Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41540 04/06/07 04:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
<Big happy grin><content sigh>

I love this story and I'm sad to see it end (you did promise more to come--if I remember correctly smile1 )

A flash of motion overhead caught her eye and she looked up in time to see Ryan Kent, carrying Marcy and little Robbie, coming in for a landing. He deposited his wife and son on the ground and his form blurred momentarily as he changed out of his "working clothes", as Marcy referred to them. Ryan, known to the world as the Black Raptor, was Clark's grandson. The new information, acquired over the last couple of days, hadn't really had time to absorb completely yet, but it had already begun to make her look at Clark's family with new understanding.

Lara Kent -- Superwoman -- and her husband, Bill Klein, the parents of Lori's doctor, were already here, and setting up the picnic tables in the shade of the big trees that lined the yard. As Mariann followed the men toward the house, she saw Clark, impressive in the red, blue and yellow of Superman, land in an open space and set Lori on her feet. He gave her a peck on the cheek and vanished in a blur of speed.
I love Mariann trying to link everyone up in her mind--the family tree is a bit confusing-so I sympathize.(I still have to look at the tree now and again to keep most of them in order. smile I'm so glad it's there!!)

"I'm hosting the baby shower this time," Michelle Olsen said from behind them. Aaron Olsen's wife squeezed into the living room between the doorframe and Clark. "Move, Clark. I want to see the new baby. Oh my goodness! What a little doll!"
LOL clap clap clap

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Nice wrap-up, Nan. It reads very like the end of the Home series, though I hope it's not. For one thing, I want to see you write a story in which Lori and Clark deal with the bad guys together and with Clark fully super-powered; so far, you've used almost every trick in the book to separate them when push comes to shove, and it's getting just a teensy bit predictable.

Doubly nice to see Velma not only in on the secret, but possibly about to become part of the Family. Mind you, the MPD is going to scream blue bloody murder when she leaves for Houston (always assuming that Oliver doesn't decamp for Metropolis), and Lori and Clark are going to have to break in a brand new contact in the police force... wink And the mother/daughter-in-law relationship between Velma and Ronnie is going to be a hoot... to watch from... oh, say, a concrete bunker five miles away! laugh

On the other side of the Lyons-Kent family, Grandma Mariann has come to an epiphany that might just lay a few of her own ghosts -- truly a super-feat. I have to say that I'd really like to go to one of the Kents' parties.

Phil

PS/ At the very least, you have to write an Epilogue for this series; Lori hasn't got her aircar yet!

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Satisfying wrap-up, Nan smile I meant to comment on the last part, too, but I don't think I did... busy week goofy

Makes me want to go back and re-read the whole series...

Btw, I'm with Phil; I'd like to see them face a problem together for once. Of course, I don't know what villain could *possibly* be a match for Lyons & Kent, but ... Nan's always been amazing at surmounting those little complications!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
You don't have to worry, Phil -- this is not the end of the Home series.

I write stories as the inspiration comes to me, and when the one comes along with the two of them working together, I'll write it. That's a promise.

Nan

PS. I, of course, want to see the rest of Imbalance. Don't you think you've taken enough of a hiatus from the story?

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Another well done story by one of the masters of folc fiction. While I'm not a big fan of the home series in general (mostly because to the confusing profusion of 'Kents' and other relations) I've always liked Lori and the way you write her.

It takes a good writer to keep me interested in a story when a pregnancy is a part of the plotline.

Ready for some more of your 'classic' Lois and Clark stories.

Tank (who is afraid that Lori is ruined now that she is a mother)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, Nan, great part! But I want more. I want to see what happens with Oliver and Velma. I guess for now, I'll have to re-read the series!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This was great, Nan. I'm sad it's over.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Kerth
Kerth
We still need to know who are the other people outside the family that are aware of the secret!! smile

PS. I, of course, want to see the rest of Imbalance. Don't you think you've taken enough of a hiatus from the story?
Ditto!! hyper

P.S. Don't think you're free because I agree with you to gang on Phil... I think we don't know all the triplets names on the Dagger series wildguy

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
LOL!

First, let me put to rest the idea that the Home series is over. It isn't, and I have no intention of ending it any time soon. When people stop being interested in it, then I'll know the time is ripe to bring it to an end.

Gosh, Tank, that's quite a compliment. I'm stunned!

I have other stories to write -- let's say I'm recovering from a long enforced dry spell, and the ideas are coming fast and furiously. I've promised James and a couple of others another from my original series, but that won't stop me from writing LnC. The story in question is already written. It's simply in need of some revision, so it doesn't take up a lot of time.

As soon as I pick a story from a number of partials on my hard drive, and finish roughing out the plot, I'll be back with another fanfic.

Nan

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Hi read the just love how the parents were told. Would love to see more of Lori and Clark.

Shelley
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, just read something hilarious... got to the end of Home III:Memories, and there at the bottom of the file, after "The End" it says:

(To Be Continued in the Final Story).
We've just now finished the 8th story past that point laugh Keep it up, Nan!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Nan:

I have other stories to write -- let's say I'm recovering from a long enforced dry spell, and the ideas are coming fast and furiously. I've promised James and a couple of others another from my original series, but that won't stop me from writing LnC. The story in question is already written. It's simply in need of some revision, so it doesn't take up a lot of time.

As soon as I pick a story from a number of partials on my hard drive, and finish roughing out the plot, I'll be back with another fanfic.

Nan
blush Thanks Nan blush

It does my heart good to hear that there are a number of stories that you have at your fingertips to complete.

One suggestion. You could have Clark do a "Once upon a time..." with some of the younger members of the clan and tell them of the time he stopped the Super-Eruption of Yellowstone. I read that and I am really intrigued on how that one was resolved!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ooooo yeah what James said!!!!

Maybe Clark could write his memoirs!!!
Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
Nan, I just finished Home: 1-5.

Few things: One, I loved how you incorporated the age-old I am my own Grandpa joke in both Clark's case and the dialogue between Lori and her sister.

Second, I loved how you wove so much history and so many different characters together without having to explain too much about any of them.

Third, I liked your ability to create good plots in a futuristic world with little Kryptonite and many superheros on the lookout.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Kerth
Kerth
I just got finished with your whole Home-Series. It made for a week of interesting reading.

I truly love the way you depict your characters, especially Lori. There were so many occasions where her karma - or whatever you want to call it - came through, making her act exactly like Lois. What I like most about Lori, though, is that she is less of a daredevil than her former incarnation, although it's not enough to keep her out of trouble - which makes for many interesting situations.

I also like that there are many non-super members of the Kent family, and I'd love to read more about them and the way they cope with being 'normal'. Like Uma Kent, John Olsen or Oliver Brent, who are 'only' telepathic. Or Arnie Frazier, who doesn't have any of the special gifts of the family.

But no matter what you will come up with, as long as it is connected to the series, I'm sure to read it. Thank you for sharing!

Mellie

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Dea Nan,

I've just finished reading the whole 10 parts.

It's brilliant!

Looking forward to reading some more on this and also the Dagger Story.

Regards,

Stuart

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I saw this in the news the other day:

Kidnapped teen crashes alleged abductor\'s car into police car

The idea sounded really familiar...and then I knew I had to find this thread. hail

Meriel obeyed. "Make sure your webbing is fastened," she said, and it seemed to Carla that her voice had lost its frightened edge. Carla pulled the safety webbing over her lap and torso.

The carjacker didn't deign to obey. "Get us out of here," he told Meriel. "Fast."

"Okay. Don't get careless with that thing," Meriel said. "If you stun me, we'll crash."

And all at once, there was a man in the street ahead of them. Carla bit back a scream as Meriel aimed directly for him. Carla gasped and then realized all at once what she was seeing.

The man was tall, with very dark brown skin, and he wore a body suit of pure white, with a long white cape that waved from his shoulders. It had to be one of the superheroes, she thought in the split instant before impact. Carla and Meriel were protected from the jolt that shook the car as it ploughed into the white clad man, but the carjacker was thrown forward and his forehead struck the dashboard with a dull thud. The stunner cracked against the windshield, leaving a slight dent in the duraglass surface, and then they were coming to a halt. The super hero walked around to the driver's side of the car and leaned in.

"Are you ladies all right?" he inquired.

"We're fine," Meriel said. She undid her safety webbing and pushed the driver's door open.
Nan, Thanks for a great story that's getting more believable every day! Still waiting for my stasis unit, though. wink

Shallowford
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Smart young lady.

The inspiration for that part came from something that happened to my sister.

She had gone to eat her lunch and exercise by the Eel River in Humboldt county, where she lived. That part of the country was mostly crime free at the time, and she left her purse in her locked car. The area was surrounded by trees and completely deserted. When she returned, however, there was a car parked beside hers with two women in it, and her purse was gone. Across the picnic area, there was another car with a group of young men -- late teens, early twenties.

My sister at once suspected what had happened to her purse, and she asked the women if they had seen it. Naturally, they denied it, so my sister walked around behind the car to get a look at the license plate.

She heard the younger woman say something like, "Ma, she's getting our license!"

Both women got out, and the men from the other car, who apparently knew the women, came over, acting in a threatening manner to my sister. She got back into her car and locked the doors, then started up the engine, intending to back up and leave.

Instead of letting her do so, the men spread out behind her car, evidently intending to prevent her leaving.

She had a pretty good idea what would happen to her if they got hold of her at this point, so instead of stopping, she put the car in reverse and floored the accelerator. She told me, "You should have seen them jump!"

She peeled out of the lot as fast as she could, and went straight to the police, but by the time the police got there, they were, naturally, gone. She didn't get her purse back, but she came out alive and uninjured. I have never had more respect for my sister when I heard that story, so the part in Vendetta that you quoted above was my small tribute to her, and the guts she displayed that day.

Nan

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Hello, I just re finished your home series for the nth time. Finally, have place to comment. The thing I love the most is how you are able to create a beautiful new world fully visualized. The little glimpses of past history that would stories themselves (I.e. grandma Lyons the commissioner, the super volcano, and the background stories of the other superheroes, I think story of Marcy and Ryan wouldn't be amiss).

I also love the characterization that you create. Marcy is a favorite character of mine.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan did ours," Marcy said. "It's a good thing he can cook because I can still burn water without any effort at all. Did you hear," she added to her sister, "Oliver is bringing a date."

"You're kidding!" Lori said. "Oliver? I thought he was a confirmed bachelor.

“Apparently he met a lady cop while they were frantically searching for you," Marcy said. "Velma something. Ronnie says he's got it bad."

"Not Velma Chow, by any chance?" Lori asked.

"I think so. Meriel got hold of him to take her the members list for Gaia's Children. Why? Do you know her?"

"I sure do," Lori said. "I guess something good came out of that mess, after all."

"And Meriel invited some friends to come by about twelve, in time for lunch, and the swimming party," Marcy added. "We've all got to be on our best behavior for them because they don't know about the family secret."

"I heard," Lori said. "Carla and Connor are friends of ours from the Daily Planet."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think its funny that she's reminding Lori (Superman's wife) about keeping the secret. Come on, Lori knew first! I also feel as though Lori and Marcys relationship has grown from the beginning when they seemed more at odds with each other. Love Oliver and Velma. Those two are also a great couple.

Thank you for such great stories (hopefully you're not done with that world yet). My dream would be a rebooted TV series called Superman: The Home Series. smile

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'm flattered, Tailee. I haven't written much lately, since we just moved to Texas in April and are still getting the various odds and ends straightened out, but I have been going over Smallville and will start posting on it as soon as I can. Hopefully I can get around to another Home story after that. I'm glad you enjoy the series, because I enjoyed writing it.

Nan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard