Previously:

“Come on, I want you to meet everyone.” He said as he steered her to the three people who were staring, but turned their gazes away and looking at anything but the couple that were heading their way.

“All right guys, I’d like you to meet my friend. Chris meet everybody. Everybody this is Chris Pratt.”

----------------------
Part 2/?

“ So how’s life as Superman treating you?” Said Chris as she took a sip from her soda in front of Clark.

“Shshshshsh” hissed Clark as he looked over his shoulder to see if anyone had heard them.

“Wow. did you have some paranoia with your breakfast today? What is wrong with you?” said Chris after she looked over her shoulder as a precaution.

“Nothing. It’s just that you were kind of loud just a minute ago.”

“Yeah, well your choice of restaurant is kind of loud.”

They were sitting outside of the café near the planet, having an early lunch. It was a beautiful day. The sun was high in the sky with a light breeze coming at them. It was the kind of weather that was perfect for a stroll in the park or a little picnic. So they decided to have their lunch outdoors instead of inside the café. And people are bustling about living their lives and working. It was a normal day in Metropolis, everybody had somewhere to go, somewhere to be. And that’s what Clark loved about it.

“It’s tiring.” Clark answered her earlier question as he took a bite from his burger.

“In more ways than one.” Chris smiled knowingly at Clark.

“She *is* a handful.” Grinned Clark.

“Speaking of she. She is totally hot. Now I know why you like her so much.”

“I don’t like her that way…” denied Clark while staring at his plate.

“Is that right?” she said as she sat back in her chair and crossed her arms with a blank look on her face, holding his gaze.

“Yeah, I mean…I like her a little bit – look you know what? Why should I even bother? You already have your own assumption of how I feel about her” he replied angrily and sighed heavily when he saw her smile widely at him.

“And I’m right with my ‘assumption’ of your feelings for her. I have it all on my computer and hours of phone cal- “

Her cell phone ring tone cut off her voice. Staring down on it, it was obvious that it was a phone call that she dreaded. She had gone paler, she had sat straighter in her chair, and her bright hazel eyes lost its’ shine. The call was obviously not welcome, which only made Clark more confused than he all ready was.

With a well-controlled hand, she reached towards her phone.

“Yes?” Clark heard her say. It was really strange what he was seeing. She was so guarded. And she was talking very quietly.
“Yeah, about that. Sorry I was sort of… busy. I understand, of course. Thank you.” She said as she ended the phone call.

“So, where were we?” said Chris in her usually bright smile. Her eyes weren’t quiet shining like they were yet.

“We were talking about why you’re here.” Said Clark not minding to change the subject. At least he can steer the subject away from *that* subject.

“Noo. I think we were talking about Lois.” Okay maybe he spoke too soon.

“Who were you talking to just now?” trying again on the subject change.

“So Lois! She’s a very……interesting character?” said Chris in a very uncertain tone. She didn’t want to make any mistakes. And she didn’t want to give off the wrong impression that she didn’t like her. It was that she didn’t dislike her. But she didn’t like her either. She couldn’t make up her mind because she didn’t get to say more than ten words to her.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
TWO HOURS AGO
<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Three pairs of eyes stared back at her. It was obviously making her uncomfortable, Clark realized. He had to do something to break the tension.

“Erm… Chris just came from New York and-“

“*You’re* Chris Pratt?!” started Jimmy.

“Yeah. It’s really nice to meet you…jimmy, right?” asked Chris uncertain with an outstretched hand.

“Yeah! How did you know?”

“Oh, Clark wouldn’t stop talking about how Jimmy is so good at research and how awesome Jimmy is with computers. I feel like I practically know you!”

Jimmy couldn’t stop the grin from appearing on his face. <C.K talks about me ...> He couldn’t believe Clark would be so proud of him.

Clearing his throat, Clark continued. “This is Cat Grant, she writes Cats’ Corner...”

“Hi” Chris said with an outstretched hand.

Cat looked at the hand in front of her and contemplated shaking it. She looked at her with a raised eyebrow and looked at her from top to bottom. What was she trying to prove anyway?

Turning she left them without a word, and went to her desk to do whatever the hell she usually does.

“Did I do something…?” she turned to Clark

“No, don’t worry she’s always been like that.” Said Clark not caring, while he redirected her attention. “And this is Lois.”

“Ms. Lane. It’s really nice to nice to meet you. I’ve been a fan of yours for a long time.”

“You’ve heard of me?” asked Lois with surprise written all over her face. < Of course she’s heard of you Lois! She *can* read, you idiot! Or maybe she heard of you from pillow talk with Clark. Although that is very likely, I think I’m going to bet on it that she heard of me from reading the paper, just like you’ve heard of her from her work. Granted you thought she was a he, and you didn’t know Clark knew him, err her. Why didn’t he tell me he was a she? Pay attention Lois she’s talking again! >

“I’m sorry?”

“Umm, I just said that your “Wall of Sound” article was amazing, …” repeated Chris uncertain.

“Oh! Thank you. Well I err, better get back to work.” Lois ended the conversation with a little smile, not looking at Clark.

There was a long moment of silence as they all stood there uncertain what to do, or what to say.

“So! Chris, how long have you known Clark?” asked Jimmy trying to break the silence.

“All my life. We grew up together actually.” Smiled Chris.

“Really? So you’re from Smallville?”

“Yep. We were neighbors.”

“Cool… so uhh, how long are you in town?”

“Erm, about two weeks or so. I’m not sure.”

“Speaking about being in town; what are you doing in Metropolis?” interrupted Clark.

“Vacation?”

“Gosh, I’m so hungry! Do you have anything to eat?” added Christina, changing the subject before Clark could add anything else.

“Sure, we can go have something to eat while we catch up,” answered a smiling Clark as they turned towards the elevators.

“Jimmy, can you tell Perry that I’m taking an early lunch if he asked?” asked Clark as an afterthought.

“Sure thing C.K, it was a pleasure to meet you Chris.”

“You too, we’ll talk later,” waved Chris at Jimmy.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

“Give her time. You’ll see.” Grinned Clark.

“You see that’s the thing, I don’t think I have any time left.” Said Chris so gently that without his hearing he would’ve missed the last part.

----------------------
To Be Continued...

[Changing the header of the post to reflect the new title of the story, so that readers can find all of the parts easily - LabRat ]

Sarah,

Tempus: You want to know the future, Miss Lane? No one works, no one argues, there are 9,000 channels and nothing on!