Part 25
There's Always Something

By Xanabee

“Well, people, that was quite a show!”

With a pleased smile on his lips Perry White turned to look at Gareth Keyes and Bill Henderson as they followed him into the Daily Planet conference room. The three men had just returned from an early morning press conference at City Hall. The Mayor, aided by the Commissioner, had visibly enjoyed answering the barrage of questions from the assembled members of the press.

“I’ve never seen such a packed room before,” Gareth commented as he sat down next to Bill. “The Mayor and the Commissioner looked as pleased as punch.”

“Hah! No wonder! They got a lot of credit for nabbing Mindy Church, while Bill here did all the work.”

“No, Perry, ‘we’ did all the work. You, Gareth, Lois and Clark: you’ve all played a part in my ‘Operation Mindy’ team – and that also includes Superman, Dr. Klein and Detective Jenny Hudson.”

“Superman was incredible.” Gareth’s voice was full of awe. “Bill, disguising a film camera in that cabin was a stroke of genius. It sure blew my mind - you could hear a penny drop when that film was shown.”

“That piece of film will be shown all over the world, Bill; I bet it’s on TV right now. Great shades of Elvis! Looking at Superman lying on that cabin floor, groaning in pain while that witch was pointing the Kryptonite at him - even though I knew that stone wasn’t the real thing, it gave me goosebumps.”

“I know what you mean, Perry. I’d seen that footage a few times before, but even I was holding my breath,” Bill admitted. “On that big screen it looked impressive.”

“On TV it looks impressive too, Bill.” A soft, feminine voice wafted into the room.

The three men turned their heads in the direction of the sound to see a smiling Lois enter the conference room, closely followed by Clark who carefully shut the door behind them.

“Ah – Lois, Clark - there you are! Too bad you couldn’t attend the press conference, kids, it was quite a show.”

“We know – it’s already on TV, Chief.” Clark grinned. “The streets are practically deserted – people are glued to their TV sets.”

“Well, I’m glad I wasn’t there,” Lois said firmly, “Those reporters practically crushed each other dead, trying to get as close to the stage as possible. And that stampede to get out of the door when it was all over! I hope no one got hurt.”

“I don’t think so,” Gareth grinned, “We’re all in one piece, as you can see. You two missed a great show.”

“My doctor’s appointment was more important, Gareth. And Clark wants to be there, whenever I need a check-up.”

“And so he should! Lois, you look radiant; I can see for myself that everything’s all right with you and the baby.”

“Couldn’t be better – Lois is healthy and the baby is developing just as she should.” Clark beamed at his friend, “And your little girl, Gareth? How’s she doing?”

“Hey! Cut that out, guys!” Perry’s booming voice prevented Gareth from answering; he fixed the two men with a piercing look. “You can talk about your babies as much as you like, but don’t do it in here, okay?”

“Okay,” Clark and Gareth echoed, both grinning unrepentantly.

Lois rolled her eyes. “Chief, they’re hopeless. They give new meaning to the phrase ‘doting fathers’. Just ignore them.”

“Darlin’, I don’t need to hear any specifics about your check-up and neither does Bill – right, inspector?”

“Right.” Bill grinned. “Spare me the details, Lane. Let’s get back to the subject, okay, guys?”

“We’ll be good,” Gareth laughed, “No more baby talk. But seriously, Clark – I’m sorry you missed the conference; it was so exciting. When the film was over, Superman flew in with Dr. Klein and you should’ve seen those reporters - they went crazy when the good doctor waved that piece of green rock in front of Superman, demonstrating that Kryptonite doesn’t affect him anymore. I was nearly blinded by all those flashbulbs going off.”

“Let’s hope that Klein’s performance will convince those criminals out there that he’s really developed a vaccine that makes Superman immune to Kryptonite.” Bill said slowly, “We owe it to the Man of Steel to try and get rid of that mineral. Who knows how many pieces are still out there. Only Klein, and the five of us, know the truth: exposure to Kryptonite is extremely dangerous to Superman and could even kill him. Klein is still trying to find an antidote.”

“This is a secret we’ll have to guard with our lives.” Perry said gruffly.

“I know!” Gareth said fervently, “The world owes so much to Superman. He tries to help, whenever and wherever he can. He tries so hard to keep us safe and we’ll have to do our best to keep him safe, too. With him around, maybe we’ll be able to build a better world for our children.”

“There you go again, son - talkin’ about children again.”

But Perry was smiling as he looked at Lois, who smiled mistily back at him. She sat close beside Clark, his right arm draped around her shoulders, his left hand clasped between her own and pressed against her breast. Clark, moved by the declarations of his friends, briefly buried his face in Lois’s hair. At the sound of Perry’s voice he lifted his head and turned to face the Chief.

“Lois, darlin’, it was your idea – it was you who’d suggested that Superman and Dr. Klein put up this little charade; that was a stroke of genius. Now all we can do is hope that Dr. Klein’s request to the public will be successful.”

“What request?” Lois asked.

“Something that wasn’t in your script, Lois,” Bill grinned at her, “Klein just thought that if people could be persuaded to send him every piece of green rock they find or already have in their possession, then that might take a lot of Kryptonite out of circulation. He explained that he’s preparing an exhibit about Superman and until that is ready, the Kryptonite will be kept in the rock collection at STAR Labs.”

“I thought you said you watched it all on TV, Lois,” Gareth said, “Did you miss that last part?”

“I didn’t see and hear everything – just caught some bits and pieces,” Lois said truthfully. While Clark had been at the press conference as Superman she’d stayed at home to wait till he’d come back. To explain her and Clark’s absence she’d asked Perry to tell the others that she had a doctor’s appointment. She’d taken a leisurely long, hot bath and had only switched on the TV set when she’d sat down to eat her breakfast.

“Chief, you’ve got it all on tape – could we have a copy? I’d like to watch it all, not just some reruns on TV.”

“Sure – ask Jimmy. He put Winston Halliday in charge of recording the whole press conference; for storage in that new sound and visual’s archive he’s setting up.”

“Where’s Jimmy? He wasn’t at his desk when we walked in.”

“He’s busy selecting pictures for tonight’s special edition, Lois. He and David both covered the conference. Jimmy worked near the stage and David took pictures from the back of the room.”

“I had two photographers on the job too.” Gareth looked at his watch and stood up. “I’d better go – I’ve got a report to write.”

“So do I – I’ve got an early deadline for this evening special and the regular morning edition needs my attention, too.” Perry glanced at the clock against the wall of the conference room. “Let’s go, people, there’s work to do. Gareth, when will that transition of your evening paper to weekly magazine be ready? I want this daily competition from ‘The Sentinel’ off the streets a.s.a.p.”

Gareth laughed, then sobered. “I’m not sure – first I’ll have to help my father to deal with what happened to John. But I’m working on it.”

“I take it your first issue won’t feature a travel story on St. Cyr,” Bill remarked, “I’m glad we could talk you out of that harebrained idea of yours. Remember? You and Clark here wanted to ask Superman to fly you to that island to snoop around; to try and find out more about Mindy Church.”

“Yeah, that was a bad idea.” Clark admitted. “I’m glad you didn’t go, Gareth. At least now you don’t have to think that you’re to blame for John Kincaid’s death. Your father’s butler was killed because Mindy wanted to get rid of Lois and me and Superman. So in a way, we’re to blame for what happened. I can’t tell you how sorry we are.”

“Clark, I don’t blame any of you - it’s not your fault! Lois was dead set against my going to St. Cyr too, remember? And she’s the one who spotted the Kryptonite tie-pin on Bertram Bates.“

“Billy Bob Travis – that’s his real name – Billy Bob Travis.”

“I know, Bill, it’s just - he’s worked for my father under his other name; I guess he’ll always be ‘Bertram Bates’ to me. I still break out in a cold sweat when I think about what that man could’ve done if he’d lived with us longer – he might’ve hurt my father and my wife and kids, too.” Gareth shuddered, “I’m very grateful to you, Lois, for realizing that it was Kryptonite in that tie-pin.”

“I agree with Gareth here,” Bill looked at Lois with a glint of admiration in his eyes. “You were the first one who suspected that Mindy Church could be involved in that construction fraud. And it was you who figured out how to trap her into coming to Metropolis. Too bad you’re a reporter, Lois – sure you don’t want to join my team? You’d make a fine detective.”

“The best!” Clark said proudly while Perry loudly protested, “Hey! Lois is not interested in your job offer, Henderson. She’s a detective already; that’s what investigative reporters do, you know – they investigate!”

“Lois, this is getting out of control - we’ve got to do something to stop this!”

Dismayed, Clark stared at the notice from the post office, begging him to please tell Superman to pick up his stuff a.s.a.p. They were running out of space again and fan mail and presents for the superhero were still pouring in from all over the world.

“That’s what happens when you give an Oscar-winning performance, sweetheart,” Lois said teasingly. “And not only that – you wrote about it so vividly, telling the public how trashing about on that filthy cabin floor ruined Superman’s suit.”

“It wasn’t ruined, Lois, it just got very dirty. Anyway, that doesn’t mean they have to send me thousands and thousands of yards of colored Spandex! Our closets are overflowing with the stuff and so are my Mom’s.”

“And the storage rooms at the post office are full, apparently.” Lois grinned and patted Clark’s chest consolingly. “You now have enough material to last you a lifetime, Flyboy. Tell you what – we’ll call Perry and ask him to put an ad on tomorrow’s front page: a final and urgent plea from Superman to his admirers to please stop sending more Spandex.”

Clark sighed. “It won’t work, Lois. Superman’s already repeatedly said so on television, remember?”

“Well…” Lois said pensively. “You could try taking a more drastic approach. I bet the postal services will be happy to help. Maybe they could inform the public that any package containing Spandex, addressed to Superman, will be rejected and promptly returned. How’s that?”

Clark looked doubtful. “Is that legal? Could post offices really refuse to deliver mail?”

Lois shrugged. “I don’t know… but I’m sure City Hall would be more than willing to impose some temporary legislation. The Mayor and the Governor will be happy to help you out, Clark. They’re so grateful to us for having solved that construction racket by catching Mindy Church and those corrupt civil servants who were helping her.”

“I guess… but I don’t think I’d want to hurt Superman’s fans, honey, specially the kids. We’ll have to come up with something else. I mean, refusing to accept their gifts - they’d never understand.”

“You’re right – imagine having your Spandex returned. How disappointing!” Lois grinned. “But I still think City Hall should help out – they owe you, Clark. We’ll think of something, but let’s do that tomorrow, okay? I’m so glad we could go home at a decent time today. Clark, this is our first free evening since the story about Mindy’s arrest hit the news – and that was two weeks ago.”

“I know, honey, and we’ll make the most of it - the Spandex problem can wait.”

Clark tossed the mail on the coffee table and walked towards Lois. He wrapped his arms around her and beamed as he looked down at the bulge that prevented their bodies to touch more intimately.

“She’s really grown, hasn’t she? Only six more weeks to go, honey.”

“Only six more weeks?!” Lois rolled her eyes. “Six whole weeks and maybe more, Clark! First babies are often late, you know. I don’t want her to be born too soon, like Charlotte Keyes, but frankly, I’m more than ready for her to come out.”

“I know – I can’t wait either! And talking about Gareth’s baby – I’m really looking forward to attending her christening this Sunday. His mother is traveling from Australia to LA tomorrow and Glenda’s parents will join her at the airport. They’re traveling together on the same flight to Metropolis. Did you know that Glenda has two older sisters and a younger brother? They’re coming too and taking their kids along.”

“I know - her sisters both have two and her brother has three kids already. Quite a tribe, huh? And before you ask how I know – your Mom told me. She’s rather chummy with Glenda these days.”

Clark grinned. “I know! Glenda comes from a big family herself, but here in Metropolis she has only Gareth and his father to support her. That’s why she enjoys talking to my Mom sometimes. You don’t mind, do you, honey?”

“No, of course not! I know your parents will always put you and me first. Anyway, your Mom and Dad are thrilled that they were invited too.”

“It’s going to be a big shindig, Lois. That’s why it will be held at Gordon’s mansion – he’s got enough space in that house to put up an army. By the way, Gareth’s hired a clown to entertain the kids. It’s that girl who performs at hospitals for sick children.”

“The one who likes to include Superman in her act whenever you’re there too? That’s great! Her acts are really funny – the kids will love her. You never told me she could be hired for parties.”

“That’s how she makes a living, Lois, I thought you knew. She performs for free at hospitals and sometimes at the orphanage too. Gareth and Glenda met her during those weeks that their daughter had to stay at the General.”

Clark bowed his head and kissed the tip of Lois’s nose. “Mmm… here I am, holding the two most beautiful girls in the world in my arms, and what am I doing? Talking! While I should be doing this... and this... and this...”

Lois chuckled softly, winding her arms around his neck, while Clark placed tender little kisses on her face, working his way from her temple to her jaw. Just when he’d reached the corner of her lips Clark lifted his head, listening intently. He sighed as he reluctantly let go of Lois and stepped back to spin into the Suit.

“Gotta go, honey… sounds like there’s an explosion at the harbor.”

With a ‘whoosh’ Clark was gone and Lois sighed resignedly. She’d change into something comfortable she decided, then make some calls until Clark came back. At least they didn’t have to worry about dinner – Martha had called them earlier at the Planet to tell them she’d left a casserole in the oven.

As Lois slowly floated upstairs she thought about the indomitable Martha and Jonathan Kent and their surprisingly smooth transition into busy city life. Martha’s pie baking business was flourishing and Jonathan had just recently landed a paying job where he would be able to use his farming skills.

After his father had expressed his desire to get involved in volunteer work - preferably with children - Clark had introduced Jonathan to millionaire William B. Caldwell, benefactor of the city’s orphanage and a loyal friend of Superman.

Will Caldwell told Jonathan he’d been contemplating setting up a new educational project for ‘his kids’. He wanted to create a small scale farm on a piece of land on the outskirts of Metropolis, where orphans who were interested in country life could get acquainted with and learn to take care of small animals. He also wanted to give them the opportunity to learn simple farming skills.

During their meeting the businessman had liked Jonathan’s suggestions so much he’d offered him the job of managing the plant and Jonathan was now busy discussing the layout of the grounds with the construction company that was going to build and set up the farm. One of the perks of his new job included the use of a company car and Lois smiled as she recalled the delighted grin on Jonathan’s face when he’d showed his brand new pick up to his family.

It’s amazing, Lois thought, how energetic and resilient Clark’s parents were. On top of their busy schedules they had even made time to take Eric and Simon Keyes under their wings when their nanny had suddenly quit and gone back to her family in Australia – just when their parents and grandfather were busy arranging John Kincaid’s burial and taking care of the settlement of the affairs of their murdered butler and friend.

Martha and Jonathan had immediately offered to take care of the boys until Glenda Keyes had found a new nanny. Initially, Eric and Simon had been ecstatic - staying over at uncle ‘Jo-than’ and auntie Martha’s was quite an adventure. Auntie Martha’s cookies were delicious and uncle ‘Jo-than’ knew so many fascinating stories and their daddy had come over every day to check upon them.

Four days later, when Jonathan was out with the boys, their mommy had unexpectedly turned up on Martha’s doorstep. When the boys had come back they’d found their mother waiting for them in auntie Martha’s kitchen, their baby sister nowhere in sight. Daddy was taking care of the baby today, their mommy told them, so she could visit them and tell them how much she loved them and missed them.

Eric and Simon had clung to their mommy and happily returned home with her – promising Martha and Jonathan that they would soon come back for a visit.

After they’d finally been permitted to take their baby home Glenda Keyes had been so focused on her fragile little girl that she’d unintentionally neglected the boys. She’d only fully realized that, she’d confessed tearfully to Martha, when Gareth had returned home the previous evening and casually told her that the boys hadn’t even asked after her. They’d apparently grown used to the image of their mother; too busy taking care of their little sister to be bothered by them.

“You know, Lois,” Martha had said later that evening when Clark and Lois had come over for dinner, “Glenda fell into one of those classic parent traps – getting too involved and obsessed with one child. Those mothers don’t realize that their other kids need them just as much as the problem child - usually a handicapped kid.”

“But that’s not the case here,” Clark had interrupted his mother, “The baby’s still a bit tiny, Gareth says, but otherwise perfectly healthy. The doctors are very pleased with her progress.”

“Fortunately there’s nothing wrong with that child, Clark, and it was high time Glenda got a reality check. Gareth told me he was getting worried about her, so I told him to tell her that the boys had all but forgotten her.”

“That was cruel, Mom!” Clark had protested.

“It worked,” Martha had said calmly, “And of course it’s not true – the boys were constantly talking about their mommy. Simon woke up in the middle of the night, calling for her.”

Lois had followed Jonathan’s lead and wisely refrained from getting involved in the argument that had followed between her tenderhearted husband and his no-nonsense mother.

Before they’d returned to their own home, mother and son had made their peace, but not before Clark had added, “Please don’t ever say something mean like that to Lois, Mom!”

Martha had winked at Lois before having the last say, “With Lois we’ll nip it in the bud, honey, we won’t let her flounder like that.”

No, Lois thought, Clark’s mom wouldn’t let her flounder and neither would her own mother. She briefly wondered if Martha and Ellen wouldn’t be too overbearing; she suspected she’d have to take care not to let ‘the two moms’ - as Clark had dubbed them - completely take over their daughter’s upbringing.

Having their parents living so close by would undoubtedly cause some conflicts from time to time, Lois acknowledged, but even so she much preferred her present, close-knit family situation compared to that of Glenda’s. And, Lois thought, it would be perfect if Lucy would come back to live in Metropolis, now that she had finally agreed to marry Lucas.

Lois smiled as she recalled the frantic email messages she’d received from her sister, the day after Lucy and Lucas had left Metropolis after their surprise visit.

<Sis! You won’t believe what Lucas did. He asked me to marry him!>

< Lucy, that’s great! You did say yes, didn’t you?>

< Of course not!>

<What do you mean, of course not? You love Lucas, you told me so.>

<Everything was going so well, Lois. Why did he have to spoil it by bringing up marriage?>

< Don’t tell me you’re still not sure - not after two years of living together with him! Get another zip code if you don’t want a future with the man, Lucy.>

<Lois, I can’t get married. I know nothing about being a wife!>

<Hello! Earth to Lucy Lane! Here’s a newsflash for you – you’ve been a ‘wife’ for the last two years – or haven’t you noticed? Lucas sure has!>

<Well, if you put it like that, Lois. But he proposed in the plane and everybody around us heard him. They even applauded! I was so embarrassed I didn’t know what to say and then Lucas was disappointed because I refused to say anything. And before we got home we both were angry and now he’s walking around with this injured look on his face, Lois, and I don’t know what to do!>

Lois had rolled her eyes at that and grabbed the phone. She’d come straight to the point as soon as Lucy got on the line.

“Is it that what’s bothering you, Lucy? That Lucas proposed on the plane? Not romantic enough for you, huh?”

“Well, that would’ve been nice – and probably a lot more private!”

“If romance is what you want, Lucy, then do it yourself.”

“Me? Do what?”

“Don’t act dense with me, Lucy. Think about it – if you propose to Lucas you can make the setting as romantic as you like. He’ll love you all the more for it, trust me. Clark was over the moon when I – “

“You!? Lois, come on, you didn’t propose to Clark. Stop making fun of me, okay, this is a serious problem and you – “

“ – did propose to Clark, Lucy, really, I did! In Centennial Park, at the fountain. I even went down on my knees. You can check with Clark if you don’t believe me. Do you want me to put him on the line? Lucy? Luce… yoohoo! Are you still there?”

“I’m – geez – Lois! You never – you didn’t – I mean, gosh! Really?”

“Yep! While you were in that plane, did Lucas show you a ring?”

“Yes… it took my breath away, Lois, it’s beautiful.”

“That means he’s been walking around with that ring in his pocket for some time now, trying to summon up enough courage to ask you.”

“You think?”

“Umm… how do you think it got into his pocket, Lucy? Do you know where that ring is now?”

“Yes, he keeps it in one of his drawers in the bedroom. Between his socks!”

Lois grinned as she recalled the peeved tone in Lucy’s voice when she’d said that. She lifted her head, listening. Good, Clark was back. She wrinkled her nose as a pungent, smoke-filled scent wafted into the room when Clark ‘whooshed’ past her into the bathroom, calling out to her, “Sorry honey – I’ll take a shower as soon as I’ve put the suit into the washing machine.”

“Okay, take your time. I’m going downstairs to turn the oven on and we’ll eat when you’re ready.”

“Oh, great! I’m starving!”

“Me too… see you downstairs… ’Pom-pom-pah-pom… pom-pom-pah-pom’…”

Clark, freshly showered, grinned when he came into the kitchen a few minutes later.

“’Pom-pom-pah-pom’, Lois? You’re humming the wedding march again? Let me guess – you talked to Lucy when I was gone, right?”

“I didn’t get a chance to make any calls, Flyboy, you weren’t gone that long.” Lois grinned back at Clark while she finished setting the table. “Was it bad – the explosion? I didn’t feel like turning on the TV, so I don’t know what happened.”

“I’m not sure what caused the explosion; the firemen were still busy when I left. Anna Johnston’s Dad was in charge and he says it’s a gas leak, most probably. It happened not far from Jimmy’s new photo studio, in that new section east of the harbor. Nobody lives there yet so no one got hurt – but three of those buildings have been damaged pretty badly.”

“Hmm… those houses were built by Mindy Church’s Belltower Construction Company, right? Didn’t the Mayor say the City’s going to give that project a major inspection?”

“Yeah, they’ve already started. I hope for Jimmy’s sake that his block passes the inspections; all his savings are invested in that studio.”

The oven went ‘ping’ and Clark deftly removed the casserole and placed it on the table.

“Mmm… this moussaka looks good, honey. It’s one of my favorites. We’ll call Mom and tell her she’s welcome to leave casseroles in our oven any time. By the way, were you planning to call Lucy?”

“No, not really. I was just thinking about her, that’s all. Don’t worry, I won’t pester her again about moving to Metropolis.”

“She has to make up her own mind about that, Lois. Lucas told me he’s all for it, so maybe he’ll be able to persuade Lucy. Especially now that they’re seriously considering setting up their own advertising agency - might be easier here than in California.”

“Could be – anyway, Lucy refuses to discuss it with me.”

“I can’t deal with so many major decisions at once, Lois,” Lucy had protested when she’d called Lois to tell her that she and Lucas had chosen the 25th of March as their wedding date.

When Lois had asked why they didn’t get married sooner, Lucy had snorted and said, “No offense, Sis, but if we get married while you’re still pregnant, it would be just like you to go into labor during the ceremony. Are you sure my niece will arrive around Christmas? You’ll be able to bring her along by the time I get married, right?”

Lois had tried to persuade Lucy to get married in Metropolis but her sister had been adamant; her mother was welcome to attend the wedding, but no way was she, Lucy, going to allow Ellen to arrange it for her. Lois, remembering Ellen going overboard while planning her wedding, had agreed that maybe Lucy was right.

To Lois’s surprise, her mother had just shrugged when she’d been told that Lucy and Lucas were planning to hold a small, intimate ceremony with only their closest family members and friends present. Ellen was so relieved that Lucy had finally decided to marry Lucas that she didn’t care where and how her youngest daughter got married - she was just happy that Lucy was finally going to tie the knot.

“It’s nice of Lucy to postpone the marriage until March - it will be fun to take the baby to California. Mother says three months is old enough for babies to travel on a plane. And the best part is, we’ll be flying with you. Clark, the hard part will be choosing a wedding present. Lucy says she doesn’t have a list – that’s so annoying! How are we supposed to know what they want or need?”

“You could maybe ask Lucas? Anyway, we have lots of time to figure that out, Lois, but right now we have to come up with something for Gareth’s baby. What kind of presents do people give for a christening?”

“I have no idea! Mmmm… your Mom’s casserole’s simply delicious, Clark. What did you say it was?”

“Moussaka – it’s Greek.”

“How come you never cook anything like this? Ask her the recipe.”

“Moussaka’s very easy to prepare, Lois. Why don’t you ask Mom to show you how it’s done?” Clark said teasingly and chuckled when Lois took the bait.

“Oh please – not that again; Lane women don’t cook, Clark, you know that. I’ll leave the cooking to you and your Mom, thank you very much. Oh well - maybe your Mom will know what kind of present is appropriate for a christening… I’ll ask her… Mmmm… this is so delicious… there’s eggplant in there, I never eat eggplant, but this is… Clark, why are you looking at me like that? C’mon - I look like a balloon! How can you still look at me as if I’m a fairy tale princess? You’re hopeless!”

“I know!” Clark grinned happily, “And as soon as you’ve eaten your moussaka I’m taking you upstairs. I’m going to make love to you until you beg for mercy - how’s that?”

“Promises… promises…”

(Tbc)

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!