Okay - I think I am running out of buffer here - might get a bit slower from here on out - sorry. I was going fast but then .. ah who knows what the muse wants eh? huh

Previously:

Lex scowled, he hadn’t wanted to move quite yet either. But he was at least realistic about things and internally reminded Xiao, ‘You know very well what I was thinking taking up with that woman – she was rich as Croesus, attractive and coldly imperious enough that we thought she might make an admirable Queen consort. How the hell was I supposed to know that she was a clinging vine to whomever she thought she ‘loved’? We were just lucky that for the most part we were able to make away with the majority of her personal fortune to add to ours – and that she still thinks the sun sets and rises in our, well you know.’

Xiao grumbled unintelligibly for a bit but then finally allowed, ((Fine, you are right. And we *were* intending to set up here sooner rather than later anyway. I guess everything has worked out for the best in the long run))

‘Yes,’ Lex Luthor, the newest incarnation of Aleksandr thought, ‘indeed it has.’

And now on with the story:
x-X-x

White Orchid Ball
Lexcorp Ballroom, Metropolis
Saturday Night, Fall 1993

Lex stepped out onto the top step of the grand staircase in his company’s ballroom. As he does a flash of lightning illuminates him as if it were scripted. Lex looks ageless, suave, brilliant, and dashingly handsome. Anyone seeing him at that moment know that he is a force to be reckoned with. His lips curve into a Mona Lisa smile as he surveys all that is under him, then the smile slips.

((Why are we hosting this ridiculous thing again? It is just taking up valuable time and it is making us too accessible. We get much more mileage out of being mysterious and reclusive…)) Xiao would have gone on, but Lex cut him off.

‘Even the mysterious and reclusive have to make the odd public appearance if they don’t want to fade into obscurity and seclusion. Besides, this is rather like when you used to get worshipped like a god in the good old days in it’s way isn’t it? Can’t you treat it like that and get into it?’

Xiao grumbled but allowed, ((Well I suppose you have a point, or before you get too many feathers ruffled, more than one. And yes, it does feel rather good to have the old worship pulse thrumming through the room))

Satisfied he had made his point, Lex turned back and began to greet and measure up his guests. Then he heard a voice, it sang to him while it was merely speaking. Slicing through all the other sound in the room it said,

“Lex Luthor… Why haven’t you returned my calls?”

Lex turned to see who had a voice like that of an Angel at their disposal. The crowd between him and the woman melt away leaving him a clear view of the stunning brunette in a strapless gown who had so boldly gotten his attention. He moved slowly in her direction as Xiao activated their personal version of a ribbon/healing device to scan her. The heavily altered gems had been set into a large signet styled ring and so were easy enough to use unobtrusively when Lex took her hand and held it as she introduced herself,

“Lois Lane, Daily Planet.”

Lex smiled at her and bent his head, still holding her hand, and said, “I can assure you, I’ll never make that mistake again.”

Xiao meanwhile was babbling up a storm in his head, ((She is perfect! A match – a total and complete match to be compatible with both of us. She is our queen! We must have her at our side bearing our heirs…)) Lex cut his ‘head’guest off, ‘Okay I get it already, and I didn’t plan on letting her get away.’ His mind voice became soft and reverent, ‘She is already a goddess among women.’

Xiao’s only answer to that was a mental snort, but since he could agree in his own fashion he said nothing.

x-X-x

The rest of the evening was going quite fabulously. Lex was having a great deal of fun bantering back and forth with Lois while they danced. He loved the way she was ruthlessly using her feminine charms as a tool to her own ends. Truly she was a woman after his own heart if there ever was one – that she was a genetic match made it all the sweeter.

He’d just finished making plans for a dinner date with her when something ‘pinged’ on their combined senses. Something they had never experienced on Earth. Actually it was something that Xiao had never experienced while blended with this host, although he was quick to share the memories. Another alien’s presence, Xiao wasn’t sure which kind but it had been a long time and he had been gravely injured. Certain things were certainly going to have suffered from such traumatic circumstances and the sheer passage of time.

“Mind if I cut in?” A male voice comes from the side. Lois looks pissed, they stop dancing and Lois grudgingly introduces him to the interloper.

“Lex, this is Clark Kent. He works at the Planet.”

Lex smiled graciously to Clark and said, “A pleasure,” then he turned back to Lois and said, “Later, then?” He dipped his head to her and walked away, Xiao crowing in his head in the background from when she beamed back at him and nodded her acceptance.

((We have a Queen!))

x-X-x

Lex Luthor’s Penthouse Study
During the White Orchid Ball

Lex held the sword to the intruder’s heart, and is intrigued when instead of fear the young man examines the sward being held on him.

“Macedonian?” He asked.

Lex nodded, impressed. “It belonged to Alexander the Great – a brilliant tactician.” He lowered the sword and handed it over to who he could see now was the young man Clark he had been introduced to by Lois. And if his and Xiao’s senses weren’t playing up on them, the other ‘alien’ presence. Clark scrutinized it even closer as Lex continued, “Alexander’s strategy was simple; always control the high ground. It was with this sword that he-”

“-defeated Darius the Third, and was proclaimed King of Asia.” Clark finished for him.

((This one is not slow)) Xiao commented as Lex looked at Clark consideringly. He only said though, “You surprise me, Mr. Kent. I'm not often surprised.”

Lois came into the room and saw them talking. She looked guilty and tried to cover her snooping with a compliment, “I hope you don't mind our looking around... you have a beautiful home, Lex.”

Lex of course did mind, but only smiled. The smile got a bit shaky when Xiao said with amusement, (( I don’t think she was looking too much at the surface items to really say that with any conviction, do you? I do, on the other hand, think we *are* going to have our hands full with this one as our queen, aren’t we?))

Lex doesn’t bother answering, instead he said to Lois and Clark, “Have you seen the view from here?” All three move toward the terrace and gaze on the lights of Metropolis shining below. Lex kept his gaze outward as he said with a that tiny Mona Lisa smile on his face again, “Tallest building in Metropolis. I must confess a certain in knowing that everyone in the city has to look *up* in order to see me.”

The three of them stood for a moment just looking out, Lex hoping he hadn’t said too much and tipped his hand. But then he finally stepped back and they followed him.

He said, “Let's get back to the party. I think my announcement will interest you.”

Clark held back and waved an arm in front of himself, “After you.”

They follow him out and Lex gestured them off to side as he made his speech. Looking at the model he reflected that none of this scheme would have been possible without all the things Xiao shared so freely with him. They really were in so many ways one mind. Then again it also wouldn’t have been near as smooth without the help of dear Antoinette. That the eminent Dr. Baines proved to be remarkably easy to corrupt could only be called a bonus.

Xiao piped up, ((What is yours is mine, it’s only in my best interests to make sure we have the best of everything. And bedding a woman like Dr. Baines was never a hardship – it was the talking part that got to him every time))

Lex laughed inside as he concurred.

x-X-x

Lex Luthor’s Penthouse
Study, Daytime

Lex seethed as Antoinette walked out after their assignation in his bedroom. The woman had the audacity to threaten his Lois. She was going to have to be eliminated.

Xiao agreed, ((Yes the woman’s usefulness to us will soon be up and we can get rid of her permanently))

x-X-x

Lex Luthor’s Penthouse
Balcony, Evening

Lex and Xiao both looked on with amusement as Lois ignored the food in front of her in order to conduct her ‘interview’ of him. He is equally determined to make this a date rather than an interview. And to that end they answer her questions coyly, having fun with the ones that dance on the subjects of power and pleasure.

He is wooing his future Queen, and from the looks of things it was going to be a long process.

Xiao grumbled, ((This would be easier with Nish’ta))

Lex countered, ‘Ah my old friend, very true, but not nearly as much fun.’

Then after enjoying some more of the sharp banter between her and them, Lex picks up her hand and derails her utterly. He offers her insights into what he sees in her and she is speechless.

((I have a feeling you should relish this moment old man)) Xiao gibed, ((I don’t think it’s something that happens often))

Lex mentally hushed the gou’ld as Lois started making her excuses to escape, ‘Quiet, I’m gloating here. She’s mine, she just doesn’t know it yet.’

x-X-x

Lex Luthor’s Penthouse
Balcony, Daytime

Luthor was confronted with Superman – now Xiao recognized the alien type, Kryptonian – at his home. Of course he knew it was Kent under the gaudy get up thanks again to Xiao, who couldn’t resist adding in his two cents, ((Who did he get to make that costume? A blind simpleton of a grandmother?))

While Kent was spouting off so pompously about how he knew who Lex was - ((Somehow I don’t think he had a clue)) - and condescendingly that he knew exactly what Lex had been up to – ((Again, there’s no hint of true knowledge there)) Lex was thinking that if Kent thought he was fooled by the overly bright threads, then the man certainly had another think coming.

Then of course the ninny started in on Luthor’s ultimate responsibility for three deaths, this round and that he made no secret he thought Luthor had more than that in his past. Some even he hinted, that Luthor might have taken care of personally.

Lex taunted him with his own morality, “So, you are to become both my judge and executioner?” Xiao crowed with laughter in the back of his head. And not even the sarcastic comeback that was actually rather accurate brought him down.

More pomposity and Lex threw down the gauntlet, “….as they say, let the games begin.”

Lex’s teeth gnashed though when Kent threw his parting comment. It even put the gou’ld out a bit, though it didn’t really diminish his amusement.

((Look up, HA! Like we’d ever need to find him anyway.))

x-X-x

Marns
~pobody's nerfect