Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41951 04/12/07 02:52 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
It was absolutely evil to leave us hanging here! You can redeem yourself by posting part 3 very soon! wildguy

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#41952 04/12/07 03:00 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
awww!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#41953 04/12/07 03:41 PM
Columnist
Columnist
How sad! Poor Lois. Hurry back and post part 3 soon!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#41954 04/12/07 03:52 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I know he's not dead, but... mecry Poor Lois! Twisted as it may be, I always like seeing her distraught over Clark, and you do it so well! Hope to see the rest soon!

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#41955 04/12/07 04:56 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"How many..." he started to reply when the quiet of the woods was shattered by two things. The first was the slam of the door to the house. And the second was the unmistakable opening notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.
Attention! We are interrupting the Waff Blanket to bring you a necessary plot announcement.

"I'm Lois Lane," she said confidently. "Tell Lex his fiancee is here to see him."
Okay, this could easily be a genius idea or just her worst plan ever...let's see which one happens!

Lois came through the door, his name on her lips, just as Nigel pulled the trigger. Clark caught a glimpse of the horrified expression on her face as he spun around. He tipped over the railing and dropped into the ravine below.
Uh, definitely her worst plan ever. Good thing he's an alien... Oooh, do you know how morbid that could have been if Clark was close enough for an accidental Kryptonite exposure?

If only she could have last night back. She would have stayed in his arms all night.
Talk about your crowning sad and utterly depressing line of the night! whinging That's so Fray.

I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#41956 04/12/07 08:43 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Don't know why I'm finding this so funny....

"So have you ever been to Paris?" Lois asked when the hum of the road began to feel endless.

"France?"

"No, Texas. Of course, France." She glared at the distance between them and the SUV. Would it kill him to speed up, just a little?

"I've been to Paris in France, in Texas and in Idaho."
I suppose I like it so much because I can't get over the fact that there's supposed to be a Malmö (probably spelled Malmo, though) somewhere in the U.S.A.

"Lex killed her. She thought he was in love with her and he killed her. They'd even talked about marriage. When it came right down to it, though, she was just a means to an end for him.
And Lex said he was in love with Lois, too. Wonder what plans he really had for her? (And Bender, poor fool, thought he worked for Lex. Actually, Bender, you did.)

Do you know what Mrs. Cox said was behind Lex's love for me?"

Clark shook his head - he didn't even want to guess.

"Superman," Lois said softly. "He thought that Superman was in love with me. That I was his weakness and he could use me to control Superman."
And maybe there was another thing, too - whatever Superman can have, Lex wants to prove that he can snatch away from Superman right in front of Superman's eyes.

"I was seduced by him, I guess. Suddenly everything was possible. I really could have the world, if I wanted it. Which I didn't. Honest, I never would have asked him for anything. At least, I don't think I would have." She glanced back over at Clark. "What would you have done? What if you had power? True power? What would you do with it?"

"Help people," he answered without hesitation. "I would use all that money and power to help others."
So Lois. So Clark.

Nice? She thought again about how he had kissed her and then carried her to the door last night. She should have picked a different word.
I'm not sure. Clark is gloriously, sensually, beautifully nice.

The first was the slam of the door to the house. And the second was the unmistakable opening notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.
Dah-dah-dah-daaahhh! Dah-dah-dah-daaahhh! Lois, don't you know when to turn off your phone, or at least when to turn off Beethoven?

A shot rang out and Bender slumped to the ground with a soft moan. Gretchen Kelly let out a small laugh of delight as she sidled closer to Lex. "Nice shot, Lex," she gushed.
Sure, Gretchen. And you are perfectly safe with Lex, I'll bet.

"Lois, it's okay. I'll go." Clark touched her elbow and desperately wished he could tell her the truth. He was pretty sure Nigel meant to shoot him someplace where Lois wouldn't have to watch. They were doing him a favor in getting him away from the Kryptonite. He could only trust that Luthor wouldn't do anything to hurt Lois before he could come up with a plan to get them both away from here. Clark released her arm and pulled his flannel shirt off before holding it out to her. "It'll be cold later, you might need this."

"No," she whispered. She took the shirt anyway, her fingers instinctively closing around the fabric. It was still warm from his body and that sent a chill through her. "This isn't happening."
This is so beautiful and devastating and heartbreaking. Even though we know Clark can't be killed by an ordinary bullet, and even though we know that this "execution" may in fact be what it takes to save both Lois and Clark, it's still so horrifying. I'm so moved by the way Lois takes Clark's shirt, whose warmth from Clark's body could soon be the only thing she has left of Clark.

He bent and kissed her cheek, then whispered near her ear. "Will you promise me something, Lois?"

"Clark..." Her entire body seemed to have gone stiff and cold with dread.

"Promise me you'll remember that I wanted to tell you - right now - only I couldn't?"

"Tell me what?" she asked in a voice thick with fear.

He pulled her against him, his arms wrapping around her in a tight hug. She was still clutching his shirt between them in her numb fingers even as her mind screamed that this was her last chance ever to hold him and she was squandering it.

"I can't say right now." His words were like a caress against her ear. "Just promise me, please."

"I promise." She wasn't even sure what she was promising him.
Beautiful and devastating.

Her head was swimming. Hold him! Her mind screamed the words over and over. Hold him while you still can. Tell him the truth. Tell him how much he means to you. Her arms moved mechanically to embrace him and she squeezed her eyes shut tightly. It was a bad dream. It had to all be just a bad dream.

"I love you, Lois. I always have."

"No," she whispered fiercely into the soft cotton of his t-shirt. "No. This isn't how it ends."
Clark couldn't say what he wanted to say to Lois, and Lois couldn't say what she wanted to say to Clark.

"It's not the end," he whispered back and tipped her chin up to meet his eyes. "I promise."

He looked so confident and unafraid and she marveled at his composure. His thumb swept lightly across her cheek and wiped a tear away. "Please don't cry," he murmured. Then he bent down and brushed a light kiss on her lips. "I'll see you again soon, I promise."
This is Clark at his most glorious, lovely, caring, gentle "nice".

She slumped to the deck, staring blindly at his unmoving body far below her. Sorrow filled her, so deep and overwhelming that she couldn't even cry. She could only stare at Clark's body in mute disbelief.
The most devastating grief is mute. It has no tears.

He gave Lois a soothing pat on the shoulder, knowing that, in time, she would understand this was for the best.
Is this guy's self-satisfaction for real?

If only she could have last night back. She would have stayed in his arms all night. She would have slept next to him on the couch and told him out loud the words she had only whispered to herself. She loved him. She had really, truly loved him. The gentlest, kindest person she had ever known had just been callously murdered right in front of her and she had never told him that she loved him.
If only we could turn back time.

She should have hugged him back. She should have kissed him one last time. She should have stayed in his arms for as long as possible. It was unthinkable that those arms were now slack and lifeless.
This gets to me so strongly. The idea that a person who was alive just a little while ago is now dead. Slack. And we can never again tell them that we love them.

Ann

#41957 04/13/07 12:28 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh my god, so heartwrenching! I think the only thing that kept me together was the knowledge that Clark isn't really dead. Unless you used a kryptonite bullet. But you wouldn't do that so forget the last sentence. laugh

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
#41958 04/13/07 02:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A thought came to me when I was in bed last night...

This is like doing a TOGOM in the middle of The Phoenix...

Evil.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#41959 04/13/07 02:43 AM
Blogger
Blogger
He bent and kissed her cheek, then whispered near her ear. "Will you promise me something, Lois?"

"Promise me you'll remember that I wanted to tell you - right now - only I couldn't?"

He pulled her against him, his arms wrapping around her in a tight hug. She was still clutching his shirt between them in her numb fingers even as her mind screamed that this was her last chance ever to hold him and she was squandering it.

"I can't say right now." His words were like a caress against her ear. "Just promise me, please."

"I promise." She wasn't even sure what she was promising him. Her head was swimming. Hold him! Her mind screamed the words over and over. Hold him while you still can. Tell him the truth. Tell him how much he means to you. Her arms moved mechanically to embrace him and she squeezed her eyes shut tightly. It was a bad dream. It had to all be just a bad dream.

"No," she whispered fiercely into the soft cotton of his t-shirt. "No. This isn't how it ends."

"It's not the end," he whispered back and tipped her chin up to meet his eyes. "I promise."

He looked so confident and unafraid and she marveled at his composure. His thumb swept lightly across her cheek and wiped a tear away. "Please don't cry," he murmured. Then he bent down and brushed a light kiss on her lips. "I'll see you again soon, I promise."
What a wonderful scene! It's so beautifully written and I love how Clark makes her promise. It's just so Clark. I really hope Lois remembers her promise and doesn't get angry when Clark is clearly still alive in the next part.

My first thought was to be worried about his Kryptonite exposure, but even Clark remarks that he wasn't feeling the effects, so here's hoping that he wasn't around it enough to mess with his invulnerability.

Such a moving part! mecry

#41960 04/13/07 03:49 AM
Columnist
Columnist
That part that ignoredsins just quoted, I read that part over and over and over. It's just so full of emotion. I'm in amazement of you, Sue. I can't even imagine the grief Lois must be feeling regardless of what Clark is telling her. I'm glad Lex didn't interfere while they were having this little moment.

Alright, Sue. Do we have to wait as long for part three as we did for this one? Or do we get it a little sooner since you won't (I'm assuming) be on vacation in the next couple of days? I just can't wait to see how Clark gets her out of there and how she handles all the revelations she's about to be hit with. So just keep in mind that we'll be slowly dying until we get that last part. smile

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
#41961 04/13/07 03:57 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh snap! Look at this big long review from Jojo!

Sue... can I tell you that I adore this story? I was so tired last night that I couldn't give you a FDK when I read it. Then I remembered today is cutoff for work (I'm the biller and cutoff means the last day people have to get in work to be billed so they can be paid on this paycheck so as you can imagine it is a busy day) and I knew I wouldn't have time to do the FDK at work. So I'm sneaking in here before I leave to give you this.

"I've been to Paris in France, in Texas and in Idaho."
There is also a Paris, TN as well. Almost like the real thing. * snort *

"Superman," Lois said softly. "He thought that Superman was in love with me. That I was his weakness and he could use me to control Superman."
Hmmm I like that. Honestly it's been so long since I have seen the series (I have only recently went back and watched some of my favorites... need to watch the others as well) but I'm fairly sure that they never went into the reason's why Lex was so obsessed with Lois Lane. I'm sure there were other reasons as well but this seems like a pretty feasible idea.

"Nice isn't bland. Especially not when you're nice like you were nice last night." No sooner had she spoken the words than she wished she could withdraw them. Her cheeks became hot and she went back to staring out the window.
I cackled out loud on this one. The whole rest of the scene just was fun. I loved the little smirk that comes out on Clark's face.

"Fine," he told her. "I'll be nice and we won't talk about it. But don't think I'm ever going to forget what you said."
Oh but what part of that won't he forget? I'm pretty sure he means the love thing here. Again... love it when he talks all double-entendre. Makes me all hot in the pants. whinging

Aww Sue... you gotta come soon and fix this. I'm gonna be all heart-sick for Lois until you do. frown

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#41962 04/13/07 05:04 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Oh joy! Feeeeeeeeeeedback!

Sheila & symbolicangel - I'm hoping to post the final part by Sunday. But I make no promises.

Lara - have I moved you to the point where you can't speak? <heh> It is kind of like a TOGOM in the middle of the Phoenix.

Jessi & Sammy - Are you sure he's not dead? Really sure? There was Kryptonite around and he was exposed to it beforehand...

Okay, this could easily be a genius idea or just her worst plan ever...let's see which one happens! ----- Uh, definitely her worst plan ever. Good thing he's an alien...
LOL Jen! Seriously - I snorted at that. How do you know that he wasn't exposed just enough?

Ann, there's a Malmo in Nebraska. I'm pretty sure Clark has been there to, uh, "help a friend". wink
"Superman," Lois said softly. "He thought that Superman was in love with me. That I was his weakness and he could use me to control Superman." ----- And maybe there was another thing, too - whatever Superman can have, Lex wants to prove that he can snatch away from Superman right in front of Superman's eyes.
I confess - I filched that idea straight out of Caroline's amazing "If I Were You". That story is sheer genius.

Ann & ignored & Kristen & Jojo - I'm soooooo glad you liked the "farewell" scene! This was the part that DJ kept asking me to bring back. Originally in Brakelight, right after Clark told her he was Superman, they were taken to the house and then he was shot in front of her (going over the rail and landing with a thud, etc). So the dialogue was changed, but the original concept stayed intact.
Oh snap! Look at this big long review from Jojo!
My thoughts *exactly*! Thanks for coming in early just to make my day! sloppy
Sue... you know I'm gonna take that blender away from you... You keep making puree out of my heart here. (I'll let you keep it though if you can make some celebration margarita's later when this all turns out okay.)
Margaritas? We're having margaritas later? Oh, heck, why not - it's Friday! Woo hoo! Feedback and margaritas - what a weekend I'll be having!

Thanks guys! jump

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#41963 04/13/07 06:00 AM
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
Sue, I must say it's not very nice of you to go camping when you've left us waiting for this next part (joking, really!) wink . However, since you were so nice and did post, I'll give you some feedback, no?

He didn't answer. There was no way he could lose the SUV, not really. But telling her that was the last conversation he wanted to have right now.
Unless, of course, he want Lois to go ballistic on him. That was funny to me.

Her forehead furrowed, but she couldn't come up with a good insult for either Smallville or Idaho so she let it go in favor of needling him personally. "You're quite the world traveler, aren't you?"

He shrugged. "I've seen a fair bit of it."
If only you knew, Lois. *snicker*

Do you know what Mrs. Cox said was behind Lex's love for me?"

Clark shook his head - he didn't even want to guess.

Yeah gods, Lois, if only you knew. Actually, Sue, I really like this explanation for Lex's obsession with Lois. It makes so much sense of something that didn't make sense to me now or at the time it first aired.

Luthor had been right about one thing - he could use Lois to control Superman.
And I really like this sentence - it nicely sneaks in a fact we all know, but Lois doesn't.

"I never loved him," she added quietly, turning her head to watch the landscape speeding by outside. "I liked him a lot, and I was really flattered that he wanted to be with me, but I never really loved him. I was just--" Her voice trailed off and she furrowed her forehead as she searched for the right word. "I was seduced by him, I guess. Suddenly everything was possible. I really could have the world, if I wanted it. Which I didn't. Honest, I never would have asked him for anything. At least, I don't think I would have." She glanced back over at Clark. "What would you have done? What if you had power? True power? What would you do with it?"

"Help people," he answered without hesitation. "I would use all that money and power to help others."
Once again, Sue, this make sense. I have a hard time with BatP/HoL because Lois' relationship with Lex doesn't ring true. It's funny how attracted Lois seems to Lex's power, yet she deludes herself that it's not really about the power. I've never understood that, because I really am with Clark on this. What good is that kind of money, that kind of power, if you're not willing to genuinely give back to the world? Everyone should give back in whatever ways they can. It reminds us all that we, as a population, are on this world together, and all our actions have repercussions not just for ourselves but for everyone around us.

Stepping off soapbox, now. blush

Lois glanced at him just in time to see him give her a knowing grin. "Fine," he told her. "I'll be nice and we won't talk about it. But don't think I'm ever going to forget what you said."

She looked back out the window and squirmed in her seat. His words seemed laden with hidden meaning but she didn't want to think about what he must be thinking. Nice? She thought again about how he had kissed her and then carried her to the door last night. She should have picked a different word.

Perfect, she amended silently. Clark wasn't just nice. He was damn near perfect.
This just made me melt.

"Lois, it's okay. I'll go." Clark touched her elbow and desperately wished he could tell her the truth. He was pretty sure Nigel meant to shoot him someplace where Lois wouldn't have to watch. They were doing him a favor in getting him away from the Kryptonite. He could only trust that Luthor wouldn't do anything to hurt Lois before he could come up with a plan to get them both away from here. Clark released her arm and pulled his flannel shirt off before holding it out to her. "It'll be cold later, you might need this."

"No," she whispered. She took the shirt anyway, her fingers instinctively closing around the fabric. It was still warm from his body and that sent a chill through her. "This isn't happening."

"I promise." She wasn't even sure what she was promising him. Her head was swimming. Hold him! Her mind screamed the words over and over. Hold him while you still can. Tell him the truth. Tell him how much he means to you. Her arms moved mechanically to embrace him and she squeezed her eyes shut tightly. It was a bad dream. It had to all be just a bad dream.

And then you pull this out! OMG. I re-read this section twice because it was just so beautiful and perfect.

Clark was gone. Her mind swarmed with memories of him. He had been so brave. He had tried to make her believe that everything was going to be all right even when he knew they were going to kill him. She'd had a taste of the grief of losing Clark only a few months earlier. But that had been before he had kissed her; before he had told her that he loved her. And this time there was no Dr. Hamilton to bring him back. Superman had not come to save him.

If only she could have last night back. She would have stayed in his arms all night. She would have slept next to him on the couch and told him out loud the words she had only whispered to herself. She loved him. She had really, truly loved him. The gentlest, kindest person she had ever known had just been callously murdered right in front of her and she had never told him that she loved him.

Lois opened her eyes and looked down. Clark was absolutely still.

She should have hugged him back. She should have kissed him one last time. She should have stayed in his arms for as long as possible. It was unthinkable that those arms were now slack and lifeless.
*shudder* the thought of Clark lifeless is...awful, but you wrote this so well. Silly question - why the couch? Why not *think* about moving to the bed? Room to cuddle and stretch out, and um...other delightful occupations? laugh

Please do post the last part soon, sue. And DJ? Thanks. You and Sue seem to have a great relationship that keeps you both feeding folcs wonderful fics. Deeply appreciated, both of you.

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
#41964 04/13/07 08:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<DJ hums happily as she walks in...>

Why am I humming happily you ask? Why because... Sue gave me a sneak peek of the next part, of course. <g>

But I'll talk about that later...

First...

<<<HUGS>>>

I LOVE this fic, Sue. That little conversation in the car... they both learned some important information in that car ride I think. And I just love the way you write Clark... the little looks that he gives Lois - they just make me melt. And the things he says to her sometimes ... <thud>

But I loved that they continued with the lawyer jokes... (and Jojo, thanks to my sneak peek, I know the end of that one joke. <g>)

The whole first part of this post was good, but do you know how much I drooled, sniffled, cried, blubbered, teared up, and everything in between from the time that Nigel said "Let's go Mr. Kent" all the way to the end? I think I held my breath from there till the end the first time I read that scene. Then before I could even give you a proper beta, I had to read that scene 3 or 4 more times. And it got really hard too, because I was all teary-eyed.

I won't quote anything here because it's all been quoted. But do you know how perfect it was? How moving it was? How beautiful it was? Agh! It gets me every single time I read it. That's why I kept insisting that you take that chunk that got cut from Brakelight and make another story out of it. It was just bare bones back then, but I could see the potential - and it blossomed into something phenomenal! WOW! It took my breath away!

Now, that being said... those snippets you sent me... well they took my breath away too... but in a different way. And I got all sniffly again. They even gave me goosebumps! GOOSEBUMPS! I very rarely get goosebumps when I read something.

So to those of you reading this... if you got sniffly at all from that last part...you might want to keep those tissues handy. <g>

Like I said before, Sue, this story might be short but it packs quite an emotional punch! Can't wait to beta part 3!!!

C-ya!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#41965 04/13/07 08:26 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Are you sure he's not dead? Really sure? There was Kryptonite around and he was exposed to it beforehand...
That thought did occur to me when I was posting... but then I decided I'd stay optimistic. I have to hope!

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#41966 04/13/07 08:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How do you know that he wasn't exposed just enough?
Gender rumors, fake pregnancies, whacking fictional characters...I can't handle this! I have a sculpture to carve!

JD
<g>

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#41967 04/13/07 11:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
So to those of you reading this... if you got sniffly at all from that last part...you might want to keep those tissues handy.
*bites nails* I can't wait for the last part! Ahhh.. so... good! This was such a fantastic chapter! laugh A mini TOGOM in The Phoenix combines two of my favorite episodes in a superfic! laugh

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#41968 04/13/07 01:39 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
But I loved that they continued with the lawyer jokes... (and Jojo, thanks to my sneak peek, I know the end of that one joke. <g>)
razz DJ doesn't get any of the margaritas.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#41969 04/14/07 02:02 PM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
OMG! I should have waited till this was done before reading. Now my stomach is in a knot.

And I just HAVE to quote my favorite part.

So beautiful! You had me in tears.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#41970 04/14/07 02:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
[Razz] DJ doesn't get any of the margaritas.
Oh well fine! razz I didn't want any anyway... Babbles has been making me <hic> martinis <hic> and lett me telll yuh... thur purdy yermmy <hic, brrrrp>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard