After I thought about it, I realized that some people might have thought that this story was in a language other than English because of the title (when I originally started this, I wanted to be the first "z" story on lcfanfic.com... that tells you how long this has been in the making). The story is entirely in English. The only second language that I can speak fluently is Pig Latin and I'm not sure that counts wink .

Anyway, enough rambling... Here is the next part of Zoe Meta. Please let me know what you think!

previously…

“Lois, we must speak with Clark.” Ching said forcefully.

Lois stared at them blankly. “Lois, please, we are short on time. We need to speak to Clark.” Zara said softly.

“Why are you asking me? He’s still with you.” She said, her voice filled with venom.

“What?” Zara questioned quietly.

“I haven’t seen Clark in six years. Not since the day he flew off with you and left everyone he loved.” There was fire in her words.

“You must be mistaken.” Ching said rigidly. “Clark left New Krypton over a year ago.”

and now…

“And your just now figuring out that he’s gone? So, now you’ve come to take him back. The noble planet of New Krypton can’t be without their Lord Kal-El. Even if I knew where he was, why would I tell you? So you could take him from me again?” Lois was furious. “I don’t know where he is, and I wouldn’t tell you if I did.”

Zara stepped forward once again. “Lois, we’re not here to take him from you.”

“Then what do you want?” Lois was at the end of her patience and the curtness of her voice was proving it.

“We found something that we believe can help him with his injury.” Ching said, remaining calm, but still with a tone that commanded attention.

“His injury?” ‘What are they trying to pull now?’ She thought. ‘Kryptonians can’t be injured.’

“He was severely injured during a battle on New Krypton.” Zara supplied.

Ching elaborated further. “Since New Krypton has a red sun, Clark slowly began to lose his superpowers, including his invulnerability. However, he continued to fight, even though the Council of Elders did not approve. During one of the battles, Clark was hurt, badly.”

“That is why he was allowed to return to Earth.” Zara finished.

Lois sat down on her couch. “I’m lost.”

Zara sat on the couch next her. She took a deep breath. “On New Krypton, nobles who suffer a handicapping injury are killed to escape the dishonor of living with their injury. We convinced the Council of Elders to allow Clark to return to Earth instead of being executed.” She looked directly at Lois. “This was home to him and he wanted to come back.”

“We returned him about 20 months ago.” Ching offered.

Zara turned toward Lois again. “We assumed that he would come to you the moment he arrived. Have you not heard from him?” She asked softly.

Lois shook her head. “No, I haven’t.” Her voice was sharp. “Why are you doing this? Clark left me to go help you and he HASN’T come back. So, why are you doing this to me?”

“He did help us.” Zara replied patiently. “For almost five years.” She sighed heavily. “We were about to win our struggle when one of Nor’s men slipped into our camp in the middle of the night and severely injured Clark so he could no longer fight.”

“Wait...” Lois interrupted. “I thought he went there to prevent a war, not fight in one.”

“That is what we intended.” Ching said, his voice a little softer than before. “However, war was inevitable.” He paced the room as he spoke. “Nor challenged Clark for the throne, thereby launching the world into war. We fought. Clark fought right beside us, even though the Council of Elders disapproved of ruling the Lord of New Krypton being on the battlefield. He was right beside us until he was injured.”

“Injured? Injured how?”

“We told you, by Nor’s hitman.” Zara said softly.

“No,” Lois said, shaking her head. “That’s not what I mean. I want to know what his injures were.”

Ching and Zara exchanged a look. Ching nodded. Zara looked at Lois carefully. “Clark’s back was broken when Nor’s hitman attacked him.” She took a deep breath. “Lois, Clark is paralyzed.”

Lois felt her world collapse around her. Clark was home. No, NOT home. Home was with her. Clark was on Earth. And, he was badly injured. Then, the worst part: he didn’t tell her he was back. Why wouldn’t he tell her? Did he not love her anymore? No, she knew better than that. He was probably trying to protect her... as only he could. Damn him! Why did he have to act so noble?

“Lois, please, will you tell us where he is?” Ching asked sharply, breaking into Lois’ thoughts.
Lois sighed and dropped her head into her hands. She lifted her head up slowly until her chin rested in the palm of her hands. “I honestly don’t know.” She said, looking Ching directly in the eyes. “I haven’t seen him since he flew out of the Daily Planet with you.” She said softly, pain evident in her voice.

Zara turned to Ching. “We must search for him then.” Ching nodded in agreement.

Lois jumped up. “I’m going with you.”

Ching shook his head. “You can’t. We don’t have much time. We need to find him as soon as possible.”

Lois headed toward the window. “Then why are we still standing here? Let’s go.” She said impatiently.

“Lois, we’d be flying so fast that you’d be vaporized.”

“But I want to see him.” She defiantly replied.

“Lois, please understand. Time is not a luxury right now.” Zara interceded. “I’m sorry. We must leave soon and need to give this to Clark before we have to go. Don’t you want us to be able to help Clark?” When Lois didn’t answer, Zara looked at Ching. “We could give him a message. Is there anything you want us to tell him?”

Lois realized, reluctantly, that she would have to stay behind. “Yes,” she replied softly, “tell him that I love him... and I’m still waiting.” Tears slowly rolled down her face. “and, I miss him.”

Zara nodded. “Anything else?”

Lois slowly shook her head and wiped her tears off her face. “Could you please let me know where he is when you find him?”

Zara laid her hand on Lois’ shoulder. “If we have time, we will return and tell you, okay?”

Lois looked her in the eye. “I don’t have a choice, do I?” She asked softly.

Zara smiled sadly. “Not really.”

Lois nodded. “Good luck.”

“Thank you. Goodbye, Lois.” Ching said solemnly.

“Bye.”

As quick as they had appeared, Zara and Ching were gone. Lois slowly slid down the wall as a sonic boom announced the pair’s departure. She remained crouched against the wall and cried out with everything she had.

Hours later, Martha and Jonathan opened the door to Lois’ house to find her on the floor, curled up in a ball, silently sobbing. They immediately rushed to her side.

“Lois, honey, what is wrong? Is there something wrong with Jerome?” The worry was evident in Martha’s voice.

“No,” came the muffled response. “He’s fine.”

“Well, what is the matter?” Martha asked, as she helped Lois sat up.

“It’s Clark...” She said softly.

Martha felt her chest tighten in anticipation. “Is he...”

Lois slowly lifted her head to look at Martha. “He’s back.”

Martha quickly stood up and started scanning the house. “Where is he?”

Lois stood up beside Martha. “I don’t know.” She said quietly.

Martha turned to look at her. “Then how...”

“Zara and Ching came to me because they needed to speak to Clark and thought he would be here.” She paused to recollect herself and sat down on the sofa. “Apparently he’s been back for over year.”

“What?!” Martha and Jonathan asked in unison.

Lois sighed. “That’s what Ching and Zara said.” She took a deep breath. “They said he was severely injured in a battle and returned to Earth to escape a ceremonial killing.”

Martha gasped. “How could they even consider doing something like that? Killing a man because he was injured...”

“Kryptonians believe death is more preferable to living with a handicap. Especially if the person is of noble birth.”

Martha and Jonathan sat down on each side of Lois on the couch. “What type of injury does he have?” Martha asked quietly.

Lois gathered herself for a moment. “His back was broken.” She said softly. “He’ll be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.”

Jonathan stiffened at her words. The color drained out of Martha’s face as she processed what Lois had said.

This was not what the Kents’ expected to hear. Their son, who would never intentionally hurt anyone, was injured, almost killed, for a world that he sacrificed his life on Earth to help. He had made too many sacrifices already, but now... Now he had made a permanent sacrifice for them. And they wanted to repay him by killing him. Silently they thanked the person who suggested he return to Earth instead of being killed.

“Where are Zara and Ching now?” Jonathan asked, after a long pause.

“Looking for him. They said they found something that could help him heal.” Lois supplied, quietly.

“Help him heal?” Martha questioned. “How are they going to do that?”

Lois shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know.”

“Grampa! Grama!” Jerome yelled as he ran through the front door.

Jonathan scooped him up in his arms. “Hey, Jerome. How was school?”

“It was fun!” The excited four-year-old replied.

“Was it?”

Jerome nodded. “We had a party all day!”

“What did you learn today?”

“Grampa, it’s the last day of school. You’re not supposed to learn anything.” Jerome answered matter-of-factly.

“Is that so?”

“Yep.”

“Well, was it a good party then?” Jonathan asked, as he and Jerome walked toward the kitchen.

Lois listened to her son’s voice fading as they walked away.

“So, any sign of his father’s talents yet?” Martha asked after they were alone.

“I’m not sure.” Lois replied. “Sometimes, I think that he might be getting the hearing, but I don’t know for sure.”

“That was the first thing that Clark developed.” Martha supplied. “I think the first time we noticed was when he was five or six.”

“I want Clark to be here when Jerome gets older to help him control and understand his powers.”

“You know about them, too, Lois.” Martha reminded her.

“I know, but that was so long ago and even then I didn’t understand them really, it was all I could do just to control them and not burn anything.”

“True, but every little bit will help because if he’s anything like his father, he’s going to be scared and confused as his powers develop.”

“I know. But, Clark will be here, even if I have to scour the earth myself to find him, he’ll be here.”

“I just can’t believe he’s been back for a year and hasn’t contacted us.” Martha said, dejected.

“I know. I accused Zara and Ching of being liars.” Lois confessed. “Why would he not tell us?”

“Maybe he was waiting on the yellow sun to heal him and it never did.”

“He had better not be just acting noble.” Lois said. “’Cause if that’s the case, I’d like to give him a piece of my mind…”

“Lois?”

“But I’d just be so happy to see him that I’d probably forget to tell him.” She admitted.

Martha smiled. “I know. But remember, if he really is hurt like Zara says, he’s probably trying to protect you.”

“I know.” Lois agreed. “But, why does he do that? I want to see him no matter what. Doesn’t he want to see you or me?”

Martha smiled. “If I know my boy, he’s probably a lot closer than we think. So he can watch us or at least find out how we are doing pretty easily.”

Lois nodded. “Yeah, he’s probably right under our noses and we don’t even know it.” She looked at her watch. “I’ve got to get to work.”

“Now?” Martha asked.

“Yes, I get the bad hours since I’m just a junior reporter, but I think he maybe moving me to senior status soon. Then I’ll work days again.” Lois replied grabbing her coat.

“Here comes Jerome.” Martha said quietly.

“Jerome, are you going to be good for grama and grampa while Mommy’s at work?” She asked as she pulled him into her lap.

“Yes, Mommy. When will you be home?” He asked softly.

“As soon as I can, sweetie. You do what your grama and grampa tell you to, okay?”

“I will.” He answered, then gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“I’ll see you guys tonight.” Lois called as she walked out the door.

The Kent’s spent the rest of the week sightseeing and spending time with Jerome. Lois was enjoying their visit and she could tell that her son was to, but she was still thinking about Clark and had not heard another word from Zara and Ching since they left her house the other night.

Lois had just arrived at work on Sunday morning when a television news break came on. “This just in… the I-40 bridge near Webber’s Falls has just collapsed. Once again, the I-40 bridge near Webber’s Falls has just collapsed. We will bring you more information as it comes in.”

Lois’ editor walked out of his office. “Karli…”

“I’m on it.” She replied as she grabbed her coat and headed for the elevator.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lois pulled into Webbers Falls about an hour later and easily located the debriefing site. The next update was scheduled to occur in about half an hour. She busied herself trying to acquire information while she waited on the press conference. Finally, the conference began.

“… The rescue attempt continues to be impeded by the weather…” Lois was not paying attention to the speaker. All of her attention was focused on a sandy-blonde haired reporter a few rows in front of her. From her vantage point, she couldn’t make out his features, especially since his back was to her, but she could tell that he was in a wheelchair. He must have sensed someone staring at him, because he turned around. His face was covered with a full beard. Their eyes locked for a moment, and time seemed to stand still. Lois gasped from the intensity of his gaze. Only one person had ever made her react that way.

“I will take a couple questions at this time.” Every reporters’ hand immediately went up. “Sir…” The speaker called on a reporter. Lois searched for the selected reporter. It was the man she had been staring at. She listened intently as he spoke.

“Jerry Click, Daily Oklahoman. When do you expect to have a final victim count?” ‘The voice was the same.’ Lois thought vaguely. The speaker answered the question but Lois did not pay any attention to his reply. The man looked back toward Lois.

“… we will bring you further updates as we have them…” Lois blinked to break the contact as the speaker’s words registered with her. The news conference was over and she missed the whole thing. She remained fixed in her seat. The man that had distracted her was slowly moving away from the debriefing site.

‘You should go after him’ her mind reminded her, but she was glued to her seat.

“Clark…” she whispered. The man lifted his head for an instant, then continued on, as if he had not heard anything.

She remained there for another moment, then the shock finally wore off and she immediately went into action. She planned to find out everything she could on Jerry Click.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That's all for now... Let me know what you think!
clrgard

"Everything is okay in the end... If it's not okay, then it's not the end." ~Anonymous