Here is the third installment... Any feedback is appreciated. clrgard

previously…

“Jerry Click, Daily Oklahoman. When do you expect to have a final victim count?” ‘The voice was the same.’ Lois thought vaguely. The speaker answered the question but Lois did not pay any attention to his reply. The man looked back toward Lois.

“… we will bring you further updates as we have them…” Lois blinked to break the contact as the speaker’s words registered with her. The news conference was over and she missed the whole thing. She remained fixed in her seat. The man that had distracted her was slowly moving away from the debriefing site.

‘You should go after him’ her mind reminded her, but she was glued to her seat.

“Clark…” she whispered. The man lifted his head for an instant, then continued on, as if he had not heard anything.

She remained there for another moment, then the shock finally wore off and she immediately went into action. She planned to find out everything she could on Jerry Click.

and now…

Lois returned to her desk at the Tulsa World. Her editor saw her arrive and met her at her desk.

“Karli, what did you get?”

“The bridge collapsed because a barge went off course and took out some of the support beams. They’re still searching for victims, but there won’t be anymore survivors.” Lois replied. “I’ll LAN it to you as soon as I get it typed.”

“Alright, just hustle.”

“Will do.” Lois sat down at her computer. Soon the story was written and on the way to the editor.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“City Room. This is Jimmy.”

“Lois Lane, please.”

“May I ask who is calling?”

“Jerry Click.”

“Um… just a moment, please.“

Minutes passed and Jimmy had not returned to the phone. ‘This isn’t good.’ He thought to himself. ‘Has something happened to Lois?’ Jerry was into full panic mode by the time Jimmy returned to the phone.

“Mr. Click?”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry, Miss Lane is not available. I could connect you with one of our other reporters, if you would like.”

“I am calling on personal business, not for a story.” Jerry explained. “Does she have a cell phone or pager that I may call to contact her?”

“I’m sorry, sir. I am not at liberty to release that information.”

“Who would have the authority to release it?”

“Our editor-in-chief, Mr. White.”

“May I speak to him, please?”

“Yes, sir. Just a moment.”

Jerry sat in silence again. ‘This would be so much simpler if I just told them who I really was.’

“Perry White.”

“Mr. White, this is Jerry Click. I am trying to contact Lois Lane. The gentleman who answered the phone could not give me her contact number, and said that you might.”

There was a long pause. “What is this regarding?”

Jerry carefully weighed his response. “I hesitate to say, Mr. White, as it is a very personal matter.”

“Mr. Click, I will not release any personal information until I know what this is about.”

Clark sighed inwardly. He should have expected this. Truth be known, Perry was just as stubborn as Lois when he wanted to be. “It is about her former fiancé.” He acquiesced.

“Come again?”

“I have information about Clark Kent.”

“Mr. Click, I don’t know what you are trying to pull, but Clark Kent is dead. He has been dead for the past six years. Now, unless you have anything else…”

“I realize that, sir, but I have details about his death that I believe Miss Lane should be aware of. I have tried diligently to find her on my own, but have been unsuccessful. If you could give me any information on how to contact her, her office hours, email address, anything, I would be grateful.”

“I’m afraid that Lois doesn’t work for the Daily Planet any longer.”

Jerry paused a moment to recollect himself. ‘Why would she leave the Planet and why is Perry being so protective of her?’ “Could you tell me where she is now?”

“No, sir. Not until you level with me.”

“Pardon?”

“You may be able to pawn that garbage off on someone else, but I’m not falling for it. Now, if you want to know where Lois is, you better stop blowing smoke and start telling the truth.”

‘This was a mistake.’ Jerry finally realized. ‘I should’ve hung up as soon as I was transferred to Perry.’ He sighed. ‘Oh, well, too late now. I might as will spill everything.’ “Okay, Chief, I’ll tell you everything, but I would prefer not to discuss it on the phone. Would it be okay to meet you in the conference room by your office, say, around 8:00 tonight?”

“I hesitate to do so, but I guess I will.”

“Thank you. One more thing, you might tell Jimmy to come also. He will want to hear this as well.”

“Okay. 8:00 tonight.”

“Thanks again.”

“Bye.”

Jerry returned the phone to its cradle and glanced at the clock. 4:30. He had three hours before he needed to leave. He knew it would take an hour to get ready. That left him with two hours to figure out what he would tell Perry and Jimmy.

As the elevator doors opened, Jerry took a deep breath. The City Room still looked the same. It was already deserted for the day and Jerry was grateful. He had not planned on being here at all, and did not want to accidentally run into anyone that might remember him. He took a long look at his and Lois’ desks, silently wishing that Lois and he were there again, working on their latest story. He quickly pulled himself out of his reverie. Wishing for something would not make it so. He quietly made his way to the Conference Room. God, how he hated being here. It made him miss her that much more. He would have picked a different location to meet, but he was afraid that Perry would not come if it were held anywhere else. He positioned himself at the conference table with his back to the door. He still had not figured out what he was going to say. He didn’t want to tell them EVERYTHING, especially his secret identity, but it didn’t look like he had a choice.

The door to the room opened and Perry and Jimmy approached Jerry. He turned to face the pair and offered his hand.

“Mr. White? Jerry Click.” He said as Perry shook his hand. “Please forgive me for not standing.” He then turned to Jimmy. “Jimmy.” He shifted slightly in his chair. “Please sit down, Gentlemen.”

Jerry repositioned himself, took a deep breath, and ran a hand over his beard before he began. “I am sure you are wondering what I could possibly say to explain why I need Lois Lane’s contact information. I assure you I have a very valid reason.” Jerry removed his hat, exposing his now long sandy blond hair, and took off his sunglasses, quickly replacing them with his usual pair of glasses. “The fact is: I am Clark Kent.” He said, returning his voice to its normal tambour. He waited a moment for the reality of his revelation to sink in.

“As I told you on the phone, Mr. Click, Clark Kent is dead, and has been dead for six years.” Perry said forcefully. “I still don’t know what kind of game you’re trying to pull, but I will most certainly not allow you to speak to Lois if you’re going to give her the same cockamamie story.”

“She’s been through enough.” Jimmy agreed.

Jerry sighed. What could he do to prove to them that he was who he said? “I assure you that I am speaking the truth.” He finally replied.

“I’m afraid that that is not good enough.” Perry answered roughly. “You’re going to have to do better than that.”

Jerry racked his brain for something, anything that he could give as proof. As skeptical as they were, it would have to be something that would prove his identity beyond a shadow of a doubt.

“Mr. Click,” Perry impatiently interrupted Jerry’s thoughts, “I am eager to hear your explanation.”

“I know, Chief,” Jerry answered. “Lois doesn’t like for anyone to edit her copy.” He said, stalling for time.

“That doesn’t prove anything,” Jimmy snapped. “Anyone with half a hemisphere could tell that Lois didn’t tolerate that from anyone.”

Jerry nodded, smiling. “That’s true. Not even Superman.” He smiled to himself at the memory. “Lois originally wanted to call the green rock at Wayne Irig’s place ‘Kryptonium’, but I said that since it was from a meteorite, that it should be called ‘Kryptonite’, and you,” he continued, looking at Perry, “told us that we would have to work it out on our own.”

Perry nodded. “I remember that. That was a long time ago.” He studied Jerry carefully. “I’m still not sure,” he admitted. “Like Jimmy said, Lois has been through enough. I don’t want to get her hopes up, and then you turn out to be a fake and break her heart all over again.”

“You must believe me, Chief, I would never want to do anything that would cause her anymore pain. I know that it must have been hard for her for awhile. I know how hard it was for me.” Jerry said his voice full of sadness. “Remember when we were up here late one Saturday and the Planet was taken over by those people looking for Dragonetti’s vault? Jimmy, you walked in when they called in the ‘mastermind’ behind the raid, so everyone thought it was you until we saw Willie had you at gunpoint. And, Lex Luther got shot and I told you to make a compress for the wound out of tea bags, chewing gum, and…”

“Orange juice.” Perry finished.

Jerry smiled. “Orange juice.” He echoed.

“Clark?” “CK?” Perry and Jimmy asked in unison. They both still seemed unbelieving, but hopeful.

“Yes, it’s really me. I didn’t die six years ago.”

Perry eyed the wheelchair questioningly. Although he tried to be subtle, the gesture did not escape Clark’s attention. He looked at his former boss. “I’ll explain everything, if you would like for me to.” Perry nodded silently.

Clark took a deep breath. “Okay, before I begin, I need to tell you something else that may come as a shock to you.” He paused. “I was Superman.” He said plainly. Receiving no response from his audience, he continued. “I went to New Krypton to stop a Civil War, but I was too late and the war had already started. During one of the battles, my back was broken and my spinal cord was completely severed. I was returned to Earth.”

“How long have you been back?”

“Just over a year. Zara and Ching were supposed to design a device that would allow me to walk again, but it did not work. I was waiting until I was well to let everyone know I was alive, but I now know that will never happen. I’ve been trying to track Lois down ever since I came to this realization. I found her when I first came back and had been keeping tabs on her until she disappeared about a year ago. I could not find anyone in the world named “Lois Lane.” I finally gave up on finding her on my own and thought I would get the information from you. I didn’t realize what I would have to go through to get it though. I wanted Lois to be the first one to know I am back.” Clark finished softly.

“She was.” Perry replied simply.

“What do you mean?” Clark asked, puzzled by the statement.

“Zara and Ching came to Lois a few weeks ago, looking for you.”

“What?”

“Yeah. They came and told her that you had been paralyzed during a battle on New Krypton, sent back to escape execution, and they needed to find you.”

“Why would they contact her?”

“I guess they thought that you would contact her as soon as you returned to Earth.”

“And she told you everything?”

Perry nodded.

“So, that means she told you about my secret identity as well.”

“She waited years before she told us. In fact, she didn’t say anything until the night before she moved to Tulsa.”

“Tulsa?”

“Yeah, she started working at the Tulsa World.”

Clark was dumbfounded. “Why?”

Perry shrugged. “She just came in one day and said that she couldn’t work here any more. It was too hard for her.”

“But that still doesn’t explain why I can’t find her name anywhere.” Clark pointed out.

Perry nodded. “I know. She changed her name when she moved.”

“Changed it?” Lois loved the prestige that her name held. Why would she change it? “To what?”

“We don’t know.” Jimmy supplied. “She wouldn’t tell us. I tried to track her down, but couldn’t. She calls from time to time, but we have no way to reach her.”

“How did Ching and Zara find her?” Clark inquired.

The pair shrugged. “I don’t know.” Perry replied.

“Maybe they scoured the Earth using their super powers.” Jimmy offered.

Clark sighed heavily. After all of that, he was still no closer to his goal: finding Lois. Next stop: Smallville.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark took a deep breath, then knocked on the door. He did nothing to hide his surprise when a five year old came and opened it. The little boy peered at him through the screen door.

“Can I help you?” He asked without opening the door.

Clark faltered a moment. “I… I’m sorry.” He stammered. “I must be at the wrong house.”

“You look kinda fam… fa…” The little one stumbled on the word.

“Familiar?” Clark supplied.

“Yeah. That’s it!” He stood there a minute. “Who are you looking for?” He asked, finally.

“The Kents.”

The little boy smiled. “My last name is Kent!” He offered proudly.

Clark opened his mouth to respond when a voice within the house stopped him. “Jerome!”

The boy turned. “Yeah, Gramma.” He yelled back.

“Who are you talking to?” She asked as she approached the door. “Is there someone at the… oh, my God!” She said as she made eye contact with the visitor.

The little boy looked up at his Grandma. “Gramma, you okay?”

Martha nodded slowly as she opened the door. “Clark.” She said softly. She slowly reached for his hand as though he would disappear at any moment. Suddenly, her arms were around his neck and she was crying into his shoulder. “Oh, Clark.”

Jerome was tugging on his Grandma. “Gramma, what’s wrong?” He couldn’t understand why she was crying. “Gramma?”

“Martha, who was at the door?” Jonathan asked as he approached.

Martha slowly pulled away from Clark so Jonathan could see. “Clark?” He asked, disbelieving.

Clark nodded silently. “Son.” Jonathan said, grabbing his son’s shoulder in a familiar gesture of affection. “It’s good to see you, Son.”

“You, too, Dad.” He replied quietly.

“Grampa, what’s going on?” Jerome asked impatiently. “Grampa, who is he?”

Jonathan picked the little boy up. “Jerome, this is Clark JEROME Kent.” He said, answering his grandson.

“Hey, I’m Jerome Kent, too.” The little boy said, obviously excited.

Clark sat there, obviously confused, while Jonathon and Martha laughed silently at their grandson. “I know, Honey.” Martha replied.

“Why is his name the same as mine?” Jerome asked, eyeing the stranger.

“That’s a long story, Sweetie.” His Grandma answered. “Why don’t we take this conversation inside where it’s more comfortable?” She asked as she let Jerome down.

The little boy hurried to the door to open it for his grandparents and their visitor. He was about to explode with curiosity. The group filed into the livingroom. Martha and Jonathan took their usual seats in their recliners. Jerome bounced about on the sofa until he was scolded by his grandma, and resolved him self to sitting still on one end of the sofa, for the moment. Clark moved his chair as far into the room as he could, shifted slightly, then turned to his parents.

“I guess you weren’t surprised to see this either, considering the ramp out front.” He said quietly, gesturing to his chair.

“No, Son.” His dad answered. “Lois told us about her visit from Zara and Ching a few months ago.”

Clark nodded. “Perry and Jimmy told me about it.”

“You’ve seen Perry and Jimmy?” His mother asked, obviously shocked.

“Yes,” he admitted quietly, “I was trying to find Lois, so I contacted the Planet.”

“Did you find her?” Jonathan asked.

“Not yet, all they could tell me was that she had moved to Tulsa,” Clark answered. “That’s part of the reason I’m here. I wanted to go to her first, but since I couldn’t find her, I figured you would know how to get in touch with her.” He paused. “at least, I was hoping you would.” He finished quietly.

“Well, Son, she’ll be here in a few minutes.” Jonathan said, answering his question.

“Huh?” Clark’s head shot up to look at his father.

“She’s on her way to pick up Jerome.” Martha supplied. Clark looked at the little boy, who had quietly moved from the couch to the pile of his toys in the corner.

Clark rolled that piece of information over in his mind. “Is he…?” He began, his voice thick with emotion.

Martha nodded slowly.

“My son?” Clark asked, uncertain.

“Yes.” She replied simply.

“Oh, my God.” He said his voice a bare whisper. Tears threatened to fall as he sat there; absorbing the information he had just been given.

“Martha,” Lois yelled as she came through the front door.

“In here.” Jonathan yelled in response.

Lois entered the room. “Who’s car is…” She suddenly stopped when she saw him.

“Clark?” She asked quietly, looking to Martha and Jonathan for confirmation.

Clark turned around to face Lois. Her hair was longer, had been dyed blond and she now wore glasses, but he would recognize her anywhere. “Hi.” He said so low Lois almost didn’t hear him.

Suddenly Lois was in his lap, her arms wrapped tightly around him.

“I told you I would be back.” He whispered in her ear. She nodded silently.

The two remained unmoving for several moments. When Lois looked up again her son was gone, as were his grandparents.

“Oh, Clark. You’re here, you’re really here.” She said, kissing him firmly.

“Yeah. I’m here.”

“And you’re never going to leave me again, right?” Lois continued. Clark sat quietly. “Right?” She challenged.

Clark sighed, pushing her off his lap. “Please sit, Lois.”

“I was until you pushed me off.” She stated sharply.

“In a chair, Lois.” Clark clarified.

Lois sighed and slowly moved to the couch. Clark moved to where he was in front of her. He took a deep breath and released it slowly. He raised his face to look her in the eye. “I’m not here for the reasons you think.” He said simply. “I came to ask you a huge favor.” Lois sat, listening to him silently. Receiving no comment, he continued. “I want to use the red kryptonite laser to transfer my powers to you.”

“What?!” Lois exclaimed.

“I can no longer be Superman, but this world needs a hero. I want to give you my powers so you can be UltraWoman again.”

Lois stood up and started to pace. “I can’t. I won’t.” She began. “You’re Superman. I was horrible at it, remember? I couldn’t get the heat vision right and I couldn’t get there in time. I didn’t get to…” She continued, in full babble mode.

“Honey, you were great at it.” Clark said, trying to stop her tirade.

“I’m not Superman, you are. How could I ever do that? It would kill you to see me do that. It was bad enough when the transfer was temporary, much less doing this.” She argued.

“I know.” He admitted. “But it would hurt me much more to see innocent people die just because there was no hero to save them. The results greatly outweigh the sacrifices and my personal pain.” He paused. “Please, Lois. There’s no way I can do it any more. I don’t even have all of my powers. I can’t fly, my invulnerability is gone.” He sighed. “But I still hear the cries for help, the pleas for someone to save them. Do you know how much it hurts to hear someone calling out, begging for mercy and being unable to help them. It’s killing me.”

Lois’ mind was working in overdrive. “So, the only reason you are here is to ask me to become UltraWoman. Not to see me or your parents? As soon as I agree and the transfer is made, which I still haven’t said I would to do, you’ll leave again? That’s it?” Lois asked, enraged. “What about Jerome? You want him to continue to be raised without a father?”

to be continued...

Thanks again, clrgard

"Everything is okay in the end... If it's not okay, then it's not the end." ~Anonymous