A/N: so this whole one handed typing thing, just as hard as i thought. not to mention the last HP book came out so more delays. i apologize for the long time between posts.

Men of Steele 02 part 4

“Lois! What are you doing here?” At first Clark had thought his mind was playing tricks on him. The familiar pitter pat of Lois’s heart had caught his attention the moment she’d entered the building.

Clark immediately scrutinized her appearance for any outward injuries, finding only a few superficial cuts he used his vision “gizmo” and scanned for any broken bones. Thankfully there were none.

“Superman! Oh thank god I found you. I need you to go find Clark for me.”

Clark inwardly smiled ‘if only you knew Lois’. Steeling his resolve he slipped easily into his Superman persona.

“Is Mr. Kent in some kind of trouble?”

“No—yes—I don’t know. All I know is that I need to see him. Someone tried to kill him by blowing up his apartment—“

“They blew up m—I mean his apartment!”

“Superman please you have to find Clark I need to see him…” ,

and like an epiphany it hit her: she needed Clark. Not just to assure herself of his safety, but in the most basic way a person can be needed. She needed Clark’s corny jokes to make her laugh, she needed the innocence of his personality to keep from becoming bitter, well more bitter. She needed the comfort of his arms when she was scared or lonely, she needed the warmth of his body when frigid hostility of the world became too much to bear.

She needed her partner.

She needed her friend.

But most of all she needed the man she’d fallen in love with. As clichéd as it might sound she needed to see Clark more then she needed her next breath.

“Lois, I’ll do everything I can to find Clark, but in the mean time I need you to stay here and don’t do anything rash”

“What! No way. I’m not just gonna sit on my hands while some maniac with plastic explosives, and a vendetta against the man I love , has free rain over Metropolis—“

“The man you what—?”

“There’s no time for that now. If I don’t hurry then the “Metropolis Klutz Force” will have bungled all the evidence.”

Detaching the various tubes and wires connected to her body Lois slide off the gurney that was holding her prisoner. Clark stood, rooted to the spot, as she bustled past him; a woman on a mission.

“Lois wait—“

“Look I know you’re supposed to protect me that’s your job and every thing, but right now I need Clark, and if you’re not gonna take me with you—“

“No, I think I actually hear him…uh he’s just outside. I’ll tell him you’re here, just stay put please.”

A loud gust of wind and a rustle of paper signaled the hero’s departure, seconds later Clark came jogging into view his tie slightly skewed glasses dangling from one ear.

“Clark!”

Lois slammed into his body with the force of a middle linebacker. Any normal man would have been sprawled head over heels on the floor, but the man of steel barely registered the hit. The fact that Lois had just admitted to being in love with him moments prior had a lot to do with his preoccupation.

His arms went around her body automatically, pulling her close. Lois buried her head into the warmth of Clarks chest. Funny she’d never noticed how well defined Clark was…well that wasn’t exactly true. She’d seen him dripping wet in a towel the very first time they’d partnered up, that day seemed like it was a million years ago.

“Lois, what happened? Superman told me something about my apartment being blown up.”

“Oh Clark, the police and the Fire Marshall…they said that someone wired you house with a bomb. And I’m inclined to belive them because I nearly got my head blown off, but then I hear this clicking sound or something, and I ran as fast as I could in the other direction. Then this massive explosion happened, and the next thing you know I’m in the back of a fire truck getting oxygen, with this blanket wrapped around my shoulders, and you know come to think about it I didn’t even need a blanket, why do cops always give you a blanket and a hot beverage when you go through something like that…it’s not like you’re gonna catch hypothermia or something—“

“Lois!” Clark was pretty sure she could have gone on for another twenty-five minutes, but, while he enjoyed her rants from time to time, he had more important things to discuss. Not to mention he was pretty sure she wanted to get to The Planet as soon as possible while her train of thought was still hot. Right now Lois was, to use one of Perry’s favorite phrases, giddier then a caffeinated preacher on a Sunday morning. Nothing was going to stop her from getting to the bottom of the evening’s happenings. And to tell the truth he was kind of anxious to get to the planet himself, and not just because he was, for all intense purposes, homeless…no he’d promised Miss holt he’d look into a few things for her, and give her a call in the morning.

“I think maybe we should get out of here go back to the bullpen, and then you can tell me the whole story, sans babble intermission.” He ran a hand through the silken strands of her hair and gave her his most loving smile.

“Very funny farm boy, but admit it you wouldn’t trade one of my rants for all the corn in Kansas.”

She was right he wouldn’t, of course he couldn’t let her know that.

“Come on Lois let’s go.”

With a shocked look from the admittance nurse Clark shuffled Lois out the front door his hand on the small of her back.

“So” Lois said with a devilish grin “where you gonna stay till you get a new place?”

Clark peered at Lois, one thought racing through his mind and sending all the blood in his body in one particular direction. Not good.

New Rule: Don't call me when you're stuck in traffic. It's not my fault radio sucks. And did it ever occur to you that there wouldn't be so much traffic if people like you put down the phone and concentrated on the road? Besides, I can't talk now--I'm in the car behind you, trying to watch a DVD.~Bill Maher