Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#45931 09/03/07 08:22 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well I don’t think I have many more superlatives to spare Caroline. notworthy
You do bring Smallville alive in so many little ways. Else world fic often are difficult because it so important that you recognize the characters, but you would have little trouble with that.
I like the premise and It always irritates me how Luthor wedding didn’t have any consequences, and that her husband to be suicide didn’t figure more prominently in her thoughts. clearly the event would turn her into a minor celebrity and Lois would hate to be foremost known in the public consciousness as Lex Luthor’s bride to be. It would have been a perfect tie in with the rest of the series and It could have been a running gag.
I'm kind of surprised not more fics like Wendys "healing time" are made on this theme.

The imagining, the dialogue, the humour, and the packaging is just so good. Just packaging is something that people tend to skimp on. You know throw Lois and Clark together and let them get to the good stuff, I always find it kind of curious how very small thing makes the difference between buying the development in some stories and in others the authors hand comes into the screen and I cannot suspend my disbelief.
And I don’t know if I’ve told you how much I like the natural way you weave dialogue from the show into your stories.

And the sequence were Lois tries to change the scenario by will alone was just to funny.
He was being very dense. My next fantasy lover would have brains and beauty, I decided, but for now I was willing to work with what I had.

“Are you all right?” my dream man asked, looking concerned.

“Fine,” I told him. “I was just, um, trying to change. You know, slip into something more comfortable.” I gave him what I hoped was a sultry look, but it just made him look more nervous. “I’m sorry.” I sighed and sagged back into my chair. “This isn’t working out.”

“Um, what isn’t?”

“This dream. It was good at first. That flying down from the sky thing you did was really cool, and then… well, I sure can’t complain about the way you look. But you don’t seem all that interested in me, not that I blame you at the moment. I know I’m not… well, it’s been a tough time for me lately, and I guess I haven’t been thinking much about how I look. I was trying to imagine myself in something else, but it’s just not working, so maybe we can try it again another time. I’ll try to dream up a shower and some clean clothes, and maybe you could look just a little less terrified.”

He smiled, and I realized that my imagination hadn’t spent itself after all. He’d been beautiful even when he looked nervous and fearful, but when he smiled, he was like an engraved invitation to sin.
It also fits so well that she doesn’t treat his abilities as anything extraordinary. Lois not saying anything because she don’t want to ruin the magic.You can really see him becoming intrigued on that alone. Actually, the entire story seems to glow with some fairytale quality.

Thank you for sharing. smile

“He was just the tusk, right?”
I didn't get what this expression meant.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#45932 09/03/07 11:26 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Arawn
It was a refrece to the story about the blind men and the elephant.

Here is the poem by Saxe:

http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Saxe.html

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
#45933 09/04/07 12:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank you, mervoparkite. smile

Strange, I had never heard about this story. But it was certainly very fitting. Is this something the average american is supposed to be familiar with?

It reminded me of one of Labrat's stories inspired by "High Flight". That was a poem that Clark could appreciate.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#45934 09/04/07 04:29 AM
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
WOW!! What a great story. Absolutely loved it.

thanks!

rkn
#45935 09/04/07 05:41 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Caroline, this was an abosolutely enchanting story. I loved it! Others have already mentioned it, but I felt all of Lois' emotions so clearly. It was a perfect mix of poignant sadness, humour and joyfulness. <sigh!>

Your Martha and Jonathan are amazing. Martha's insight into how to help Lois emerge from her depression and disappointment by giving her a reason to get out of bed and eat everyday made me love her even more. I wish I had a Martha of my very own.

I know Ann already quoted it, but this made me laugh out loud. I could totally see the characters in my mind.
“Cavort away,” I informed him, with a languid wave of my hand.

“I… beg your pardon?” he said, his voice cracking somewhere in the middle.

“I said, ‘cavort away’.” I sat up and enunciated more clearly.

“I, uh….” He came a few steps nearer, emerging hesitantly from the corn onto my tiny patch of front lawn. “I’m not sure what you mean by that.”

He was being very dense. My next fantasy lover would have brains and beauty, I decided, but for now I was willing to work with what I had.

“Cavort,” I told him. “It means to frolic about. To caper. But I was using it as a euphemism for sex.”
rotflol
Lois and Clark's use of the Field of Dreams references made me smile and I loved the use of the elephant and the blind men in your story. I had just read that story for the first time last week while reading a book to my son. Fantastic way to show us the difference between her feelings for Clark vs those in her past.

Thanks for the WaFF!
BJ

#45936 09/04/07 06:59 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Wow, Caroline...

All right, I'll admit, I started reading this with full intention of "blasting" you... Field of dreams belongs in Iowa (there's Heaven for ya!), not Kansas. But I absolutely loved it... loved the whole "dream" man sequence, Lois telling Clark she wasn't going to build him a baseball field... wonderfully written! I'd gush more, but I've already been online too long as it is!! smile

I truly enjoyed this! Thank you!!! smile

Jo.

#45937 09/04/07 10:27 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Arawn, thanks as always for your comments! And Vonceil, thank you for providing the link to the Saxe poem. I was afraid when I wrote it that that reference was going to be a little too obscure, and it looks like I was right. At first, I wanted Lex to be the trunk - since that's the part the blind man thought was like a snake - but "He was the trunk" really would have been confusing, given that the word 'trunk' has several meanings. I might change it to "elephant's trunk," though, in the archive version. smile

All right, I'll admit, I started reading this with full intention of "blasting" you... Field of dreams belongs in Iowa (there's Heaven for ya!), not Kansas.
Whew! Thank you for forgiving me, Jo! I guess it's probably a good thing I never could figure out how to work in the heaven quote laugh . I came *this close* to using it during the flying scene and decided it would be over the top.

I wish I had a Martha of my very own.
Oooh, me too. I adore writing Martha - something I'd never have guessed when I started writing in this fandom - and manage to work her into just about every one of my stories. I'm so glad you enjoyed this take on her.

Thanks again to everyone who has commented! You've all just blown me away with your response to this story. sloppy

Caroline

#45938 09/04/07 01:22 PM
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
This story was so beautifully written that as soon as I read it, I tried to find more of your stories.

The emotions from all the characters were so well described and the imagery was as well, making it easy to picture this in my head as I read.

#45939 09/04/07 01:32 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Anonpip, you didn't mention whether you'd found Caroline's other stories or not, but if you didn't, they are here:

http://www.lcfanfic.com/author_c.htm#CarolineK

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#45940 09/04/07 02:56 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

Maybe I'm late to the feedback party, but I still want to tell you that this was one of the most beautiful, most painful, most tender stories of recovery that I've ever seen. And Clark never pretended to Lois that he was anything other than who he really is! Well, not really; he didn't ever lie to her.

Oh, the elephant thing! The first reference I thought of was the old saying, "Well, now I've seen the elephant!" Meaning, to me at any rate, that Lois had seen only what Lex wanted her to see (his tusk, one of his more impressive features), but Clark allowed her to see everything about himself.

The phrase originated back in the early 19th century, when the new American west (Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, western Tennessee, etc.) had very little regular communication with the East and few books of exotic animals with pictures. So when carnivals and circuses came through the larger towns, people from all over would come to view the unbelievable pachyderms they brought with them. When they went home and their neighbors asked them how the show was, they'd reply, "Well, now I've seen the elephant!" It meant that they'd seen something that no one else around those parts had seen and that nothing else in life would surprise them. That's how I took Lois's remark that she'd seen "the whole elephant" with Clark and just the tusk with Lex.

Anyway, Catharine, this story is so wonderful! I love it. You truly had me laughing and wiping tears away at the same time! I'm going to nominate it for several somethings at Kerth time, and I plan to vote for it too! It was such a beautiful glimpse into a wounded spirit, and such a tender view of that spirit slowly healing. And I liked the idea of Lois having a "secret identity" for a change. In fact, there was nothing here that I didn't like a lot.

I envy your ability to touch your readers' hearts in so many different ways. You're so dratted good at this! It's not fair for you to compete with us normal mortals.

notworthy

hail

My sincerest and warmest thanks for sharing this with us.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#45941 09/04/07 03:33 PM
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Oh, I meant to mention that I hadn't, so thanks MrsMosley! I'm off to read some more...

#45942 09/04/07 11:40 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I was afraid when I wrote it that that reference was going to be a little too obscure, and it looks like I was right.
Too obscure would be if you don't pick it up at all. I really like it when a story forces me to think and the metaphore in itself is both apt and profound. If you are observing a couple from the outside you will just not get all their in jokes. Others readers seems to have connected the dots so perhaps it's just a cultural thing in my case. I gather that this is a famous children's tale in the USA?

If you wanted to make it clearer you could have had Clark recite a line out of the poem so you know that that is what it is.

#45943 09/04/07 11:54 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Arawan,

I didn't know the story as a child, myself, I only discovered it once I had children of my own. But, that doesn't mean that I don't love it. I have also used it with my students to get the point that sometimes observations first observations don't give you the whole picture.

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
--Lab safety limrick--
#45944 09/05/07 09:11 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ditto all of the above. notworthy

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#45945 09/05/07 11:52 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Caroline that was spectacular.

The poigniancy of the story and the characterisation was amazing. The way you describe Lois' feelings gives them such depth and meaning. I love the way you've written Martha here as well.

Brava!

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
#45946 09/05/07 12:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I might change it to "elephant's trunk," though, in the archive version.
I personally like the "tusk" for Lex--even is a snake/trunk metaphore is also fitting. The tusk is beautiful ivory but also hard and so sharp that you can be skewered on it--like "loves arrow"(positive aspect) or a spear--depending on how you look at it. It would seem in this story that Lois got "both" from Lex.

I can't say enough how much I love this story. You are truely a gifted writer.

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
--Lab safety limrick--
#45947 09/07/07 03:59 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Caroline,

What a sweet story. I have no time these days to read L&C like I love to do but your story drew me in and wouldn't let go. Wonderful stuff!

Thank you for sharing your talent with us.
Write On! smile1
Anne

#45948 09/07/07 09:13 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow! What a beautiful story. You write so well, it drew me right in and I couldn't put it down.
I love the images you created. Also your portrayal of Lois after the Luthor fiasco was dead on. I am so glad she came to Smallville.

Having Clark show up as a "ghost" was brilliant. I totally adored how they fell in love with each other without really knowing anything about the other. It shows that feelings are much more powerful than facts. Anything can happen.

Thank you for finding such a satisfying solution/end to such an aweful experience in Lois's life! I am so grateful for that. I already saved the story as one of my favorites!

Natascha

#45949 09/13/07 12:25 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I swear I’m not making this up – a store with a sign that advertised “wallpaper and saw sharpening.”
I just love this! There's a business in Wisconsin that sells taxidermy and cheese and another in Iowa that sells a laundry list of products for manly men, including guns, liquor and ammo--a frightening combination!

One of the nicer things about running away from home is that you don’t really have to keep to a schedule.
Gee, I never thought of Lois as an optimist. wink

I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry when I finally saw my ‘cottage’, but then, ever since my wedding day, laughter and tears had felt like they were in close competition, both just under the surface of my emotions and neither one willing or able to come out.
and
It sounds melodramatic, but it was as if the darkness of that silent night had invaded my soul, and the sunlight was powerless to touch me.
How poignant and tragic.

The first two meetings with Clark are hysterical. And the way Martha told Lois that she knew who she was, was so sweet.

“I think the best beginnings are in Smallville.” Then, as if to prove it, he leaned down and kissed me, and even though it was our first kiss, it felt as easy and natural as breathing. I was content to remain there forever, with his lips warm and sweet on mine, and when he made as if to pull away, I tugged him back, not ready to let him go.
How sweet!

And up there in his arms, with the Kent’s cornfield spread out beneath us, I realized for the first time that I was in love with him.
I love how pure and innocent their love is for each other. Your Lois, as broken as she is, is so much more accepting of Clark, and all that he is.

There was more to say – a lifetime’s worth of things – but Clark was a good son, and when he was sure I had pulled myself together, he swung me up into his arms.
This says so much in so few words.

I had fallen in love with an entire family, and they had accepted me and loved me back.
What a delightful alternative to the way I did it.

Elisabeth

#45950 06/23/09 07:35 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, I am resurrecting a *very* old feedback thread, but this story popped up on the archive's random button, and I just had to comment. I've read it before, and it's been in the back of my mind as an exemplary description of depression and recovery. But this particular line caught my eye today:

"Every minute I was there, I expected George Bailey to come running down the street caterwauling about what a wonderful life he
had."

What an apt description of Smallville, and just the use of the word caterwauling tells you right away what an adept writer Caroline is. All this to say, if you haven't read her stories yet, do. Right now. Starting with this one.
Field of Dreams by Caroline K

-Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard