Next Thread
Print Thread
#41207 03/31/07 06:58 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh, wow! What a story!

That was the most brilliant in-depth look at Kryptonian history and society that I've ever seen.

Tying it in to the disappearance of the Neanderthals and, later, the Myan civilization... genius!

And then... I'm still not sure how you did it, but... you actually made New Krypton almost seem like it made sense. I didn't think that was even possible.

Actually, given the way it's set up, with Krypton, Earth, and New Krypton, I'd almost be tempted to rename the story My Three Suns. But maybe that's just me.

I think, personally, my favorite part of the whole thing was that scene with Jor-El and Lara.

"No." Her mindvoice was clear, strong, warm... loving. It was almost shocking in its intimacy. All the more so because of the real, physical contact of her fingertips on his hand. "It is the way it must be. The way it has always been for us."

His response was beyond words, a projection of the wonder and awe she inspired in him. Life with her was a constant rediscovery of the fact that she was not a typical female.
Beautiful. That whole scene. Just... beautiful. The way they transcend the Kryptonian austerity. The way that austerity makes the act of holding hands - something so simple to us - an expression of unfathomable love. You really bring it all to life.

And, too, there's Lara's choice here. She knows what's happening. She knows what he's up to. She knows what it means that he's doing it on that day... and she goes along with it. Wow.

The only real nitpick I have in all this is Lois's characterization (when she finally appears). It just seemed a little off to me. The thing with the coffee, for example. That was a bit much, even for First Season Lois.

Overall, though... color me very impressed.

Dare I hope that we'll see more along these lines?

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#41208 03/31/07 07:53 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can't find this story anywhere. It's not on the boards or the archive. Where did you find it, Hatman?

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#41209 04/01/07 04:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Brilliant! clap

And that little metaphor? That was a subtle stroke of genius! This was a great way to start my week! dance

notworthy

I'd like to see more, too. laugh

~•~
#41210 04/01/07 06:30 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Hatman, where can I find this story?

Annette

~aks
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley
#41211 04/01/07 06:34 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I can't find this story anywhere.
I admit, Paul, you had me going for a bit there too. Such extravagant praise indeed - you had me rooting around looking for this.

But assuming that I'm guessing right, this was

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

an excellent April Fool's Joke. Nicely done, Paul.

Kathy laugh

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#41212 04/01/07 06:39 AM
Blogger
Blogger
LOL Ok, you got me! That was a brilliant April Fool's joke smile

Annette

~aks
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley
#41213 04/01/07 07:46 AM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Actually, it was an experiment I thought up a few weeks ago. But seeing as how today was so close, I figured it would be better to wait on it.

I just wanted to see what people would do. Who would be confused. Who would do as Lara did:

And, too, there's Lara's choice here. She knows what's happening. She knows what he's up to. She knows what it means that he's doing it on that day... and she goes along with it. Wow.
I was kind of hoping some of you would add to the mythology. Put in your own commentary, and maybe even favorite quotes. See what developed.

Oh well. Glad a couple of you enjoyed, anyway. smile

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#41214 04/01/07 07:55 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was furiously looking for the story - until I took a look into the FDK thread... laugh

#41215 04/02/07 02:43 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Paul, you are a seriously, seriously bad man.

Must be why I like you so much. laugh

LabRat smile (who only looked down page one a leetle way before opening the fdk thread... )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#41216 04/02/07 06:47 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It took me a little while to recognize this as a joke. That said, would someone please write the story that would correspond with this FDK. Pretty please?

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#41217 04/04/07 07:22 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
You are so mean.....

*goes off into a corner to sulk because she trawled through several pages in the forum and used the search option before looking at the FDK thread*

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard