Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44333 07/10/07 05:52 AM
Tahu Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
another great chapter. Clark will suffer from his decision and still he is the lunkhead we all love.

I hope he'll come to senses before the press conference will take place and I hope Lois will kick his butt for his being a lunkhead and not talking sooner about his ideas.

I understand his wish for having a normal live completly but this is not the right way. He can't always deny the screams and everything. It is against his true nature of always wanting to help.

Great story Caroline. smile1

#44334 07/10/07 07:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I wonder if Lois will recognize Superman's writing style as Clarks. Maybe she can bat him on the head with a kryptonite bat and stop his madness. Laura
PS the romance was great!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#44335 07/10/07 12:39 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
An interesting concept and so far, it's been well presented.

You've made Clark's decisions follow a fairly logical pattern and we are able (barely) to accept his reasoning.

What we do have to have though is more on why Clark isn't telling Lois that he is Superman. We need to be reminded and have his reasons strengthened in our minds. It's inevitable that since he isn't becoming a normal mortal man that he'll give himself away sometime while they are together. Also, since he wants to spend his life with her we have to know how he plans to keep her from ever knowing, and why he feels he needs to do that. I know that Clark might think that because there will be no more Superman, that Lois doesn't need to know that the absent Superman was him.

He has to realize that won't work. As I said, he has to know that Lois will find out who he was someday and his deception will ruin anything that they have built to that point.

Give us some more of his reasoning behind his rationale for not telling her. Does he have a timetable in mind? He will tell her, but just not now? And if not now, why is he waiting?

I'm not saying that Clark has to come clean with Lois, it is your story after all. But you do need to give us a peak inside Clark's mind and his thinking as to 'why' it's for the best that Lois not be told that Clark and Superman are the same person.

Tank (who isn't a fan of artificially extended angst and like many wish to see some 'reasoning' behind the actions that cause the angst to make it work)

#44336 07/10/07 03:17 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm just over Clark! He doesn't ever plan to tell Lois!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#44337 07/11/07 04:49 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
How interesting, Caroline. I'm the one who keeps complaining about Clark's lunkheadedness and about his unfairness and even cruelty to Lois when he keeps deceiving her about his double identity. This time around, however, I seem to be a lot less angry at him, whereas the four other FoLCs who have commented before me seem to be quite upset at Clark:

Tahu:
I hope he'll come to senses before the press conference will take place and I hope Lois will kick his butt for his being a lunkhead and not talking sooner about his ideas.
Laurach:
I wonder if Lois will recognize Superman's writing style as Clarks. Maybe she can bat him on the head with a kryptonite bat and stop his madness.
Tank:
What we do have to have though is more on why Clark isn't telling Lois that he is Superman. We need to be reminded and have his reasons strengthened in our minds. It's inevitable that since he isn't becoming a normal mortal man that he'll give himself away sometime while they are together. Also, since he wants to spend his life with her we have to know how he plans to keep her from ever knowing, and why he feels he needs to do that. I know that Clark might think that because there will be no more Superman, that Lois doesn't need to know that the absent Superman was him.
Sheila:
I'm just over Clark! He doesn't ever plan to tell Lois!
So a lot of people seem to disapprove of Clark more than they usually do. I myself think that Caroline is merely taking a few things about Clark Kent/Kal El to their logical conclusion and forcing us, and even more importantly, him, to really think about them.

Kal El is an orphan from Krypton who was adopted by Jonathan and Martha Ken as well as by the entire planet Earth. His adoptive parents gave him an Earth name, and so Kal El became Clark Kent. But Clark Kent, while looking so deceptively, perfectly human, is really in his bones and his flesh an alien. Like other adopted children, and like other children who are different one way or another, Clark has discovered his differences little by little. Discovering that you are different and that there seems to be no help for it is a cruel, unmerciful thing, perfect at inducing angst and anxiety in adolescents.

Let me say a little something about myself here. As a child, I realized with horror that I did not fit in either among my relatives, the fervent Pentecostalists, or among the people that my parents wanted me to like, the smug Swedish Missionary Society people. I hated going to church and I always kept squirming throughout the services, just waiting for the axe to fall, as it were. I felt that when I was in church, all the perfect people around me must sense that I was different. I just waited for the pastor or someone else in church to suddenly stare at me, point an accusing finger at me, and proclaim to the whole congregation: "There is a stranger among us! There she is! She is not one of us!"

And somehow I think that something like this is what Clark keeps fearing, too. He fears that someone will blow his cover, expose him to the world, and accuse him of being irreconcilably different from everyone else.

And Clark is a lot more different than I ever was, and he has to be scared of exposure all the time. Me, I was scared for an hour and a half every Sunday, but Clark can never relax, never feel that the danger of horrible exposure is over. And while I could hope to find other people more like me somewhere else (and I couldn't even be sure I could never find anyone among the Pentecostalists or Swedish Missionary Society people), Clark can never reasonably hope to find other Kryptonians on Earth. Wherever he goes, he has to fear that sooner or later, someone will call his bluff and prove to the world that Clark Kent is an alien to this world.

Then there is his role as Superman. Clark has taken it upon himself to altruistically help other people, people who are not like him, people who are true sons and daughters of the Earth. Every time Clark puts on his heroic spandex and flies off to help other people, he increases the risk that the person he himself tries to be, Clark Kent, will be exposed as not human. Clark is not paid for constantly rendering services to humankind, and indeed he risks expulsion from humankind for his troubles.

Even though Clark is not human, he thinks and feels just like a human. And we humans are good at telling ourselves that there is a miracle cure somewhere, something that will take care of all our troubles. A book which is popular among the students at the school where I work is about a teenaged girl, whose slightly alcoholic and unemployed single mother keeps spending her little family's dwindling resources on things she has seen on TV Shop. Surely that magical vacuum cleaner from TV Shop will clear away all the dust and detritus from her apartment and make her strong and clean and optimistic and suddenly able to deal with all the vexations and annoyances of life and lay bare a yellow brick road underneath all the trash, which will lead her to the land of happiness!

Clark, too, has figured out who will be his saviour. Not TV Shop, but Lois Lane. If he can only make her love him, that is, Clark Kent, instead of Superman, then he can forget about being born Kal El and having powers and abilities that set him apart from other people and turn him into a freak and a stranger to this world. If he can make Lois Lane believe in Clark Kent, and prefer him over Superman, then he can make the rest of the world believe in his make-believe human persona, too. And then he can be - not an alien. And then he can fit in.

I think Clark is being anything but reasonable here. But at the same time, he is being so, so human precisely because he isn't human. Can't we sympathize with his fears of being exposed and rejected? And Clark has more to hide than most of us. And he is also being more altruistic than most of us.

Clark's attempt to give up being Superman is doomed to fail. This time, when he chose to make out with Lois instead of flying off to do heroics as Superman, no one was killed or even injured. But what if someone really had been killed? That person's death would have hung like a spectre between Lois and Clark. I can see Clark subconsciously blaming Lois for making him abandon and forsake those who need his superhuman services.

I'm convinced of one thing myself: we do the most crazy things because we believe that we need to do them in order to fit in. And we are prepared to make the most unreasonable sacrifices to win the approval or love of others. Sometimes, like this time, we don't even ask the other person if she or he wants us to sacrifice the things we are giving up for their sake.

Another thing strikes me too, as I read this. In the LnC universe, Superman routinely shows up at emergencies and provide help, and he never asks for help or rewards. And pretty soon, people just take him for granted. If he really stops being Superman, people will blame him not because he is not doing the job he has been hired or paid to do, but because he will no longer be fulfilling other people's expectations!

Well, Caroline, I love how your story demonstrates how Clark is vulnerable and fragile and brave and deliriously happy and caring and selfish, and how he is so utterly human in his alienness. He actually gets my goat a lot less here than he usually does. The reason for that is that in other stories he doesn't let his confusion about his own self get out of hand, and so he can pretend that he is absolutely, perfectly normal, and so he doesn't have to think about and come to terms with who he really is. I love that he is going to have to ask himself a few hard questions in your story, and he is going to have to find a way to reconcile Clark Kent with Kal El, and a way to reconcile Clark Kent and Lois Lane with Superman. And he is going to have to look at Lois, too, and see all the things that she will have to reconcile to be with him, too. Because a relationship between two people is never just about one person's needs. And learning to understand and honor the needs of the one you love in an intimate relationship may be every bit as hard as being Superman to the world - which does not mean that Superman should hang up his cape in order to give his attentions to his loved one.

This is a wonderful story, Caroline.

Ann

#44338 07/11/07 10:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting.

Well, I think Clark is being a putz, but if god-willing (or forbid?) we make it to Friday at 9am without incident, I'm glad he told Lois instead of informing her just like everyone else at the press conference. One big RAFO!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#44339 07/16/07 11:44 PM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
I'd hoped to update "Foundations" today, but I think I'm going to hold off until I've written a little further along. In the meantime, thanks so much to those of you who have commented smile .

Tank:

It's inevitable that since he isn't becoming a normal mortal man that he'll give himself away sometime while they are together. Also, since he wants to spend his life with her we have to know how he plans to keep her from ever knowing, and why he feels he needs to do that. I know that Clark might think that because there will be no more Superman, that Lois doesn't need to know that the absent Superman was him.
I agree that it would be impossible for Clark to have a life with Lois without her ever finding out, and I haven't meant to suggest that that's his intention. When Constance Hunter asks Clark if Lois knows, he says that she doesn't, "but she will one day." And in Part 4, he thinks:

Later. When things between them were more certain. When the roots went deeper, were stronger, then he could tell her. When they’d become so secure in their love for one another that living without it was unthinkable. That was when he would tell her. And it would be awful – he didn’t deceive himself about that – but they would get through it, and then there would be no more lies, no more secrets.
So he does intend to tell her, but he doesn't have an exact timetable for it, any more than he did in the series. He seems to think that one day the timing will just be "right" and that he'll know it when it is. But right now what he knows is that she would never let him give up Superman for her, so he thinks it will be better to tell her after Superman is gone and there's no taking it back.

I hope that makes sense, or that it will by the end of the story. And if it doesn't - if his motivations still seem unclear or unreasonable - I hope you'll let me know so that I can take another look at them. Those kinds of comments are very helpful when I'm doing final revisions for the archive smile .

Ann:

I think Clark is being anything but reasonable here. But at the same time, he is being so, so human precisely because he isn't human. Can't we sympathize with his fears of being exposed and rejected? And Clark has more to hide than most of us. And he is also being more altruistic than most of us.
Yes, this is how I see this Clark. I don't defend his reasoning as sound, but he's not in a very reasonable place right now. I think (hope!) a case can be made that by this point in the series, Clark had been through enough as both Clark and Superman to just really want his life to be simpler, however unrealistic that desire. And when Lois tells him in WWW that she can't love Superman because "you live above us," it's a little like the moment in the Pilot when Jonathan tells Clark that they don't know if it's possible for him to have a family and a normal life. I think those well-intentioned words could be crushing to a guy like Clark, who seems to want those things very much.

Thanks for hanging with me on this one! The next part is written, but I'd like to get a little farther ahead before I post it, so it will probably be around this time next week before I update. (Of course, my former fandom will be claiming me for much of the weekend, but as soon as I crawl out of Book 7, I'll be back to work on "Foundations" wink )

Best,

Caroline

#44340 07/17/07 05:20 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Caroline,

I want so much to give you thoughtful FDK. I've sat here over my lunch break and read this wonderful chapter and thought, surely I have something more intelligent to say than, 'Wow, great chapter'! But it seems that I don't. I must leave Ann and the others to draw out the wonderful, expressive, interesting things about it, while I simply say thank you and tell you (remind you) that I enjoy every word you write.

Lisa

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#44341 07/30/07 12:14 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Argh I had a response with quotes and everything all typed up and then my connection fizzled. Bah! Anyway I just wanted to say how blown away I am at your complex and many layered characterization of Clark. Love how we see his vulnerability very step of the way. I love how he's at a loss when Lois clearly expects another answer from him. How he's even a bit angry even though it changes quickly to worry when he tries to fix the situation smile .

I feel that part of the reason I can't be angry at Clark for his choice it's because it's a sacrifice. Even with Lois he's worried about being needed. Still, in the end when he goes to check on the fire, the point of this being a _self-imposed_ obligation gets brought home. It makes it both hard if he goes and endangers this relationship that has him head over heels and if he doesn't and feels like he should have even though no one outright _expects_ him to.

It's a no win situation and that comes across quite clearly. I just want to highlight one parragraph that left me gasping for it's brilliance:

Suddenly Clark felt weary. He was not needed here, and maybe he never had been. All around him, the emergency workers moved purposefully, doing their jobs and sparing him the occasional curious glance, but no one seemed to expect him to do anything. No one seemed to blame him for the fire, or for not being there while it was raging. It wasn’t what he’d expected at all, and he should have been relieved, but instead he felt tired and a little let down.
drool Wow. I'm kind of glad I'm always late, because this means there's always more to read. Yum.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#44342 08/19/07 06:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Caroline!

“Lo-is,” he complained, because he knew it was expected of him, but the words ‘South Side’ had struck him like a blow to the gut. He extended his hearing, but the sirens were silent now. What had he missed? What had been happening in his city while he had hidden himself away in Lois’s kisses? Were there people out there, hurt and confused, wondering why Superman hadn’t come?
Yep, it's gonna start eating away at him... <sigh> The dolt.

He looked down at her, his eyes twinkling. “Is this the part where you slam the door in my face? Because I was kind of hoping you wouldn’t want to end all our dates that way.”

She laughed. “So how were you hoping to end them?”

“Like this,” he said, cupping her face in his hands and bending to caress her lips with a kiss that was more tender than passionate.

“I like that way,” she murmured.

“Me, too,” he agreed.
LOL and then awwwwww.... <g>

What would you say if you knew? Clark thought, and for a crazy moment, he wanted to confess, to tell this total stranger that he hadn’t been saving someone somewhere else, hadn’t been off fighting for truth and justice. He’d just been wrapped around his girlfriend in a candlelit apartment on the other side of town – touching her, learning the things that pleased her – while a school burned to the ground.
Yep... eating away at him...

You had your death, your taxes, and your Lois Lane championing Superman.
Ha ha ha! I LOVE that line. <g>

Sometime in the future, he was sure he would pay dearly for this moment of weakness.
Oh dear....

“I will be.” He said it with certainty and then added, “I’ll see you Friday. We’ll say our goodbyes then, all right?”

“Friday,” she echoed softly, as he slipped through her billowing curtains and out into the night.
Awwwwww.... <sniffles> She's gonna kill him - LOLS.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard