tries not to eavesdrop. If he heard everything anyone said in the newsroom, he'd be so confused he'd never get any work done.

You also asked about possible sabotage where Platt is concerned. We'll learn all there is about Dr. Platt soon enough.

Ann, I'm glad you picked up on Lois's comfort level with Clark being in her head. It's something I really wanted to communicate, and I'm glad it's coming across.

As far as Asabi's reaction to Lois's question about where the bodies are buried, I may have tripped you on an American idiom. The phrase refers to knowledge of possibly damaging secrets, such as a political candidate's adolescent drug use or employment of an illegal alien within the household. It doesn't necessarily refer to literal dead bodies.

I would respond to your mention of Swedish women who chase "dangerous" men by reminding you that many men pursue "dangerous" women (by that I mean women who promise pleasure but not real love or commitment or honesty) in similar fashion, and I seriously doubt that such behavior is defined by any set of national borders. Lois will figure out what to do with Luthor, I promise. I only wish to remind the gentle readers that I sometimes play with the backstory on certain characters. It's entirely possible that Lex Luthor is, in this story, not one of the bad guys.

Arnost sounds like an intelligent guy. I wonder if he believes that we are all such slaves to our genetic structure that our free will is simply an illusion to which we have adapted in order to facilitate dealing with a determinist universe?

Just a thought.

Next chapter up by tomorrow night. I have some minor tinkering to do.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As far as Asabi's reaction to Lois's question about where the bodies are buried, I may have tripped you on an American idiom. The phrase refers to knowledge of possibly damaging secrets, such as a political candidate's adolescent drug use or employment of an illegal alien within the household. It doesn't necessarily refer to literal dead bodies.
I didn't think that the phrase was meant to be taken literally at all, Terry. After all, Lois would hardly have asked the question about a man she is so obviously attracted to, and in such a flippant manner, if she had been the least bit serious about wanting to know where Lex had buried the people he had killed!

No, but I meant that because Asabi is a foreigner, he might take the question seriously, just for a millisecond. Long enough to lose his cool and his composure. Especially if he knew that the dead and buried bodies were real enough. And by losing his cool, he might be Lois to the fact that dead bodies were more than a figure of speech. No matter he found it so hard to smile afterwards!

Speaking about the attractiveness of dangerous men. In 1988, this young man, Juha Valjakkala of Finland, was seized and arrested after a massive manhunt, after he had killed an entire family in a small village in northern Sweden.

[Linked Image]

When I saw this picture, I felt absolutely certain that thousands, if not tens of thousands, of young Swedish women would fall totally and crazily in love with the young murderer the moment they laid eyes on this picture. And you know what, Terry? I was right. Truckload after truckload of love letters arrived at the prison where he was locked up. At least three girls tried to break him out of prison, and one almost succeeded. A pastor who I met several times wrote petitions and newspaper columns arguing that Valjakkala should be allowed to marry the admirer that he liked best, a nineteen-year-old Swedish girl. In Scandinavia, prisoners are not forbidden to marry in prison, although in this case the match was regarded as unsuitable. Nevertheless, thanks in no small part to the pastor's efforts, Valjakkala was able to marry his girl after a few months. Since then he has divorced and remarried at least three times in prison.

Valjakkala was sentenced to life in prison. After a few years in Swedish prisons, he was moved to a prison in Finland, his home country. A month ago, he was pardoned by Finnish authorities. He will be set free next year.

Ann

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
That's a fascinating concept Ann. You are right, there is something in that man's eyes that is strangely appealing.
Cheers
Emma

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard