Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
How’s it going, guys? I’m a little concerned that people might be having problems following this story - since it seems as if I might be losing readers here. And maybe it’s easier simply not to respond instead of saying that you’re confused. But please let me know if it’s too confusing - or to let me know if you are still understanding what is happening. After all, only if you let me know can I make changes that might help clear things up.

As I said at the beginning, I wasn’t sure if I should be posting parts due to the confusion factor of inherent in this story.

If you’re shy about posting on the boards with your concerns or confusion, you can always PM me or email me. After all, I tend to be shy about posting on the boards, too - especially if it’s to say that someone is losing me, or if I see a problem with the plot. But with this story, I do need all the help I can get to make it work (after all, my own time travel experience is very limited).

On a different note, can anyone guess when Lois is now? I’ll give you a hint. It’s sometime during the series laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Let's see... unfamiliar shower stall... Sometime after they got married b/c she'd recognize it if it was before... My first thought was HiM at the Lexor, but she'd likely recognize that... Maybe at the brownstone? But that doesn't help with when exactly - just that it's post wedding season 4... OR... is it when they go to the hotel in... Colorado? and she ends up duct taped on the bed and plays charades [when she could have just as easily pulled the tape off, but that's a side note...]. Just a couple guesses smile .

I'm sticking with you - I think I've followed every one so far. You do have Andreas instead of Andrus in this part too. Didn't notice the marble floor in this one smile . I wonder if Clark working *with* Lois on the Linda King thing will change things too much. But, no, I'm still not sure where or when Lois is.

More soon - today would be good. Would be much easier to keep up if you posted two or even three times a day. Yeah, that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Carol

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
You do have Andreas instead of Andrus in this part too.
I seem to have a real blind spot with that name blush . Thanks for pointing it out.

Glad to see that you're following this so far, Carol. I guess that at least makes two of us laugh .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
Blogger
Blogger
I just started reading this story today, so maybe that's why I don't feel confused at all, but who knows. Maybe you're just writing this all so well. wink Everything about it is FANTASTIC! I'm loving it so far and I can't wait to read more. Tomorrow seems so far away...

I'm so intrigued by the shower stall. I've followed every one of the time leaps, but this one definitely has me stumped. I'm wondering if she's in the shower at the hotel she and Clark stop at after Superman broke her out of prison. Hmm.

My first thought was that Tempus was certainly behind this mess when Lois saw two of him, but now I'm thinking that she might have been seeing the replica Tempus put in the prison. It's been awhile since I've seen that episode, so the details are all muddled. Can anyone reorder my memory for me?

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ooooo - or the prison shower itself?!??!

I don't know that we saw her in there on screen, but surely she was in there long enough to take a shower...
Carol [who isn't trying to be nitpicky with the Andrus thing, but just happened to notice it]

Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by carolm:

I don't know that we saw her in there on screen, but surely she was in there long enough to take a shower...
Ooh, I like the way you think! That would definitely be the last place Lois would ever think she'd end up in!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yo! cool

This is great stuff, so far, and you've done a good job with answering our concerns as they come up. I've been following along, but I couldn't really comment on the last couple parts 'cuz stuff came up! razz

I'm worried now. She's in the John Doe ep, right? It's been a while since I saw that one...is Clark okay? Or is the explosion not in the ep?

Showerstall...I'm thinking prison. Or the brownstone. Or....hrm...

Is she in an alternate future?

~•~
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
The time window explosion takes place at the end of Meet John Doe.

As for where Lois is now...

That really is a great idea. Too bad I didn't think of it laugh

Ignoredsins, welcome to the boards. That's quite a name you've chosen laugh . I'm really honored that you'd chose my story to make your first post laugh

My first thought was HiM at the Lexor, but she'd likely recognize that... Maybe at the brownstone? But that doesn't help with when exactly - just that it's post wedding season 4... OR... is it when they go to the hotel in... Colorado? and she ends up duct taped on the bed and plays charades [when she could have just as easily pulled the tape off, but that's a side note...
I'm wondering if she's in the shower at the hotel she and Clark stop at after Superman broke her out of prison. Hmm.
Is she in an alternate future?
Hmm... Well, I guess you're just going to have to read part nine to see if you're right laugh You know, this story would be so much easier to write if I could just have Lois say, "Oh, I'm in the episode Honeymoon in Metropolis right now. Cool!" laugh

you've done a good job with answering our concerns as they come up
Thanks for the comment, Queen of Capes. I really am taking all your comments to heart - making little changes as we go along in hopes that together we can make this story better. So thanks.

ML wave

Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm not confused, though I'm trying to figure out the current locale. I'm thinking brownstone, since they hadn't seen it by the end of the honeymoon.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
ML, don't, please, don't get cold feet here. smile I'm following you (but don't know the location of the shower), I've read every part, but am similar to Queen of the Capes - stuff came up and I couldn't give you feedback on a three (?) of the parts (3,4,5), but I've definitely read them and I am cruising right along.

Actually, I believe I told you I was slightly confused at the end of part 2, but you've cleared up that minor confusion.

Of course, I'm usually posting as my husband reads to our kids, which is 7:30-9:00 PM so I feel lucky to maybe post twice in an evening. thumbsup

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I was away this past weekend, so I'm sorry to have missed giving FDK on several parts of your story. Still loving it and still intrigued by the unknown why.

I love how you're throwing them back to critical points in their relationship and testing their resolve to not change the past. Poor Clark has had to break Lois' heart twice in almost as many jumps (with TOGOM and Contact), but then broke the rules and told Lois about his subterfuge with Linda. I guess they both realize that they can change the past if it's not such a big deal.

Interesting that Lois jumped to two points in her future, but Clark has not.
Tears unexpectedly welled up in Lois’ eyes. She hadn’t thought much about having children. Wasn’t even sure she wanted children. In fact, if anybody had asked her before she met Clark, she’d have said she wasn’t the type of person to want children. But to have the very option taken away from her so quickly, so unexpectedly...
and
She finally looked up into Clark’s concerned eyes. His devastated eyes.

That fact brought her back to the present and she knew in an instant that Clark’s heart was breaking, too. It put her own pain into perspective. He was struggling, fighting to hold it together for her sake. And she wasn’t making this any easier for him.

That realization brought tears to her eyes. How long had they been trying to get pregnant? Had each stumbling block been devastating for him? For her? Her hand came up to gently stroke his cheek, even as she felt begin slipping down her own.
whinging I always loved that scene - it's so very sad and your description definitely does the scenario justice. We expect Clark's pain, but Lois' unexpected show of vulnerability and grief is heart-wrenching.
He pulled in a jagged breath.

“Oh, Clark. I’m so sorry,” she said, pulling him into her arms. She found it slightly ironic that Clark had been the one comforting her in the future while she was the one comforting Clark now. “I know how much having children means to you,” she whispered before kissing the side of his neck, his ear, his cheek. She just wanted to make it all better.
I love this. We didn't get to see much of Clark's pain to Dr. Klein's test results and I love how you sent Lois and Clark to a place where Lois could love Clark through the news. frown

Cute reaction by the Utopians - holding their breath while they wait to see if Lois became pregnant. laugh
He was caught in the time window when it exploded. I’m afraid he’s gone,” the stranger said as the world began to fade around her.

“No!” Lois was still yelling when she found herself standing in an unfamiliar shower stall..
eek Interesting, this is the first jump where there wasn't some sense of closure to the scene - even though it was Lois' second future jump, she wasn't able to figure anything out before she leapt again. I wonder if the leaps between time periods will be shorter and shorter from now on. They certainly seem to be occuring faster.

Oh, and I have no idea which shower. My first thought was the motel after Superman springs her from jail, but the brownstone idea would work too.

Can't wait for part 9,
BJ

Blogger
Blogger
Hi ML! I'm still here! wave

If I confess to utmost confusion, will you post more often?
(Refresh my memory. Who is this Lois person supposed to be again? wink )

Okay, seriously though. I think I'm following things pretty well. I love how Lois and Clark each got a chance to comfort the other when learning about their inability to conceive.
A sense of loss permeated her being. Incompatible. Longing for Clark to hold her, to tell her that they would get through this, that their love would be enough, she leaned forward, practically falling against her husband of the future.
She felt his body tremble and heard his breathing become labored as he kept his face buried in her shoulder. “Oh, my love,” she whispered against his hair even as she felt the dampness of his tears on her shoulder. In the future, he must have dealt with his own pain before coming to tell her - trying to make sure he could comfort her without having to deal with his grief. That was just so Clark - and she loved him for it. She closed her eyes and held him, wishing she knew how to make this easier for him, wishing she could take his pain into her body and thus free him of it.
mecry So beautiful! I love how they each got a chance to be each other's strength through this devastating news.

Of course, given the Utopians concerns, it is clear that Lois and Clark are compatible.
/me wonders if this merely intended to be a point of suspense, or if Lois and Clark are going to find themselves in the family way before this is all over.
(Is anybody else disturbed by the Councilors' ability to eavesdrop on intimate moments in history?)

Unfortunately, I did get a bit lost with the John Doe thing. I don't think my confusion is due to any writing flaw on your part though. (ML, with a writing flaw?! Perish the thought!) I've never seen the episode Meet John Doe, and it's been a few years since I've seen Lois and Clarks, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics of the plot, nor am I able to tell from the story what might have changed from the original episode. (I'm pretty sure there was only one Tempus originally though.)

Did Clark actually change anything after he was shot by Dillinger, or was that thrown in merely for Clark torture?

As for the shower stall, my first guess was the hotel Lois and Clark stayed at while she was on the lam, but given the number of changes made to the series so far, I suppose anything is possible.

~C Noetal (Who notices that so far nobody seems to have made any progress in actually determining the cause of these leaps, much less how to stop them)

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Karen and mmouse, thanks for letting me know that you're still following what is happening. It's good to know that I haven't confused people with all this jumping around.

I always loved that scene - it's so very sad and your description definitely does the scenario justice. We expect Clark's pain, but Lois' unexpected show of vulnerability and grief is heart-wrenching.
I'm glad you enjoyed that scene. Erin actually gave me a number of really good ideas for spicing up that scene so... Thanks, Erin. thumbsup People seem to love it.

If I confess to utmost confusion, will you post more often?
Sorry, Noetal. If there is one person who I have no doubt is able to follow what is happening, it's you laugh .

Is anybody else disturbed by the Councilors' ability to eavesdrop on intimate moments in history?
Me raises hand laugh .

I've never seen the episode Meet John Doe, and it's been a few years since I've seen Lois and Clarks, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics of the plot, nor am I able to tell from the story what might have changed from the original episode. (I'm pretty sure there was only one Tempus originally though.)
I think that is one of the inherent weaknesses in this story. It really does require a solid knowledge of Lois and Clark. And for those of us who can often rattle off line and verse, it's okay. But otherwise... If you, or anyone, has any idea how I can correct this fault, I'd love to hear from you.

Okay, so Meet John Doe... Near the end of that episode, Andrus shows up at Lois and Clark's and asks for Superman's help in capturing Tempus to take him back to the future. Superman agrees. They go to the suites being occupied by President Elect John Doe (aka Tempus) and Superman grabs 'Tempus' and takes him into the time window. Now, the time window has been set to explode if Tempus touches it (so that he can't steal it and escape to another time). When Superman gets Tempus into the time window, he vanishes. It's then that they realize that the Tempus they were trying to take back to the future was actually a replica of the real Tempus. Then the real Tempus shows up and touches the time window with Superman still inside (and Lois watching) and the window explodes, trapping Superman in a moment of time. And the episode ends.

So everything in that episode is actually the same as it is in the series - except of course that Lois has no idea what is happening.

Did Clark actually change anything after he was shot by Dillinger, or was that thrown in merely for Clark torture?
Just Clark torture laugh . Don't worry, there's a great scene coming up that is put in merely to torture Lois laugh .

Anyway, it's good to know that people are still following this story. Thanks for letting me know.

The next part will be posted later this afternoon.

ML wave

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention...

ML, with a writing flaw?! Perish the thought!
ML has lots of writing flaws. That's why ML has such great beta readers. Just don't tell anyone, cause ML likes to accept all the credit laugh .

ML wave

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
ML has lots of writing flaws. That's why ML has such great beta readers.
See ML's Super Beta Readers for an example of what ML's fantastic beta readers can do for her stories. I love that one. rotflol
BJ

M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
*snicker*

Thanks, BJ. That was hilarious.

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard