ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#43546 06/14/07 05:14 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oddly enough I am still intersted. I did sort of watch Angel for a while. It reminds me of that a bit. I still want more romance though. I know I am a hopeless romantic. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#43547 06/14/07 05:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I liked this part - Jimmy's obsession with the leather pants was funny. smile

I like how you introduced Faith too. I was never as big a fan of her as I was of Buffy, but she was a Slayer. She's important.

But is Buffy around anywhere?

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#43548 06/14/07 08:00 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Just a short comment this time, Shayne. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that the goings-on around Sunnydale would remain almost completely unknown to the general public because people would simply turn a deaf ear when someone tried to tell them about it. In my experience, there has never been a shortage of belief in the supernatural. It sounds absolutely incredible to me that people would refuse to be told about the evil of Sunnydale because they are too rational and/or scared to believe in it. And it will be a cold day in Hell (sorry about that) before the media refrains from reporting on a story like Sunnydale for fear of offending or scaring people and making them stop watching their programs or buying their papers. A story such as Sunnydale would shoot circulation through the roof!

But enough of this - if I want to read the rest of your story, I'd better accept its basic premise. And believe me, I could never stay away from a story written by you! (Or almost never - I wouldn't read a Lois deathfic, even if it was written by you.)

In this part, I liked how you showed us that Lois was beginning to be attracted by Clark. I, too, certainly like romance, but in this case it probably shouldn't be the focus of the story.

“You were attacked? By who?”

“I was coming out of the library and these two thugs grabbed me and tried to drag me down the alley.” Jimmy grinned and stared off into space.

“Jimmy?” Lois asked.

“There was this girl in leather pants…”
So funny! I love the way you wrote Jimmy here. And for now at least, Jimmy seems to be his own sunny self.

“She had a gun?” Clark asked. “A Taser maybe, pepper spray?”

“She had a stick.” Jimmy said. “I’ve never seen anybody move like that in my life. She was really fast….and she looked great in leather pants.”

“I’m sure her pants were really nice, Jimmy.” Lois said irritably. “But did you happen to get a name, or see which way the guys went?”

“One of them threw me into a fall face first, and that was all I could remember.” Jimmy hesitated. “I’m told that a girl brought me into the hospital though. Maybe they’d know who she was.”
Again, so funny! I love this dialogue!

Lois grabbed the bag and pulled out several file folders. One was thinner than the other. She opened it. Inside was the picture of an older man. It was an old daguerreotype, a photo from the eighteen hundreds.

“Richard Wilkins,” the caption said. “1898.”

She flipped to the next picture. It was a picture of the same man, but clearer. The caption said “Mayor Richard Wilkins the second, 1938.”

The third picture was from a newspaper at a ribbon cutting ceremony. It was of the same man, but the caption said “Mayor Richard Wilkins the third.” The date of the paper was 1997.

There wasn’t anything else in the folder, but what Lois had seen was enough. Three men who looked exactly the same had lived in the same town for a hundred years without ever seeming to age.
eek

“You have a name?” Lois asked.

“Why?” The woman’s reply was suspicious.

“I think Jimmy would love to be able to put a name to a pair of pants.” Lois said.

“Faith,”
Another very religious-sounding name. Interesting. Lois doesn't seem to belong to that crowd, does she, with her rather prosaic and nineteen-thirties-sounding name?

And I've been thinking a little more about Angelica Cortez. She isn't necessarily on the side of the angels, just because her name suggests that she is. Ah, but then what little the Bible tells us about the origin of the Devil suggests that he was an angel too, only of the fallen kind.

Faith smirked. “No you won’t. Not unless you want to work for the National Enquirer. Nobody ever believes this kind of sh…stuff.”
I have to admit that the kind of stuff that the National Enquirer writes is often hard to believe. Once it wrote that the King of Sweden used to play hooky from certain public ceremonies he was supposed to attend, and then a well-known Swedish TV reporter helped out by dressing up as the king and pretending to be him. And as hundreds of enthusiastic royalistic subjects gathered around the "king" and waved their flags at him, and a few TV cameras always immortalized the event, no one, but no one, ever spotted the difference between the TV reporter and the king. Eh, how likely is that? Take it from me, when the king has been on Swedish television, he has always looked just like himself and no one else - and he has most certainly not looked like another celebrity!

Faith said she reached into her pocket and pulled out a cigarette. She froze at Lois’s look, and then put it back into her pocket.
Hah! I like how Lois spooked the girl! School teacher Lois! No smoking!

“Someone made a deal with the devil. Well, a deal with demons anyway.” Faith shook her head and looked pensive. “He made a deal…in return for a hundred years of staying young and a chance to turn into something more powerful at the end of that time, he built a city right on that spot of concentrated evil.”

“The mayor, Richard Wilkins,” Lois said.
Faustian bargain! Another Faustian bargain! eek

“So he got immortality for a while…what did they get out of it?”

“A twenty four hour a day all you can eat buffet.” Faith shrugged. “I’m guessing the local Chumash Indian tribes were pretty canny and hard to catch. White guys in suburbia are pretty slow by comparison.”
So they - the demons - got human flesh to eat? That's why the death rate in Sunnydale was so high? (I wonder how Mayor Wilkins managed to get re-elected? What was his campaign slogan? "Vote for Wilkins, the Mayor who will serve you for lunch!"?)

“People have to be warned. If there are things out there…”

Faith said, “There are things out there. But people don’t want to know about it. They want to sleep in bed at night and feel safe.”
So they can be eaten without having a clue about what got to them. Eh. I suppose it won't even give the demons a bellyache if you serve them these poor bastards in a garlic sauce.

The younger girl hesitated, and then stared at Lois for a moment. “Did you ever do any fighting?”

“Brown Belt in Tai Kwon Do.” Lois said.

“That must be it,” Faith said. “You move like a fighter.”
Or maybe she has just been turned into a Slayer, Faith.

Okay, Shayne! I've made it pretty clear what I think about the utter ignorance and lack of interest in things Sunnydalian on the part of the outer world. But I like Faith, I like the Cortez family (though I'm in two minds about Angelica), and I love this Lois! Yay! I want to see her protect Jimmy, and Clark, and I want to see her do her bit of fighting the evil from Sunnydale, and then I want her to find out that Clark isn't just a hack from Nowheresville, and... well, I just feel thrilled about this!

Ann

#43549 06/14/07 09:08 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I loved the way you introduced Faith. And Jimmy's fascination with her... He doesn't know what he's in for. laugh (I sure remember Faith's old motto: Want - take - have.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#43550 06/15/07 01:12 AM
Kerth
Kerth
“You have a name?” Lois asked.

“Why?” The woman’s reply was suspicious.

“I think Jimmy would love to be able to put a name to a pair of pants.” Lois said.

“Faith,”
rotflol

I suspected she saved Jimmy when he only noticed the leather pants! laugh

Despite the weird timeline... good story!

Jose

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#43551 06/15/07 08:06 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Ahhh...here we go. Now it gets interesting! laugh

I have always loved Faith's character (probably more than Buffy...ah! Blasphemy!) and I like that you've chosen to use her as an introduction to the slayers rather than Buffy (or anybody else really). Of course I love Jimmy's newfound obsession with her, like everyone else who's commented so far. But I just don't see that relationship developing any more, Jimmy's too much of a wuss for Faith! goofy

I, too, really like the way you are starting to give us a sense of Lois' thoughts about Clark. Nice job with the elevator scene. thumbsup

Keep the parts coming!

"Oh--as usual--dear." -Giles
#43552 06/15/07 08:44 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I forgot to mention that about 18 months ago I got interested in the idea of Sunnydale conspiracy theories - e.g., all the weird explanations people would come up with to explain what happened there - and set up a Livejournal community for people to discuss them. From the point of view of people living in that world without any real knowledge of what was going on, as a sort of role-playing game... It's been pretty dead for a while, but it was great fun while it lasted:

http://community.livejournal.com/sdaleconspiracy/profile

explains what it's about and the ground rules,

http://community.livejournal.com/sdaleconspiracy/

is the actual community.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#43553 06/17/07 01:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Still loving the story. Actually, I hope Buffy doesn't show up. I like Lois being the pivotal character. I'm also interested in a little more Lois/Clark interaction. More soon!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard