Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! goofy Claude feet are almost out.

He hadn’t spoken to Lois about his confused feelings yet. He wasn’t sure she’d understand. For that matter, he wasn’t sure he understood. Several times during the stakeout or during breakfast he’d almost spoken to her about them, but something had stopped him each time. Maybe he was afraid of seeming too needy. Maybe he was afraid she’d reject him or be repulsed by his overtures. Maybe he was afraid she’d misunderstand and expect something more from him than he was ready to give. Or that she’d misunderstand and expect far less from him than he was ready to give.

Maybe he just didn’t know how to explain what he felt for her.
eek He is very confused.

He hadn’t spoken to Lois about his confused feelings yet. He wasn’t sure she’d understand. For that matter, he wasn’t sure he understood. Several times during the stakeout or during breakfast he’d almost spoken to her about them, but something had stopped him each time. Maybe he was afraid of seeming too needy. Maybe he was afraid she’d reject him or be repulsed by his overtures. Maybe he was afraid she’d misunderstand and expect something more from him than he was ready to give. Or that she’d misunderstand and expect far less from him than he was ready to give.

Maybe he just didn’t know how to explain what he felt for her.
grumble He is letting go.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
A nice L-O-O-O-ONG part. Thank you. I actually had to read it in two settings, since real life interupted. It read well that way, by the way, since there were two moods to this part. The casual, business friendship was fun. Claude was a bombastic jerk. In other parts he seemed calculating, but in this part he was just an impulsive, loud-mouthed jerk.

Real life invades again, so the feedback will have to be shorter than it deserves.

Elisabeth

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Clark suddenly tensed. “Uh-oh.”

She snapped to attention. “What is it?” she whispered. “What do you see?”

“Uh – I have to go.”

“You heard something?” She turned. “Robbery? Car wreck? Earthquake? What?”

“Bathroom.”

She goggled at him. “Wh-what?”

“I have to go to the bathroom.”

The absurdity of the situation almost knocked her down to the floorboard. Apparently Superman had to answer the call of nature just like everyone else. “So, you are human after all.”

He glowered at her under the wan moonlight. “That part of me is, yes. Now where's the nearest men's room?”

She tried unsuccessfully to hide her grin as she pointed to a dumpster across the street.

His eyes widened. “You've got to be kidding.”

“Nope.”

“There? Come on, Lois! There's got to be a convenience store or gas station or something close by.”

“Closest open store is about eight blocks away, unless you want to break in somewhere. It'd take you a while to walk the distance.”

“I could fly there and back.”

“If you flew fast enough not to be seen, wouldn't that create a sonic boom? Or at least a lot of wind?”

“Yes,” he muttered. He pressed his lips together and shifted in his seat. “Nuts! I hate this.”

“Can't you hold it?”

“I'm not that super.”

She clenched her fists in an effort not to dissolve into gales of laughter. “Behind the dumpster. Make sure – make sure no one's using it as a windbreak.”
I didn't know what not to quote from this conversation, because it was so inordinately funny!

It is interesting that this is only the second fic I can remember that clearly tells us about Clark's need to go to the bathroom. (The other fic is Squid and Jenny Debb's splendid A Gift For Life, where Clark comes down with cancer and is treated with some radioactive stuff, if I remember correctly. Anyway, he is told to be careful with his bodily waste products, since they will be radioactive, too.)

EDIT: There is also a scene where Clark is using the bathroom for *that* purpose in Carol Malo's splendid Recognition: The Only Way.

There is something about Clark's need to go to the bathroom that really makes him very human, and not godlike at all. Given Lois's awakening feelings for him, Clark's bathroom needs can only make her react to him even more tenderly. Who else but her has ever been asked by Superman to direct him to the nearest bathroom? Well, there is Lana, of course, but she is dead, and his parents, but they don't really count.

She forced herself to look stern. “Go. I promise I won't peek.”

“Come on!”

“I'll keep watch while you're busy. Maybe you can return the favor later.” She lifted a thermos. “I brought lots of coffee.”

He glared at her again, then reached for the door handle. “You're enjoying this altogether too much.”

She shielded the courtesy light with a towel she'd brought for that very purpose as he slipped out and quietly shut the Jeep's door. Lois leaned her forehead on the steering wheel and tried to muffle her laughter.
Of course she enjoyed herself too much! But with all that coffee, she will have to go the bathroom - or around the dumpster - too.

The pressure in her abdomen abruptly grew and she hissed between her teeth.

“Lois? What's wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“I don't think so. You're wriggling around like a nightcrawler on a fishing hook.”

“Eww. Thank you so much for that visual.”

“No, really, Lois, are you okay?”

She lowered the binoculars. “No. Now I have to go. Satisfied?”

He almost hid his grin. “Yes, I am, especially since I went a while ago.”
rotflol

“Funny thing about this bust.”

“What's funny? I thought it was a textbook arrest.”

“It was, Clark, but those cars weren't as valuable as I'd expected, and I don't think we nabbed the boss, or even the local manager. Those bozos were pretty much either protection or just parts-pullers.”

Clark frowned back. “Are you saying someone tipped them off and all you really got was the small fry?”

Henderson's eyebrows rose. “Me? I'd never accuse anyone of doing something like that.” He stood and began walking away. “Gotta go. I have to get these fingerlings booked before the public defender can round up bail.”

Clark was left standing alone with his jaw slightly askew. Was Henderson hinting that either he or Lois was feeding information to the carjackers?

He thought about it and decided that the answer was "no.' Bill was just expressing an opinion on something that was bothering him.

Something that he'd shared with Clark but not with Lois. Most interesting.
How interesting that Henderson would tell clark but not Lois. It was of course Lois who called him from the Daily Planet and asked him to come and make the arrests. Does Henderson suspect her of deliberately aiding criminals and helping the big fish to get away by allowing the police to catch the small fry? I can't really believe it. But maybe Henderson suspects that someone at the Daily Planet is watching Lois and working for the criminals?

“I care to hear it not!” Claude shoved him again, this time past the desk.
A small nitpick, Terry. Would Claude really be a reporter for the Daily Planet if his command of English was this bad?

“Sit down, Lois.” She complied silently. Perry pulled out his chair and settled into it. “Now, tell me what just happened in my newsroom. Did I actually see Clark Kent punch a coworker?”

“He was justified.”

Perry shook his head. “No, he wasn't, and we both know why.”

“He was provoked.”

“That's not good enough either and you know that too.”

Her gaze bored into her boss's eyes. “That's it, isn't it? Because of Clark's special abilities, you're holding him to a higher standard than the rest of us.”

He sighed again. “Yes, I am doing that. I admit it. But I'm also right.”
I love that Perry is holding Clark to a higher standard! Now that he knows that Clark is Superman, Perry is expecting him not to use his super-strength where it isn't needed, such as when he gets into fights at work. Most certainly he didn't start the fight, and he didn't do anything to keep it going, and I think Claude was lucky that Perry didn't fire him right away. Even so, Superman shouldn't knock down an annoying little reporter.

She stood slowly and moved towards the door. “I'll go. But this isn't over.”

“It'd better be over! Best thing to do now is to just let it go.”

She paused with her hand on the doorknob. “I promised Lana that I'd take care of him, and I intend to do just that. I won't let you or anyone else hurt him. If it's the last thing I do, Perry, I'm going to protect him.”

“Oh? And how are you going to do that?”

She opened the door. “By any means necessary, using any methods necessary.”
I like the fact that Lois is so protective of Clark, but I hope she doesn't go too far when she tries to protect him.

He didn't feel towards Lois the way he'd felt towards Lana, but there was something between them, something palpable that cut through his defenses every time they stood close to each other, every time she smiled, every time he made her laugh. He didn't know what that meant, and it bothered him that he didn't know.

It also bothered him that he enjoyed her company so much. It was almost as if Lois had become a part of him, as if she filled some void in his heart that he didn't even know was there before they became friends.
I love Clark's musings about Lois. It is clear that he loves her. I can't remember seeing Clark's feelings for Lois described like this in any other story you have written, Terry.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
As usual, I apologize for popping out for a bit. I've been a busy little beaver these days. Well I'm trying to be...but on with the comments...

Hmmm, I do have to admit not being such a fan of bathroom humor in *thinks* nope, in any situation. It's beyond weird how I laugh at the most unpc, disturbing jokes and human waste icks me. Maybe its because I married a frat boy.

Hmm again. Now, that doesn't make sense either.

Oh well. Feel free to point and laugh. wink But I did like that we get an idea of the friendly intimacy between Lois and Clark. I really see their feelings as something in its beginning stages, on some really stable foundation.

So the only real problem I had this chapter was Claude, he seemed a bit of a caricature at times with his faulty English and his hyperbolic thoughts. And his explosion was just so...pathetic and... insane?

Then I thought about it some more and thought maybe this is the flip side to all that postulating (taking from canon) that Claude is some sort of suave debonaire type. I guess if I consider it like that then it makes it better for me, because otherwise he comes out a little...flat, I suppose. Maybe you were going for that though.

Also, I can see this scene playing out in an episode of the series. smile And I need to add that it was actually very keeping with the comedic mood started off by the stake out (or I read it comically...despite the tension). It was good to bring in Perry, because he was a good transition to the more serious ending section with Clark talking to 'Lana'. And I know if he's having these feelings for Lois the shoe HAS to be about to drop. Or I hope it will drop. You aren't filling out the remaining parts with hearts and flowers, are you Terry? wink

I can't wait.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for the feedback, FOLCs!

Ann, your comment about Claude
A small nitpick, Terry. Would Claude really be a reporter for the Daily Planet if his command of English was this bad?
is perfectly valid. In my defense of my characterization of him, I must point out that written command of a language is different from spoken command, and most reporters have their stories reviewed by an editor before publication, so any French constructions he might leave in would be weeded out. Also, at this point Claude is very angry (unjustified, of course), and when one is very angry one often loses part of a second language, especially if that fluency is recently gained. So, all in all, I think Claude's grammar errors are understandable.

Maria, I think you're right about Clark starting to let go of Lana a little bit. He feels something for Lois, and we'll see more of it soon.

Elisabeth, thanks for taking the time to comment. I tried to cut this story down to size, I really did, but all those story points masquerading as flamingos keep poking out and squawking at me! You should see the stuff I decided NOT to put in this monster.

Ann, you pointed out that Henderson told Clark something that he didn't tell Lois. Maybe it's a test to see if that info gets around to the wrong people. If not, then Clark may not be the leak. It's the kind of thing that sneaky cops sometimes do when they have no legitimate avenues of investigation open to them. Besides, Bill already knows Lois and seems to trust her, so maybe it has nothing to do with her.

And maybe it does after all. Hmmm.

Alcyone, I'm sorry if you were put off by the humor in the first part. (It's not a big part of the story, I promise!) There were a couple of reasons for it, some of which haven't been revealed yet. But I got similar reactions from my betas. One thought it was hysterical, one thought it was kinda funny but gross, and one asked me if I really wanted to put that kind of thing in my story. It just points up something we've discussed before in a lot of different threads, that not everyone is the same and not everybody likes the same things.

And no, the remaining thirty-plus parts aren't filled with hearts and flowers. Who'd believe that of me anyway?

Next chapter up soon!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard