Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Woooo-Hooooo!! Ch 7's up and I get to start the thread!! smile1 dance

Ok, I'm going to read now--I'll be back later.

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Very nice!! thumbsup

“That’s not the only reason you’re alive, Clark. It’s not all you are good for.”

“Really?” he answered, just the slightest trace of bitterness in his voice. “What else can I do? Besides help my folks around the farm, I mean. And even that I only do at night and small things. No one can see work happening at the farm at super-speed.”
<snif> I can't imagine Clark surviving this--Well, I guess that's all he has been doing--survivng...not living.

He was lonely. This should not have been a revelation to her. Of course, he was lonely. But somehow she had been so caught up in how awful this whole ordeal was for her, she had not thought too much about Clark. Martha was right – she had sort of thought the whole “Clark is dead” thing was a fallacy. Without too much thought, she had sort of imagined Clark living the same life as before, just on the farm.

But of course, that’s not the life he led. He had no companionship, save his parents. No one he could talk to. This was almost laughable given how starved the press was to hear sound bites from him. But, she reminded herself, they wanted sound bites from Superman, not Clark. And for the first time since she realized that they were the same man, she realized that they were not really one and the same. And suddenly, while Lois knew she could not forgive Clark for what he did to her, she wanted to put aside her anger for a few minutes so she could understand how they had gotten to this point.
Oh, you're giving me hope here. I know she's not done being angry, but is this a light at the end of the tunnel?

Lois looked around her room some more before taking a deep breath and continuing, “I felt so guilty for forcing you into that club,”

“It’s not…” Clark tried to cut in, but Lois shook her head impatiently.

“I know it’s not my fault, but it’s how I felt. Like… like I had killed you,” Lois’ voice was soft and she looked down at their clasped hands for a moment before she stood up, yanking her hand from his, “But of course, I hadn’t. You weren’t even dead.”

Clark said nothing, but she could see the shame in the slump of his shoulders, and see the apology in his eyes before he spoke, “Lois, I’m so…”

“I know,” Lois cut him off. “I know you’re sorry, but it’s not enough. You can’t know what it felt like to live with the knowledge that I had killed you. Ten years. Ten years, Clark! How could you let me think that for ten years!” Lois burst into angry tears realizing again that she would never be able to forgive him.
And you snatch that hope right away--the light at the end really WAS a train.

Come on. . .I love angst, but just a little movement here would be nice. Please grovel

More soon please.
Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I don't think this was a bad place to leave this chapter. Lois's reaction was a logical one, and because it was a bit of a reversal, it works very well.

I'm waiting for the next post. I'm sure there's more angst to come.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, thought that this was a good place to leave this chapter. I'm very glad that Lois hasn't forgiven Clark yet.

You did a good job of showing us the loneliness of Clark's "Clark-less" existence as "Superman only" in this chapter. I'm glad that Lois realizes how lost and forlorn Clark has been without his civilian identity.

I'm even happier that Clark finally asked Lois what things had been like for her after Clark's "death"/death. Finally he can begin to see what he did to her.

But do you know what I would love to see in this story? I know, I know - I'm asking for an answer and a clarification that is going to be very, very hard for you to deliver. It might very well be impossible, particularly since I kind of suspect that most LnC fans (and that may well include you) haven't given the matter much thought.

This is what I want to know. Why have Superman/Clark's lies to Lois about himself been at the heart and core of the Superman mythos for as long as this mythos has existed, for almost seventy years? Why has it been so traumatic for him to reveal his secret identity to her?

If Clark had gone to Lois right after he was "killed" and told her about his secret identity, Lois's ten-year agony wouldn't have happened, or at least her life would have been very different. In your story, the reasons for why Clark didn't tell Lois were that Lana talked him out of it and Lois scared Superman off by calling him an alien.

But to me, the whole point here is that there have been a gazillion other stories where Clark hasn't told Lois, and we have been offered other reasons for his lies. In the comics back in the sixties, Lois strongly suspected that Clark was Superman, and she was forever trying to prove that she was right about this. Again and again she almost caught him red-handed - or bespectacled and "red-S-shield-ed" - but again and again he managed to escape from her traps. Why did he fight so desperately to make sure she couldn't prove that Clark was Superman? Because he couldn't let her win? Or because she would use her knowledge to blackmail him into marrying her?

In the seventies, Superman was openly dating Lois in his spandex-clad superhero persona. Yet he told her that it would be too dangerous for her to officially marry him, so they couldn't get married. Come on - how could it be so much more dangerous for Lois to officially marry Superman than to have him officially date her and passionately kiss her in front of hordes of onlookers? And if he truly wanted to marry her but couldn't do so in his Superman persona, why couldn't he tell her that he was also Clark Kent? Ummmm... because then he would be expected to really marry her?

In the movie Superman II, Clark accidentally revealed his superpowers to Lois. And lo and behold, before that day had drawn to a close Clark had shed his superpowers so that he could make love to Lois, and they had ended up in bed. Yes, that's what the old comic books had always hinted at: if Superman let Lois in on his secret he would lose his powers and mystique and end up as her love slave(?).

Of course, Clark found a way to get his powers back, but that only took care of half of his problems. Lois still knew his identity! So Clark gave her an amnesia-inducing kiss and "raped her memory", leaving her clueless about who he really was!

In the movie Superman Returns, it turns out that Lois became pregnant as a result of her and Clark's lovemaking in Superman II. In Superman Returns, Lois's memory has been partly restored, so that she knows that Superman is the father of her child. But she still doesn't remember that Superman is Clark Kent, and Superman doesn't tell her! Why? Well, if she knew that Clark was the father of her son she might demand that he help pay for Jason's upkeep and education, and she might ask that he spend time with Jason, too! And she might ask him why he didn't tell her about his secret identity before he made love to her, or, if he did it, why she can't remember it.

There have been so many reasons, so many explanations for why Superman/Clark has had to lie to Lois about himself. He just wanted to protect her. He didn't want to make her angry. He was afraid of losing her. He had to make her love him as the man he really is. He couldn't trust her. His father had warned him against telling anyone. He had been lying to her for so long that it had become a habit. And maybe Lana had warned him. And maybe Lois had called him an alien.

But, bottom line, if Clark keeps lying to Lois, only two things can happen. One, Lois and Clark can be kept apart forever. Or, two, Lois and Clark can be together, but under false pretenses, so that Lois believes that she is with "Clark only" or with "Superman only". One thing remains the same: Clark/Superman isn't truly sharing himself with her.

Why is this so, Anonpip? Why is Clark so unbelievably scared of sharing himself with Lois? Why is he choosing his secret identity over her?

This is the question I would so dearly love to have you answer in this story. I would so, so love to see Clark really try to explain - and to understand himself - why he was protecting his secret identity for ten years rather than letting Lois know that Clark Kent was alive because he was Superman. And I know one thing. I will never believe that the real reason for his lies was that Lana had given him some bad advice or that Lois had called Superman an alien.

But I hope you understand that your story creates such a strong reaction in me precisely because it reminds me so painfully of all the other times when Superman/Clark Kent has defended his secret from Lois Lane at almost any cost!

Ann

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I am so sorry! I am working on posting the next part of my story and realized I'd never responded to your comments here. My only excuse is that I had a small injury that made typing difficult for a few days and then got buried under at work. Honestly, I still am and should be working now, but I needed a break. I think I just didn't realize I hadn't responded.

I know these are poor excuses, so I just want to let you know how much your feedback means to me. I really appreciate it and I know how much time it takes for you to leave it. Despite appearances, it's very encouraging.

Vonceil:

And you snatch that hope right away--the light at the end really WAS a train.

Come on. . .I love angst, but just a little movement here would be nice.
Actually, this was supposed to inspire hope. My thought for this chapter is that they are getting closer to understanding each other, but come on! Clark lied to her for 10 years. One or two warm moments won't be enough for Lois to forgive him. They are working towards that and I hope that will be clearer in the next chapter, but it will take some time.

Terry:

I don't think this was a bad place to leave this chapter. Lois's reaction was a logical one, and because it was a bit of a reversal, it works very well.
Thanks for this &#8211; I really did feel like it was a cop-out. Hopefully the next one, which is rather short, doesn't fail where this chapter succeeded and also feels like an okay place to end a chapter.

Ann:

I'm very glad that Lois hasn't forgiven Clark yet.
Somehow, I thought you might be! wink

Why has it been so traumatic for him to reveal his secret identity to her?
This is a really interesting question and you're right, I haven't given it much thought before now. I guess I feel like I've bought into the idea that it just was. But now that you pose the question, I realize that's kind of lame. I'd love to be the one to answer this for you (and now for me), but I fear that I'm just setting myself up for failure. What could be the reason that this is so deeply ingrained in him? I do think this story, where Clark's attempts to tell others have ended really poorly might have some merit (sorry for patting myself on the back a bit here) although I agree, it's not really enough. I'll have to give it some thought. But, I don't want to promise I'll deliver on this. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going with the kryptonite bit &#8211; that just showed up in my story and I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

Given that the answer to that has yet to come to me and your question seems much deeper, I doubt I have the required creativity or talent to answer it to anyone's satisfaction.

Well, on to putting the finishing touches to the next installment&#8230;

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard