Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
anagram Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
What a terrific piece.

I love the way Lois and Clark conduct themselves, a very mature and adult approach with just a waft of the turmoil that is going on underneath. The subtly of emotion you allow each of them to show on the surface left me pondering the depth of feeling that drives them, especially Lois.

The matter of fact acceptance that each has in mutually recognising the decisions and mistakes they have both made to this point makes for a future full of promise as they look for a solution together rather than wallowing or dwelling on past hurts to the point of incapacitation.

Needless to say, it wont be all sunshine and roses and I'm sure Lois is going to do her level best to flay Clark alive more than a few times - which he probably jolly well deserves!

I'd just like to add that I love fics where Lois and/or Clark have undergone some form of separation from each other, but don't just drop the bundle and turn into veritable basket cases as a result. They are both rational and highly skilled adults who had lives before they met each other and, while they suffer a great amount of pain and anguish at the loss of the other (which I believe has a huge impact on them and I don't want to understate the level of that impact), are still capable of functioning successfully, if not as necessarily as content or happily as they would have otherwise.

Title suggestions: 'unmasking duality', 'piercing the veil (of mendacity)' or 'playing the system'

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
How about Mendacity for the title?

Wow, Dandello, this story blew me away! I don't do lengthy FDK, I'm not good at picking apart a story, I just go by my overall impression and I'm just sitting here with my mouth open, utterly astonished by the quality of your writing! You followed the outline of the challenge but definitely made it your own! Thank you for posting it!

Top Banana
Top Banana
That was wonderful. I loved how Lois recognized his writing right away and her systematic investigation.

On the other hand, Clark rarely stood tall. His posture was always relaxed – almost to the point of slouching – and he even sauntered a little when he walked. Superman strode on a scene. Clark loped, or didn’t arrive at all. Superman exuded an aura that made him seem larger than life. Even on camera you could feel the strength of his presence. Clark was simply ‘Clark’. If he had an aura, it shouted ‘I’m just a normal fellow you can ignore.’
This was spot on and just a fragment of all of the things I wanted to quote! Excellent job.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I liked this. I found it an interesting situation and one that could have logically grown from the situation presented in the challenge.

I like that Lois is still a bright, successful individual who, like many of us, has had to deal with loss, but still realizes that she has to keep moving forward.

She misses Clark, and Perry greatly. As any of us would when a loved one is lost. But none of us 'quit living'. We know that for us the sun will rise the next morning and we have to get on with life.

Now we get to see her in a new situation. She's had her secret hope fulfilled in that she has found Clark alive... but what's next?

Can they find a way to move their life paths back together, or is it too late? 'They' say that you can never go home.

Tank (who thinks the getting to know each other again is going to be the fun part)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Since I put this together for not just this challenge, but also for another one that had the key word 'famous' and a 6000 word limit - I figure somethings are best left to the imagination. I tried to portray that they both grew up some (Lois probably more than Clark) and with the truth out in the open between them, they have a chance of making it.

I hope people noticed that even though Clark was 'dead', the other Superman problems in Metropolis were still there. angel-devil

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have too little time for this, Dandello, but I had to respond anyway.

This was brilliant. I second everything Viv said. I have rarely felt Lois's love for Clark as strongly as I feel it here.

We use the word "love" to describe two emotions: (selfish) need on one hand, and unselfish, caring, giving generosity on the other. The first emotion has to to with getting one's own wishes, the other has to do with empathizing with another person and wanting what is best for him or her. (Of course, if you respect another person you can't decide all on your own what is best for him or her. It's possible to give love to another person in a condescending way, where you believe that you have all the answers.)

Of course, human love can't be all about giving love to others without wanting anything for yourself. People who are that unselfish are intolerable in the end. It's just not possible to understand what drives them. Show me a saint who is nothing but altruistic, and I'm going to believe that this is a con artist with an unpalatable hidden agenda - at least if he or she has the slightest interest in parading his or her goodness and showing it off to others!

No, if you ask me, the best people are those who have their own needs as well as a generous interest in others. And that is how I would describe your Lois in this fic. Lois most certainly has her own needs, and Clark is one of those needs, but she isn't a parasite who can't survive unless she can join herself unseparably to Clark and draw her very life force from him. She can go on without him, and she does. She does well, too. But she misses Clark, and she wants him back. Not because she absolutely needs him. But because "just Lane" isn't as good as "Lane and Kent".

But this Lois understands that "just Kent" also isn't as good as "Lane and Kent". And she most certainly understands that "just Superman" isn't even nearly as good as "Clark Kent from Metropolis".

He needs her. He does. They both need each other. Not because they can't go on without each other, because they can. But because they are both much happier with each other than on their own. And Lois knows that while she misses Clark very much and very much wants her back, she can give him at least as much as he can give her. Because she can help him find his way home, so he can stop running.

This is a most beautiful portrait of mature tolerance, understanding, generosity, caring and love.

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
hyper clap
Delightful. Stunning. Wonderful.

Framework4
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oooh I liked this too--it had a smart opening. I liked that the other events in S2 happened and Lois and Clark's interaction felt really genuine.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story. Good title. Keep it coming.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry to disappoint but this is a 0ne-off. (I'm pretty much going back to the Planes and to Time - but this challenge just hit me right) I've wanted to see a 'Lois figures it out' revelation that was adult and didn't have her screaming that he was the lunkhead - that she knew she was a player and she was part of the problem and if there was going to be a future for them, it was up to her to start handling it.

But if somebody else wants to take up the pen to continue it - let me know and maybe we can collaborate. clap

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Can I just say 'ditto to what Tank said'?

I like that this was calm, logical, realistic. Not waffy (I remember that you don't do waffy!) but satisfying.

My favorite line:

Her voice was level, evenly pitched, pleasant. Lois at her most dangerous.
Thank you for sharing this with us, Dandello!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
This was a great fic. I loved their adult interactions and the passing references to other S2 events.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I, too, loved the line re: Lois at her most dangerous. I also loved that Clark was so thrown off-balance, and yet he didn't run away. I also was quite pleased that Clark still managed to pay his taxes all these years.

Nice story, from the details to the all-over "feel" of it.

Elisabeth

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I always like to see Lois at the top of her investigative game. Very well done.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
There are some things about this fic that stuck in my mind, and that I didn't comment on the first time I replied.

“Hello Clark,” a woman's voice said from behind him. His heart jumped at the familiarity of the voice. He tried to stay calm as he looked over his shoulder to see a woman with short dark hair wearing a fashionable skirted business suit.

“Hello Lois.”

She stepped closer to his table and he could now see the tension around her eyes as she looked back at him. “May I sit down?”

He nodded, afraid to speak for fear of embarrassing himself by stuttering. She pulled out the chair opposite his and settled into it, ankles crossed demurely, burgundy leather briefcase at her feet.
I very much like how you describe Lois here: short dark hair, fashionable skirted business suit, burgundy leather briefcase. There is tension around her eyes, and she keeps her ankles crossed demurely as she sits down.

There is nothing lightweight or flimsy about this Lois. She is a very mature woman who has considered her options and knows ecxactly what she wants. Lois at her most dangerous, as you pointed out a little further down in the text!

And Clark is very impressed (as well as frightened). He, too, likes this not-to-be-trifled-with Lois:

He wanted to believe her. She was so beautiful sitting there, poised and professional – a dream come true. A dream he'd prayed for every night.
Seeing her is wonderful. Her beauty is so striking, and her maturity and strength of character is a wonder to behold. Yes, Clark has dreamed about this woman ever since he himself "died", and now she is here, his wonderful dream. Except...
But it was just a dream.
Seeing is believing, but seeing is not enough. Look what happens when Clark's other senses picks up Lois's presence:

“Lois, why are you here?”

She shrugged and he could hear the silk of her blouse rubbing against her jacket. He could smell the scent of her perfume and the tang of sweat under the silk.
He can hear the sound of her clothes as she moves, and he can pick up the smell of her perfume and her sweat. And suddenly she is overwhelmingly real. Clark can see her and smell her in a way that makes sure that she isn't a dream. This woman not only looks like Lois. She sounds like Lois too, and she smells like Lois. She is Lois. And from this point on, I felt convinced that Clark would come home, to Metropolis and to the wonderful physical reality of Lois. By the way, thanks for mentioning Lois's sweat. Women do their very best to kill their own natural smell, but Clark would know the smell of Lois. And if he loves Lois, he is almost bound to love the smell of her, too.

Once again, I love this vignette.

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, Lois was perfect and intense to me. She was very mature and calulating. I liked her change in those two years, it was fabulous that she figured out the mystery, didn't keep Jimmy in the cold, went after what she wanted and didn't hesitate.
It was enjoyable seeing another potentional TOGoM outcome.

“But, you’re Lois Lane…,” the girl said in wide-eyed amazement. “You’re famous too. You used to know Superman.”
The opening was great, funny and made me curious.

“It would have been better with Clark,” she told him.

“Maybe, maybe not,” Perry said. “You’re still one of the best.”

“Damn straight,” she said with a shaky grin. Perry was right, as always. Clark would have tried to contact them, wouldn’t he?
Good she admitted that Clark was good, but I enjoy how she agreed with Perry about herself.

Two weeks later Perry was dead in the middle of the bullpen of a massive heart attack.
jawdrop
Good heart string pull. Poor Lois. Her 'home' has really been altered.

By the time Keene’s second book, An American in Borneo, hit the shelves, Lois already had a file started on the best-selling author C.J. Keene. She had copies of his magazine and newspaper articles from all over the world. He was as prolific as he was mysterious.
That's our Lois!

“I’ll be around when I’m needed,” he said. “I love Metropolis, its energy, its openness. But I need to be out in the rest of the world more. The kittens are just going to have to fend for themselves.” He chuckled a little at his own joke. “I’ve let Mister Brown know I won’t be available for any more personal appearances.”
laugh Hehehe.

When he’d traveled the world after college he had found it convenient to stay in rooming houses, cheap hotels, or to sublet apartments. He lived out of his suitcase – many times he never even bothered to unpack. His year and a half in Metropolis with his own apartment had spoiled him and he’d found it hard to return to that old lifestyle, at least in the beginning.
It is difficult to go back when one has had such changes.

He had actually tried living only as Superman for several months, sleeping in the sky and eating only what he could forage unseen or when he went home to his parents in Smallville.
I don't find that a great life, despite doing all the good he would have done during that period. Poor Clark, but he didn't fight hard enough to keep his life as Clark.

Superman didn’t have friends he could go out to games with, or sit down for coffee, or shoot pool with. Superman didn’t discuss politics or religion or last night’s soccer game or the latest movies. Clark Kent did that.
A person does need that.

“Mom, what’s up?” he asked as soon as his mother answered the phone.

“Lois called,” Martha Kent told him.

“What did she want?”

“She wanted to know if we knew where you were,” his father said from the second house phone.

“She’s figured it out, Clark,” his mother added.
She is one smart cookie. She didn't give up unlike Clark. I like what Clark did to try and have a real life and he became very sucessful - lucky guy - but to feel like you have to walk away from your life you prefer, that's not something Lois would do. He should have gone to her.

“Hello Clark,” a woman’s voice said from behind him. His heart jumped at the familiarity of the voice. He tried to stay calm as he looked over his shoulder to see a woman with short dark hair wearing a fashionable skirted business suit.

“Hello Lois.”
There meeting was so well done. So calm, yet there's an intensity...to me anyways.

She chuckled and smiled at him. “You went to the club wearing bullet-proof vest. You played dead hoping they’d say something that would give you a lead into what they were planning only you hit your head when they dumped you out of the car. You’ve had amnesia before, it’s not too much of a stretch that you went into a fugue state and wandered off. You’ve only now really come out of it… or maybe you’re still confused.”

“It might work,” he conceded.

She gave him a triumphant grin. “Of course it’ll work. Of course, we could just move to Paris or Berlin.”
She makes it sound so easy.

Good stuff as always. I love your style.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! This was really nice. Yet, another take on TOGOM that I never considered. Both Lois and Clark were hurting so much. Lois put all of her energy into her work and Clark...well...

You could always tell when Lois was mad or hurting because she did her best work then. I understand why, I hate that he thought that being dead was better than just telling Lois the truth regardless of how she felt about Clark and no matter how mad she would get.

This was a great read! Well done!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard