Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
More proof that 13 is an unlucky number wink .

Good job on portraying how dysfunctional Lois' family is. I feel for her.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ouch.

That pretty much sums it all up. Poor Lois... I wonder if any of the women of the family will even think about telling someone about this domestic abuse.

From my own experience, I'd tell Lois to cool it, avoid talking about Clark or Kansas, just for long enough for Sam to lose interest. After that, they can sneak. It's not like he's home that often.

But I'll wait to see what you've got planned -- y'know, it occurs to me that this might be the device to slow them down long enough to grow up, to meet again as young adults instead of teenagers, and to pick up from there... but I'll wait to see what you've got <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Such a painful chapter. mecry

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
One chapter left to wrap up all this angst? No way! I know I couldn't do it. Of course, that depends on what the outcome is going to be, and these two might choose the 'young married student' path, especially since Clark can do just about any kind of work he wants to do.

I'm sure it'll all turn out fine. I'm sure they'll find a way. I'm sure we have a happy ending coming up soon.

Of course, I've been wrong before.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
My feminist self is totally shaken by this.

I've remarked many times on how young Lois and Clark are in this story, how they aren't free to run their own lives and make all their choices for themselves. Ah, but that is a quandary shared by so many seventeen-year-olds. What you show us in this chapter is powerlessness raised to a whole new level: the powerlessness of women and children living in a house ruled by a drunken tyrant. There is this feeling of utter, utter helplessness to it, because our society backs the family tyrant up. Society assumes that the family unit will normally be more or less functional, that it will be beneficial to society if we make the family units as strong and independent as possible, and that it will cause too much upheaval to investigate and question well-functioning families just to catch the ones that don't work. Better, then, to let the tyrants threaten, beat up, blackmail and break the members of their own families than to weaken the family as an institution.

So it is better to let the family tyrants do what they do under the umbrella of protection given to all families by society; better to let the family tyrants bask in the blessings of society than to question the wisdom of always letting fathers rule. Because by supporting the family tyrants we support all heads of families, and thereby we support all families.

Obey your father, girl! Why? Because he is your father. Because society wants children to obey their fathers. Because society will let a father have his way with his own children. Because that is the way it is, and that is the way it must be.

(All right; society will usually back up those mothers who are family tyrants, too.)

And you can't ask for help if you are the child of such a father; because you are the one who will have to carry the shame of having a father like that. You are the one who will have to put up with the sympathetic or contemptuous smiles given to you by others. They will all know what your home is like, and what your father is doing to you, and no one will help you. Because there is no help for someone like you, only contempt. It is probably your own fault that you have a father like that anyway.

Well, Laura, you can hear how this gets me going. Now, of course, you are going to do something to help Lois here, I can't believe you won't. If I had been Lois, I would have seriously considered running away from home. Naturally, however, she would have to find a way to support herself first. I believe that she is already good enough to scrape out a meagre living as a reporter. But will society allow her to defy her father's wishes and leave his home and get herself a job and a place to sleep away from his control? Or will society back Sam Lane up if he comes for his daughter and forces her to get into the army?

There is a third possibility - Lois could live with the Kents as their foster daughter. That would be a lovely solution. I wonder, though, if it is possible.

I'm so looking forward to the conclusion!

Ann

woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I'll say only this-you're not ChiefPam just because you know how to yodel. Do you, by the way?

And Ann, I kind of know what you mean. My Dad is really great, but there are times when he makes a decision based on his "forty years of experience" or whatever, and there is nothing you can do to change his mind. That's nothing compared to Lois' situation, but it is difficult when the father decides to set down his opinion as unchanging law and rule the family like a totalitarian.

As for whether or not this story can be finished in one part, Laura did do it well since I read it on Fanfiction.net, but I believe you will join me in wishing for a sequel.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is such a sad part. But it's nonetheless fantastic, absolutely so. I'm glad that Lois' dad in the series isn't such a monster as this one. But you do a good job with him. Your pportrayal of this evil character is brilliant. Good job, Laura. Can't wait for the rest of the story.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for all the heartfelt reviews! I recently went and reworked chapter 13, so it's as you see here. Before it didn't really involve any physical abuse, that was later added and that was why it was fairly easy to resolve in one last part. I've added more here which makes me wonder if I might need more for chapter 14... but I'm not sure. But anyway, thanks again. I'm glad you guys are hanging with me and enjoying the story.

Laura smile1

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard