Print Thread
I
Isa Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I
hyper

That was brilliant! ... and well worth the wait...

I like the sound of "weekly postings after finals" and hope this story will continue for a long time yet! smile

Isa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow great job. I am proud of Lois and Clark was so sweet in his vulnerable state of emotional mess. laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah!!!Smirky posted another chapter! Party time!! [Linked Image]

This was a great chapter.

Clark's whole mental discussion was just to wonderful. I had this image of a little hyper dog running in circles in his head [Linked Image](like this only much more frantic)I'm a bit surprised he wasn't dizzy by the time they got to the park.

I just wanted to cry when he had to leave. I could feel my heart ripping in two. Here he was doing the "right" thing and hoping he wasn't waving goodby to the one thing he really wanted in life.

Lois stopped in a small kind of clearing in the shade of the trees and looked around. Clark could hear children playing, dogs running, old men playing chess, and a mother trying to stop her little son’s crying . . . in an airplane probably over 20,000 feet in the air above them. Nobody was close to them. He set the cooler down on the grass at Lois’s orders.
I love this paragraph. Especially the comment about the child crying in the airplane--NOONE is ANYWHERE near-by--YOu do know how to turn a wonderful phrase.

Clark’s eyes went to her—he looked positively anguished.
Can't you just see it--a look of panic, pain, fear, and need all wraped up in one. Thank-goodness Lois reconized it as well. . .

If he was really Superman, he should do his best to help take care of this new evil—the unseen enemy that his very blood and bone could cure. Otherwise, how could he claim to stand up for Truth when he was a liar to himself, even when he had sworn to do all he could do to help on the memory of his father?
I'm not going to quote this entire section--but I could because it was amazing. First--Clark seems to have lost most of his sense of self preservation--or deeded it to Lois. He knows he doesn't want to do this terrible thing, but has guilted himself into thinking it's wrong not to. I'm so Glad that Lois still wants to protect Kal/Clark--She'll go into Mad Dog Lane mode if he says he is really thinking about doing this--just to keep him safe.(or at least she had better.)

The revelation secene--so long in coming clap clap clap clap deserves a standing ovation--for really it was a double revelation.
“Lois,” he whispered, feeling so very weak and vulnerable that he wondered that he could even stand. He couldn’t look at her—couldn’t see the disappointment in her eyes. “I—I’m n-not who you think I am.”

Not human.

“I—I never meant to l-lie . . . .”

No. He never did. He never meant for any of this to happen. Never meant to bring her into this . . . .

“I hope you can forgive me. I c-can’t make any excuses . . . .”

He had none that were worth their weight in words. They were all empty. Weak. Cowardly.

“I . . . I just hope you’ll just—”

Accept me.

“—forgive me.”

Lois . . . . Lois . . . .

His voice was soft—was it even possible that she might not even hear him? He seemed to have lost the strength . . . lost all his strength. He couldn’t look at her.

He shut his eyes, listening to her heartbeat, noticing that she was oddly quiet—was she holding her breath, or was he going numb? Falling into deafness?

“Lois,” he whispered, his voice soft and low. He reached up to his glasses, feeling the cold of them against his shaking fingers. Slowly, he slipped them from his face and let his hand fall to his side. “I’m Superman.”

Silence.

It was done.
I LOVE the unspoken part of the revelation--His hopes and dreams and fears so clearly layed out, so elequently put on display--if only she could/would read between the lines. . .

And suddenly, she was there—a world of warmth and fire in a little whirl of wind.

Lois buried her face in his chest, and she clung to him like she had only a few nights before—only then he had been in his Suit, and she had been afraid that Superman was going to fly off without her. Now, he was just Clark. Just Clark.

He was holding her back before he knew it—holding her, never wanting to let go. His glasses fell unnoticed to the grass.

“You lunkhead,” she said, her voice muffled his coat. “You cursed, foolish, thick-headed, mule-brained [I]idiot.” Clark flinched, about to pull back, but her grip didn’t ease. “Look at me.”

Clark did so—opening his eyes hesitantly. She was watching him, and despite her firm words, her tone was strangely gentle. She gave a noble attempt at a smile, even while it shook and a stray tear ran down her cheek.

“What did I tell you about details?”

‘Details?’ Clark bit his lip as he tried to figure out what Lois was talking about . . . .

. . . and then he realized that Lois never said anything to Clark about details, but to Superman—no, Kal-El—, just the night before.

“I know you. I’ve seen your soul. I have seen that, Kal, and it doesn’t matter what little details I may or may not know, because they don’t matter.”
and then the sun [Linked Image]comes out and all is right because Lois made it so.

She stepped back slowly, her eyes moving over his face as if memorizing the features all over again, but she didn’t let him go. Clark couldn’t believe it. Was she in shock? Or had Lois been replaced by an irrationally, inhumanly calm clone while he was gone?
<snort> rotflol couldn't help but laugh at the clone comment. (not that the clone in L&C fit that discription, but . . .)

Wonderful. Looking forward to more (soon please)<big puppy dog eyes with me on my knees>

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm sorry I didn't have time to post FDK after I read the part when it poped up. I'm sorry though it won't be long.

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to the next part. I hope they get to rest a bit before any more adventures. Hugs to them both.

love

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Merriwether
Merriwether
I guess I'm getting greedy, but how's the next part coming?

wildguy

LOL

(Sorry if I missed any comments you have made about the next part already.)

peep

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Columnist
Columnist
I'm so glad that I was able to find some time to read this! This part was wonderful! Finally the revelation! I'm sorry that I don't have time to leave better fdk. I've been pretty MIA from the boards lately, but I am so glad that I took some time out to sit down and read this.

clap Wonderful job!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Blogger
Blogger
Does anyone know what's happened? I miss this story. Is Smirky alright?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A couple weeks ago I got a pleading email from an avid fan on fanfiction.net, and have been struck by guilt back into rememberance of my old friends around here. So, at last, here I am!

I don't have any more excuse than most of us have for disappearing. Busy semesters, busy life, and another fictional obsession that stole more time reading and researching than writing <guilty grin>. Either way, I have always intended on finishing this story, so here I am back to limp us along a little farther.

I'm currently working on polishing up the next chapter. Valar, it is hard to jump back into the right tone and everything after such a long break, but I hope it still works. Hope to hear from you guys, and I'll be back in the next few days to drop chapter 46 off.

Just a kind of warning, if you feel like you need a refresher. lol. I knew I did!

I don't even know how many of my old friends are still around here, but for those who are and those who aren't alike . . . this chapter being written purely for good friends and readers who encourage writers along their way, even when they disappear for months on end without explanation.

Hope to hear from you!

Rachel
SmirkyRaven

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome back, Rachel!

Of course I'm always ready to read more. wink I look forward to whatever you throw at me!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Blogger
Blogger
OMG... now there's a teaser!

I am SO glad to hear that you're writing again! Welcome back! smile1

Here…poke that.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by SmirkyRaven:
I'll be back in the next few days to drop chapter 46 off.

Just a kind of warning, if you feel like you need a refresher. lol. I knew I did!
Darkest Dreams TOC

Framework4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! It's great to see that I haven't been forgotten!

Just for everyone to know, I'm planning on posting the next chapter tonight, so within the next 4-5 hours or so.

Thanks again,

SmirkyRaven

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard