Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for reading and commenting, everyone.

Regards,

Rac

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved this part. It was very emotional and beautifully written. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
As Laura already said, this part is very nice.

Now where's the readjustment angst? This third portion of the trilogy is far too short to have everything just fall into place! It wouldn't be consistent with all that you've had them go through so far, not to mention too pat and way too easy.

So, I have to believe that bad things are going to happen between them, and soon. Not because I want them to happen, but because that's what would be normal and customary. Like when Lois left for a patrol and Clark told her to "Be careful," like she hadn't been Ultra Woman for the last four years. Right now she thinks it's sweet, but if he hovers around her and worries about her a lot he's going to exasperate her.

And before long he'll have to tell her some of what he went through on New Krypton, and I can't wait for him to tell Lois that Talan was such a good friend and that she helped him get past some of the hardest times he faced out there and here comes the green-eyed monster. "Just how 'good' a friend was she, Clark? And just how did she 'help' you get past those bad times?"

Yeah, the fun's still coming. And I meant it when I said that this part was nice. It is. But it isn't a resolution.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
That was soo beautiful! mecry
I feel so bad for both of them. Even though he's back now, I would imagine it's still hard not to be bitter and sad about all the time that was lost. Four years is an incredibly long time. Wonderful part.
Even though I'm sensing some painful things to come for them ( rehasing all the horrible things that have happened) it is so nice to see both of them just have a few moments of peace, just knowing that they are together again and that the long wait is over. Thank you for updating so soon. smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is a very beautiful part, Rac. These are my three favorite quotes:

Clark still couldn't believe it. The little boy he'd held in his arms, the beautiful, brown haired, wide eyed child was his son. His flesh and blood. His only biological relative. He'd gone to New Krypton in part to find some ties, something on a visceral level that told him he belonged, that he was with people like himself. And the irony, of course, was that he belonged on Earth, not on New Krypton. He'd left behind not just everything and everyone he'd ever loved, he'd left behind his only biological tie in the universe.
Yes, how ironic that Clark went to Krypton to find some biological ties, only to leave his only biological tie behind on the Earth. Of course, your Clark didn't go to Krypton primarily to find his own kin, but primarily to help. I'm so strongly reminded of two Superman movies, Superman II and Superman returns, where Clark makes love to Lois, erases her memory of it, and probably only a month or so afterwards flies away to Krypton. And not because anyone has asked him to do so, but because he is just so curious about his "birth planet" and because he wants to look for "his own kind". It apparently never occurred to him to stay around and make sure that Lois was physically and mentally all right after what he had subjected her to, so that there were no long-term effects from their lovemaking and from the mindwipe she had undergone. Clark was so, so much more selfish and thoughtless in the movies than he ever was in your story, but one thing is the same: Clark goes to Krypton to look for people like himself, only to leave the only person like himself behind on the Earth.

"You're strong. You always have been. And in order to love you, I had to learn to be strong, too. Because I always knew that you were never really going to belong to me. I was always going to have to share you with the world and live with knowing that the world might one day take you away from me." Every fiber of his being yelled at him to deny it. To tell her it wasn't true. But hadn't he already proved that it was? He'd left her for four years and even though he'd come back, he could very well have died on New Krypton and he'd known that from the start.
This is so true. Lois and Clark's love is so strong, but it faces so many obstacles. Lois and Clark are pulled in different directions, and they really shouldn't be together at all. They were born light-years apart. They are from different planets. Destiny decrees that they should do different things, leading different licves, away from each other. Their love is strong enough to draw them together anyway. But they can never hope to be able to live only for each other, turning their backs on their respective worlds.

"I'm sure of two things. That you and I love each other more than any two people have ever loved each other before. And the world is better for it."
This is exactly how I want to think of Lois and Clark myself. I want their love to be stronger and more enduring and more far-reaching than any love between two people on the Earth before. And I want their love to be a force for good that lights up the world around them. Thank you for putting it so beautifully, Rac.

Otherwise, this part was, too me, slightly less emotional than the previous one, and that is how it must be, too. The previous chapter was like a shock of joy, and you can keep your central nervous system shocked for only so long. Afterwards you have to step back, take a deep breath, and contemplate.

The most emotional aspect of this part was Clark reacting to having a son, and it was beautifully done. I also loved how Clark began to realize what Lois's life had been like while he was gone, and what kind of mother and what kind of columnist and what kind of heroine she had become.

Now Lois needs to understand what happened to Clark on New Krypton. All in all, his ordeal was definitely harder than hers. Unlike her, he had to deal with horrible physical pain, which must have been even more horrible considering the fact that he had been physically invulnerable for so long.

So Clark needs to tell Lois about what happened to him on New Krypton. He is going to remain permanently scarred from his experiences, and Lois has to understand that and know why. But all in good time, Rac. Clark has really only just come back home.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
That was really beautiful and heartfelt. Like Terry L. says, however, the homecoming is always great - it's the "real life" readjustment that's hard. For one, are they both going to be Superheroes now? Will Clark get his powers back right away? I can't see him contented to watch Lois save people and he stays home and watches on the sidelines. And...will he miss New Krypton at all? And will Lois get around to asking him if he slept with anyone else on New Krypton?

There's a lot more stuff to write about....I know you're up to the challenge, RAC!

Chris

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very nice part Rac - please not 'too' much angst though please! wink

Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Rac, it's been almost two weeks! Are you going to make us beg for the next chapter?

I can't find a little begging guy, so maybe these will do. clap

Seriously, I'm ready for some more reacquaintance angst. And I really want to see what they come up with to explain Clark's reappearance to the general public. That should be a very interesting press conference.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for the long delay; it certainly wasn't my intention to make everyone wait almost a month for the next part. During the last few weeks, though, I've been traveling for work and then on vacation.

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. I know I've turned into a really evil writer when my characters can't get a few inches of breathing space without the readers wondering what terrible thing I'm going to do to them next. I have to say, I figured that Lois and Clark would probably have a few days of relative euphoria after his return. I imagine anyone in their position would be feeling so much relief that there wouldn't be room inside for much else.

Thanks for the lovely comments, Laura, I appreciate them.

Terry, thank you for the gentle nagging. And you're right - we're not even close to being done yet. These two have a long way to go to make sense of the last four years and to figure each other out. As we've said many times before - they're not the same people who got married four years ago.

Thanks for the feedback, ClarkLovesLois. You're right that it isn't all going to be easy, but what goes on for the rest of the story will be profoundly different from what came before because they are together.

Ann, thank you for your wonderful comments. The line of Lois's you quoted is one of my favorites of what I've written. I also like to think the same of these two characters. I'm not a fan of the soul mates theory, but I don't think that means that their love isn't unique and extraordinarily powerful. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the Fanfic Related board about the roles of Lois and Clark and the idea of soul mates and the relative importance of the two characters. I frankly find Clark/Superman boring without Lois Lane. I'm sure I'd find Lois annoying without Clark. They just work better and make far more sense together. In this story, I've tried to write them as titanic figures in human history. They're not really like the rest of us. I've tried to write them as those individuals of whom there might be a *few* in each generation - people with the understanding, vision, and sheer force of will to have a profound impact on the world. It's not hard to imagine that if two such people managed to get together, they could reshape the world. (So basically, I think of Lois and Clark as Eleanor and Franklin D. Roosevelt, you know, if the Roosevelts were superpowered, fantastically gorgeous, and madly in love with each other).

Straight to the sticky questions, huh, Chris? wink Of course, Clark didn't stray while he was on New Krypton, but how will his feelings about that place affect him? And what impact will Superman and Ultrawoman have on their relationship?

Hi Liz. I'll try to keep the balance. But I'm not promising that it's all puppies and Christmas from here out.

Maria, I'm so glad to see you back on the boards. Thanks for taking the time to comment. More is coming up soon!

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard