Next Thread
Print Thread
#44391 07/12/07 02:45 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow...another awesome part!

I wish that America's couple would stop playing tag and get their act together.

Lois went breathless at his touch, and the intensity in his expression made her heart flutter in anticipation. She wanted to believe that they had a chance at being together, and his words gave her hope. “Clark…” She trailed off as he leaned closer. Her fluttering heart went into overdrive at the thought that he was about to kiss her.

<Kiss me, Clark. Please kiss me,> she silently pleaded. She would have given anything to feel his lips on hers at that moment.

He suddenly stepped back, a look of apology in his eyes. “I-I didn’t mean to…”

“No, Clark. Don’t be sorry. In fact, there’s something I need to tell you,” Lois said, gathering her courage. She loved him. She loved him for all the times he’d stood by her, even when she didn’t deserve it. She loved him for the way he teased her, although she’d never admit it to him. She loved him for the way that he loved her. Despite the horrible way she’d treated him in the past, he’d never once given up on her. If she could only make him see how much he meant to her—how much she loved him.
Lois wants Clark so bad and he wants her. Finally, she's going to come clean with her feelings.

“Clark, I wanted to tell you something, but I’m not sure you’re ready to hear it, or believe it, yet,” Lois hedged, unsure if she should tell him how she felt about him. After swooning over Superman while ignoring him as Clark for a year, she wouldn’t blame him if he couldn’t believe that she loved him—the man—and not Superman, with the extraordinary powers.

“Lois, you can tell me anything,” Clark said gently.

And she knew that she could. That was one thing that was so special about Clark. She could tell him her deepest secrets, dreams, and fears, and he would never judge her, or breathe a word to anyone. He could be trusted, which was an odd thought if she took into consideration his daily lies and deceptions. Lois gave herself a mental shake, reining in her runaway thoughts.

“I know that I can tell you anything, Clark. But this…I’m scared to say the words. I’m scared of what your reaction will be.”

“That’s how I felt every time I thought of telling you about Superman. But I wish that I’d told you anyway, I wish that you hadn’t found out the way you had,” he told her, and she could clearly hear the remorse in his voice—see it in his eyes.

She stepped closer to him, needing to feel his body near hers, wishing that she wasn’t so afraid to touch him. He hadn’t trusted in her—in them—enough to tell her that he was Superman. It was something that he clearly regretted. She didn’t want to make the same mistake. She didn’t want anymore secrets between them. Lois drew in a deep breath before reaching her hand out hesitantly. His dark eyes drifted shut the moment her palm rested against his cheek. The sound of his sigh melted her insides. She stepped even closer, unable to stop herself.

“Lois…” he said breathlessly, his eyes opening to find hers again.

“Clark…I’m in love with you.” Lois let out a breath, relieved to have gotten the words out. “That’s what I wanted to tell you. I know that you might not be ready to hear it, and I’m sure that it seems sudden, but it’s really not. It’s something that I’ve been ignoring for a while now, because *I* was afraid.”

He sighed before his eyes left hers. Her heart dropped as she realized that he was looking away in avoidance. “Lois…you’re right, I don’t think I am ready to hear that, even though it’s something I’ve dreamed of hearing you say for months now. But so much has happened, and I think you need time to catch up with it all.”
So, Lois finally tells Clark how she feels after he encouraged her to spill it and then he rejects her. That made me so angry. Clark had to have a clue as to what she was going to say. At this point I think I would ask him to leave regardless of the danger that is coming. I know that Lois was wrong in the past but two wrongs don't make it right!

The thing is that Clark loves Lois or he wouldn't have come flying over at wharp speed. Just come clean, Clark.

And the really sick thing about it all is that Lex Luthor is kistening to the whole scenario play out. Why didn't Clark's super hearing pick up on the bug? And surely he was recorded leaving his apartment, so he just confirmed to the world that he is indeed Superman.

Lois fought back tears, her heart squeezing painfully at his rejection. This seemed to be their dance, the dance of rejection. First she’d rejected him as Clark, then he’d rejected her as Superman, and now he was doing it as Clark. And it was this latest rejection—the one as Clark—that hurt the most.

Clark reached out to brush a tear away that Lois was startled to realize was only one of many that were running down her cheeks. “Don’t cry, Lois. I can’t stand to see you cry,” he said softly.

She turned her back to him, unable to let him see her cry. She should have known better than to tell him the truth. She knew that after everything she’d said and done, there was no possible way that he could forgive her—that he could still love her.
The Lois fort is now on lockdown. No more confessions of love from her...

Clark you just blew your last chance!
“I’m not saying that I won’t ever believe you, Lois. I’m just saying…let’s take this slow. Everything that’s happened, it’s still too soon. I can’t let myself start to hope again. Not yet,” he confessed.
I feel you Clark...I understand...really, I do but isn't Lois what you've wanted...forever?

Lex paused in his musings as an idea occurred to him. He’d bet that the same would be true for Lois as well. Maybe all wasn’t lost, after all. Maybe he could use her love for Clark Kent to his advantage. Lex smiled, his eyes bright with evil brilliance. Going back into his office, he quickly placed a call to his personal assistant.

“Mrs. Cox, contact Lois Lane and tell her that I’d like to have a word with her about Superman.”

“I’ll get on it right away, Lex. Is there anything else?” Mrs. Cox asked.

“Yes. Tell her that I have information about kryptonite.”
What a heartless bastard...Lex Luthor!

Hurry back with the next chapter. I have thoroughly enjoyed this story!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#44392 07/12/07 03:57 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Wow. This is really shaping up to be an amazing story! I love how ruthless you've made Lex Luthor.

Lois and Clark definitely need to get their acts together. You can only play the wounded victim for so long, Clark. :p I really hope he figures out that Lois REALLY does love him and soon! This dancing back and forth is killing me.

Ugh. I can't believe Clark hasn't figured out that Lois' purse has been bugged. Can't he normally hear those things?? Lex Luthor is gaining far too much information from that bug. Did he hear her confession of love, too?

And how are they going to convince the rest of the world that Clark Kent and Superman are two different people?

I clearly have too many questions, but that just means you're doing a great job with this! laugh

#44393 07/12/07 06:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So far so good, but I suppose we have a lot of angst first before we get t the mushy stuff...sigh. Oh well I'll wait. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#44394 07/12/07 06:46 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Tell me, Mr. Kent, how fast *can* you fly?”

Cold, icy terror ran through Clark’s veins at the mystery caller’s words. “Who is this? What do you want?”

“I want what every red-blooded male wants. I want a woman. And you know what? I think Ms. Lane will do just fine.”
EEE! Somebody knows how to press Clark's buttons.

Lex Luthor made her nervous.
That's an understatement Lois.

Maybe all wasn’t lost, after all. Maybe he could use her love for Clark Kent to his advantage.
Noo!!!! That's kind of a nice switch though, from people using Lois to get to Clark. Not that I want Clark strung up and tortured!

Eee! You are evil. I can't wait until next Monday for this! *Sigh* Wonderful job. smile

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#44395 07/12/07 07:13 PM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
This is an excellent story, but I do think you've given Lex Luthor too much power here in the set up, and correspondingly made Clark far too heedless & weak. I actually think he probably would have sensed the camera in the opening chapter -- however since the premise of your story depends on him being 'exposed' I can understand your making that creative choice. Even more significant, though, is his failure to detect the listening device. I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters in this thread who've said that Clark *should* have been able to hear the bug in Lois's purse. Frankly, if it was on and emitting a signal he would have heard it and that he didn't is very problematic, in my humble opinion.

I do like the emotional dynamic you have created between Lois and Clark, engaged in a courtship dance that keeps missing its steps. It's quite believable that he'd have trouble trusting her confession of love now, just as it is believable that she'd be very hurt by yet another rejection from him. They do seem to be unintentionally punishing each other quite a bit. Despite the emotional pain, though, I love their willingness to stand by each other no matter what. Bravo for this depiction of their budding relationship and keep up the good work.

#44396 07/13/07 08:59 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Hello, everyone!

Why didn't Clark's super hearing pick up on the bug?
I can't believe Clark hasn't figured out that Lois' purse has been bugged. Can't he normally hear those things??
I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters in this thread who've said that Clark *should* have been able to hear the bug in Lois's purse.
We seem to have a theme here. smile

I feel that an explanation is due here:

You guys are asking a very good question. He *should* have heard the bug. But for whatever reason, Clark failed to notice or see surveillance devices on three different occasions that I can recall in the series. The first was in HoL when he got into the car Lois had borrowed from Lex, and Lex overheard their conversation, the second was in Lucky Leon, when Clark only discovered the camera in the Desk Friend after it broke open, and the third was in The Dad Who Came in from the Cold, when the NIA bugged both Lois and Clark's apartments. Clark came home and went to sleep, only discovering the bugs when Jimmy woke him up and he picked up the phone to call Lois.

So, for the sake of plot advancement, I chose to go along with canon and assume that Clark can't (or just doesn't, for whatever reason) hear or discover the bug.

*Explanation over* smile

Sheila wrote:
So, Lois finally tells Clark how she feels after he encouraged her to spill it and then he rejects her. That made me so angry.
I feel you Clark...I understand...really, I do but isn't Lois what you've wanted...forever?
I'm sorry that Clark made you so angry, he's being a big lunkhead, isn't he? Not to worry, though, he'll get over it soon. I mean, we hope he'll get over it soon. Wouldn't want to give too much away now, would I? evil <Insert evil giggle here>

Thanks for the fdk, Sheila! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the story.

ignoredsins wrote:
Wow. This is really shaping up to be an amazing story! I love how ruthless you've made Lex Luthor.
I'm thrilled beyond words at this. Ruthless is a very good word to describe him. He's a very fun villain to write. Thanks for the fdk, ignoredsins!

Laurach wrote:
So far so good, but I suppose we have a lot of angst first before we get t the mushy stuff...sigh.
I guess I should have warned you all at the beginning that this story was heavy in angst. Thanks for hanging in there, we'll get to the mushy stuff...eventually. Thanks for the fdk, Laurach!

Laura S wrote:
Noo!!!! That's kind of a nice switch though, from people using Lois to get to Clark. Not that I want Clark strung up and tortured!
Uh oh! Warning: Torture is coming! evil

Eee! You are evil.
I take that as the highest form of a compliment! laugh Thanks for the fdk, Laura S!

betty wrote:
I do like the emotional dynamic you have created between Lois and Clark, engaged in a courtship dance that keeps missing its steps.
Hopefully they'll get some dancing lessons soon! laugh Thanks for the fdk, betty.

I'm so happy that you guys are enjoying the story. Unfortunately, I may have to slow down the posting schedule. Either that, or kick my muse in the butt so she'll get moving! Maybe I could steal a pointy stick from one of those pointy-stick men and prod her with it!
<Me runs around after the little guy> wildguy

Thanks again for the fdk! I'll have the next part posted on Monday. After that, though, I might start slowing down in posting.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard