Whohooo!!!

grumble ), I promise!

SmirkyRaven

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Yeow! What a ride!

We get some more glimpses of who Carmen is/was(?) and the relationship between Ash and the Kents and then we get a near-death experience for Lois which will surely have consequences next time and we see Clark about to blame himself for almost losing Lois and -

Whew! What a ride! Can we go again?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
N
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
N
This is really compelling story, especially because of all these characters we don't know who are popping in and out of the narrative. I'm really looking forward to learning about their backstories. After all these years of L&C, non-canon characters are sometimes the most interesting!

Why didn't Clark go when he heard Lois crashing? Where was Asha? Are we supposed to trust Asha? I feel like I'm meant to not trust her only to find out she was the most trustworthy of all. smile

And 786... it's a Muslim thing, right? It's supposed to represent an Arabic word, although I don't know what... but then, I had a high school physics teacher who used to use 143 to represent "I love you" so possibly I am way off track. wink

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh wow, Hasini, what a fascinating, harrowing, mysterious chapter!

Gary Westlake sat sprawled on the big armchair, looking very much removed from his role of New Troy senator, and more like a rakish college boy with his tawny hair in disarray and his tie askew.
Gary Westlake - doesn't he sound like the perfect kind of Caucasian Protestant American good guy with Anglo-Saxon roots? I'm not saying that is what he necessarily is, but that is what his name makes him sound like.

His wife Asha sat ramrod straight on the couch, gazing steadily at Clark as he leaned against the mantelpiece. She looked every inch the socialite and ornamental political wife - pristine and unrumpled even at ten in the night. The firelight seemed to transform her into Greek statue; her wheat-colored hair a river of gold.
But now Asha - she seems like a totally different creature. That name doesn't sound Anglo-Saxon or European at all to me. If her name reminds me of anything at all, it reminds me of Aisha, the Prophet Muhammed's favorite wife. And she looks like a Greek statue. There is definitely something mysterious, strange or perhaps magical about Asha.

“They want me to pull the plug,” ground out Clark, staring unseeingly at the fire. “They don’t think Lois is going to wake up.”

“You don’t mean that.” Gary’s eyes were steely with a hint of an emotion deep within their grey depths that neither man cared to name. Clark was reminded, for the first time in many long years that this man had loved the same woman he did, once upon a lifetime.
So Gary Westlake is Lois's former boyfriend. And Asha is... the woman he married instead of Lois.

“Clark, how many times has Lois got herself into these situations and still pulled through at the eleventh hour?” interjected Asha with conviction. “It’s one of her specialties, you know that!”

“You’re one to talk,” said her husband wryly, “It’s not like you’re far behind in that respect. The pair of you together are about as unpredictable as a mobile C4 factory.” Clark felt the corners of his mouth tug upward in a ghost of a smile, despite himself. Gary had a point. As close as Clark was to the Westlakes, his wife’s friendship with the Englishwoman hadn’t always been a reason for delight to him.
Hmmm. You had me say that Asha's name doesn't sound Anglo-Saxon. For all of that, she is an Englishwoman. And she and Lois have obviously been great friends, doing dangerous things together.

“He said…” Clark gritted his teeth, not wanting to say it aloud. “He said Interpol’s looking for a body now.” He ran a hand through his hair in frustration, and looked at his friends in desperation. How would he face Lois once she woke up, only to let her know he had let her little sister die?
Oh, the horror. But honestly, why have both sisters Lane been attacked at the same time?

The Westlakes looked up at him with something akin to consternation. “You just got home!” said Asha disapprovingly. “Where’s the fire?”

“No fire. I put it out earlier,” rejoined Clark wryly and was rewarded by a slight smile from her. “It’s just…”
Do the Westlakes know that Clark is Superman? If so, is it a good thing that they know?

Clark looked at the earnest faces of his friends and hesitated. “Call me crazy, but I didn’t feel great about leaving her side tonight. Maybe it’s because of what Andy told me today. I don’t know. I just want to know for myself that she’s safe.”
Oh-oh. This kind of premonition makes it seem certain that Lois is going to be attacked tonight!

“Clark, you’ve been practically living at that hospital for weeks now, and you’ve just started showing your face about your own house again,” said Ash, although her eyes were sympathetic. “Lois has been under guard by our best people since she was admitted. Surveillance, stake out teams, you name it. Travis is on duty tonight. She’s perfectly safe.”
But Asha doesn't want Clark to spend the night at Lois's side. Why not?

“Just like Carmen was perfectly safe?” said Clark, bitterly. Her murder was just one of the things that had made him feel like the universe had spun completely out of his control.

“We don’t know that it was Carmen, Clark...”

“Ash!” both Clark and Gary exclaimed in exasperation.

“Sweetheart, her boyfriend ID ed her body…” began Gary.
Someone named Carmen has been killed, but Asha doesn't want to admit that Carmen is dead? Why not?

“Nobody’s dead until I see a body!” shot back Asha.

“Well, you did see Carmen’s body, and you’re still not convinced…” Gary rolled his eyes. Clark could never doubt that Gary Westlake loved his wife, but even he couldn’t deny that she redefined the meaning of “paranoid”. Which was probably why she had lived as long as this - a fact which she kept reminding them both.

“Well, not till I see a DNA test, then,” said Asha resolutely, “Which we never got to do, seeing as she was buried post-haste…rather strange for a high-profile murder case, don’t you think? And you didn’t help matters…”

“Ash, you wanted to exhume her! Quite apart from the fact that I’m not going to be the state senator that pulls strings to have random bodies dug up to run DNA tests, we shouldn’t have any visible interest in the case!”
Hmmmm. Was Asha serious about wanting to exhume Carmen? Did she honestly expect that the body would turn out to be someone else? Or was Asha just trying to make people doubt that Carmen is dead, since she knew that the body wouldn't be exhumed anyway?

“What are you doing out of bed, sweethearts?”

“We were waiting for you, Daddy,” said Lara. She scooped up her teddy bear and bounded down the stairs to be picked up by her father. “Are you goin’ again?”

“No, he isn’t,” said Asha decisively, coming out of the sitting room. She picked up her coat from the hall closet and allowed Gary to help her into it. “Clark, I’ll go and check up on Lois for you. Andy knows me as well as any of you.”
Asha makes the decision for Clark that he isn't going to the hospital. Hmmm. I don't think I like it.

“You need to spend some time with the kids, Clark,” said Asha. “They need you more than anybody. Even Lois. I’ll go to her. You trust me, don’t you?”

Was it just Clark’s imagination or did that question seem loaded?
Maybe it was loaded, Clark. And maybe you shouldn't trust her.

“Good.” She reached up and kissed Lara on the cheek. “I’ll call you from the hospital.
So did she? Call from the hospital, I mean?

Nightie night, chickabids.”

She bent down to kiss the top of Marta’s head. To Clark’s surprise, the child dodged her and hid behind Clark.
Now that is what I call scary!

Clark’s surprise was mirrored in Gary’s face, but Asha simply seemed resigned. What was that about, Clark wondered.

Before he could ask her, Asha had shepherded her husband out the door.
And Asha makes sure that she and her husband leave before Clark can ask her any questions.

“My turn! My turn!” declared Lara, as she disappeared into the library. Clark could only pray she wouldn’t come out dragging D. H. Lawrence again.
smile1 smile1 smile1

“Madame, Operation Sargon is successful. Over and out.”
What? What? Operation Sargon? And who is Madame? Asha Westlake?

“Welcome to the future: Westgate.”

“Live, Lois! Live!”
Asha Westlake. Roland West. Westgate. What's all this "West" about?

“Clear!” Dr. Sanders pressed down with the paddles as though he were pouring every ounce of his own remaining energy into that last jolt. Lois’ upper body arced backward with the force of the shock.

And flopped back down lifelessly.

One eternal millisecond of stunned, disbelieving finality.

A screaming, spasming gasp for breath erupted from her mouth. The horizontal line on the heart monitor spiked upward sharply, its screeching bleep breaking into a pulsing staccato of life.
Yes! Yes! Yess!!! smile1 smile1 smile1

“I’m not going anywhere, and that’s a promise! Got that, Kent?”

“Lois, if I lost you, I would lose myself.”

“Come back to me, Lois.”

“Wake up, Lois!”

“LOIS!”

She stared at the blackness beneath her eyelids for a moment.

And her eyes snapped open.

White.

Blinding white.
Thank god, she is awake... but that blinding white is worrying.

Kudos to anyone who can guess at the symbolic significance behind Lois’ room number – 786.
I googled 786, and this is what Wikipedia told me:

786 is a sphenic number. 50 can be partitioned into powers of two in 786 different ways (sequence A000123 in OEIS).

786 might be the largest n for which the value of the central binomial coefficient is not divisible by an odd prime squared. If there is a larger such number, it would have to be at least 157450 (see A059097).
Did you get that? Me either.

Okay, Wikipedia said this, too:

The Arabic letters of the opening phrase of the Qur'an (the Bismillah phrase Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim "In the name of God, the Compassionate and Merciful") sum to the numerical value 786 in the system of Abjad numerals.
Okay, if I got it correctly, 786 symbolizes the opening phrase of the Qur'an, which is "In the name of God, the Compassionate and Merciful". However, according to another interpretation, 786 could also symbolize the Hindu god Krishna!

Interesting! Are you sure Asha's name isn't the same name as Aisha, the Prophet Muhammed's favorite wife?

I, too, wonder if we are meant to believe that Asha is really the villain of this story - that would be so easy to believe right now!!! - only to find out later that she really is some kind of heroine?

Great story, Hasini! I love it! smile1

Ann

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
She looked every inch the socialite and ornamental political wife - pristine and unrumpled even at ten in the night.
This is a completely different perspective than we got of Ash at the school play. Great job on rounding out the character.

Clark was reminded, for the first time in many long years that this man had loved the same woman he did, once upon a lifetime.
Really??? I hope we get to learn more about this.

Clark, when it comes to counting lives, Lois was born more flush than your resident alley cat.
great line

“No fire. I put it out earlier,” rejoined Clark wryly and was rewarded by a slight smile from her.
They know he moonlights in tights, so the Westlakes are seriously intimate friends of the Kents.

she redefined the meaning of “paranoid”. Which was probably why she had lived as long as this - a fact which she kept reminding them both.
This woman must have more going on than the average political wife.

You trust me, don’t you?”

Um. Suddenly for some reason I don't. Trust her, I mean.

His ID tag read “Roland West”.
Any relation to Westlake or is this a coincidence?

I absolutely *love* your use of Sleeping Beauty in this chapter and the way it cuts back and forth. Absolutely inspired.

And the snippets of memory, love those too.

This was a hell of a chapter. The tension in the second half was exquisite. I could practically hear the haunting orchestra as it cut between the hospital and Clark with the twins. Hasini, I cannot believe you ever dared to say that you can't write. This is solid gold.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You know guys, I’ve had this written and saved in my hard drive for weeks. I’m so glad you liked it so much. It was the chapter I had the most fun writing.

Smirky, darling, take your time. Believe me, I know how RL can get! Campus is driving me completely bonkers as well. Thanks for starting the thread, dear!

Terry – you’re back! I was afraid you’d still be ‘out of pocket’ <g> when I posted this chapter and would miss it. You and Smirky make it sound like you just got off a rollercoaster. I don’t like rollercoasters much myself, I’ll take that as a compliment. Can you go again? Well, you’ll have to wait till chapter 4. laugh

Hello, Noelle! This is the first time I’ve seen you. Are you a newbie or and oldie returned to the fold? Either way, welcome! Really glad you’re following my story.

Are we supposed to trust Asha? I feel like I'm meant to not trust her only to find out she was the most trustworthy of all.
Hmmm, that’s an…interesting theory. But it’s still only the second chapter. Maybe you’re supposed to trust Asha as much as the Kents seem to do, only to find out she’s the villain after all. Or maybe she’ll turn out to be a decoy character for the villain.
We’ll simply have to find out, won’t we? wink

And 786... it's a Muslim thing, right? It's supposed to represent an Arabic word,
Warm, very warm. Now if you keep going in that vein…

Thanks for the review, Noelle! See ya next Saturday!

Ann is here!! Yaay! razz

Well, anyway, you know what they say. FDK a day, keeps the anti-muse away! hyper

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
FDK a day, keeps the anti-muse away!
HAH! That's so quote-worthy!

Anyway, I don't have too much to say this time. You just can't beat Sleeping Beauty cutting in and out of the plot!

786... Just for laughs, a couple of shots of vodka last night told me, <Hey! They're in numerical order; maybe that means something!>

<<You dope, they're not in any order!>>

<Oops.>

So if there's anything of interest in the numbers, I'm happy to learn!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It is vital that readers of this story keep up with the events of the earlier chapters. Recaps won’t be enough so if you can’t remember what happened in the earlier chapter, please use the
Could you still give us just a little recap?

Thanks as always to my awesome betas Sadhini, alycone and especially JoMurf and Classicalla without whose medical expertise this chapter would have been totally nonsensical. Advice to future authors: do not lean on Smallville and ER for expertise on emergency medical procedures!
Glad to be of help.

I love the title of Sleeping Beauty. It’s so apropos.

You trust me, don’t you?”

Oooohh... The intrigue increases.

“You aren’t goin’ to sing, are you?”
LOL!

Great part, Hasini.

There is definitely something mysterious, strange or perhaps magical about Asha.
She’s English. Is that enough for mysterious and magical?

Fire that nurse now!!!
Not only that - she’s probably gonna lose her license, too.

I, too, wonder if we are meant to believe that Asha is really the villain of this story -
Hasini won’t even tell her betas! But she has something up her sleeve...

Hasini, I cannot believe you ever dared to say that you can't write.
Me, either.

Well, you’ll have to wait till chapter 4.
And when, pray tell, do your betas get to see this chapter?

And please explain further about 786.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
It is an upside down world and it is one because of Lois isn't it? Because she is so stubborn! Sleeping Beauty wakes up because someone loves her but Lois will wake up because someone hates her!

By the way, I love the reference to D H Lawrence - was it Lady Chatterly's Lover that the kid found? rotflol

Love the way you have her waking up with her remembering her thoughts and at the same time giving a little bit more information away.

Asha wouldn't tell because Asha, Carmen and Lois all knew what was happening and I suspect that Asha is ...... working out a severe side effect of being bi polar because....

..... Asha is investigating her husband and married him for that reason. She is her real self around the kids. Lois and Carmen know this and are investigating Archer who is at the other end of whatever shady thing is happening. Lucy has disappeared to either protect herself, help protect Lois (because a switcheroo was planned that never took place?) or because she was mistakenly believed to be the one Lois would confide in about what she was investigating. If she was kidnapped by Gary that would explain why she hasn't been found yet. Asha knew it was likely that a hit would be planned which is why she wanted to go to the hospital. If Lois does eventually die, the invesitagtion will proceed and Asha probably will end up being with Clark.

Is Lois alive? Is she breathing but still unable to communicate with anyone? The white blinding light could be her getting used to using her eyes again or it could be her going to heaven except that her heart started beating. So yes - the white light bit is slightly confusing - will all be explained next Saturday? Cannot wait. Why must you write so well - you leave me in awe!

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have some bad news, guys. Due to circumsances in RL that have me teetering on the brink of a nervous breakdown, chapter 3 will not be posted on Saturday as planned. It'll probably arrive in the middle of next week, with luck. However, I am forced to move this down on my priority list and focus on repairing my GPA. Otherwise I shall go NUTS.
I'll try not to keep you guys waiting too long, and I really am sorry about the delay.
Thanks to everybody who reviewed so far, including Nancy and Marisa. The other symbolism of 786 - type it out on a dictionary enabled cellphone keypad and you get the word 'Sun'. Childishly simple really. The epicentre of our solar system and around which everything revolves.

Asha is the Hindu and Singhalese word for "Desire" btw. I don't see why her being English makes her magical and mystical, Nancy. The English, in my experience, are a rather no-nonsense sort of folk, in general. No offense. Chapter 4 will wend its lazy way unto you once I finish chapter 3. I am horribly anal this way, I know.

Why is it that everybody sees DH Lawrence and goes = Lady Chatterly = porno author?
laugh Geez, you write ONE explicit novel and wazoo goes your reputation. He had a whole lot of PG stuff that didn't cause any controversy, you know. My favourite story by him is the "Rocking-Horse Winner".

Anyway, thank you for all the pretty compliments, Marisa! Your theories are too fun, especially as we are only into the second chapter. I can't imagine the theories that'll be born of the later chapters!

I don't deserve it, but please keep reviewing! You guys give me the strength to live, right now.

Love you all,
Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hasini

I just wanted to say I like it. Clark turning Lois brooding around by being a smartass was brilliant. I really enjoy the way you evoke details and moods and how you create backstory for the missing years. The cusp of death flash back was beautiful, especially with show dialogue mixed in it. And the wonderful sleeping beauty insert others have mentioned.
Looking forward to see were this is going.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Lady_Mirth:
The other symbolism of 786 - type it out on a dictionary enabled cellphone keypad and you get the word 'Sun'.
Nokia 6101 using T9 prediction dictionary gives "Run".

I am forced to move this down on my priority list and focus on repairing my GPA
A very good reason. While we'd like to see more of this story please keep your focus on school. I got knocked off course a few years ago and ended up two classes short of a BS.

If need be make us wait till summer break.

Framework4
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Hasini, I miss this story! Any thoughts on when we might get to see the next part? smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
First of all, I owe you guys a long and heartfelt apology. I never thought I'd be gone this long, nor that I'd leave the story hanging at this point. But RL has consumed me mercilessly of late, and I'm sure if you knew the truly bizzare two months I've had, you'd understand.

I'm NOT abandoning this story - not after spending YEARS thinking about it. But I'm going to take some time out so I can write at my own pace. Deadlines really don't seem to work well with me. Esp since this is such a complicated whodunit. I don't want to mess up halfway. So I'm going to stop posting for a little while, and first work up the WILL to write. After turning in my sememseter thesis and all the drama and stress invloved therein, I don't feel like I'd ever want to write anything again. But I know the bug is going to bite me again, soon, regardless.

I can't thank those who bolstered me up and took the time to leave me all these great reviews, enough. You gave me the will not only to write, but also to live, at one point. I feel terrible about just leaving you hanging here, but I know it's so I will be able to deliver the best story I can at the end of the day. I can't tell you what every review has meant to me.

Special thanks to my fabulous team of betas, especially Classicalla, JoMurf and alycone. I hope you guys continue to help me with this, even though I'm not posting any time soon. I can't believe my luck in having landed such a great group of betas!

For those of you who still want to know: no, Lois is NOT GOING TO DIE. Not yet, anyway. love

“Is he dead, Lois?”

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I read your journal entry.

You have a very cute picture, 'Woman In The Mirror' has tons of potential, and you're obviously a wonderful writer, but I don't want your life. At least, not right now.

Reminds me of a month-long period in my last trimester of school - won't bore you with the details, but I can't top what you went through.

But Hasini, what was your English grade? Don't keep us in suspense about that!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
First of all, I owe you guys a long and heartfelt apology. I never thought I'd be gone this long, nor that I'd leave the story hanging at this point. "
First off you OWE us nothing.
wildguy
Take it out of the picture. You need to focus on the more important things. A story for us should be a work of enjoyment for you. A stress reliever not another source of stress.

I read about your " truly bizzare two months ".

All the more reason to leave the story alone. I said before that you might need to leave it to summer break. Ignore that, after the two months you had you might need to wait till you finish your Undergraduate studies.

Patrick

P.S. I enjoyed your Smallville Rant , but you do realize that it dooms you to write an L&C Smallville crossover....

Framework4
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thanks for the compliments Terry! blush Believe me, I don't want my life right now, either! Or rather, didn't want it. Things have calmed down now, of course.

Still, I would like to hear about your month. I love hearing about freaky things that happen to other people. It makes me feel less like I have some invisible cosmic bull-eye painted on my forehead.

I'm finding out about my grade tomorrow. If it's not an A, after all the work I've put in to my assignments, I shall do something drastic. Keep your fingers crossed for me? frown

Patrick - thanks for being so understanding. I can't help it. You guys have been so great in your reviews, esp since this is my first fic, that I feel like I'm letting you down. sad

All the more reason to leave the story alone. I said before that you might need to leave it to summer break. Ignore that, after the two months you had you might need to wait till you finish your Undergraduate studies.
lol I'm sure it won't come to that. I'm used to weird things happening to me. You wouldn't believe half the stuff that's happened to me over the years. My friends even have a saying: "that sounds like something that'd hppen to Hasini". It's true!

P.S. I enjoyed your Smallville Rant, but you do realize that it dooms you to write an L&C Smallville crossover....
Er...why? I don't follow that logic. Especially since I'm now a confirmed Chlark shipper. I love Chloe Sullivan! She's my favourite female fictional character, right after Teri Hatcher's Lois Lane.

Grades posted tomorrow! thud

Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

F
Kerth
Kerth
F

P.S. I enjoyed your Smallville Rant, but you do realize that it dooms you to write an L&C Smallville crossover....
Er...why? I don't follow that logic. Especially since I'm now a confirmed Chlark shipper. I love Chloe Sullivan! She's my favourite female fictional character, right after Teri Hatcher's Lois Lane.
So maybe you can get Chloe together with the AltVerse Clark, after all his Lois died in the Congo...

Framework4
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, dearie me, no! I make it a point never to mix up the SV and LnC universes. Dean-as-Clark can only be with Teri-as-Lois. Tom-as-Clark looks good with Alison-as-Chloe. Never the twixt shall meet. It would be too dreadfully confusing!

Sometimes, seeing Teri's younger photos (very young - I once saw a photo of her when she was on that cheerleading squad) I think I can see her having a good chemistry with Tom Welling.

For me to write a crossover fic, we FoLCs would have to do away with the notion that the Clark in any universe is meant to be with Lois alone. Then if they dropped into the LnC universe, the older couple could show Clark and Chloe that they'd be good together and...

Oh, no. Get that obnoxious plot bunny AWAY from me! I do NOT have time for it! No! Shoo! Go awa..

I hate you, Patrick. I hate you so much. grumble thud

laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, seeing that I have spent thirty-eight of my almost fifty-two years hoping and wishing and dreaming for Lois and Superman to be together, it should be pretty obvious what I think about Clark and not-Lois (whether her name is Chloe, Lana, Mayson Drake, or really anything whatsoever but Lois) hitting it off....

Isn't there a Smallville fanfic site where you can post your Clark/Chloe stories, Hasini?

By the way, and because I haven't said it, I have to shudder at the last two months of your life. I really hope that things are better for you now!

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard