Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45622 08/19/07 01:02 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, we've come to a close. What do you think of the story? I started this hoping to make it a story accessible to non-Buffy fans. Did I accomplish my goal? Let me know what you think!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Aaahhh! sweeeet

So, the bad guys in Metropolis are still idiots and Lois gets called into an alley about once a week?

Good thing she's almost super herself.

notworthy

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love this closure Shayne. It all makes pefect sense with this story that things should progress slowly. It fits with the Lois you created in this story. I love the ending flying analogy too. I cracked up with the bordom of Lois being kidnapped yet again. You made us really feel what she was feeling in that scene. Anyway,this was a different kind of story for me and not one I would have normally been attracted into reading on these boards, but you are such a convincingly good writer, that I just had to see it through. I am glad I did. Great job. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This story most certainly worked for me as a non-Buffy fan, Shayne. Most of the time it was utterly fascinating. (I still have a few issues with the suggestion that the general public wouldn't know about vampires because media hesitated to report on something so supernatural, but... well... let's forget about that, shall we?)

It was nothing less than absolutely gripping to see Lois come to terms with her newfound Slayer strength, with her sense of not being human anymore, and with her terrible guilt. And I loved the way you wrote the interaction between Lois and Clark. I admit it... I was hoping that maybe Lois and Clark had progressed a little further by the time we reached the epilogue... but....

It was fun and original to realize that this Lois was in absolutely constant danger of being kidnapped, and if she hadn't had her Slayer strength, she might have been killed by now, or Clark might be.

Anyway, this was a fantastic, incredibly memorable story.

Ann

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Once again you've taken a very original slant and made it work very well. It says a lot for your talents.

I'm not a fan of the Buffyverse, nor am I very familiar with it (though you'd have to have been locked in a box not to have gotten some inferences over the years by the sheer volume of 'Buffy' coming at you). Even so, your story held up quite well. You were able to give us a clear enough picture of the 'supporting cast' without the need for intimate knowledge,yet not include so much as to bore those who were familiar with that world. A fine line to walk.

Overall a very satisfying story. One that gives us an interesting alternate Lois. It was fun to see her and Clark's relationship grow as 'equals'.

As always, looking forward to more.

Tank (who wonders if slayer traits are passed genetically... a superslayer?)

Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by TOC:
It was fun and original to realize that this Lois was in absolutely constant danger of being kidnapped
Ann
How often was Lois kidnapped on the show? Seemed like every 2nd or 3rd episode. Slayer strength just levels the playing field a little.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
As others have already said, this is an excellent wrapup. There was no part of it that I disliked at all, and like Tank I understood enough of the Buffy stuff to keep up.

I think my favorite line was where Lois called for Superman to get the Kryptonite with the same exasperated, almost bored tone (in my head, anyway) that a wife would say, "Dear, the kitchen sink is draining slowly again." Subtle but very funny. Right after that was the "One of them is shot in the butt but it's not my fault, honest!" line. I can just see Bill Henderson leaning his head into his hand with the phone against his ear, thinking, "Not again! I should have these forms pre-filled with just the date and perp names blank!"

Excellent story! Best crossover I've ever read on these boards. Your characters were deep and full, Lois's thought processes and slow acceptance of her Slayer abilities were on the money all the way through the story, and the relationship between Lois and Clark was presented very well. My only complaint is that I won't have any more installments of "Strong" to look forward to! Wah! This was one of the stories where I really, really wanted to know what happened next. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I just want to echo the praise of the other commenters--this story transcended the typical crossover story. It did offer us a darker Lois, but I really believed the characters and enjoyed the resolution you offered in this part!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Once again,an outstanding story Shayne. hyper

Thanks for taking the time to write and share this with us!!!

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Shayne!

Buffy and Lois and Clark, it's like chocolate and bananas or pasta and pesto. Two of my favourite things added together to make a brilliant thing.

I remember back in the day that there were several buffy/lnc crossovers, I even found a cartoon one that someone had done. I don't know how many exist anymore. But this was a real blast from the past.

Thank you, it was fantastic!

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
I ended up really liking this story, and I think you managed the difficulties inherent in a Crossover (mainly that you need to respect all the characters) remarkably well, given the potential generic incompatibility between the two stories. I liked that Clark was the one who (in part) needed to be rescued.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I think my favorite line was where Lois called for Superman to get the Kryptonite with the same exasperated, almost bored tone (in my head, anyway) that a wife would say, "Dear, the kitchen sink is draining slowly again." Subtle but very funny. Right after that was the "One of them is shot in the butt but it's not my fault, honest!" line. I can just see Bill Henderson leaning his head into his hand with the phone against his ear, thinking, "Not again! I should have these forms pre-filled with just the date and perp names blank!"
Thanks for pointing this out, Terry! It's wonderful! clap

Ann

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'm late coming in to comment, but as one who loved Lois and Clark and mostly liked Buffy as well, I can truly say that you did an excellent job melding the two. And I add my cheers for the ending. I can just see Slayer Lois a year later with exactly that attitude, and the headaches that she would give to poor Bill Henderson! <g>

Excellent story, Shayne.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Blogger
Blogger
Shayne,

I think everything I want to say has been said already, but I figure in praise there can never be too much. :-) I think this is one of the best crossover stories I've read in terms of melding two very different and slightly incompadible universes together to make a story with punch and remarkable cohesion. I think you got the balance between the two very well, with the Buffyverse playing a strong supporting role. Most of all, you have been true to Lois and Clark as characters, exploring how they would react thrown into the Buffyverse at that point in their relationship. That is what makes a good crossover, and that is why this crossover works well. I think you also did a great job of exploiting all the baddies that the Buffyverse has to offer to really make an intense action story that you balanced effectively with a great romance. And then you topped it off with that great epilogue. I have to admit that I was skeptical that you would be able to tie up the emotional carnage created by the story in a one-part epilogue, but I shouldn't have doubted. I would love to see you dabble further in this crossover universe you have created, but you tied up the story well, and it stands alone without need of a sequel. (But please don't let that stop you from writing more in this playground if you have the whim.)

Okay, I think I'm done gushing. Thank you so much for this wonderful thrill-ride of a story. Looking forward to what you come up with next.

Hutch

Top Banana
Top Banana
“Are you all right?” he asked. He glanced over at the men lying on the alley floor and added, “Ms. Lane?”
That was my favorite line when Clark has to clarify who's well-being he's enquiring after goofy It's absolutely in-line with the general tone of this story and the universal fact about LnC (Clark caring about Lois despite any circumstances).

Adore the story and for a non-Buffy reader, absolutely loved the cross-over.

thumbsup dance notworthy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you for another great story, Shayne. I've never watched Buffy -- it's one of those shows I figure I'll catch sooner or later on DVD. I never felt lost reading your story, though. Intrigued, not lost, so I think you succeeded in your goal.

There's so much I love about this story -- the dark moods and tones, the splashes of humor, the mysteries that slowly reveal themselves. You left us eager to find out more. You chilled my blood a couple of times!

And the ending was fantastic. An interesting elseworld change for Clark. Not afraid so much for Lois, but of what she might do! Poor Clark. I wonder which universe's Clark rests easier. smile

As usual, your writing dazzles. Please write more!

hail
-- Lauren

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great story, Shayne! I always look forward to a Shayne T story, and was thrilled to find this one. I've been off the boards for a few months, and only discovered it this week, and read it from beginning to end yesterday. I'm fortunate, because if I'd been reading it in installments, I wouldn't have any nails left.

I used to follow Buffy closely in the second and third season, and caught odd episodes in the later seasons, so I was somewhat familiar with the general gist of this story, but didn't know the specifics. I had no problems following the story, and even the bits that I recognised as in-jokes and cryptic comments -- but didn't know the specifics of -- didn't bother me at all. As you explained in an earlier comment thread, we are seeing this story through Lois' eyes, and if we don't know the same things that she doesn't, then it just gets us more thoroughly in the head of the character.

The comments about the ineptitude of the Sunnydale police and the other similar cracks at the suspension of disbelief that is required in order to enjoy watching Buffy made me laugh -- or at least snort sarcastically -- in the earlier chapters. wink

(In the later chapters, I didn't have time to snort or laugh -- or breathe, much. You do action stories amazingly well, and yet are able to mix in excellent introspection, angst, romance and humour in perfect proportion. Please, never stop writing.)

I liked how Clark needed to go through his own version of hell before he could fully understand the guilt that Lois is carrying around -- although we know that he would have loved her unconditionally in any case, that shared darkness draws them together.

I loved that this universe's Lois is completely able to kick *** on her own, and even becomes Superman's protector! Lois has always defended Superman in any crisis, but with her added power -- I can totally see it panning out like this. smile

I'd ask for a sequel, but I know that you'd rather explore a new elseworld. So, looking forward to the next one. Like Anton Ego, I won't even look at the menu, but I know I'm going to love whatever you choose to serve up.

Jude smile1

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story, Shayne. You didn't make it too dark. I'm a Buffy fan, so I don't know how it played for those who weren't. I really enjoyed how you portrayed Lorne. He was always one of my favorite minor characters, after Spike. He had a small but key role in this story, just like in the series. You also wrapped up the Buffy story well, telling us about Giles and Andrew, Buffy and Willow. It was interesting to note that the lead vamp was named Angelica, not too far off from Angelus or Angel. Dang, I miss those guys. Guess I've got to buy the comic.
It was a nice melding of the two universes. I especially liked Faith's comment that it was good for a slayer to have an indestructable boyfriend. I'm guessing that's what split her up from Robin.
Nicely done.
cool
Artemis (another former denzien of Los Angeles)

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard