Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow! This ia a great start. I like this mysterious angle. I do not, however like the fact that Clark and Lana were intimate. I don't like that they were married. But that's all beside the point.

I'm interested to see where this is going to take us. Nicely done!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I loved this part. Ahh, teenage girls mooning over cute teachers - something every high school has. smile

I was a little shocked by the sudden mention of Clark's wife (I assumed straight away that it was Lana though), but I'm getting into the swing of things now. I like stories where Clark was once married to Lana - but I prefer not to meet Lana, and I also prefer that she's died rather than them getting a divorce. Clark is SO not the divorce sort... laugh

Anyway, back to your story, Laura! I adored it. I love your style of writing and I'm really looking forward to Part 3! Sounds like it'll be posted while I'm away on holiday, but I'm hoping I can get on the net once every couple of days or so. So I'll be able to read it - yay! smile

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Looks like my lucky day, getting to read parts 1 and 2 right in a row.

This is a touching part. Grief is a killer!

I come from a town with a large high-school. The chances of having the same person in so many classes are slim. Lois sure is lucky! (BTW, please, don't take that as a snipe. I'm a BIG believer in writer's fiat. wink )

I'm looking forward the big meeting. (You are so mean for putting Clark in a hands-off role in her life.)

I do not, however like the fact that Clark and Lana were intimate. I don't like that they were married.
Yeah, but I'd hate for Clark to marry her and for them to not be intimate. Sounds kind of hinky, if you ask me.

Clark is SO not the divorce sort...
You got that right. And I love that he loved her with all of his heart. Even if it's Lana and not Lois, with a guy like Clark you want them to know the happily-ever-after. You know?

Elisabeth
who suddenly figured out who the 3rd person on the team is likely to be

Columnist
Columnist
I totally don’t have time for this right now, but I couldn’t help myself. I love this part! Commenting as I'm reading...

Clark moved silently to his bathroom, stripping as he went.
You couldn’t resist, could you? wink

Sudden Cardiac Arrest it was called. He couldn’t have known, the doctor had said. It wasn’t his fault. There were hardly any warning signs. The survival rate was less than five percent. Platitudes. Illogical, unreasonable platitudes meant to soften blows he deserved. He who could *hear* heartbeats should have been able to save her. He who had promised to love and cherish his wife for as long as they both lived had failed her when she needed him most.

His perfect, wonderful life. Shattered. He had let loose a barrage and he welcomed it, letting the terrible memories overwhelm him as he slumped to the floor of the shower, sobbing.
This is so sad!

“What did you do, get chased by a pit-bull in a paint factory?”
hyper Yay! Lucky dog is right!

Lois rolled her eyes. Great. Sixth period lit would be a blast. She’d have to deal with moony eyed senior girls.
Hehe...Just wait, Lois—you’ll be moony eyed right along with them.

Lois let Lucy’s familiar chatter wash over her as she continued to stare at the picture, suddenly feeling an ache in her heart for the man she hadn’t even met.
See, you just can’t help but feel bad for the guy.

notworthy Great job so far!

I’m very intrigued by this story and am looking forward to reading more. Now I’d better start packing for camping before my husband gets back and finds me on the computer! laugh

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
a warning request,

As far as Clark knows Lois is an underage student. In my mind as an adult and a teacher any "love' relationship between them is crossing the line.

Yet we know from canon that Clark falls hard for Lois Lane.

I think that Clark would follow the example of Job
(Job 31:1) “A covenant I have concluded with my eyes. So how could I show myself attentive to a virgin?
Please could we get a whamm warning if you intend Clark to cross the line.

Your title "Teaching Indecency" makes me think that you do intend to cross the line.

That is of course your right, it is your story, I am simply asking for a warning.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi guys. Thanks for all the reviews so far. I promise I'll leave some detailed thank yous a little bit later. Right now I just wanted to address Patrick's valid point and maybe put a few of your minds at ease.

The whole reason I love the Lois and Clark fandom is mostly due to the basic character of both Lois and Clark. I always found Clark in particular fascinating because he was so innately good. I really appreciated his high morals and as a result, do not think that I'm going to suddenly make him immoral no matter how much of a temptation Lois presents herself as. I'd like to think Clark has a very strong will. I realized before I posted this story that it dealt with some intense undercurrents and I promise to deal with them as reverently as I possibly can. You can ask both Catherine Bruce and Missy G... they've both seen the outline of where this is going and I'm pretty certain they'll agree that it will not require a heavy WHAM warning and a suddenly immoral Clark Kent. I'm not saying I'm going to shy away from the attraction, because I'm pretty certain that Clark might find his new, intuitive student pretty spellbinding, but rest assured that he will remain the upstanding citizen that we know and love. But you know, I do love a good romantic storyline so we'll just have to see. But please rest assured that Clark will not be making too many untoward advances. Some people have mentioned the movie Never Been Kissed and I have to admit some of my inspiration came from that movie. If you've seen it, you saw the interaction between Sam Coulson and Josie Gellar to be slightly intense, but always lawful. If you keep that in mind, you might see how Lois and Clark might be acting a little further along in the story. I appreciate the warning and I realize I should have posted this sooner. It could raise a very touchy subject in the fandom and that certainly isn't what I intended to do. I hope that eases your doubts, Patrick and anyone else reading.

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lighten up, Patrick. I'm sure we're safe from that scenario.

Of course Clark won't start anything with a student, no matter how attracted to her he might be! And Lois wouldn't risk her story, no matter how her heart might ache for him! I think the title refers to what the students are learning from others like Lexy and Jill. They are learning Indecency, and those girls are Teaching it.

When I was a sophomore in high school, back during the Cretaceous period, I was sitting in study hall one spring day minding my own business when one of the young male phys ed teachers leaned into the classroom and asked me if I was busy. I said "no." He said "Come with me." I did, and I rode silently in the back seat of his car while he drove a senior girl home and then returned to school. When she got out, they leaned close but didn't touch each other, except maybe a quick hand grasp, but they smiled very warmly to each other.

I realized, after someone filled me in on the gossip, that they were dating, but the administration didn't officially "know" about it, so he took me along as a chaperone without exactly telling me what my function was. It was something of a scandal that year.

They married that summer, he didn't come back to the high school, and I lost track of them. But I don't see that happening in this story. Clark is too honorable to get involved with a student, even given his deep grief over Lana. And Lois might fantasize about him, but she wouldn't make a move until she knew that he knew that she wasn't underage.

I have a little bit of teaching experience, and I chuckled when I read that Clark gave letters of encouragement to his seniors at the end of the year. I wish more teachers would do things like that. The teachers I remember even today were the ones who gave individual attention to their students, not the ones who just stood at the front of the class and gathered up homework assignments. More power to him! And I hope he stays there, even after Lois's story wins her the Pulitzer and she convinces him to become Superman when he's not filling out lesson plans.

Edit: I posted this before I read Laura's response. And please, Patrick, don't think I'm jumping on you. I only wanted to ease your mind.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm glad you discussed that, Patrick and Laura, because I always assumed that Clark would be the straight-laced guy we all know and love. I would have been highly disappointed if he got into a love affair with her without realizing who she really was. Even knowing who she is, it has to be extremely well-handled or rumors will fly. Even if she's only perceived as a "teacher's pet" by most, the rumors will fly--just in case there might be more. Everyone knows that teenage girls gossip.

Elisabeth

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Laura S:
Right now I just wanted...put a few of your minds at ease... rest assured that Clark will not be making too many untoward advances.
Thank you. I'm delighted to hear it. As I said it is your story and I was in no way trying to censor your writing. I simply wanted to know so I didn't get hooked on the story only to need to discontinue reading it.

Framework4
Kerth
Kerth
Interesting twist! This Clark could turn out to be very different than the one from the series, since he's been wounded by the loss of his wife. It might be difficult to open his heart to someone else. I can't wait to see where you take this story next! thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
quote:
I do not, however like the fact that Clark and Lana were intimate. I don't like that they were married.

Yeah, but I'd hate for Clark to marry her and for them to not be intimate. Sounds kind of hinky, if you ask me.
Why do I hang around this site so obsessively? It's because Superman and Lois became such an obsession with me when I was thirteen, and I've never gotten over it. Why don't I watch other TV shows? Why didn't I watch this TV show, Lois and Clark? It's because my obsession isn't about TV shows or actors, it's about these mythic characters, Lois Lane and Superman/Clark Kent and what I regard as the cosmic bond between them. So if Clark Kent were to marry a woman who isn't Lois, would I want him to have sex with his wife-who-isn't-Lois as a way of honoring the institution of matrimony? Heck no! I would put a jinx on his manhood if I could!

quote:
Clark is SO not the divorce sort...

You got that right. And I love that he loved her with all of his heart. Even if it's Lana and not Lois, with a guy like Clark you want them to know the happily-ever-after. You know?
I definitely don't know that. If Clark marries a woman who isn't Lois, I wish him nothing but unhappiness. Sorry!

I like stories where Clark was once married to Lana - but I prefer not to meet Lana, and I also prefer that she's died rather than them getting a divorce.
I never enjoy the unnecessary killing of females, so if Clark has married the wrong woman only to see her die so that he himself can be properly saddened and in the right mood to be comforted by Lois Lane, then I think that the death of his first wife was too high a price to pay for that.

As far as Clark knows Lois is an underage student. In my mind as an adult and a teacher any "love' relationship between them is crossing the line.

Yet we know from canon that Clark falls hard for Lois Lane.
I always, always want Lois and Clark to get together romantically, which is why I'm not too comfortable with them having a teacher/student relationship.

Well! Sorry, Laura. It's just that I feel so extremely strongly that Lois and Clark should be together that I have enormous problems with stories where that is not possible. And while the setup of your story is fascinating, I don't find it altogether promising. The way I see it, you will have to rein in and put a stop to the love affair that I always want to see developing between Lois and Clark, because in this case a love affair will be very inappropriate. And the "Don't worry, nothing will happen" reassurance is not what makes an LnC fic a "must-read" to me.

Okay, but I think you have written a very interesting Lois. It's such fun to see her trying to blend in among the hich school students. Ack, that poor Dana girl, all moony-eyed over the power of Jill and the Rosettes. Dana wouldn't mind going through one of their initiation rites just to become one of the Rosettes, even though a girl died trying to join that select gang. Oh, gaaaah. That poor silly girl. Lois has her work cut out for her. I wonder if she will undergo the initation rite herself, or if she will have to save the life of poor Dana as she risks everything to get in?

And of course, in spite of the limited options here, I'm looking forward to seeing what the meeting between Lois and Clark will produce.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Presumably nothing will happen between them until after he finds out she's not a teenager and no longer has to feel guilty for being a perv.

Ann, you remind me of me when Buffy and Angel split and she moved on to other men. My god that drove me insane! mad I was seriously obsessed with those two. How dare she get over it when I wasn't! Whoever came up with that should have been hung, drawn and quartered. (I'm over it now. Yes really!)

Now, while we all know LnC belong together, it adds a new dimension to the boards when people have a different take on things. Why not let Clark be inimate with someone else before he met Lois. I find the very patient man idea to be overrated. Besides, for me anyway, these stories aren't gospel - if I don't like what someone does with these characters I just dismiss it.

As for putting a jinx on his manhood!! Haha! Sounds like a fanfic idea to me! goofy How about it?

So why didn't I have any cute teachers in high school to moon over? Oh yeah, I went to a girls' school and we only had one male teacher. And he had fair hair. Nuff said.

Btw Laura, I'm enjoying this very much.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I'm really enjoying this! As for the premise of the sudden cardiac arrest I know it does happen it's been documented that some elite athletes have passed away from a sudden cardiac arrest. I myself had a classmate from high school pass away from a cardiac arrest about 4 or 5 years ago. I remember being really surprised because at the time all of us were about 19 or 20 years old.

Keep it coming I'm betting that Clark is going to select Lois for that competition.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This is so great! I'm enjoying every bit of it. I love the premise of this story, and I'm looking forward to the moment when Clark and Lois meet and fall in love. Keep it coming!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi! Okay onto some real feedback this time...

Sheila--

I do not, however like the fact that Clark and Lana were intimate. I don't like that they were married. But that's all beside the point.
Heck, I don't either. :p I don't know if anyone will believe me but I didn't plan for him to have been married. I was sitting there merrily writing along when all of a sudden I read back what I wrote and was like "WHAT?" It really just wrote itself. But thanks for starting the feedback thread for me. smile

Princessanna-- Have fun on your holiday! I hope you have a wonderful time. Thanks for the feedback.

Ahh, teenage girls mooning over cute teachers - something every high school has.
For sure. smile

Elisabeth--
(You are so mean for putting Clark in a hands-off role in her life.)
laugh I thought it would be interesting.

Even if it's Lana and not Lois, with a guy like Clark you want them to know the happily-ever-after. You know?
Definitely.

Anyway, I'm glad I could oblige you with the second part so soon after you read the first one. Thanks for taking the time to write this out!

symbolicangel--

You couldn’t resist, could you?
Heck no.

Hehe...Just wait, Lois—you’ll be moony eyed right along with them.
Lol! You know this is nearly word for word what Missy said when she read this part too.

See, you just can’t help but feel bad for the guy.
He's also got a really great body. wink

Patrick--See above. Which you already have.

Terry-- Thanks for coming to the defense of my story. smile That response was wonderful.

Groobie-- Glad to see you're interested! Thanks for reviewing.

Ann-- Thanks for reading this chapter. I hope you stay and read the rest! I knew this story would going to bring up some touchy subjects but I wanted a challenge and a change from the light hearted fluff I usually write. I've mapped out most of the story so far and I don't think people will be disappointed. This whole teacher/student thing is a pretty thin line, but I do believe in happy endings. Anyway, whether you stick with me or not, I appreciate your feedback on the first two chapters.

gr8shadesofelvis--

Presumably nothing will happen between them until after he finds out she's not a teenager and no longer has to feel guilty for being a perv.
Guiltridden!Clark. Mmmmm.

So why didn't I have any cute teachers in high school to moon over? Oh yeah, I went to a girls' school and we only had one male teacher. And he had fair hair. Nuff said
I'm sorry! My actual crush on my teacher occured in the 8th grade... He was my algebra teacher and my best friend and I fell for him over our algebra 1 worksheets. *sigh* Unfortunately he was married and had pictures of his wife everywhere across the classroom. We were heartbroken. smile

Crazybabe-- Glad you like it so far! Actually bakasi just PMed me and sent me a different illness that fits her symptoms much better. I might go back and rechange it, but besides all that,

Keep it coming I'm betting that Clark is going to select Lois for that competition.
We'll just have to see! laugh

Bakasi--

I'm looking forward to the moment when Clark and Lois meet and fall in love.
Yay! Thank you. And thanks for messaging me about that illness. I think that would be much better. smile

So everyone, thanks again for the feedback. If you enjoyed this chapter then I hope you stay tuned for the rest, and if you didn't then that's okay too. smile I hope to have chapter 3 posted sometime next week before Thursday.

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
YAY! You posted!!!

Interesting to see all the concerns about Clark's morality!!

Gentle readers, don't fret! This will be done in the most delicate manner possible. Clark will be Clark and Lois is the same character we know and love!

This is going to be a wonderful ride and I'm privileged to contribute a small input to this story.

Happy reading and hang on to your pants!!!!

Missy

Top Banana
Top Banana
what Ann said.

Also, it's clear that Lois Lane, in this story, won't be the great love of this "Clark's" life, given the description of his relationship with Lana. (although it's clear that some of the posters above are not looking for a story about "that one great love" as HG put it. smile )

It's not as simple as the "patient man" issue - I can see a young Clark Kent having sex with someone whom he cares for before he met Lois. But that's a different premise than what we have here. What will happen here is "Clark" will just move on to a woman he's attracted to, next on the list so to speak. But that scenario trivialises Lois Lane.

However, if you don't care about Lois's importance all that much I don't suppose it matters.

Anyway, I hope this Lois Lane won't settle for being that number two - she deserves better. But, since you've changed Clark's emotional heart in this story, maybe that's where you're going with Lois, too? She will find that someone else other than Clark Kent is that "one great love" .

I guess you can tell I'm a romantic smile I know in RL, people settle, compromise, move on, or whatever term you want to use. That can be satisfying and provide contentment, of course. But it's not the stuff of great, mythic love stories. More like "Desperate Housewives". smile Unless treated with a bit of comedy or a rip-roaring A plot, it's tedious. smile

The comments on the 'teacher-student' sexual involvement issue are interesting, too. It's not just a physical issue, but also one of attitude - when a teacher thinks of his or her students in a sexual way, at some psychological level, a betrayal of what a teacher is has happened. Sort of like a doctor- patient relationship. At any rate, I'd question whether that person should be in the classroom. (or in the examining room)

There have been too many cases of teachers using their students sexually in the past. Here in Ontario, that's now illegal. Not sure what American law on this is. But I did notice that the Catholic Church has recently reached a settlement with those whom its priests sexually abused, so I suspect your laws are similar.

This is a tricky topic - attitudes have changed over the years. So how to write this so that this "Clark" doesn't appear to be someone who sees the " sexual body" and not the "student and person" he has a responsibility for will be challenging. It doesn't matter what Lois's actual age is because he does not have that information.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just read the first two parts...

You have Mr. Kent for English Lit!
Well, that's all she has him for right now, but give it a few months wink

Laura, you're really into Clark-torture here -- not only do you make him a grieving widower, now you're going to make him think he's in love with a student! He's gonna hate himself. Although the grieving part will probably put a strong damper on the love-at-first-sight part. Which, in the circumstances, is probably a good thing.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the Scarlet Letter :rolleyes: In high school, I had to read that thing two years in a row...

I don't have much time to read these days, so I can't promise feedback on every post, but I'll be reading along when I can!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just wanted to add one more point - some posters said that they liked that "Clark" wasn't a divorced man. respectfully, I'm going to disagree - having "Clark" as a divorced man would have made it still possible for me to see him as that "romantic" hero. smile

He was clearly young - got the hots for Lana as a teen, labelled lust as love, and thought that sex and marriage is how it goes. But the marriage just didn't work - not soulmates, etc. And so they call it quits. Both of them a little wiser.

That way no woman needs to die to enhance the suffering of the male character.

c.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks, Carol. You put that perfectly.

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard