Next Thread
Print Thread
#45146 08/05/07 03:25 AM
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
Oh, C. What a chapter. You covered so many emotions, so many quiet discoveries - that he was betraying Lois, that he was betraying his parents, that he was betraying himself. And that baby... *sob*

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Everything I've read this afternoon seems to leave me reaching for the tissues. frown

The yearning he’d felt in the alley returned full force. He knew that, for so many reasons, this might be the only chance he ever had to name a baby, and for a moment he wished desperately that this could really be his child, his son. The name “Kent” was on the tip of his tongue, but that was too close for comfort, so instead he said, “Jonathan. I’d like to call him Jonathan.”
mecry
My heart bleeds for poor Clark. He wants a normal life but he can't deny his true self either. At least he's realised that now.

After that, he – Clark – would take Lois somewhere private and tell her everything. He refused to allow himself to hope that conversation would end well, but at least it would be the truth.
Beautiful writing, and nice to know it all works out in the end. wink

Right?

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Superman was not going anywhere – he knew that now
Delightful.

“Baby Jonathan,” the nurse repeated with a smile. “It’s a fine name and will give him a good start in life. Thank you, Superman.”
There is no way that Lois Lane can miss this. Clark wrote the whole thing up for the paper, even if he left the baby's name out of his story LNN will have it. Cute baby's are the stuff of TV news.

So Lois will hear and she will put it all together
  • 1st: Superman is Clark
  • 2nd: Superman is a mask
  • 3rd: Clark is the real person
  • 4th: Clark is going to give up being Superman
  • 5th: He is giving up Superman for her

Someone has to save Superman. Clearly this is a job for Mad Dog Lane!

It would also be nice if we could have a seen with Jonathan watchig TV when the news item about the baby is shown.

Framework4
Columnist
Columnist
oh Caroline another great chapter and Clark is beginning to realize what he'll give up. I love your story and I can't wait for the next part.

Hope Lois will make it right. smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
Waaaah!!! I loved this chapter. I love that he has finally figured himself out. I still think he should go directly to her today and tell her and not wait a day... but I'm sure you will make it work out in the end.

whinging A couple of weeks though? *sniff*

I'm sure we will manage. ^_^ But I am going to die a little bit while a wait. lol

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is another brilliant part, Caroline.

The heart and center of this part, and what I take to be the turning point of the entire fic, is Clark-as-Superman saving the little baby boy in the trash can. I was momentarily sorry that it was important to Clark that the baby he saved was a boy, because I am convinced that the vast majority of fetuses aborted and infants abandoned globally are girls, not boys. Oh, but... yes, I can see why the little baby that Clark saved from the trashcan had to be a boy:

He lifted it out carefully, and for a dizzying moment, he felt transported back in time; spots seemed to dance before his eyes, and he saw not his hands but his mother's hands, lifting another baby and clasping him to her heart.
Yes indeed. As he lifts the baby out of the trash can, he is reminded of his mother lifting himself out of his spaceship. He can see himself in this infant. Like himself, this little baby can be regarded as an abandoned orphan, forever cut off from his blood ties and his blood relatives. (And because the baby represents himself, it has to be a boy.)

The baby was wrapped in a back issue of the Daily Planet, and....

He caught sight of his own byline as he peeled the newspaper away, the name "Clark Kent' jumping out at him amid the jumble of words on the page.
This little baby is, literally, "clothed in Clark Kent". He has, very nearly, "Clark Kent" stamped on his skin. It was the baby's mother who wrapped her baby in the newspaper and "stamped him" as Clark Kent. But then she dumped him in a trash can.

What is the significance of the fact that this little boy was found in a trash can?

His mother's hands had lifted him from a spaceship, and together, she and his father had crafted a man named Clark Kent... and Superman.
Yes. Martha and Jonathan had raised their foundling son to be Clark Kent and Superman. But Clark had been about to throw the Superman aspect of himself away - he had been about to dump Superman in a trash can, as it were.

This other little foundling's mother had "clothed her son in Clark Kent" and thrown him away. Clark retrieved the baby and wrapped him in Superman's cape. He saved the baby's life, the baby that already "was" "Clark Kent", and now he bestowed the aspect of Superman on the little boy. And in the process, he saved the part of himself that he had been about to throw away - he saved Superman.

But wait a minute. Was that all he saved? Was it all about saving Superman? What about Clark Kent? Would Clark Kent have been all right if he had ripped away the part of himself that was Superman?

Caroline, you made Constance Hunter explain it to Clark in the previous part. CLark/Superman is not two people. He is one man. Trying to amputate an unwanted aspect of himself is not going to turn him into a hale and happy Clark Kent. It's going to turn him into a mental cripple - no, worse: it's going to turn him into a piece of discarded garbage, all of him, because Clark Kent can't be separated from Superman.

Clark was about to dump himself in the garbage can. He had been about to dump everything that his parents had so lovingly nurtured and helped to blossom. But when he retrieved the little baby boy who was "clothed in Clark Kent", and when he "wrapped the baby in Superman" and saved his life, then he saved his own life, too. He saved Superman. And Clark Kent. And now that he understands that, he can finally be truthful with Lois. And he can be himself to her. And he can be truly faithful to her. I loved your observation that when Superman had discussed his problems with Constance Hunter, but had refused to talk about them with Lois, then he had in a way been unfaithful to her. Because he had had no faith in her. Now, at last, he is going to put her wishes and needs before his own fears of rejection. Now, at last, he is ready to love Lois as an honest man.

This is a brilliant chapter, Caroline.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It IS brilliant! In an earlier FDK, I said I couldn't wait to see how many "foundations" besides the Superman Foundation you brought into the story. Now I know--the title refers to the foundation of Clark's relationship with Lois, a relationship that has to be built on a foundation of trust and honesty. Thank you for this story! Now I can't wait for the revelation scene!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally he's coming to his senses. thumbsup He couldn't go on with his (Clark's) life while so many people need Superman. And if he were to help as Clark, soon the truth would be exposed and Lois wouldn't forgive him for lying to her. I'm looking forward for the next part! hyper

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

Lisa, this:
so many quiet discoveries
Is exactly what I was going for! Thank you sloppy .

gr8shadesofelvis, I hope it was a good cry wink . Sometimes I really like those.

Patrick, I'm so glad you enjoyed this part. The next part will be up in a few minutes, and we'll see how many of your predictions come true!

Tahu, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know.

Jojo, don't you dare die! I really want to know what you think of the ending laugh . Thanks for your comments!

Ann, thank you so much, as always, for your lovely comments. You got exactly what I was going for, and I'm so glad it worked for you. This WAS very much the turning point of the story - the point where Clark finally accepted so much about himself. I hope you enjoy the next two parts as well smile .

c ookiesmom,
Now I know--the title refers to the foundation of Clark's relationship with Lois, a relationship that has to be built on a foundation of trust and honesty.
Yes, this is it exactly smile . Thank you so much for your comments!

Andreia, it's always lovely to hear from you! I'm glad you're reading smile

Next part up in a few minutes!

Caroline

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I’m yours now... you live above us... all we’ve ever wanted is for you to be happy... making a big mistake... had to make a choice... she should be able to handle this... not sure that’s possible, son... I have to do better... we women can forgive a lot... stand up in front of the whole world and lie... making a big mistake... never run away from you again... when do you stop lying to her...? you’re different tonight... making a big mistake...
Ooooooooh!!!! I LOVE that paragraph!

He was both relieved and, perversely, a little hurt when she shook her head.
<smack!> You can't have it both ways, Clark... sheesh!

He wondered what emotions she was hiding and wished he could see beneath her calm exterior to know what was going on in her head and heart, but in this, his x-ray vision was useless.
Nice...

“You’re not two men,” she’d said, but at that moment he wished that he could be – wished he could carve himself in two and give one half to his adopted planet and the other half to Lois. Wished he really could be in two places at once, rather than just creating that illusion. Wished that he didn’t have to make a choice between duty and desire.
Poor Clark... and VERY NICE. <g>

He would have sworn that he would never consider cheating on Lois, but he had been doing just that, he realized. He had left her standing heartbroken at the fax machine that morning while he sought the comfort and counsel of another woman. It wasn’t a betrayal of the flesh, but a betrayal of the soul.
Ooooh, very interesting observation, Clark. I thought the same thing when you flew away from Lois that morning, into the comfort of another woman's council - like it was cheating on Lois.

OMG - I don't even know what to quote about the part with Clark finding the baby. It was so horrific and sad and the imagery you painted felt very real. I felt horrible for that baby... and for Clark.

But, no. He knew that keeping this little foundling was as much a pipe dream as his fantasies of a life without Superman. He’d spent the last two days chasing a mirage, and it was time for him to deal in realities, however difficult they might be. This baby had been wrapped in his newspaper, and now in his cape, but that did not make him Clark Kent’s.
<sniffle>

The yearning he’d felt in the alley returned full force. He knew that, for so many reasons, this might be the only chance he ever had to name a baby, and for a moment he wished desperately that this could really be his child, his son. The name “Kent” was on the tip of his tongue, but that was too close for comfort, so instead he said, “Jonathan. I’d like to call him Jonathan.”
Awwwwwwwwwwww! <more sniffles>

Finally, all that would be between them would be the truth.
Ooooh, what a nice ending line!

Loved this part Caroline! Made mincemeat of my heart but it was lovely and I'm so glad that Clark is coming to his senses.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard