#4597 07/18/03 12:16 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Wow! Great piece. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#4598 07/18/03 02:15 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, Anna! eek frown mecry

Really well written -- both endings. I prefer the first . . . wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#4599 07/18/03 04:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This story is really sad! whinging I like both endings though believe it or not... I mean nobody should ever commit suicide, but the second one kind of has a Romeo & Juliet twist to it, which is somewhat romantic... I dunno... I definately like the first one better though! Great story even if it is a tearjerker!

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#4600 07/19/03 02:53 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Anna, were you any chance in a 'crappy' mood the other day? wink

Interesting exploration of a mistake and it's consequences. I'm not going to get into the 'problem' of your stated public excuse for Clark's death. Any death that is the result of a crime would require a police investigation and an autopsy, which is not something that Lois would have wanted. But I know that wasn't the focus of the story so I let that slide by.

While I don't think that Lois Lane is the type of person who would ever commit suicide, I could almost buy into it if, besides her sense of guilt, and loss, there was also the idea of 'punishment' for what she had done. In her mind, she could justify a criminal component to her actions. Just as involuntary manslaughter isn't the same as murder it still is a crime. After all, she didn't just kill her husband, and lover. She deprived the world of its Superman. A crime derserving a death penalty perhaps?

Tank (who isn't sure that Lois would choose a gun to off herself... too messy wink )

#4601 07/19/03 05:36 AM
R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
I actually think the pessimistic ending is more real given the love Lois has for Clark.

I've never seen such a fanfic done but what would Lois do if Lex finally succeeds in killing Superman but the crime can't be traced to him. Only Lois knows but she is unable to prove it as Lex has destroyed the evidence she has.

Would Lois take the law into her own hands and kill Lex. I think she would even though it goes against sensibility that Lois would take the law into her own hands.

#4602 07/19/03 05:39 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Not being a big fan of deathfics, both endings creeped me out. Not sure I'd label either of them, "Optimistic."

As for the story itself, I'm rather surprised the pills took effect so quickly. It took a while for Diana Stride's lipstick to affect him to the point of incapacitation, at least half a day. These pills, I would assume, need to have their coatings dissolve beforehand, giving sufficient time to pump his stomach once the pains worsened. Even then, it should take a while to make it life-threatening. But I'm sure that wasn't the focus of your story, rather Lois' reaction to her tragic mistake and Clark's instant forgiveness.

I wonder if it would have been more fitting if Lois had killed herself with a fact-acting poison?

As for Tank's contention that she would never commit suicide, he may be right. In this case, though, she may have wanted to rejoin their souls in the next life as soon as possible, rather than living through several decades unhappy, since she knows they are soulmates throughout time.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#4603 07/19/03 05:48 AM
R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Deathfics are not everyone's cup of tea but I actually like reading an occasional well done death fic. Cape Of Good Hope and Tribute To A Hero (I think that's the title) were both excellent.

Most deathfic seems to take place in alt universes so the impact is not the same.

There really is so little deathfic - if anything I'd like to see a little more of it.

that I fen'

#4604 07/19/03 06:05 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've never seen such a fanfic done but what would Lois do if Lex finally succeeds in killing Superman but the crime can't be traced to him. Only Lois knows but she is unable to prove it as Lex has destroyed the evidence she has.
Try "Out of Time" by ML Thompson. There, Lois is married to Luthor when she discovers Clark's true identity after he has been killed, and knows who the killer is.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#4605 07/19/03 07:22 AM
R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Thanks RL. I have read that and it great. But I don't count it as a deathfic as Clark comes back to life in the end. Like DC did with their Doomsday story in the early 90(s).

For me deathfic is only powerful if the death has a meaning and if dead is dead. No coming back. It makes for a poignant story. Sad yes, but if done well these stories can be the most gripping.

Things don't always end happily. So a story whee Luthor/evil truimphs in the end over Superman/good becomes a lesson in this.

Come to think of it, other than tank endings and alternate universe stories, I can't recall a fanfic where Luthor actually wins in the end. I wouldn't mind reading some authors' takes on that but again, its not the cup of tea of many Superman/Lois/Clark fanfic readers.

#4606 07/19/03 03:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well this gentle reader was sorry she read it. mecry Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#4607 07/21/03 03:21 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Anna,
not a fan of death fics
this is well done
merry

#4608 07/21/03 06:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow Anna,

I won't change my opinion on this, well done smile

I know some might not like the idea of Lois commiting suicide, true it's not her character, but you wrote it in such a way that I can understand her motive...and buy it.

As for the deathfic, well, I like the fact that Lois and Clark are not necessarly bound to 'live happily ever after' nor 'to share their lifetime together'...and A fatal Mistake is a good exploration of that.

Carole smile1

PS: And thanks for your thanks, you almost made me blush wink

PPS: and do I really have to choose an ending? I like both... in their own way.

#4609 07/22/03 10:40 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thank you all for your wonderful feedback!!

I'm rather surprised the pills took effect so quickly.
I thought 6 pills were enough to kill him almost instantly.

Any death that is the result of a crime would require a police investigation and an autopsy, which is not something that Lois would have wanted.
Right...

Any proposals for Lois's excuse for Clark's death?

See you soon,
AnnaBtG.

P.S.:
And thanks for your thanks, you almost made me blush
You're welcome wink

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#4610 07/29/03 12:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Anna,

I really enjoyed this story. I admit, I almost skipped over the optomistic ending. I was expecting you to bring Clark back to life in that ending. I truly enjoy the stories that end realistically, even if on a not so happy note. I find death fics incredibly sad but also a poignant reminder that real life is peaches and cream and happily ever after.

As a suggestion for "Clark's" death, you could have him die of a disease or something- maybe pneumonia. If I am right, autopsy are only required in the investigation of wrongful deaths.

Nqoire {Who loved A Fatal Mistake as one of the few sad endings she had read}

Imagine.
#4611 07/30/03 11:14 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thanks for the suggestion, Nquoire. I'll work on it.

I truly enjoy the stories that end realistically, even if on a not so happy note. I find death fics incredibly sad but also a poignant reminder that real life is peaches and cream and happily ever after.
I agree, and this is what I tried to do here.
(That's why the Optimistic Ending is not soooooooo optimistic)

AnnaBtG. (who was afraid she'd receive many tomatoes for Clark's death, but now is happy to see she was wrong)

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
I think both ends are really well written.

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard