Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Glad to see you're back. You've been in my thoughts and prayers, Sue.

This is another in a long string of amazing parts. I wish I had the time to quote some specifics, but James is waiting for me.

I love the tenderness. The SG1 fandom would call this a hurt/comfort story. It is through their hurt that they are able to fully care for each other. Also, I love that they haven't lost their senses of humor.

Elisabeth
who has truly figured it out. It's just like the Superman movies. Superman has to give up his powers to be married to Lois. That's it. I'm sure it is.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Actually, it was downright strange to realize that it was Superman she stole fries from at lunch, Superman's pens that she borrowed and never returned, Superman whom she had goaded into spending fifteen hundred dollars to fly to Las Vegas. It was Superman who was slowly bleeding to death in front of her.
I love this. It reminds me of how Lois thinks about how they are different -- and the same -- in my story after she finds out.

I love how she was willing to let him help her, and how she didn't kill him for lying to her. I don't think being shot would stop Mad Dog Lane if she was on the prowl.

I am excited to see what's next!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay...feedback. This was a great part, Sue. I loved how Lois and Clark were so considerate of one another and how she didn't get angry with him over the whole Superman thing. I guess she decided that there were plenty more important things to waste her energy on, huh?

"Not wear it, necessarily. Although I think you'd look amazing in the cape."

"Just the cape?"

He pressed his lips together to keep from smiling and she knew that she'd been had.

"Hmm, maybe," she said breezily. "Later on I'm going to wear nothing but the cape and see if you're right."
Ooh! In Clark's presence? I mean, he is your husband, Lois... Surely he deserves...something? clap

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue...awesome...awesome...awesome! You have the ability to render us powerless under the spell of your stries. How do you do that?

Anyway without further delay...here's my take...

"How could this happen?" she finally asked, nervously pulling her hand away from the hem of his shirt.

"I don't know. I don't think it was Kryptonite. That always makes me sick. This was just..." He shrugged helplessly. "One minute I was fine and the next I wasn't."

"Was it something in the truck?"

"No. I could see outside. I could hear them talking in the cab. I had my powers until we got out of the truck. And then, all of a sudden, I couldn't fly or do anything."
So what exactly was it that cost Clark his powers? What was in the dirt?

"I left your jacket at the mine," Lois said ruefully. It hurt too much to try and hug herself for warmth and she was exhausted from the pain.

"I'll just run back and get it for you," he answered.

She left out a soft snort. "Thanks. I'll wait here."

They listened to the breeze for a few minutes and then Lois said, "Hey, Clark? Those big round cactuses?"

"Cacti," he muttered.

She rolled her eyes and kept talking. "Couldn't we break one open with a rock and get water?"

"No." He shifted, stretching his injured leg out in front of him carefully.
They're trying to make their horrible situation light. He's even editing her copy...still.

Clark worked the cape free of his Suit and wished he had thought of the idea sooner. He draped the cape over her knees. "Take this."

"What about you?"

"I'm fine," he lied.

"I can hear your teeth chattering. We should share."

"All right." Clark had been hoping she would suggest it. She might be upset with him, but shared body heat was one way to ensure that she lived to make his life miserable later. He moved closer to her and pulled a corner of the cape across his lap.

"This isn't going to work," Lois said in frustration as his movements pulled the cape away from her. "Can we lie down? Or would that hurt too much for you?"

"No, that's fine."
Even injured, Clark is still trying to take care of Lois. But she knows that hr is being a lot nobler than he probably should be right now because he is just as hurt as she is.

"Is it so bad, being adored by the whole world?"

"Not everyone adores me."

"I did."

He felt a pang at her use of the past tense. "I know you did."

She heard the longing in his voice and added, "I still do, you know. Actually, it's somehow more heroic to know that Superman is a regular guy than this flawless god who flies around in tights."

"Flawless?"

She rolled her eyes, hearing the smile in his tone. "Well, he did have a few flaws, but those were mostly due to his inability to commit to me."

His hand reached over and found hers. "He was committed to you, Lois. He just didn't know how to tell you."
Okay, some feelings are expressed here. They are both wanting to relay that there is more to their friendship than just friendship. It's all just so complicated. It's almost as if one wants the other to know how he feel just in case they don't make it out. Lois is now admitting that she actually wanted to date Clark.

Deeply exhausted, she took a step back to lean against the rock. Only Clark was still there and it threw her off-balance when she bumped into him. She staggered to the side but caught her, pulling and turning her at the same time until she was safe against him. Lois closed her eyes and sagged gratefully against the warmth of him, forgetting for a moment that he was shirtless and she was wearing nothing on top but a lacy black bra and one of Superman's pant legs.

After a few seconds it occurred to her that she was wearing only those items and she pushed away from him to pick up her shirt.

"Sorry," she told him. "I, uh, I guess I should get dressed now."

Clark's cheeks grew heated. "I wasn't trying to..."

"I know," she cut in. "Neither was I."
They were both getting comfort and strength from each other...almost like recharging. It was an expression of love, just not sexual.

"Are you cold?" he asked as worry flickered through him. Then he told himself not to worry. It was cool in the canyon. She wasn't feverish, it was the shade.

"Yeah, a little."

"Me, too," he said, even though he really wasn't all that cold anymore. He gave her the cape and then sat down on her right side. "We'll rest here today," he said and she nodded. "We'll get hydrated and then we can finish walking out of here tonight. I think if I can lay in the sunshine today, it might help. I get my strength from the sun and it did seem to help yesterday. I could barely breathe when we left the mine, but I felt a lot better after a few hours in the sun."
Almost as if there was a silent truce, they're now being totally honest and open with each other.

Clark hadn't been much better off, he had been barely conscious and had asked repeatedly about how his wife was doing.
Clark's last dying concern was for Lois...because he loves her more than he loves himself. Even thought this is an incidental marriage, he has taken his vows to another level.

Thank you Sue for another fantastic chapter. Hurry back with more.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
A random thought to begin with... during my long years as a comic book reader I gradually grew furious about the fact that the owners of the Superman trademark seemed determined to keep him a virgin, i.e., they'd were determined to keep him away from the clutches of Lois Lane. And when she finally did catch him and put him in a position where he stood to lose those red briefs of his, the owners whatever they could to undo the damage. I won't go on about that heartbreaking movie, Superman II, but do you know what happened when Superman got married to Lois in the comics? The owners sent Clark and Lois on a honeymoon, where they got barely ten minutes to themselves before they had to spend the rest of the time chasing villains. Hardly had they defeated the badguys than they had to board the next plane to Metropolis (Clark was powerless at the time, I think), and when the plane touched down in the Big Apricot, Lois had mysteriously vanished into thin air! Only no one noticed or worried, least of all Clark, who blithely went about his bachelor life as usual! What was the cause for her disappearance? I swear it was to keep her hands off Clark's anatomy! So how did she return? Heck, she sort of slowly dripped or seeped back into the story, one panel at a time, and whenever we saw a glimpse of her again there was nothing but polite friendship between her and Clark, believe me!

But, Sue, as I was reading this part and had come about half-way through it, I was thinking to myself: Is it possible? Can Lois and Clark have a worse honeymoon than the one they had in the comics? I didn't think that was possible, but hey... you have outdone yourself again, haven't you? wink

Oh, but... then towards the end, you gave us the kind of dialoge between that them that was so perfect that it almost brought tears to my eyes. And it wasn't just the dialogue, but the volumes they spoke to each other using body language. They were honest and just a bit annoyed and teasing, and they were caring and tender and warm and just the right amount of embarrassed, and... wow. Mmmmmmm. No, Sue, this honeymoon is so, so much better than the one they had in the comics. No matter how much their bodies are suffering, the togetherness you gave them at the end was just wonderful:

Lois cracked open one eye to peek at him. "So your plan to save us includes spending the day sunbathing?"

"Do you have a better plan?" he teased.

She grinned and shook her head slowly from side to side. "Hey, I'm just here for the pampering. It's like a spa, only sandier."

"Hard to believe people pay good money for this, isn't it?"

He put his arm around her and she laid her cheek against his chest. Clark closed his eyes, tipping his chin to rest against the crown of her head. His fingers smoothed her hair back, absent-mindedly repeating the action over and over, the soft repetition soothing both of them.
So funny... so beautiful... *sniffle* (I swear that was more WAFF than some people get out of a lifetime of marriage.)

And I know this much: assuming both of them survive (and I think they will), there is no way Lois could disappear without Clark going mad with worry and fretting his cute little backside off!

Both of them had gunshot wounds and were also suffering from dehydration and sunstroke. Lois had been unconscious and in shock. Clark hadn't been much better off, he had been barely conscious and had asked repeatedly about how his wife was doing.
At least we know a bit of how badly injured Clark and Lois were when they were brought in to the hospital. Gunshots? Have they been shot so far? Yes, they have, haven't they? Not just beaten up? (Sorry, Sue, I have no time to re-read the previous parts.) I think they have been shot already, and that's a relief, because then we don't have to "look forward to" addtional shooting in the next two parts! (Bad Sue - you added a chapter so that we can agonize about the horrors still awaiting our favorite couple a little longer!)

And now I'm afraid I don't have time to comment more right now. I'll be back, Sue!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah!!! Sue's back with more Honeymoon!!! dance

This was another wonderful section.

BTW--I Detest Las Vegas on so many levels so your description:
There are few things in life as depressing as a cheap motel room when you're too tired and worried to sleep. Martha looked around the threadbare room in disdain and wished they had just stayed in the hospital waiting room. This room, which was the best they could do on short notice, was grimy, small and reeked of decades of stale cigarette smoke.
just seemed to fit. I've stayed there a couple of times--mostly because it was what was available as we were driving through the desert. I've seen nice rooms in Vegas as well as the ones you described--your right there is little as depressing and then to put it in that slime pit of a city. . . well it's amazing that Martha isn't crying her eyes out with all that is going on.

I love Lois' introspection about Clark and how she comes to "terms" witht he whole dual identitiy thing.
No - she gave herself a mental shake. It was Clark. It was Clark she was going to lose if she didn't do something to help him. It was Clark who had kissed her last night. It was Clark she hadn't been able to leave behind in the mine.
<big sigh> smile very nice.

I'm so currious about what caused Clark to lose his powers. . .you are going to let them figure it out eventally aren't you ? And let us know? grovel Please?

OK, I've got to stop so I can get to work. So, I'll end by Saying that I love the time in the slot canyon. He's really lucky that the one there had water in it, the one I got to go in this summer was mostly cut by wind and was dry as a bone.

More soon please!!

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
Columnist
Columnist
ooh yay another part from Vegas!!
I think I know how confused Martha and Jonathan must be right now!! Not knowing what happened to them. So was it the dirt that made Clark loose his powers??

And it was great to read that Lois didn't get mad that she could see that Clark was superman (that it even made sense)and that she helped him!! aaawww
Clark worked the cape free of his Suit and wished he had thought of the idea sooner. He draped the cape over her knees. "Take this
How nice of him!! Of course they'll share wink !!!!

It's a lot to quote but I just LOVE the whole conversation thay have that night! About how mean they were to each other. I really think that was sooo sweet!

This was just an other super part, can't wait for the next one!!!

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
There are few things in life as depressing as a cheap motel room when you're too tired and worried to sleep. Martha looked around the threadbare room in disdain and wished they had just stayed in the hospital waiting room. This room, which was the best they could do on short notice, was grimy, small and reeked of decades of stale cigarette smoke.
Heh. I rarely stay at hotels, I can't afford them, but if I have to stay at one, it had better be better than that one! Geeez!! And I'm very much a non-smoker, and these days, when smoking is forbidden in all public places indoors, my tolerance for cigarette smoke grows less and less. (Can you smoke in hotels in Sweden, at least in some rooms there? I've no idea.)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this description reminds me of the first school I worked at, Söderslättsgymnasiet in Trelleborg in 1980. Back then, smoking indoors was certainly allowed, certainly in the staff rooms for teachers. I remember one such room in particular. I'm sure there must have been mould in that building somewhere, because it definitely smelled like that, and then several of the teachers who used to sit there smoked like chimneys. You can't believe what the combination of mould and stale smoke smelled like in the morning (insert retching icon here). And it never took long before one of the chain-smoking teachers came in, smelled the air, uttered an expletive, condemned the foulness of stale smoke, and promised anyone in the room that he or she would immediately freshen up the air by exhaling some fresh cigarette smoke on us! Whereupon the teacher in question promptly lit up!

She had known for several months that Superman could be made vulnerable. Why was it so much worse to know that it was Clark who was hurting? It was Clark watching her with anxious eyes, his face pale and tense.
This is beautifully written. Lois admires and idolizes Superman, but she loves and cares for Clark. I think that is because Superman is per definition invulnerable, untouchable, indestructible, not only physically but emotionally too, or at least that is how Lois has seen him. Clark, on the other hand, is human like the rest of us and feels what we feel, or that is what Lois thinks of him. His eyes are warm and teasing, while Superman's is heroic and far-seeing. Of course that makes it so much worse if Clark is hurt than if Superman is injured.

Had her subconscious figured out his secret ages ago? There were so many hints she had let slide. So many lame lies that she hadn't questioned. Was it because it had been so much easier to love the fantasy than to risk her heart on reality?
You may be right here, but you know me, Sue - stubborn as a mule. All I can see that Clark lied to Lois and if he wanted to tell her he should have told her, not dropped hints. I refuse to see it as Lois's fault that she didn't figure out his secret! *stamps foot*

How ironic was it then that she had inadvertently married the superhero she had been chasing for two years? Wasn't this just her luck? She'd had the chance to sleep with him last night and she had locked herself in the bathroom instead.
Wow, yes. That was ironic. Only now I think Lois has figured out that she would much rather sleep with Clark than with Superman if she got the chance to live the past few days all over again. (Never mind that they are the same guy. Now that Lois knows that the two are one, she can also see that they aren't really the same.

Hmmm. I do think it is nice that she thinks about the possibility that was so perfectly within her grasp, but that she let slip.

Her mind reeled, remembering every touch, every look, every smile that Clark had ever given her. She had enjoyed them simply because they came from Clark - it was odd to think that they were from Superman. Actually, it was downright strange to realize that it was Superman she stole fries from at lunch, Superman's pens that she borrowed and never returned, Superman whom she had goaded into spending fifteen hundred dollars to fly to Las Vegas. It was Superman who was slowly bleeding to death in front of her.

No - she gave herself a mental shake. It was Clark. It was Clark she was going to lose if she didn't do something to help him. It was Clark who had kissed her last night. It was Clark she hadn't been able to leave behind in the mine.
She might not have been able to leave Superman behind either, but that would have been out of a sense of civic duty. She couldn't leave Clark because he was Clark, and she couldn't imagine her life without him.

"Say something," Clark pled anxiously. She had been staring at him, her eyes darting between his face and the Suit, and the pain of waiting was becoming equal to that of the bullet buried inside him.
I'm quoting this just because - yes! He has already been shot. No need to shoot him again, Sue!

She wouldn't meet his eyes and he flushed, hating that she had learned the truth this way.
Oh, Mr. Feel-Sorry-For-Himself because Lois found out his secret. Tell me, Clark. When had you really planned to tell her? razz

Lois turned away from him, looking at the stark landscape outside as she tried not to hear the soft grunts and groans that he made as he struggled. Should she help him? No - what if he wasn't wearing anything beneath the Suit? Her cheeks grew hotter as she remembered the countless times she had daydreamed about what was under the Suit. Last night the answer had been right there beneath her questing hands.
Love some of the words you are using here, Sue. "Stark" - to me that is a word that symbolizes something harsh, sometimes beautiful, but usually lifeless. There is certainly none of the messes that living things make in anything that is stark. Grunts and groans, though - they are so totally associated with life. Not life in any of its most beautiful aspects, but life, most certainly. In this case, the grunts and groans are made by a living being that is as attractive as anything that Lois can think of, and she could have touched him, caressed him last night, if she hadn't been so stupid. "Her questing hands" - that's a beautiful expression, too.

Lois turned to see the Suit lying in a small heap next to him. The outfit was much smaller than she thought.
I love this. The outfit itself is small. It looks big because of the sheer stature, physical and mental, of the man who wears it.

"Helicopter."

Lois had recognized the sound only a second or two before Clark spoke. "It's not a rescue, is it? They're the only ones who know we're out here. Did we leave footprints?"

"I don't know."
Horror!!!

Wonder, though, why the badguys are so desperate to find them? They should know that Lois and Clark are both injured, and that their chances of survival in the desert are small. Okay, I guess Mickey and his goons might be implicated if Lois and Clark's bodies are found, and possibly also if these relatively well-known reporters just disappear. Anyway, I wonder what it is that Micky is hiding. What was it that Lois was about to discover about him?

They scooped it in their hands, licking the drops from their fingers. The water tasted awful and left grit in their mouths. There wasn't more than a couple of swallows for either of them and it was almost worse to have been teased with a scant amount of liquid than to have had none at all.
Eeeeww, disgusting....

Over the long, hot day the helicopter passed over them several more times.
They are that desperate?

She watched Clark's shadowy figure apprehensively. Was he still bleeding? How bad off was he? Did they dare to leave their hiding place? Did she even dare to talk to him? What do you say to your best friend when you find out their deepest, darkest secret?
His deepest, darkest secret... come on, Lois! It's not as if you have just discovered that Clark is an axe murderer.

At this point he would gladly trade his powers forever if he could have just had them back for another ten minutes.
I'm so moved by this somehow.

His mind went over and over the chain of events and he loathed himself for allowing Lois to get hurt. There were so many things he could have, should have, would have done differently. He could have freed them from the back of the truck. Truthfully, if he had known that Mickey was out in the hall, he would have just flown her out the window of the hotel and dealt with the consequences later.
Wow, Clark. You would have revealed your powers to Lois rather than having both of you dying in the desert? Excuse me for being underwhelmed. (Okay, Mickey would almost certainly have found out about your powers too, and that would definitely have been a bigger deal.)

The lack of sunlight had left him feeling weaker and weaker as the day wore on. He knew that the continued loss of sunlight might prove to be fatal for him. But if he stayed in the sun, he could be spotted. And that would mean endangering Lois.
I love how he's thinking of Lois here.

"I left your jacket at the mine," Lois said ruefully. It hurt too much to try and hug herself for warmth and she was exhausted from the pain.

"I'll just run back and get it for you," he answered.

She left out a soft snort. "Thanks. I'll wait here."
This is lovely. They can still joke.

They listened to the breeze for a few minutes and then Lois said, "Hey, Clark? Those big round cactuses?"

"Cacti," he muttered.
:rolleyes:

She rolled her eyes and kept talking. "Couldn't we break one open with a rock and get water?"

"No." He shifted, stretching his injured leg out in front of him carefully.

"No? Oh, come on. Why not?"

"Lois, those are barrel cactus. It's a myth that they're filled with water. They actually contain an alkali slime that would kill us faster. We'd get diarrhea, which would dehydrate us even more. Plus it would drop our core temperature and then we'd get hypothermia."

She let out an exasperated sigh. "Don't you ever get tired of knowing everything?"
He is rather annoying here.

"I don't know everything," he said, unsure just how rude she had meant that to sound. He supposed he should take comfort in the fact that she was treating him like Clark and not Superman. It didn't mean that he couldn't miss the hero worship just a little though.
:rolleyes:

"I can hear your teeth chattering. We should share."

"All right." Clark had been hoping she would suggest it. She might be upset with him, but shared body heat was one way to ensure that she lived to make his life miserable later.
That's so funny!

Lois stared at the vast blanket of stars above them and wondered which was his.
Chances are it was Alpha Centauri, Epsilon Eridani or 61 Cygni. They are nearby, and I just can't believe he could travel more than a few light-years if he were to survive the trip. Wonder if he knows himself which star is his, though?

Anyway... I love the image of the two of them lying on the ground in the desert side by side, sharing his cape and looking at the stars. Wow... I bet the stars are amazingly bright out in the desert, so far from towns and people and artficial illumination.

It was staggering to realize that Clark wasn't from here. He had come from out there. Her partner was an alien. She'd always thought of aliens as little green men. They weren't supposed to have broad shoulders and smile that could stop you in your tracks. Aliens were supposed to have cold, dead eyes and scaly skin. Clark was the absolute opposite of everything she had considered "alien".
Pssst, don't tell anyone, but this may be the one thing I find hardest to accept about Superman - that he looks perfectly human, even though he is an alien. Consider how different we humans actually look here on Earth. We do, honestly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How come Clark can look not only perfectly human, but perfectly beautiful according to most of our ideas of perfect beauty? When he's from another planet, light-years away? It boggles the mind.

But... all right, all right... I want him to look perfectly human and beautiful, too. I'll just have to try to tell myself that this is perfectly normal somehow.

"How did it happen? Did your parents on Krypton know who they were sending you to? Had they worked something out?"

"No, not really. They knew I would land in Kansas
They knew he would land in Kansas??? And they took aim a coupla light years away??? eek

(Sorry - being an astronomy nerd sometimes gets in the way when I'm reading these stories. Forgive me, Sue!)

"What? Lois, why would I hate you?"

"I was such a brat. Worshipping Superman and snubbing you. Does it help that I've been nicer lately? I mean, I wanted to date you. And I've always respected you."

He let out a short laugh even though it hurt to do so. "Liar. You hated me at first."

"I didn't hate you," she said defensively.

"You disliked me."
I can't help it, I love how they start arguing after she has tried to apologize for her behaviour! Suddenly Clark can see why he has a reason to be angry at her!

"You were so squeaky clean - it made me suspicious. And you were irritating. You acted so naïve and yet you stole my stories and you were mean to me."

"Mean? I was never mean to you! And what stories did I steal? You were the one who stole my stories."

"I might have stolen one little story from you. But you took several of mine. The one about the theater. And the space shuttle? The Toasters? And what about the time you..."
He stole your story about the theater, Lois? The one you weren't in the mood to write? rotflol

"Okay," he cut in. "But I was never mean to you."

"The sewage reclamation plant? How about telling the entire newsroom that I was dancing in a chicken costume? Throwing in me in that disgusting dumpster? And..."

"You win," he sighed. "I was terrible to you."
Yeah, when you put it that way, he was!

Lois was silent for several seconds and then she sighed. "We both were. We were both awful to each other, just in different ways."

"Will you forgive me?" he asked.

He sounded so sad and she realized that he still thought she was upset over finding out he was Superman. For a moment it was tempting to tease him and tell him that he was going to owe her. Only she owed him, didn't she? How many times had he saved her life? Even now, he was being nice about the fact that she had been so blind and stupid for far too long.

"I guess I'd better," she answered. "Don't they say that you shouldn't go to bed angry at each other?"

Clark smiled. "Yes, they do."
Oh, how sweet. I love this, Sue!

A few minutes of silence passed as she watched the stars and then she said, "I'm not angry, Clark. In fact, I kind of have to admire you for being able to hide it for so long. Please tell me it wasn't easy to do."
Please tell her she wasn't galactically stupid!

"Is it so bad, being adored by the whole world?"

"Not everyone adores me."

"I did."

He felt a pang at her use of the past tense. "I know you did."
Poor Clark. he often feels so worthless in Lois's eyes after his secret has been exposed.

She heard the longing in his voice and added, "I still do, you know. Actually, it's somehow more heroic to know that Superman is a regular guy than this flawless god who flies around in tights."

"Flawless?"

She rolled her eyes, hearing the smile in his tone. "Well, he did have a few flaws, but those were mostly due to his inability to commit to me."

His hand reached over and found hers. "He was committed to you, Lois. He just didn't know how to tell you."

Her throat seemed to have suddenly closed off so she squeezed his fingers as she croaked out, "Thanks."

He stroked his thumb over hers. "For what it's worth, I always adored you right back."

She made a snuffling noise and moved her head so that it was just barely touching his shoulder before she closed her eyes. "G'night, Clark."

"Good night," he answered softly and gave her fingers another squeeze.
Awww!!!! So adorable! *happy snuffle*

Clark wavered for a moment, not entirely sure about why he felt so shy. Then he slowly stood up and unbuttoned his shirt. Lois glanced away, watching the reflection of the sky above them in the tiny pool of water.
It's so sweet that they are so shy around each other.

He grit his teeth as she gently wiped away the layers of blood and dirt. "No, don't apologize. It's fine. In fact, I've been thinking about how this happened and I'm wondering if the dirt is part of the problem."
Yes, Clark. That must be it.

"Are you mocking me for knowing stuff? How are you going to sleep with me tonight if you're picking fights with me now?"

Lois looked up at him, her mind still swimming with the words 'sleep with me tonight'.
Aawww....

Lois swallowed in nervousness. She was going to have to take her shirt off in front of him again. He wasn't going to ogle, she knew that. Actually, maybe that was part of the problem. Why couldn't he want to ogle her, just a little?
Aaawww!!!

"Damn it," she swore softly and averted her eyes, embarrassed. "Can you help me?"

"Okay." He gently helped her to free her shirt from her left arm. "I promise I won't look anywhere I shouldn't."

She grimaced. Of course he wouldn't, the big boy scout.
Hmmm. She doesn't like his boy scout image.

"It looks like it hurt." Actually it appeared swollen and streaks of red were extending from the exit wound. Clark frowned as he realized that meant an infection was setting in. At least it had scabbed over and was no longer bleeding.
Those red streaks, could they be the beginning of blood poisoning, as they called it when I was a kid? The way they explained it to me, it could be deadly.

"Not wear it, necessarily. Although I think you'd look amazing in the cape."

"Just the cape?"

He pressed his lips together to keep from smiling and she knew that she'd been had.

"Hmm, maybe," she said breezily. "Later on I'm going to wear nothing but the cape and see if you're right."
Good idea, Lois. But you might wear the boots, too. laugh

She staggered to the side but caught her, pulling and turning her at the same time until she was safe against him. Lois closed her eyes and sagged gratefully against the warmth of him, forgetting for a moment that he was shirtless and she was wearing nothing on top but a lacy black bra and one of Superman's pant legs.
Aaaawww...

After a few seconds it occurred to her that she was wearing only those items and she pushed away from him to pick up her shirt.
Oh, Lois. Hey, you are married, you know?

Lois cracked open one eye to peek at him. "So your plan to save us includes spending the day sunbathing?"

"Do you have a better plan?" he teased.

She grinned and shook her head slowly from side to side. "Hey, I'm just here for the pampering. It's like a spa, only sandier."

"Hard to believe people pay good money for this, isn't it?"

He put his arm around her and she laid her cheek against his chest. Clark closed his eyes, tipping his chin to rest against the crown of her head. His fingers smoothed her hair back, absent-mindedly repeating the action over and over, the soft repetition soothing both of them.
And then the ending again - or the end ot this part, at any rate. So, so sweet. But, Sue, you really need to rescue Lois and Clark. So why don't you come back in a hurry and do so?

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
Wheee! Another night of no internet connection and the wondering/waiting game. To come in this morning and find all this... I'm beyond happy! But, since I am at work, I'll have to try and be brief...
It's just like the Superman movies. Superman has to give up his powers to be married to Lois. That's it. I'm sure it is.
Ha! Would you believe I hadn't even thought of that angle? But that is kind of fun, in a way. Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers, Elisabeth. They're very much appreciated. sloppy
It reminds me of how Lois thinks about how they are different -- and the same -- in my story after she finds out.
What story is that? Heck, if you're going to plug your story in a thread, you should at least tell us which story it is. wink
I loved how Lois and Clark were so considerate of one another and how she didn't get angry with him over the whole Superman thing. I guess she decided that there were plenty more important things to waste her energy on, huh?
Anna, I thought about having her righteously angry over the whole thing. But then I thought about how it would feel when they've both already been through so much. It would have been too over-the-top to make her angry. Really, how can she possibly punish him when Mickey's men have done all the dirty work for her? He's only got two things left to lose - her and his life.
He's even editing her copy...still.
Bonus points to Sheila for making the connection! I thought that was a fun way to explain why they couldn't use the cacti for water, plus it gave her an opportunity to needle him later when she asked: "Are you telling me that you've never studied the mines of the Southwest?" Heh.
They are both wanting to relay that there is more to their friendship than just friendship. It's all just so complicated. It's almost as if one wants the other to know how he feel just in case they don't make it out.
That's exactly what's going on! More bonus points for Sheila! It is complicated - no one wants to be the one who reveals too much.
I'm so currious about what caused Clark to lose his powers. . .you are going to let them figure it out eventally aren't you ? And let us know?
Yes, Vonceil. I promise. laugh
He's really lucky that the one there had water in it, the one I got to go in this summer was mostly cut by wind and was dry as a bone.
True that. I've hiked in the canyon they're in multiple times and sometimes the spring is active and sometimes it isn't. But, honestly, they couldn't have survived all the way to Friday morning without water in that heat.
So was it the dirt that made Clark loose his powers??
He seems to think so.
Wonder, though, why the badguys are so desperate to find them? They should know that Lois and Clark are both injured, and that their chances of survival in the desert are small. Okay, I guess Mickey and his goons might be implicated if Lois and Clark's bodies are found, and possibly also if these relatively well-known reporters just disappear.
Mickey was meeting up with a goon who had been made to leave Metropolis (Big Joe). At the beginning of the story L/C are theorizing that maybe Big Joe is trying to make a comeback. The possibility that two of Metropolis' crack reporters might make a comeback of their own is a loose end that Mickey can't have. L/C may not have known anything when they were shot, but they certainly could implicate Mickey and the others in several crimes now. Mickey is cursing himself for not taking them straight out to the desert when he found them, but he had wanted to find out what they knew first. Now there are witnesses all over Vegas who saw them together, he paid for their room and they've just disappeared? You bet he's desperate to find them. Find them and make sure that no one else ever finds them again.
I bet the stars are amazingly bright out in the desert, so far from towns and people and artficial illumination.
It's beyond amazing. No picture or description can do it justice. But I, too, love the mental image of them lying beneath that wide expanse of stars under his cape.
How come Clark can look not only perfectly human, but perfectly beautiful according to most of our ideas of perfect beauty?
Hee - this reminds me of a family story, one that my sister will KILL me for repeating. But, if you've read this far, you deserve a reward. <g>

Several years ago, back when LnC was still on the air, Dean Cain hosted some TV special about the paranormal or superheroes or something. I don't remember the show, only the conversation in my mother's living room. At one point Dean was talking into the camera and he said something like, "And what about the most famous of aliens, Superman?" My sister, who was about 17 at the time (plenty old enough to know better) lets out this astonished shriek and turns to me and earnestly exclaims, "Superman is alien?!? Oh my gosh, but he looks so human!" Everyone laughed at her and she became upset with us. It became a catch phrase in our family (and still is to this day, "Superman is an alien? Oh my gosh...")

Ahem. Maybe you had to be there, but it was all in how honestly sincere and surprised she was. How could he be an alien when he looked just like us? <g>

I'm glad everyone liked this part. To me it feels truncated because I had to chop off about 5-6 pages. The next part is better. At least, I think so. Now that they're finally comfortable with each other, they can really start to talk. Which means they can annoy each other, flirt with each other and somehow reach the point where Clark would adamantly insist to everyone that Lois was truly his wife. As Sheila pointed out (more bonus points!): Even thought this is an incidental marriage, he has taken his vows to another level. Maybe, before the story is over, they both will. wink

Thanks guys! I should have part six out far more quickly than this part.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
*yay* I'm so glad I have this to read right now!! smile

I've told Jessi this quite a few times before and I'm sure she thinks I'm deranged by now, but... every time I read a revelation story I always get in this weird-like state where I sit here and find myself amazed by the fact that Clark is Superman - as if I had just learned of it myself. It's literally as if I'm suddenly putting two and two together and going "OMG!" *lol* In fact, this morning I was walking to work and some song lyrics got me thinking how weird it is that Clark is an extra-terrestrial. It's mind-boggling...

This said... I love when that happens, that whole "WOW!" thing when I realize (for the millionth time) that Clark is Superman.

This brought it right back and I'm pretty sure what I'm feeling now is what Lois was experiencing at the time:

Actually, it was downright strange to realize that it was Superman she stole fries from at lunch, Superman's pens that she borrowed and never returned, Superman whom she had goaded into spending fifteen hundred dollars to fly to Las Vegas.
ROFL!!! And that was exactly where I was at this morning when I was walking to work:

It was staggering to realize that Clark wasn't from here. He had come from out there. Her partner was an alien. She'd always thought of aliens as little green men. They weren't supposed to have broad shoulders and smile that could stop you in your tracks. Aliens were supposed to have cold, dead eyes and scaly skin. Clark was the absolute opposite of everything she had considered "alien".
Seriously... mind-boggling... he's more human than a lot of people I know, but he's not from here at all. It's so weird to think about that!!!

For one, they didn't really use cell phones in the series until the third season.
Are you sure? I clearly remember Lois calling Clark on his when he was out having lunch with Mayson. wink But the cell would *definitely* not have worked in the desert - coverage back then was very limited. (and believe me, I know - I worked for a cell phone company back in 1996)

Great part - sorry for the lack of actual real comments, I was so caught up in the whole thing. smile I love that, though. I love when I don't want to take my eyes off the page until I get to the end. It was great! laugh Can't wait for the next one!!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
wow that was good especially after such a long wait (dont worry i dont blame you sue). i have to admit i was pretty surprised she didnt blow up even the tiniest bit. what? she is Lois lane after all. now, whats this bit that i need osme tissues for!!! oh god, im dreading that bit! whens the next one came out sue?

Features Writer
Features Writer
What story is that? Heck, if you're going to plug your story in a thread, you should at least tell us which story it is.
LOL Sue. It's "Inside Out," which you proclaimed as too long to read when you commented on my vignette wink

But here, I'll paste the passage and then maybe I can entice you into reading it:

Across the table, Lois was trying to listen to what Perry was saying, but her mind – and her eyes – kept wandering to Clark. She searched his face, looking for all the things she had missed. They had the same eyes, the same mouth, the same jaw … no major differences except the glasses and the hair. But there *were* differences. Superman's eyes were steely; Clark's blazed with desire as he made love to her. Superman usually looked stoic; Clark's lips parted slightly as he was sleeping, his mouth soft and inviting when he kissed her.

And may I add that I thought the "him editing her copy" comment was hilarious. It's funny how even when she doesn't realize it, he is doing that, both in fics and on the show. She may be better with the content (i.e. reporting) but he is head and shoulders above her when it comes to detail (the writing side).

But as an editor, I claim this defense: We don't mean to edit and pick at everything! Well, most of the time ... blush

And you know, I'm going to Vegas next week. I'll have to keep an eye out for Mickey and his henchmen. laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
Excellent. smile1 Thank you, also, for the illustrative slides - I could imagine the desert, having been there, but I couldn't imagine the canyon. And forget the omission of mobile phones; the thing that worries me is the danger of poisonous insects and wildlife...

Yvonne
(sorry this is short but I have a headache)

Kerth
Kerth
which you proclaimed as too long to read when you commented on my vignette
I "proclaimed" it? lol You make it sound like I waved my hand in the air and sniffed and yawned and said, "too long". But seriously - when is a 35 part story (I checked) not a major time investment? I didn't mean to insult you when I put that in your FDK, I just wanted to let you know that I had enjoyed your vignette but I wouldn't be able to invest the time that a 35-part story would take. My apologies if you thought I was being rude. grovel

I'm not really sure I see the correlation between Clark's features and reactions during sex and Lois stealing his pens and snitching his french fries (the passage you compared it to). I was simply trying to convey something like Lara had mentioned - how surreal it was for her to discover that she had done all those mundane (and sometimes rude) things to Superman.
that whole "WOW!" thing when I realize (for the millionth time) that Clark is Superman.
I know just what you mean, Lara! I, too, seem to suffer from temporary amnesia when it comes to the revelation. It's my favorite thing to write - there are just so many ways that it could happen, so many roads to go down. And it amazes me afresh each time when I look through Lois' eyes and realize that the ordinary guy she eats lunch with every day is the same guy who flies around the city on a whim. I don't think you're deranged. Or I'm just glad that we're suffering from the same insanity. <g>
i have to admit i was pretty surprised she didnt blow up even the tiniest bit.
I thought about having her go ballistic, but it seemed like overkill. In these circumstances, he's being punished enough already.

Yvonne, I'm glad you liked the pictures. I hope your headache has disappeared! <hugs>

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
Kerth
Kerth
No idea how I posted this twice. :rolleyes: Please delete this one. Thanks!

Ides of Metropolis
Features Writer
Features Writer
My apologies if you thought I was being rude.
Oh no, not at all. I was kidding. I figured people may like my vignette because it was short. LOL. rotflol

I'm not really sure I see the correlation between Clark's features and reactions during sex and Lois stealing his pens and snitching his french fries (the passage you compared it to).
The correlation I saw was more subtle (and she was thinking about him in general, not just during sex) in that she is thinking about how she never thought about the fact that this stoic man/the man whose eyes blazed when he was around her (my story) and the man who was her companion and best friend/the man who saved her the world (yours) were one and the same. I'm sorry. I won't make any more comparisons or leave FDK if it seems erroneous and stupid.

EDITED TO ADD: PLEASE DELETE MY DUPLICATE POSTS ... NOT SURE WHY IT DID THAT EITHER!

Features Writer
Features Writer

Features Writer
Features Writer

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm interesting thoughts about why Clark looks human. Maybe because a human being invented him? He is the ideal perfect man and obviously doesn't exhist here on Earth<g> I guess he had to come from somewhere, other then heaven, or their would be no sex! And what fun is that to us humans? But I am glad he was invented. He certainly is a devine inspiration! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Elisabeth has it right:
**Elisabeth
who has truly figured it out. It's just like the Superman movies. Superman has to give up his powers to be married to Lois. That's it. I'm sure it is. **

I have so many unanswered questions with this part--I love that this is not a predictable story in the least. It makes it fresh and new and I love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard