Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I have been waiting for this story ever since I read The Road Taken for the first time, so i thought I'd take a minute to do a little jig to vent my feelings and celebrate before launching into this story. *does OOGA-SHAKA-LAKA dance* dance

Let me tell you right now that I'm saving this AND printing it out.

Right. Onwards! wildguy

(((((TERRY)))))

[Edited by admin to include part no. in header]

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
thumbsup I'm contemplating using this as my new sig.

Oh, it was as wonderful as I thought it would be. I nearly cried, and it's only the first chapter! mecry

“Is he dead, Lois?”

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful start. 41 parts, oh no, I hope you post daily or twice daily.

Framework4
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I'm looking forward to reading this one!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ah, Terry, you have created a conundrum for me here!

On one hand, I love and deeply admire your storytelling. I love your ability to tell a story, and I enormously admire your wonderful humour and your ability to write delightful dialogue. Most of all, I absolutely love your portraits of Lois. For me the Lois fan, Terry's Loises are among the very, very best that exist anywhere.

On the other hand, I often like your Clark considerably less (not that that is an altogether unusual occurrence when I read LnC fanfics). Moreover, a few of the things you said in your welcome worried me a little:

If you think the sky will fall and the earth will shift under your feet (not in a good way) should Clark and Lois even think about looking at another person with any hint of romance in anyone's mind, don't read this story.
This made me pause. Maybe it's not a good idea at all for me to read this story?

Ah, but... then I read the first part of Further Down the Road. It was amazing! The portrait of Lois in it was amazing. Fantastic. Lois is coming apart at the seams with guilt partly because she has killed several men, but mostly because she thinks it is her fault that Lana died, and because she thinks that Clark will hate her and blame her for this for as long as they both shall live.

The whole thing was absolutely gripping. Wow. Oh wow. I have to amend what I said before, Terry: no one writes Lois like you.

So I don't think that I can stay totally away from this, though I'm still not convinced that it will be a good idea for me to read it. So I will probably read it perhaps against my better judgement, and I will try - honestly, I will - to post no FDK at all if Clark's (or, but less likely, Lois's) behaviour drives me up the wall.

Ann

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Just showing off my brand-new sig. laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start! grumble I don't think they let her. That why they have public relation department.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh, I really liked this beginning. Lois' relationship with Claude intrigues me in just how it seems so beserk. Just thinking about canon, I'm wondering if they'll get together somehow (I'm thinking they will, but am open to any and all surprises smile ). And if so, how they get from point a to point b. It'll be interesting for how Lois develops through that. Forty one parts promises one heck of a ride. *rubs hands gleefully*.

In any case, I felt this part provided a good set up and the visit to the Dr. was particularly effective. Although, speaking of that part, I could have used more description with the dialogue. It felt a little disembodied (which might have been your intent all along, since the narrative style marks a shift from the more conventional first and third breaks). It remindd me of someone telling me that in the professional world (of fiction writing) dialogue itself is supposed to convey tone, gesture, etc.

But be what may, I felt that the dialogue itself was very effective. I'm wondering if its a one-time thing to bring us up to speed with Lois after the events of the first fic or if it will be a recurring device to hammer out some of the trickier parts of her psychology. Interesting in any case.

Anyway I'm reading and looking forward to the next part!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow. Great feedback already! Thanks, FOLCs.

Hasini, thanks for the "OOGA-SHAKA-LAKA" dance. Wish I could see it live and in person. Hope you like the rest as much as you seem to like this part.

Patrick, if I posted it that quickly, I'd get dizzy! Don't worry, I'm aiming for twice a week, but I don't know for certain which days yet.

Angie, thanks! I hope you like it too.

Ann, what can I say? Thank you for giving this one a shot. I hope you can stay with it. And partly because you've commented in the past that I tend to write Clark as a "closed book," which upon reflection is a true statement, I've made a major effort to show more of Clark's mind as we move through this story. I hope it does the trick.

Oh, Hasini, thanks for the sig show-off! I'm very honored.

Maria, you're right, Lois is near the breaking point. I will spill a few beans and let you know that she doesn't have a mental breakdown any time soon. But I can't make any hard promises. We authors must maintain some mystery, after all.

Alcyone, thanks! I did make Lois's conversation with Dr. Friskin dialogue only for the impact value. It would be impossible to write an entire novel with only dialogue (and if someone did, I seriously doubt any publisher would commit it to paper), but that tool can work in small doses. I tried to use it in all the Friskin scenes, but I couldn't. There is, however, not much description in any of Lois's scenes with her. You'll have to tell me if it works for you.

Next chapter will be up by Monday evening US time, if not before. Thanks again!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard