Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46007 09/05/07 09:06 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I have another request: Can we get 'Spin, the sequel: What happened next.' goofy

Your writing is better than my imagination.

No stuffed animals required. Clark bringing flowers optional.

(Looks like Sue might not be entirely smutted out after all. That kissing was very promising. Fingers crossed.) wink

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#46008 09/05/07 09:23 AM
Kerth
Kerth
lol

I sure like that idea! Sue, are you up to the challenge? wink

Anyway, great story. Loved every bit of it.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#46009 09/05/07 09:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes Please!!! Sequel Sequel Sequel!!! Maybe nfic? Or gfic. You write the characters so perfectly!!! thumbsup Thanks for another wonderful fic! clap

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#46010 09/05/07 09:40 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
That was a great scene, Sue.

"You are so old-fashioned, Kent. I bet you bring your dates flowers, too, don't you?"

"Only when I'm trying to score points."

"Only when you're trying to score," I correct for him, looking over my shoulder to see if he blushes.

He gives me a wink that makes me blush instead. "That, too," he says lightly.
This was absolutely priceless, especially since it comes back full circle with the last line. Thank you for sharing!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#46011 09/05/07 10:23 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh I love drunken Lois. This was funny and perfect. Sue you have a way with words. Wow.

I am with the others. I think a sequel would be great. thumbsup

#46012 09/05/07 11:29 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Sue! Congrats on posting the first ficathon assignment! Unless I missed one... *runs back to check the boards* No, I think you're the first. I'll have to compile a list later. Anyway, that was absolutely wonderful! I was really excited to see what you would do with the challenge. I'm sure Catherine is going to find it fantastic. I loved Lois' musings and then of course how you managed to show an early first season Lois as nonshallow. Thanks so much. laugh

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#46013 09/05/07 11:39 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I loved it. Lois saying she really thought Superman would be like Clark was priceless. A sequel would be appreciated.

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
#46014 09/05/07 11:47 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
"Five?" There's an undercurrent of laughter in his voice that even my being drunk can't hide.

"Don't judge me, Clark. I've had a lousy night." If he's lucky, I won't remember this tomorrow.
Boy can I relate to Lois here, especially last Sunday ouy.

He looks at me like I'm fascinating. Not in some odd way, but like he's trying to figure me out. It makes me feel mysterious to know that Clark is trying to read my mind. And maybe it's the fact that, while he does break out an innuendo now and then, Clark is unfailingly polite. It's like there's more going on inside him than I really want to give him credit for.

Or maybe I'm just really, really drunk.
I love this bit. When you give us a glimpse of Lois' thoughts about Clark you seem to really get to the core of 1st season Lois. Her insight into Clark here is spot on and portrays her confusion over her feelings for him and in recognising that Clark is trying to figure her out when he looks at Lois, you've got her doing exactly the same thing - trying to figure out Clark - or maybe she's just really drunk!

Lovely and very funny Sue... I'd like to add my voice to the crowd and call for an encore, I'm sure we'd all love to see the morning after.

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
#46015 09/05/07 12:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Can I just quote the whole story? Nah, I'll restrain myself.

This is it. This is was what my life has come to - I'm being chastised by Clark, ignored by Superman, brushed off by Lex, and the rest of my evening is probably going to be spent watching Cat Grant practically fall out of her dress every time she laughs.
<g> So very saddd, and kind of humorous.

As usual, I'm totally wrapped up in the Waffy Cocoon. smile
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#46016 09/05/07 01:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, you just amaze me. I loved that little drunk Lois scene. I sure want to know what happens the next day. PLEEAAASSEE! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#46017 09/05/07 01:42 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! *runs in and bodily tackles story and squishes it to smithereenies*

Oh! I hope she remembers this the next day! And siiiigh, it was all so dreamy and yummy! And EEE!! The Zebra! (There should be more stuffed zebras in stories, me says!)

This was so perfectly Lois and so perfectly Clark, and I love how you described the looks that he gave her and and and weeeeee!

*continues to squish story* Mine!

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#46018 09/05/07 02:14 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I turn away from him, blinking furiously to keep the tears at bay. I wish I wasn't so maudlin when I'm tipsy. I slump heavily against the wall as my knees start to shake. Superman doesn't love me. He never will. He 'cares' about me. Big deal. He cares about everyone. I'm nothing special to him and I was stupid to think that I was.
mecry mecry mecry mecry

<Endless row of mental images of Superman rejecting or leaving Lois marches across the back of Ann's retinas>

"Clark, haven't you ever wanted someone even though you knew it was impossible? Someone that you couldn't ever in a million years have?"

His expression turns wistful. "Yeah."
He's feeling sorry for himself because he's despairing about making Lois fall in love with I'm-not-Superman-at-all plain old Clark Kent!!!! <wails with frustration>

Ahh, but I love the way you use Lois's drunkenness to make Clark see the real, vulnerable woman beneath the Mad Dog Lane facade. In vino veritas. Clark can no longer tell himself that Lois's intense interest in Superman is just a stupid crush, and she is just a shallow groupie, who will never love the real him unless he makes her love the man that he is not, an ordinary man without superpowers.

Well, since I haven't seen the show, I can't sympathize with Clark for all the reasons he must have had to lie to Lois about himself during the first season. I know he must have had many good reasons to lie, since all the rest of you can sympathize with him! wink

But thank you, thank you, Sue, for telling us a story about the honesty of Lois's love for the magnificent protector of Metropolis:

"What would you say to him? If you could have him alone for a few minutes?" Clark leans back against my door frame and crosses his arms as he waits for me to answer.

I shrug, not wanting to admit to Clark that *talking* to Superman isn't entirely what I had in mind. "I don't know. Something stupid, probably. No, not stupid. Maybe I'd tell him how amazing I think he is. How glad I am that he's come to Metropolis. Or how I know that there's got to be a real person beneath all that spandex and I wonder if he ever gets lonely. I know I come across as lusting after him, but the truth is..." I pause and suck in a deep breath. "The truth is that I just want to be his friend. I want to know who he really is. I want to know the real Superman."
Oh, she is lusting after him all right, but there is more to her than that. She does want to be his friend. Heck, she is his friend and his staunch supporter. She just wishes that, oh god pleeeeease, he would reciprocate just a little bit. mecry

And she doesn't think that Superman is just some kind of god in a cape:

Finally, Clark softly asks, "What do you think the real Superman is like?"

"Mmm." I close my eyes and try to picture him. Gentle. Sweet. Passionate. Hopelessly in love with me and afraid to admit it. Suddenly I visualize Superman sitting at Clark's desk, watching me like Clark does. That would be so amazing! What if Superman was like Clark? Right now that thought makes perfect sense to me. I giggle and look up at Clark through my eyelashes. "You," I say, before I can think better of it. "I bet Superman is a lot like you, just without the smart aleck tendencies."
Again and again in this vignette, you make me almost cry for Lois only to giggle a few seconds later at the delicious irony of the situation or the sheer perfection of a remark that Clark or Lois made. And you made me feel that, finally, yes, Clark cares for Lois. He didn't really do that before, but even I can't find him totally blameworthy because of the cowardice and selfishness he has shown toward Lois before. No, because this guy is a little schizophrenic, and he is trying to make Lois love the man that he so desperately wants to be but is not, the perfectly normal and human Clark Kent. It is as if he thought that Lois's love for that non-existing man could actually somehow miraculously turn him into that man and miraculously make him really belong to the human race. Even I can't blame Clark Kent, who even before he became Superman was acting like a guardian angel to the human race, for wanting to belong to humanity. For wanting to really, really be one of us. And he thought that Lois's love for the human guy he was pretending to be could somehow turn him into that guy and save him. Making him belong.

But in your story, Clark finally begins to see the honesty of Lois's love for the superhuman aspect of him. He begins to see that he can't ask her to give him the love that he needs if he isn't willing to give her the love that she needs. If he isn't willing to take her love for Superman seriously. And he isn't giving her the chance to love him for the man he really is if he isn't willing to be honest with her about the man that he really is.

Clark stands up straight and runs a hand through his hair. "I wish you were sober."

I laugh. "I don't! I hope I'm never sober again. It's going to hurt so much in the morning." Just like that, my good mood vanishes and I'm left with the same gut-wrenching grief as before. "I just wish..." I swallow back a sob and choke out the last few words. "I wish he would notice me."

Clark sighs and scratches the back of his head. "I... think you should call me when you wake up tomorrow."

"Why? Do you have a surefire hangover cure?"

"No." He shakes his head and smiles at me. "I just need you sober so we can talk."

"About what?"

"Superman."

"Why not now? What if you forget what you wanted to say?"

"I won't forget."

"You don't know that!"

"Lois, in this instance, I promise, I won't forget. This is something I've wanted to tell you for a while now. I'm not going to forget. Even if you forget what happened tonight, I'm still going to tell you." He bends and kisses my cheek softly. "Get some sleep."
Oh, sob and sniffle! He is going to tell her! Ah, Sue, you just told me a story where you melted Superman's heart of stone for me. Really, really. You turned him into a man who loves Lois, a man who cares about Lois, not just a man who needs Lois for his own salvation. You turned him into a man whose love for Lois matters more to him than his own jittery fears of exposure. Thank you, thank you, Sue!

Ann

P.S. The way you told us this story from Lois's POV was beyond perfect!

#46019 09/05/07 02:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm sure I don't have to tell you again how much I enjoyed this story. Mmmm! smile

He's a solid guy, my partner. Sometimes he rolls up his sleeves at the morning bull session and it's all I can do not to stare. And that's just his forearms.
Fivearms... Fivearms! [Linked Image]

My god! I saw him in a towel once, a few months ago, and it's insane how good he looked.
Seriously... More [Linked Image]

Words circle in the air around me. Clark says something to the clerk. She says something back and I can hear the breathy little note of attraction in her tone. She's flirting with him! Flirting with my partner even as he's standing here with one arm around me and his hand firmly planted on my waist. The nerve!
The very first sentence is just brilliant. And the rest is so amusing. I love that whole paragraph!

And... and... oooh. That kiss! YUM!

Damn, I hope he brings me flowers...
I'm sure he will. wink *sighs* What I wouldn't give for a guy like that. ...does a kidney work? I don't really need *two* of those, do I? *giggles*

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#46020 09/05/07 02:35 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh my gosh. smile This was just...fantabulous! In fact it was SO fantabulous and so perfect that I don't need a sequel. I can imagine on my own just how the morning after is going to go and how that too will be beautiful *happy sigh*

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Have I said before just HOW much I love your Lois POV? Because it bears repeating...

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#46021 09/05/07 02:48 PM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
It's not the money, really, it's knowing that she's going to have him all to herself for at least two hours. Hours! Hours alone with Superman. God, what I wouldn't give just to have five minutes of his undivided attention.
Oh, the irony of that was just so painful. You did a wonderful job of making Lois a believable drunk without making her a caricature. (It took me five tries to spell that word right. Sheesh.) And she's such a sympathetic character here. Very nice.

Oooh! And then you came back around to it:

"What would you say to him? If you could have him alone for a few minutes?" Clark leans back against my door frame and crosses his arms as he waits for me to answer.
I love that she gives him the right answer, one that makes him understand that her obsession with Superman isn't entirely superficial. And Clark knows she's probably too drunk to dissemble, so he believes her... and WAFFY hopefulness ensues smile .

Lovely, Sue!

Caroline

#46022 09/05/07 03:19 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Wow! I win! Not only did I get all this nice FDK, but I was pathetically thrilled to be the first one to finish a ficathon story. I did a little fist pump and hooted. Let's just say I was getting in touch with my inner Lois, shall we? laugh
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! *runs in and bodily tackles story and squishes it to smithereenies*
Yes, Cat. All yours. And completely your fault. It's your mess, you clean it up. (Which means, uh, Cat will be writing the sequel, doesn't it? evil )
You did a wonderful job of making Lois a believable drunk without making her a caricature.
Squee! Coming from the author I personally think writes the most amazing Lois, that's beyond praise to me. hail Thank you, Caroline!

Actually, that should be a huge THANK YOU to everyone who's written in. I honestly thought I'd get lambasted for writing a drunken Lois. blush

And, it should be noted, I finished my ficathon story first. :p Now I can sit back and read everyone else's and not have to worry that the clock is ticking...

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#46023 09/05/07 04:07 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue, as always, this was great. A drunken Lois... I felt so sorry for Lois in this episode. She was so convinced that Superman was immune to her existence.

Clark's elbow brushes against mine as he quietly says, "It's not so stupid, Lois. Did you ever think that maybe Superman was afraid to reveal himself? His true feelings?"
Superman is terrified to reveal himself to you Lois. He's afraid that you;ll reject him...again.
No, that's a lie. I've thought about it. I thought about it just yesterday when I was sitting at my desk and looked over in time to see Clark watching me. He does that a lot, but I pretend I don't notice. It's flattering, for one thing. Actually, it's beyond flattering. It's almost enough to make me wish I had one more shot at kissing him.

It's hard to describe the look that he gives me, when he's watching me. I've had my share of admirers and none of them have ever looked at me like Clark does. Other men have leered or undressed me with their eyes or simply looked away, embarrassed to be caught staring. Clark does none of those things.
You're not that drunk, Lois. Clark is just in love with you, that's all.
"What did you mean, when you said that Superman was afraid to reveal his true feelings?"

"What?" Clark tilts his head like he didn't understand the question.

"You said that maybe Superman was afraid to reveal his true feelings. Do you know how he feels about me?" I silently will him to just play along and tell me what I want to hear. Tell me that he's secretly confessed his love for me to you, Clark. Can't you say that? Even if it isn't true?

"I know he cares about you, Lois." He gives me a sympathetic smile.

I turn away from him, blinking furiously to keep the tears at bay. I wish I wasn't so maudlin when I'm tipsy. I slump heavily against the wall as my knees start to shake. Superman doesn't love me. He never will. He 'cares' about me. Big deal. He cares about everyone. I'm nothing special to him and I was stupid to think that I was.

"Lois?" Clark touches my shoulder and I shrug his hand away, wishing he wouldn't pity me and yet, it's all I have. A few torrid fantasies and a partner who's too nice to even try and lie to make me feel better. It's kind of freeing, in a way, to be so totally pathetic.

"I'm nothing to him." My words rise until they're practically a wail. "He just walked right past me, Clark, like I wasn't even there. I'm the invisible woman to him."

Clark's hand smoothes over my back as he leans down to whisper near my ear. "No, shh, Lois, that's not true."

"How would you know?" I swipe at the tears beneath my eyes with the back of my hand and push away from the wall. "Did he tell you that?"

"Actually... yes." He flinches as he answers and I wonder if he's breaking a confidence by telling me.
Little does Lois know that she's actually getting information from the horse's mouth. And because she's drunk, Clark seems to be a little more liberal regarding answers. I think the alcohol sort of softens the reactions that he expects to get from her.
"What's the secret, Clark? What are guys really looking for? I have an okay body, don't I?"

His hand tightens on my elbow and I wonder if he's about to burst out laughing. His voice is definitely a little strained as he says, "Lois, trust me, the problem isn't your body."
LOL! If only Lois knew what Clark thought of her body. I'll bet his voice was squeaking when he answered that one. evil
"You don't have to walk me to the door, you know. I only have half a flight left. I can make it on my own."

"Sorry," Clark says with a cheerful grin. "When I walk a girl home, she gets door to door service."

I roll my eyes and turn away from him. "You are so old-fashioned, Kent. I bet you bring your dates flowers, too, don't you?"

"Only when I'm trying to score points."

"Only when you're trying to score," I correct for him, looking over my shoulder to see if he blushes.

He gives me a wink that makes me blush instead. "That, too," he says lightly.
I love this Clark...the confident Clark who is in control.
Finally, Clark softly asks, "What do you think the real Superman is like?"

"Mmm." I close my eyes and try to picture him. Gentle. Sweet. Passionate. Hopelessly in love with me and afraid to admit it. Suddenly I visualize Superman sitting at Clark's desk, watching me like Clark does. That would be so amazing! What if Superman was like Clark? Right now that thought makes perfect sense to me. I giggle and look up at Clark through my eyelashes. "You," I say, before I can think better of it. "I bet Superman is a lot like you, just without the smart aleck tendencies."

Clark stands up straight and runs a hand through his hair. "I wish you were sober."

I laugh. "I don't! I hope I'm never sober again. It's going to hurt so much in the morning." Just like that, my good mood vanishes and I'm left with the same gut-wrenching grief as before. "I just wish..." I swallow back a sob and choke out the last few words. "I wish he would notice me."

Clark sighs and scratches the back of his head. "I... think you should call me when you wake up tomorrow."

"Why? Do you have a surefire hangover cure?"

"No." He shakes his head and smiles at me. "I just need you sober so we can talk."
Yep! SUperman is a lot like Clark.

Clark realizes that Lois feels more than friendship for him and it's enough for him to let her in. He also doesn't want to see her hurting anymore, thinking that Superman doesn't care about her. He wants Lois to know that she is very much loved and noticed by Superman.
My eyes fly open and I stare at ceiling as it shifts above me.

What if...?

No. I couldn't possibly be that lucky. I'm just drunk.
Yup Lois, you've got it!

Nice story Sue. You are just so good at this.

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#46024 09/05/07 06:25 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved it! It was so sweet and short. I love a great fic that makes me all warm inside. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#46025 09/05/07 11:08 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Excellent!! I loved it. I, too, loved how sympathetic and believable your Lois was, and I loved that she is thinking how much like Clark that Superman is.

Now I can sit back and read everyone else's and not have to worry that the clock is ticking...
Ummm... Well, no, because you still have to write the sequel, you know...

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#46026 09/06/07 03:17 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Very nice, Sue. I really enjoyed this. A very believable an likeable S1 Lois.

I definetly vote for a sequel as well!! smile

Jo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard