wave Hello, everyone!

I'm so sorry for the delay, and the bad news is that the next part will likely be delayed too, for I haven't even started it yet! peep

I'm going to kick my Muse into gear again soon, I promise!

I changed something in the last part at the end (you can read below) regarding a direct blood transfusion. Just added a few more sentences, is all. Thank you, Sheila, for pointing out my mistake. blush

And thank you a million times over for all the help you've given me on this story.

From Part 14:

“You have my word, Mr. Kent. Clark’s secret is safe with me. I owe him more than I could ever repay.” The doctor looked like he wanted to say more, but instead, his eyes fell on Superman. “There isn’t much time. I’ll go get the needed equipment and we can start.”

“There’s just one problem,” Superman said, halting the doctor’s movement toward the door. “We won’t be able to do a direct transfusion. Clark and I can’t be anywhere near each other while I’m donating blood.”

“Why is that?” Dr. Dunn asked.

“We’re going to need kryptonite. My skin is invulnerable; you won’t be able to draw blood without it. I’m sure you can see how this poses a problem for a direct transfusion.”

Lois’s face went pale at his words. This man was more like her Clark than she’d ever imagined. He was going to expose himself to the one thing in the world that could hurt him in order to save Clark.

She realized that it was the only way, though. “I can get it. Lex has a chunk of it in his safe,” Lois told him. “But I’m not going to let you go through this alone. I want to be present, so you can…you know, squeeze my hand, or whatever else you might need. You’re doing this to save Clark, it’s the least I can do.”

“Thank you, Lois. I can take you there now to get it.”

Lois nodded, and he scooped her up. She settled into his arms, and he carried her over to the window of Clark’s room with ease and familiarity. As they took off through the window together, it dawned on Lois that he must fly with his Lois often.

Part 15:

“Is everything ready? As soon as I bust through this box the kryptonite will make me vulnerable immediately.” Lois wearily eyed Superman as he grasped the small lead-lined box in his hands. He was sprawled out on the bed, the famous blue spandex and red cape absent as a hospital gown was worn in place of the famous suit.

“Everything’s ready,” Dr. Dunn replied. “The sooner we start this, the better chance Clark will have for survival.”

Lois held her breath as Superman lifted the box in his hands. She watched, her ears ringing at the deafening silence that filled the room, as he effortlessly ripped the box open. Her eyes followed the glowing green rock as it fell to his chest. Superman squeezed his eyes shut, his face contorting in pain as he let out a groan.

Lois quickly grabbed the rock. “Where should I put this?” she asked, wincing at the obvious pain the green meteor rock was causing him.

“Anywhere…is fine,” Superman said, grimacing. “As long as it stays in the room.”

Lois set the glowing rock on the bedside table, hating the fact that it was causing him so much pain. The memory of Clark lying on the cold cement floor of the wine cellar, the green glow of the bars torturing him, filtered through her mind. She squeezed her eyes shut, willing away the images.

Clark was going to be okay, and they’d get through the horrific memories together.

“Are…are you okay, Lois?” Superman stammered, his voice laden with pain.

God, how she despised that rock! “I’m fine. You’re a lot like my Clark, always concerned for others before yourself.”

“That’s what my Lois tells me all the time,” Superman replied just as the doctor inserted the needle into his arm. He flinched slightly at the poke. “It hurts a lot less than exposure to kryptonite, that’s for sure.”

“We’ll get through this as quickly as possible. It shouldn’t take more than ten to fifteen minutes to collect a unit,” Dr. Dunn assured him. “I need to check on Clark, but I’ll be back shortly to check on you. Don’t hesitate to use the call button if you need to. I’ve given strict orders that no one else is to enter, so the nurses will page me if you use the call button.”

“Thank you, Doctor,” Lois said, watching as the doctor shut the door upon leaving the room. She stepped forward and took Superman’s hand in her own. “I’m so grateful for what you’re doing for Clark.”

“Hey, if he’s anything like me, I know that he’d do the same. Not only is your and Clark’s future together on the line, but so is the future…of your world,” Superman paused, out of breath. Sweat was starting to drip down his face. “You know I can’t just stand by and do nothing when I have the power to help.”

Lois smiled as she squeezed his hand. “Spoken like a true Superman.”

Superman smiled slightly, and the grin faltered a mere second later as he struggled to take in a deep breath. “Keep talking, please. Hearing your voice helps to distract me—helps to pass the time.”

“Well, if your Lois is anything like me, then you should know that talking is not a problem for me. I should have been a Gemini.”

Superman smiled but didn’t say anything. Lois could tell that he was doing his best not to show the pain he was in. “So…what’s your world like? Is it like this one?” she asked as she made herself comfortable in the chair beside his bed.

“Well…I haven’t really been here that long to compare, but my world is truly a complicated place.” He stopped talking long enough to catch his breath before forging ahead. “I’ll never understand how such good and decent people can share the same planet with such evil. I’ve seen a lot—seen things that I’ve tried to forget. Lois tells me that whatever I can do, it’s enough.”

“I think I said something very similar to Clark once, only I didn’t know then that I was speaking directly to Superman. When did your Lois find out that you were Superman?”

“I finally told her. We were growing closer and my conscience wouldn’t let me remain silent any longer.”

“Was she mad?”

“Do you really have to ask?”

Lois smiled, a little sheepishly. “No, I guess not. I know that I was furious when I found out.”

“So he didn’t tell you?”

“Nope. I had just shown up for work—it was my first day at LNN—when I found out right along with the rest of the world.”

“Ouch. And I bet you hadn’t even had your morning coffee yet.”

“No, I hadn’t. Not very fortunate for Clark, was it?” Lois’s eyes were drawn to the blood as it traveled out of his arm and into the collection container. She would do anything to have that morning back, give anything to have Clark standing in front of her, full of life. If she had that morning to do over again, she wouldn’t get so angry, wouldn’t waste so much time by leaving her feelings for him left unspoken.

“But you know something?” Superman asked, breaking the silence that had lapsed between them. “Thinking back to my past with Lois—she almost married Lex at one point too—I don’t think that either of us were ready back then for my dual identity to be out in the open.”

“Well, Clark and I don’t have that choice. I know now, and there’s no changing that. But I really wouldn’t have it any other way. Knowing him—all of him—has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. Clark is the best thing that ever happened to me.”

The door opened at that moment, and Dr. Dunn stepped inside. After checking Superman’s vitals he said, “I think we’re done for now. I’ll get this first unit to Clark immediately. After the kryptonite is put away, take a few minutes to rest before you start moving around.”

“I’ll probably just hang out in here. I think it’s best if I’m not seen coming and going.”

The doctor nodded before making a quick exit, the container of freshly donated blood in his hands.

Lois immediately put the rock back into the lead-lined box. Her eyes settled on Superman a moment later. It was amazing; he was already recovering from the exposure.

“Go to him, Lois. He needs you.”

“How’s he doing?”

The voice startled Lois awake, and her blurry eyes fell on Inspector Henderson as he stood in the doorway of Clark’s room. “I must have dozed off. We don’t know anything yet. Please, come in and have a seat.” Lois’s eyes left Henderson to rest on the clock that hung on the wall above the doorway. She was surprised to realize that she hadn’t been dozing for more than fifteen minutes. She felt like she’d been asleep for at least an hour.

Inspector Henderson entered the room and shut the door before taking the seat on the other side of Clark’s bed. “So, where is everyone? I was expecting to find the Kents here.”

“They left with Perry and Jimmy a little while ago to get something to eat. I think they needed the distraction. It’s not easy seeing Clark like this.” Lois’s eyes fell on Clark again, and her heart sank in disappointment. Realistically, she knew that it was too soon to hope for any signs of improvement in his condition, but she stubbornly hoped anyway. Thankfully, Superman would be donating another unit soon.

“Lois, besides wanting to check on Clark, I also came by tonight because I’m not sure what you and the Kents would like me to do with that cage in the wine cellar. I also uncovered several video and audio surveillance tapes from Luthor’s penthouse—tapes I’m sure that you and the Kents wouldn’t want anyone to see.”

Lois’s eyes widened as it dawned on her exactly what the Inspector was talking about. How could she have so easily forgotten that Lex had been keeping tabs on Clark? It would be just like him to record conversations—very private conversations. “What…what kind of tapes?”

“The kind confirming that Clark is Superman.”

Oh, no…this wasn’t good. She had to do everything in her power to keep the number of people who knew about Clark to a minimum. “Look, I’m not sure what you saw or heard on those tapes, but Lex faked that video about Clark being Superman. He must have faked these tapes too. He was insane! You were there, you saw how mentally disturbed he was!”

“Lois, after Clark disappeared, the Kents confirmed that he was Superman. They also told me about the existence of kryptonite…they told me everything. That’s why I’m here. I know that these tapes are not something that you’d want the public to know about. Give me a break; I’m trying to help you out here.” Henderson grinned, a bit wryly in Lois’s opinion. “Just don’t expect me to make a habit out of accommodating pesky reporters, okay?”

Lois couldn’t stop herself from grinning back. “I never thought I’d see the day that Inspector Henderson went soft.”

“Hey! Do you want these tapes or not?”

Lois wiped the grin from her face, not wanting to push her luck. Henderson was known for his legendary gruffness, she wasn’t about to test this new softer side of the Inspector. “Yes, I want those tapes…and Henderson?” Lois paused for a moment, a genuine smile playing on her lips. “Thanks for protecting Clark.”

“Superman protects everyone else—I figured that someone needed to protect him for a change.” Henderson’s eyes fell on Clark, and Lois could see that he was truly worried about Metropolis’s resident hero. “What I don’t understand, Lois,” he said a moment later, his expression one of confusion as his eyes shifted back to her, “is how it’s possible that I saw you and Superman fly into Lex Towers tonight, when Clark—who we all know *is* Superman—is still lying here in this hospital bed. Care to explain that one?”

Oh boy! Lois opened her mouth, but no words came out. What was she supposed to tell him? Superman had been careful not to be spotted, she was sure of it. Though, apparently, Henderson had seen them anyway.

“I never thought I’d see the day that Lois Lane was speechless,” Henderson teased, echoing her earlier words.

Lois sighed before plunging ahead. “This Superman that you saw tonight—he’s not exactly from around here. Clark needed a blood transfusion, and since no one else on earth is able to donate for him, Superman came to donate the needed blood.

“But Clark *is* Superman. You’re talking like they’re two separate people.”

“Well…they *are* two separate people at the moment, or rather, two separate Kryptonians.”

“Lane, now you’re talking like Luthor rubbed off on you. You didn’t hit your head or anything, did you?”

Lois rolled her eyes at the Inspector’s words. She was not crazy; she just lived in a crazy world. A world where gorgeous alien beings walked the earth and were able to fly and lift space shuttles into orbit—a world where time travel and alternate universes were not only a possibility, but were a fact. No, she hadn’t lost her mind in the least.

“He’s from an alternate universe, okay?” Lois sighed upon noticing the Inspector’s incredulous expression. “I knew you wouldn’t believe it. But I assure you, it’s true. Trust me, I’m not in the habit of ignoring my skepticism, but the Superman who barged into Clark’s room tonight can fly and do all the other things that Clark can do,” Lois paused, her eyes suddenly collecting moisture as all the despair she’d felt when she thought she was going to lose Clark came rushing back. “Besides, if he’s not Superman—not who he says he is—then Clark doesn’t have a chance to live.” Lois stared at Henderson with tears in her eyes. “He’s Clark’s only chance.”

“I guess it’s not too far out there, all things considered. After all, this is Metropolis, home to Superman.” Henderson suddenly leaned back in his chair before crossing his arms. “Do I even want to know what you and this other Superman were hoping to accomplish by crashing my crime scene tonight?”

“Lex had something in his possession—something that we needed in order to help Clark.”

“And what exactly would that be?”

“Kryptonite.”

“Kryptonite?” Henderson asked, his tone disbelieving. “You mean to tell me that Superman went in search of kryptonite? Why would he go after the one thing that can hurt him?”

“He couldn’t donate blood without it. Invulnerable skin, remember?”

“Oh, I see. Well…that is some story, Lane. But I’m glad to hear that Clark is expected to recover,” Henderson said as he rose from his chair. “I should get going. It’s already past two in the morning and I still have a stack of paperwork waiting for me on my desk. By the way—I’m going to need your statement, Clark’s too when he’s in better shape.”

“Sure thing, Henderson.”

“And before I go, I thought I should warn you that the media finally caught wind of Clark’s attempted murder. Apparently some of the media’s finest are night owls—an impressive number of reporters were gathered outside the hospital when I entered. It’s a madhouse out there. If anyone else saw Superman flying tonight, I might not be the only one with questions.”

“We’ll deal with the press later. Superman’s short visit here is actually going to work in Clark’s favor. But right now, my only concern is Clark.”

Henderson’s eyes softened at her words. “He’ll pull through, Lois.”

“Thanks, Henderson. And if you could find some place safe to store that cage for the time being, I’d appreciate it. I need to talk to Jonathan and Martha about it. We’re going to have to find a way to destroy it.”

“No problem. I’ll catch you later, Lane.”

Lois’s eyes followed Henderson as he exited the room. Glancing at the clock again, she realized that it was time for Superman to give more blood. She wasn’t about to leave Clark by himself, though. Hopefully, Perry, Jimmy, and the Kents would return soon.

Two hours had passed and Clark was starting to show signs of improvement after two more blood transfusions. His color was better, his blood pressure had started to creep back up, and his heart rate had gone down a little. Lois wanted to cry with joy. Hopefully he’d wake up soon, and she’d have the chance to tell him again how much she loved him.

“Honey, why don’t you go home for a little while? You must be tired of wearing that wedding gown. I imagine you must be hungry by now too,” Martha urged.

Lois shook her head. “I want to be here when he wakes up.”

“I know you do, but the doctor doesn’t expect him to wake up for at least another couple of hours,” Martha paused, and her eyes fell to the front of Lois’s bloodied wedding gown. “Lois, I’m sure the last thing you want is for Clark to wake up and see you covered in blood. Please, Honey, if you won’t do it for yourself, then do it for Clark.”

Lois glanced down at herself and sighed. Martha was right. She looked terrible. She definitely didn’t want Clark to see her like this. The last thing she wanted to do was upset him.

“Okay, but I won’t be gone long.”

“Do you want a ride?” Perry asked just as she started for the door.

“No, I think I could use a little time to myself. Just…be here for Clark. He needs all of you more than I do right now.”

Lois silently left Clark’s room and as she headed for the hospital’s exit, she tried to prepare herself for the media frenzy Henderson had warned her about. She was exhausted and hungry, although the thought of actually eating anything made her nauseous. The last thing she felt like dealing with at the moment was the press.

As Lois left through the double doors of the hospital’s lobby, a dozen or more light bulbs flashed in her face, momentarily blinding her. Lois’s eyes squinted as spots danced in her vision, and as she looked around, desperately trying to find a way through the massive crowd of reporters, the questions started coming at her from all directions.

“Ms. Lane! Sources tell us that Superman’s been shot. How is that possible?”

“Is he expected to recover?”

“How do you feel about Lex Luthor’s suicide?”

Lois closed her eyes as another couple of camera bulbs flashed in her face.

This was just wonderful, she thought dryly. She was going to be a sight for sore eyes on the front page of the Metropolis Star. She was covered in blood, her eyes were no doubt red from crying, and she hadn’t slept all night.

“No comment!” Lois yelled as she started to elbow her way through the crowd. At least there was no mention of any Superman sightings. Either Henderson had been the only one to see them, or the media just hadn’t gotten wind of it yet.

A hospital security guard suddenly materialized beside her, and Lois was grateful for his assistance as he helped to hold the reporters back. “Ms. Lane, we called a cab for you. It should be here any minute,” he yelled over the noise of the crowd.

“Thank you,” Lois told the guard, although she doubted that he heard her. She finally broke free of the crowd and escaped into the waiting taxi. Thank god for the hospital’s hospitality.

“Thank you for getting here so quick,” she told the cabbie as she closed and locked the door, effectively shutting out the advancing reporters.

“No problem. I was in the area when the call came in. Where to, Ms. Lane?”

She quickly gave the driver her address and wanted to groan as it dawned on her that a crowd of reporters were probably staking out her apartment as well. Maybe she’d get lucky and they’d all be at the hospital.

The drive to her apartment went by quickly, and Lois sighed in relief as the sidewalk outside her building appeared empty. Metropolis General was acting as a magnet, attracting all the members of the press. Lois was grateful for the respite from all of the commotion.

She quickly paid the cab driver before heading up to her apartment. She would change quickly and grab a bite to eat before heading back to the hospital. Hopefully, wearing something other than her bloodied wedding gown and having some food in her stomach would put her in a better frame of mind. Realistically, she knew the only thing that would put her in a better frame of mind would be for Clark to wake up.

Lois cursed as her shaking hands fumbled with the locks on her door. Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm her racing heart. Her nerves must really be shot if she couldn’t even open her own door.

Lois cursed once more before the last lock finally clicked open. She sighed in relief as she entered her dark apartment. Not bothering to take the time to shut the door or turn on a light, she quickly made her way into her bedroom. Lois reached for the buttons on the back of her gown and cursed again. It would take way too long for her to get them all undone. She yanked at the small buttons in frustration, not caring when several popped off.

Lois sighed in relief as the gown finally fell to the floor in a puddle around her feet. It was a liberating feeling that washed over her. Stepping out of the gown, Lois realized that she had felt trapped in it, confined in the expensive material and lace. It was a relief to finally be free of the last reminder of Lex. He couldn’t hurt her anymore—couldn’t hurt anyone that she loved ever again. A smile played on her lips as she thought of burning the gown. Maybe she would, as soon as this was all over, as soon as Clark was well again. Grabbing a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, Lois dressed quickly before stepping back into the shadows of her darkened living room, anxious to get back to Clark.

She came to a sudden halt as the sight of her front door caught her attention. It was closed, and she was one hundred percent sure that she’d left it open. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end as she suddenly felt threatened. Just as she was inching her way into the kitchen in hopes of grabbing a knife, a tall dark figure lunged at her from behind her curtains and grabbed her.

A breeze ruffled her curtains, and Lois realized that her window was open. Moonlight shined in, and the metal of the knife glinted in her intruder’s hand. Lois froze as he pressed the knife to her throat.

“Don’t even think about trying anything, Lane. Your super dud of a boyfriend can’t save you this time,” his voice was low and threatening, and Lois shivered in fear as his breath assaulted her face. He put more pressure on the knife and it started to cut into her skin. “I’m going to make you pay for all of the times you stuck your nose in my business.”

The intruder suddenly grabbed a chunk of her hair, and Lois cried out as he jerked her head back painfully. “Is that boyfriend of yours dead yet?” he whispered into her ear, his tone sinister. “Rumor has it that he isn’t expected to live. Too bad I wasn’t the one to kill him. Luthor did us all a favor.”

Her intruder suddenly shoved her into the wall, and Lois cried out again as pain washed over her. Stars swam in her vision as she fell to the floor. “Who-who are you? What do you want?”

The man stepped closer, coming into full view, and Lois could see that he was wearing a black ski mask. “You once put my name on the front page of all the major newspapers. I spent years in jail!” He roared as he stomped over to where she was laying on the floor. Lois bit her lip, trying not to cry out again as he yanked her up by her hair. “Get up! I’ve waited a long time for this day—the day when your name is splattered all over the front page of all the major newspapers. You’re going to make headlines, lady. Everyone knows how you like to shine.”

Lois started to struggle for freedom but stilled when her movements caused the knife to cut even further into her skin. He had an iron grip on her, and terror rose up in her throat as he dragged her toward her open window. “Well, you’re the writer, so what do you think of this headline?” he paused, and Lois’s heart raced in terror as his mouth neared her ear. “Nosy Reporter Plunges To Death…sounds like a good headline to me.”

And for the second time that night Lois felt the world tilt as she was shoved out of her fifth story window. The wind claimed her, and she let out a blood hurdling scream as she started to fall into the empty darkness. Lois screwed her eyes shut as the ground rushed up to meet her.

smile TBC...

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.