Next Thread
Print Thread
#42027 04/14/07 04:59 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just caught up again.

thumbsup

I was thinking/hoping Cat would stay underground with them, but Washington does make more sense and I'm eager to see what happens on the politician front.

Yay for Jack joining! clap

And its' nice to see big tuff boxer-man learning to appreciate Supes. laugh

More please! notworthy

~•~
#42028 04/15/07 03:57 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Phillip added Luthor and his known associates to the list of people for Eugene's program to watch.
That ought to keep them busy.

Given that it was the night before Luthor's wedding, the odd request had sparked off a series of wild speculations.
I bet. blush

It was disturbing, and, in a way, almost embarrassing, as if I'd intruded on something private, something I wasn't supposed to see.
Poignant.

It was amazing. Even in his condition, he was still fighting. I knew a lot of people who wouldn't have had nearly that much willpower. It made me pause. Maybe things weren't always as easy for him as it seemed. Strength of will is like any other kind.
The respect builds. It helps that Tommy fancies himself working on the same team. This is something altogether different, though.

We talked about it, and, all things considered, decided to take him in. We'd seen his work, and he was obviously capable of keeping a secret. With us, he'd have a home, food, something to do, and the opportunity to help his hero from time to time. He was quick to take us up on the offer.
I'm glad they have the opportunity to talk about it this time. I believe that Jack is a good choice--trustworthy & proven with a decided investment already in the protection of Superman. The group does seem to be getting large, though, for such a big secret. (Just an off thought, but I'm surprised professional soldiers wouldn't notice goo coming from nowhere.)

It's nice to see something good come to Bibbo, as well.

Elisabeth
who is really, really enjoying the story and doesn't mean to be so picky

#42029 04/15/07 07:24 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
It was a difficult scene to grasp. This was Superman. The Man of Steel. Hero to the world. A man capable of doing or surviving just about anything you could imagine, generally without breaking a sweat. I wasn't his biggest fan, but seeing him like this — weak, pained, brought low — it affected me more than I would have ever expected. It was wrong. Profoundly wrong. On every level. He was supposed to be flying above us, not trapped down here, barely able to hold his head off the floor. It was disturbing, and, in a way, almost embarrassing, as if I'd intruded on something private, something I wasn't supposed to see.
I love, love, love this. It really gets me, right in the heart. mecry It's heartbreaking to think anyone else witnessed Clark in the cage - can't properly explain why now, but it just is. And I love that we get this reaction from Tommy.

They helped him find a place to rest, away from the cage and out of sight. It seemed to help. Alan told us later that water is good at deflecting radiation. The wine inside the huge casks he was hiding behind had most likely shielded him from the worst of the Kryptonite's effects.
Very clever!

Once Clark and the girls were clear of the room, Dudley and I set about dismantling the cage. We took it out in pieces and brought them over to the Fortress to keep them out of the wrong hands until we figured out how to dispose of them.
This here reminds me one of the reasons I love this story so much - that it takes care of those pieces that don't quite fit and those behind the scenes things that we're always left wondering about. This bit and the getting of the key. Makes me realize how brilliant you are to have done this. Really, the plotting all throughout - the information network and having the invisible suits - without *everything* in its place, they wouldn't have been able to help. It's just so seamless, fitting in with the series, and that's why it stands out as right up there with CC's In a Better Place. It just fits. smile

We never did find out where he'd kept his other clothes.
LOL! And after all that, we still don't find out what happens to the clothes. But that's just one of those mysteries that we're never supposed to find out. wink

I went back to the sewers, smiling at having done something right.
Maybe I'm just in a sappy mood, but this line made me tear up a little - those happy, proud tears. smile

Sorry I'm only peeking in occasionally, Paul! frown But I do want to keep reminding you how much I love this story (and that it's on my nominations list for several, definitely including Best Overall). notworthy

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#42030 04/15/07 07:56 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
dance Woo-hoo! Someone else who appreciates Bibbo and the Ace O'Clubs! *G*

I can't write him well enough to do him justice, but he is one of my favorite characters from TAS, and he's pretty fun in the comics, too.

I tried to stay as true to the comics as I could with him, while remaining entirely within L&C canon. So, there you are. Bibbo, the well-meaning if sometimes clueless dockworker. The bar, springing from Bibbo winning the lottery and somehow thinking it was a good way to "give back to the community."

I did my best.

Glad to have at least one FoLC who can appreciate it. laugh

Anyway, moving on...

Nice to see the reactions to Jack joining and to Tommy watching Supes in the cage.

The group does seem to be getting large, though, for such a big secret.
It does have a growing membership, with more to come, but that's why they're so careful about whom they'll recruit and who gets to know how much.

Other than that, I'd like to think that it's a cause that inspires loyalty.

Just an off thought, but I'm surprised professional soldiers wouldn't notice goo coming from nowhere.
Oh, they noticed. They just didn't know what to do about it. Not much they could do about it once they were immobilized. And, of course, you had Tommy right there, visible, and an obvious threat. Does that make sense, or do I need to edit and clarify somehow?

who is really, really enjoying the story and doesn't mean to be so picky
Glad to hear it, and I do appreciate the constructive criticism.

This here reminds me one of the reasons I love this story so much - that it takes care of those pieces that don't quite fit and those behind the scenes things that we're always left wondering about.
Yeah, that was one of the coolest aspects of it for me, too. smile

and that's why it stands out as right up there with CC's In a Better Place.
Wow. Now that is saying quite a lot. Thank you! blush

LOL! And after all that, we still don't find out what happens to the clothes. But that's just one of those mysteries that we're never supposed to find out. [Wink]
*G* Indeed. Somethings, not even the Shadows know.

Maybe I'm just in a sappy mood, but this line made me tear up a little - those happy, proud tears. [Smile]
Awww. smile

Sorry I'm only peeking in occasionally, Paul! [Frown]
Hey, I appreciate whatever comments you have! And it's not like I didn't get lots of them from you when you were BRing the thing!

But I do want to keep reminding you how much I love this story (and that it's on my nominations list for several, definitely including Best Overall). [Notworthy]
Wow! Thanks again! I don't know what else to say... blush

Except, of course, for:

Next part coming right up!

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#42031 04/16/07 01:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The thing that impresses me so much about this fic is how amazingly comprehensive it is.

This huge overlaying theme that stretches across the entire series, and it's filled-in with precise detailed care.

I can't even begin to imagine writing something like this! (though I totally appreciate Sara's comparison!! sloppy )

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#42032 04/17/07 06:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I can't control what I write, but I'll take any compliments you have on how I write it. Coming as they do from one of my favorite writers (in the fandom or not), yours mean a lot. blush So... thanks!

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard