Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jwb Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Just to put out a shameless plug for a July 4th story, go over to the archve and read "A Kansas Fourth." We went to Manhattan this week and had a lot of fun showing our kids where we went to school and it reminded me of this story.

Have a safe and happy Fourth!

A Kansas Fourth

--
Jeff
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Oh, Jeff, this is one of my all-time favorite stories!

Anyone who hasn't read it, do it now! The timing couldn't be better. Those going on long car rides, print it off and take it with you. smile

Annie (off to re-read it for the millionth time smile )

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I second that! A Kansas Fourth was one of the first batch of stories I read off the Archive when I joined FoLCdom and I have very fond memories of it.

Waffy, cute and sweet it was a joy to read about Lois and Clark just having a good time and enjoying each other's company and, boy, did it take care of those pesky LNCWS which were plaguing me at the time, as the news that the show had been cancelled had just filtered through.

Definitely one to recommend!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I just finished reading it.

Wow! What a ROTFLOLly story!! I loved it.

I hope I don't have to go quoting, or I'll end up quoting the whole story!!

Perfect - not just for July 4th (we do not celebrate it here anyway - lol), but for anytime.

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
Features Writer
ditto the others
this is one of my favorite stories and one in the first group of stories I read after joining the archive.
merry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
AWWW I LOved that! I never read it before. What a sweet story. Is there a part 2? Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Blogger
Blogger
Just what the July 4th weekend needed!

That was a love story for Kansas as much as for Lois and Clark and it was irresistible.
clap clap clap
Thank you,
claire

"Perfectionism spells paralysis." - Winston Churchill
P
Blogger
Blogger
P
This was a really nice 4th story and it certainly brought back memories of my K-State days. But no mention of submarine races at Tuttle for Lois and Clark? I'm probably showing my age with that comment because I was at K-State in the days when they never won a football game. It's a great setting for a Fourth of July story. Thanks for reminding us and giving us a real flavor of Kansas in summer.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Jeff,

I had never read this before. What a great story! Thanks so much for shamelessly plugging it! I would have missed it altogether if you hadn't.

As others here have said, there were so many great lines in this story, copying them all would make for a very long post. But, I just had to comment on one of my favorites. An angry Lois has been put on hold. Screaming, she slams down the phone and glares at it.

If the phone could crawl away it would have.
That line just cracked me up!!!

Thanks for this great story!

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
J
jwb Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Thanks for all the kind words!

We spent the day up there recently, like I said, and I took some pictures. As soon as I get themd developed, I'll probably post a little something for you all to see. I think "A Kansas Fourth" probably qualifies as the first fanfic to be illustrated (even if it is with ASCII graphics). I took some pictures of the tubes, so we'll see if they came out.

No, there was no sequel. Wow! Another K-Stater on the board! I, too, was there back in the days when they never won a football game. I have to admit, however, the submarine race comment has me stumped. Then again, I've forgotten more than I know, so if you could tickle a memory for me, it might help (time frame for my stint there was late 1980's).

Glad everyone enjoyed it. I can remember thinking I was going crazy for writing a "mammoth 7 part" story, and that I would never write anything that long again, if I ever wrote again - period. Sigh... at a measly 115K, it's barely a blip on the screen nowdays.

Again, thanks for the comments!

--
Jeff

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard