Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
New DJ's story! [Linked Image] And finally I can write an early FDK! Woohoo!

There isn’t really any main villain in this fic.
YAY! Off with villains! [Linked Image] Who needs them anyway?

For longer than she wanted to admit her life had been her work. Her life had been the Planet. It was her anchor and she missed it dearly. Her strong fortress had been reduced to a house of cards.
How sad.

Sure, maybe Superman was more physically capable of protecting her, but no one had a heart like Clark’s. He had taken her into his apartment that night, no questions asked. She could still feel the strength and comfort in his arms as he held her and let her cry softly against his shoulder. She could still hear his soft voice as he promised her that she would be safe with him.
Ahhhh, WAFF... [Linked Image] I love Witness. It's one of my preferred episodes from Season 1. "...no one had a heart like Clark’s"... So true. Clark has a heart of gold. What a pity she didn't recognize it sooner. I hope it isn't too late.

Her feelings had been allowed to surface during the pheromone fiasco and she had tried to deny them, push them down... flippantly wave them off. But they were there and they had resurfaced.
Another episode I love. Hmmmmm, I'm gonna love this story. How could I don't to, if it's written by DJ? help

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
OMG! A WEEK between posts? You are smile1

It's never too late until you say "I do..."
How brilliant and true! Thanks Mama Lane, for *once* contributing something useful. wink

And poor Clark! With all this introductory talk of medical jargon, I sure hope you don't put him through the wringer too much DJ.
hyper

"Oh--as usual--dear." -Giles
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
OOOOOO!!!! Interesting twist on the way the wedding stopped.

I'm particularly fond of Lois' pre-wedding introspection.
She reached down and fingered one of the lace appliques that adorned the soft satin. It was too flashy, too ornate. She preferred more tasteful clothing. A wedding dress could still be beautiful – and in her opinion could showcase the bride even better – if it were simple.

But it was what Lex wanted.
That's right Lois, there IS something wrong with this picture!!

Before today, Clark had always been there for her. And it wasn’t just the little things, though they were nice all by themselves.

Lois couldn’t help thinking back to when Barbara Trevino had threatened her and she had gone over to Clark’s apartment. It had just seemed so natural to go there. She had callously told Clark that if she had to pick a bodyguard, it wouldn’t be him. But that wasn’t the truth. There wasn’t anyone she trusted more to protect her and be there for her. Well, almost anyone...
AWWWWW! Lois is starting to figure it out. blush

Lois cringed at her reflection in the mirror. What had she said? Even now she couldn’t believe how calloused she had been to Clark. Just moments after he had confessed his love for her, she had asked him to run and fetch Superman. How could she have done that to him?
Good Girl! You realized this on your own. I always wanted to smack her for that little lapse in judgement.

She started crying again in earnest, mumbling her name to herself as her mother entered through the door into the spare guest room. “Oh, mom, what am I going to do,” she half spoke, half sobbed.

“Oh, honey, if you’re not sure,” her mother began earnestly.

“It’s too late!” she cried, interrupting her.

“No it’s not!” her mother reprimanded her. “You do what your heart tells you to do.”
OMG--Is this Ellen Lane speaking?!?!? eek

As if reading her thoughts, her mother continued, “It’s never too late until you say ‘I do’. And then you’ll live with the regret the rest of your life or your marriage will end in failure like mine and your father’s did. Don’t marry someone who isn’t right for you, honey. Divorce is a terrible thing to have to go through. Believe me. I know.”

“But mom, I said yes. Lex Luthor is well respected. He is a humanitarian and would be a good provider and...”

Her mother took her by the arms and turned Lois to face her. “Do you love him?”
I can't believe I'm saying this. . . Lois Listen to your mother!!

“No, Lex. Let me go,” she protested, allowing a little heat into her voice as she ripped her arm free of his grasp. “It’s not too late until I say ‘I do’ and sign that marriage certificate. And I can’t do that. I won’t. I’m in love with someone else.”

Lex’s eyes darkened visibly. “Who? Superman?”

Lois shook her head. “I won’t deny that I have feelings for him, but that’s not who I was talking about. Not that it’s any of your business,” she bit out.

He frowned at her and then understanding seemed to light up in his eyes. “No, it can’t be,” he said, shaking his head in amazement. “How perverse. You can’t honestly tell me that you’d rather be with that out-of-work hayseed partner of yours over me.”
You know, it takes talent to make me dislike Lex even more than I usually do, but you did it with that last line. "Hayseed"!?!? Keep your mean-spirited, arrogent thoughts off of Clark.

OK, there is just Way To Much in the "clark" section for me to quote--just know that I love it.

Luthor advanced on him in a rush and took an unsteady swipe at Clark’s throat. Clark dodged at the last second, but his attempt to evade cost him his footing and he stumbled backwards down the stairs. In that instant Luthor swung out with the axe. The steel blade penetrated Clark’s vulnerable skin and he felt a red-hot heat rip through his side, sending a searing jolt of pain through him.
shock

The world was swimming around Clark, colors and images blurring and fading and he fell over. The last thing he heard was Henderson calling his name.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

You know, In general--when I have access to the entire story--I love a good cliff- hanger. But, right now--I am ready to send a whole army of wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy just for this one line.

More soon grovel PLEASE!!!!!

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Nice start. Putting Clark down while Lois gets her head together should be useful.

the police will find the cage and the suit and think the worst.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
But she had really been afraid that his memory was permanently gone. It had scared her in a way that she wasn’t comfortable thinking about.
Huh, that's really kinda interesting. Maybe I just have been missing some stories, but I think out of all the Nightfall fic I've read over the years, and I'm not quite sure I've read hardly any stories that touch on those couple of thoughts...

And some random killer lines:
Sure, maybe Superman was more physically capable of protecting her, but no one had a heart like Clark’s.
She had to say it, just once. She had to see what it would have sounded like.
And then what I actually said out loud:
In that instant Luthor swung out with the axe. The steel blade penetrated Clark’s vulnerable skin and he felt a red-hot heat rip through his side, sending a searing jolt of pain through him.
"Oh my God, who are you? Oh that's right, this is just a new level of evil..." <g>

goofy Man, I need a recovery period before I start my next sculpture. This whole axe stuff...I gotta go decompress LOL. Great part, I'm so ready for a new adventure. <g>

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Nice start.

I like the set up for some angsty moments when Lois finds out Clark has been axed by Luthor. It might upset her just a little bit. Especially if Clark is teetering on that edge of life and death.

Now... about this *once* a week schedule. I don't think that will do. Minimum of twice a week is required.

Tank (who hopes that there will be a chance for Lois to get a proper haircut sometime during the story)

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Tank, you are almost as evil as DJ. The whole change of thought between Clark getting axed and Lois getting a haircut is unsettling, to say the least.

I have a way of going off on my own tangents at the worst of times. I had a college prof tell me that my whole family has an "irreverant sense of humor." How true. Anywhoo, I was just wondering how Superman could change into Clark in that weakened/non-Super state that he's in. When he stashed his clothes under the stairs, I was hoping he wasn't running around naked. With that in mind, I was half expecting Mrs. Cox to show up, instead of Luthor.

I know. I know. Not one of my little comments has provided DJ with a lick of anything helpful or encouraging.

How about... Nice job, DJ.

Elisabeth
my daughter is asking me to "put a face in" wave

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ahh DJ this story looks fantastic! I have to join the masses when I say only once a week? With this sort of cliff hanger? I'll never survive! smile

I loved this start! I'm kind of a sucker for Clark getting hurt. I have no idea why. I'm usually not so... sadistic. But I love it. Especially since Lois will hopefully come to her senses and realize she LOVES Clark. Even though I suppose she already has, partly anyway. I can't wait to see where you take this.

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Aggh! Clark's axe wound or Lois's pending haircut? Which one is the unkindest cut of all?

Very nice twist on the episode, DJ. You are, indeed, most adept at the cliffhanger chapter breaks, but as Tank once pointed out, that's one of the things that bring FOLCs back to your story.

Will Lois assume that Superman died in the cellar? If so, will she also assume that his body disintegrated? And that Lex put the costume in storage? Will Clark regain his powers before or after his fast-healing injury reveals his true identity? Will Lois blame herself for Clark's wound and Superman's disappearance?

As to the last, of course she will! This is, after all, a very WAFFy-angsty story by DJ, isn't it?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Blogger
Blogger
Lex is an axe murderer! eek

Well, right now, he is a dead axe attempted murderer. But still, I think that's a new low, even for Lex.

There isn’t really any main villain in this fic.
Who needs a villain when the author's pen (or keyboard) is already oozing with ichorous evil? I mean really! You just hatcheted Clark! shock

I'd quote my favorite parts, but I'd probably just end up reposting the whole part. I love it all, from Lois's eleventh hour realization of Clark's true importance in her life (and not some lukewarm "Maybe, I just maybe have some feelings for Clark...maybe" realization), to Clark's determination to escape for Lois's sake, to Lex's showdown with Clark in which he divulges Lois's feelings to an addled, barely conscious Clark, to Henderson's nick of time save.

The only part I didn't like?
I'm thinking that my posting schedule will probably be once per week.
I only have one thing to say to that:
wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy
Lex isn't the only one wielding sharp pointy things.

~C Noetal

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Tank, you are almost as evil as DJ. The whole change of thought between Clark getting axed and Lois getting a haircut is unsettling, to say the least.
Aggh! Clark's axe wound or Lois's pending haircut? Which one is the unkindest cut of all?
rotflol Okay, had to get that out of my system - that was so funny! (Seriously, DJ, I feel sorry for Clark, but I'm not worried about him. This is going to be perhaps a 25-parter, so you are not going to kill off Clark in any of the first parts! And not in any of the last ones, either. Honestly, if you do, that's going to earn you the biggest jawdrop that any fanfic story has ever elicited from me! jawdrop )

Well, I have only a little time right now, so I have no time for quotes. But, well, your story got me thinking about several things... women marrying very rich men, and women turning down very rich men, and women turning down their intended, often rich, men at the altar.

I once heard a story about an American celebrity - a man, of course - who reached his artistic prime during the first half of the twentieth century. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Chaplin? Groucho Marx? No, not someone so clownlike. Scott Fitzgerald? Hemingway? No, someone a little meaner, with a more biting wit. Anyway, imagine the following conversation between this male celebrity and a snotty lady:

Male celebrity: Madam, would you sleep with me for a million dollars?

Snotty lady: Do you really have that kind of money, Sir?

Male celebrity: Certainly. Do I take your answer to my question as a yes?

Snotty lady: Well, hmmmm... I think it might be arranged.

Male celebrity: Madam, would you sleep with me for a hundred dollars?

Snotty lady: Of course not! Insolent man! What do you think I am? A prostitute?

Male celebrity: The fact that you are a prostitute has already been established. Now we are just discussing your rates.

I was told that story in my teens, and ever since then, I've always thought that there is something prostitute-like about women who marry very rich men for their money. Nowadays some of them strike me as... I don't know... pitiful. Anna Nicole Smith... *deep sigh*

I just don't want to think of Lois that way. But you made it very clear, DJ, that Lois didn't primarily agree marry Lex for his money. Even so, it was a pitiful thing to do, because she clung to him like a lifeboat.

I was very surprised to see Ellen support Lois in her decision to cancel the wedding just hours or less before it was supposed to take place. Most selfish mothers in the world would fight tooth and nail to make sure their daughters didn't let go of such a splendid catch. A billionaire! Most eligible bachelor in the world! When the prospect beckons that your daughter might marry a man like that, then who cares if he is a villain? Who cares if he is a murderer? Money and power, here your daughter comes!

(And if a woman who would marry a rich man for his money could be considered a sort of prostitute, then what does that make the woman's mother who is pushing for the marriage? A pimp?)

Like I said, I was definitely very surprised that Ellen would encourage Lois to cancel the wedding, if she wasn't sure of her feelings for Lex. But you made Ellen's reaction believable, DJ. We can't be sure that Ellen is such a bad person. Who is to say that she wouldn't want to fight for what is best for her daughter, not for what would bring herself the most glamour and money? It could well be that because of Ellen's very bad experience of marriage, she might be anxious that her daughter mustn't suffer because of her husband the way she herself has done.

So I'm glad that Lois came to her senses before she had walked all the way to the altar, but at the same time, I think it's a pity that she didn't get the chance to turn down Lex at the very moment when everybody expects her to give him her solemn vows of love and faithfulness. Nothing - nothing - could be more humiliating than being turned down at the altar, and Lex deserves that sort of humiliation. (After all, instead of pledging herself to him in front of a lot of witnesses, in the episode Lois got to turn him down in the most public and painful manner possible. "I, Lois Lane, hereby dis you, Lex Luthor, and promise never to have anything to do with you again...."

And if Lois had turned Lex down at the altar, there would have been a lot of witnesses who could have told Clark that Lois really did say no to Lex in front of the minister and all the guests. Now Clark can't know if Lois really turned Lex down or not. There were no witnesses. Maybe the only reason why she didn't marry him was because the police interrupted the whole affair by attempting to arrest him, and then by killing him? No one except Lois (and Ellen?) can tell Clark what really happened between her and Lex. Will he believe Lois? Or will he still think that she prefers Lex over him?

Hmmmm. I can see that this promises to be an angsty ride. Well, it's a great start and a great premise, DJ!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hmm...DJ. I think I have to agree with everyone who said that once a week isn't enough. This needs to be updated more often than that!

I loved it - I like angsty, waffy stories. They're my favourites. Now, you just need to listen to the little men wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy telling you to post more often. Okay? Look how sharp their spears look! Aren't you scared?

I would quote lots, but like others I think I'd end up quoting the whole part. Plus I really need to work on Part 5 of my story... It's not going to write itself!

Well done, DJ. smile

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
Columnist
Columnist
Wow! really great start! But what a cliffhanger! I don't think I'll be able to hold on for a whole week. When you come back with the next part just look for me at the bottom of the ravine, okay?

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Regarding Ellen; in the first season episode that was used as the basis for this story Ellen Lane did indeed consul Lois to follow her heart, and that it wasn't too late if she had doubts.

This Ellen Lane was played by Phyliss Coates who was the first season Lois Lane on the original Adventures of Superman television series opposite George Reeves. She was played as a caring, classy woman as opposed to the comically neurotic Ellen Lane played by Beverly Garland later in the series.

Tank (who never liked the way the series decided to portray Ellen after season one)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well good morning everyone! Thank you for all this wonderful fdk, and the threats of pointy stick men... they went far in convincing Babbles that she had to post more than once a week. However... I did say that I might post more frequently than once per week, just no promises (it's a nice disclaimer clause). It all depends on how my muse cooperates and how much time my beta reader <hug> has available. But thank you for the threats - they made me feel all warm and fuzzy. :p Heh.

Okay, on to fdk!
Yay Andreia! And yay icons! Just look at all those adorable icons! I've missed them. <g> I love you throwing the villains out with the trash. LOL. Some of your favorite season 1 eps are mine too, Andreia.

quote: Maybe it was just easier to be the one who’s loved than to be the one doing the loving...

I think this paragraph describes Lois's reasoning with perfection. [Thumbsup]
This was a comment Sue made in her beta to me. I thought it made a lot of sense and so I snitched it from her and used it. <g>

You have no idea how I laughed at "Holy Henderson" <snort> Too funny.

Yes, it is the 1st part and a cliffhanger right off the bat. Habit? Why... uh... I don't know what you're talking about. :p Heh - but I'm glad I got your attention.

Thanks for the fdk Andreia and I'll see if I can cajole my muse into posting sooner than a week.

Hi ultragirl! LOL - not evil, just trying to pace myself. smile Okay, maybe a little evil... But oh, look at that sweet praise from you. Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed Lois saying "no" before the alter. I thought it lent more to her character. She was already having doubts in the dressing room (in the ep) we saw her say Clark's name with her own... her mother came in and asked her if she was having doubts... why NOT break it off then? Instead of doggedly going ahead and walking down the isle? Ann mentions in her fdk on down the page that it was what Lex deserved - to be left at the alter... Yes, that was fitting for him, but Lois didn't do it on purpose (in the ep) she didn't know that Lex was evil when she dumped him at the alter - she wasn't purposefully trying to humiliate him... she just finally realized she didn't love him and couldn't go through with it.

And poor Clark! With all this introductory talk of medical jargon, I sure hope you don't put him through the wringer too much DJ.
Uh... no comment. laugh

Thanks ultragirl!

Hi mervoparkite! I'm so glad you liked Lois' pre-wedding introspection. Yay! I was a little worried starting a story off immediately with a bunch of introspection... so I'm glad it worked.

Tank kindly addresses the Ellen Lane issue for me later in his comments. But yes, that actually WAS Ellen Lane speaking. I took the first part of the dialogue (the "It's too late" -- "No it's not! You do what your heart tells you to do") directly from the episode "House of Luthor". I then skewed from there and added to it. <g>

Awww - what a compliment! I was able to make you dislike Lex even more? Wahoo! And a whole ARMY of pointy stick men? Wow! Thanks for the fdk!

Hi Framework4! Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, just what will the police think of that cage and will they find the suit???

Hi Jen! Really? That thought hasn't ever been touched on? Cool! I'm always happy to bring a new thought to the table. smile Thank you for quoting those "random killer lines" - those were a few I liked too. Thanks.

"Oh my God, who are you? Oh that's right, this is just a new level of evil..." <g>
So you said that out loud about me? LOL <snort> Oh, that's funny. And LOL at your recovery period. You know, that axe from the episode was just way to tempting to use... I'm so glad you're ready for a new adventure...hopefully I can deliver. smile

Hi Tank! Angsty moments... yes, that's what I'm trying for. LOL at twice a week. Hmmm, I'm thinking posts will range anywhere from 4-7 days but thank you for the enthusiasm. <g> And of course laughing at the haircut - I wouldn't expect any less from you Tank. smile And thank you for addressing the "Ellen issue" in your later comments. Ellen genuinely didn't want Lois to marry Lex if her heart was telling her not too. I really liked that Ellen. However, I think even the neurotic Ellen of later seasons wouldn't have wanted Lois to marry Lex if it didn't feel right - basically because I don't think she wanted Lois to get married at all. That Ellen was very distrustful of men period. <shrug> Thanks Tank!

LOL Elisabeth! Me evil? Oooooh, I love your comments about Superman changing into Clark. Here's my story, and I'm sticking with it... I read someone's thought/opinion once that what Clark does with his clothes when he changes into Superman, is he uses his strength to crush/compact/perhaps vacuum pack, his clothes down to a very small little package and he then tucks it away ... um ... wherever it is that he also would tuck things away like Lois's engagement ring, when he suddenly produces it from behind his back. Maybe there's a pouch (hip pack - LOL) behind his back and under that cape <snort> Anyway, it wouldn't take any 'super' strength to change back into his regular clothes (as long as he had them with him) it would probably be a lot harder to change into his suit, if the situation were reversed...

Anyway, I had to laugh out loud at the image of Clark running around the wine cellar naked - thanks for that. <g> And glad you are enjoying it. <g> Tell your daughter thanks for the face.

Hi Laura S! Thank you! I'm glad you think it looks fantastic. You're a sucker for Clark getting hurt, huh? Well, you just may be in for a treat... <whistles innocently>.... Yes, don't we all hope Lois comes to her senses... and that Clark isn't a lunkhead... I mean that's all we can really hope for, right? <g> Thanks for the fdk!

Hi Terry! ROTFLOL! Yes, which is the unkindest "cut" - hah, too funny.

Very nice twist on the episode, DJ. You are, indeed, most adept at the cliffhanger chapter breaks, but as Tank once pointed out, that's one of the things that bring FOLCs back to your story.
blush Awwwwwww! Thanks Terry!

Hmmm.... all very good questions. We shall see, won't we? smile And yes, I hope to provide a WAFFy-angsty story. I'll let you all be the judges of that. Thanks Terry!

LOL C. Noetal!!! Have you seen that Mike Myers movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer?" That was what came to my mind at your first comment. Ha ha.

"Ichorous Evil" Ooooh, what a cool adjective. Heh. I was already giggling a little at that, but then when you said "hatcheted Clark" I had to laugh out loud. goofy Thanks for the fdk!

Thanks again Tank for championing my angle on Ellen. I was beginning to wonder if everyone had forgotten how she told Lois it wasn't too late and to go with what her heart was telling her. <g>

Thanks again so much for the fdk everyone! I'm so glad you are all enjoying it. And thanks for the, uh, pointy stick men (I think) Wow! That was a lot of them. I just may post early yet... you never know about me. goofy

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Kerth
Kerth
Ah ha ha! You posted it! I was sure that I could shame you into doing it. laugh

DJ has about four stories in various stages of being written. A couple are just "thoughts", one is sketched out and then there was this one. I was really excited when she first started talking to me about it and (despite what she thinks) my enthusiasm has never lessened. Sometimes you just need/want/gotta have a long, angsty, WAFFy read. This story has that. I love the setup, love that Henderson gets to be a hero, love that Lois has come to her senses (but is it too late?!?) - love the whole story idea.

Just so you all know, I have through part six. And I can be bribed. dance

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just so you all know, I have through part six. And I can be bribed.
I can make you a pin with ANYTHING you want on it. lol

~Jojo, who loved the chapter and is going to come back today with some real fdk.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Merriwether
Merriwether
Great opening, DJ. A day with a new story part from you or Sue is a good day indeed.

As for these wildguy wildguy wildguy , why should you be afraid when you have those chainsaw guys. No, if I was going to "impress" you to post sooner, I'd sent guys with Uzis. So consider yourself warned.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Kerth
Kerth
This has slowly sent me over the edge the whole darn day:
I once heard a story about an American celebrity - a man, of course - who reached his artistic prime during the first half of the twentieth century. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Chaplin? Groucho Marx? No, not someone so clownlike.
You had it right the second time, Ann. I'm 99.9% certain that it was Groucho Marx.

<deep breath> I can quit obsessing now.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm hooked, totally and completly hooked. A story set in HoL and stuffed with angst, be still my beating heart. If this is just the first part I can't wait to see how the rest of the story turns out. If you intend me to keep what little sanity I have left please update more than once a week because the suspense might just kill me.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard