Sorry for the brevity of this chapter, but working nights is a bear and i haven't had alot of time to write.

enjoy

ps. i will dance for feedback

Men of Steele 4/?

Metropolis, New Troy 8:25 a.m.

“Lane, Kent in my office now!”

Perry White, editor and chief of the Daily Planet, was on the war path. On a good day Perry liked to consider himself a reasonable fellow. He never demanded more of his staff then they could reasonably handle. And he wasn’t one of those editors constantly looking over his reporter’s shoulder—he was more of an autonomous man, and so he hired reporter’s who were the same way. That however, did not mean he was lax when it came to deadlines, if that article wasn’t on his desk at the exact date and time he ordered then in his own words “you’ll be taking up permanent residence at the unemployment line.” And he meant it.
Most mornings usually found him in some semblance of a good mood—not today. For the fourth consecutive week the planet had been scooped by the Star. That in itself was enough to make Perry madder then a goose in a hailstorm, but to add insult to injury the Star was now the number one paper at the newsstand. Perry still wasn’t over the headache he’d gotten last night from the higher ups, when they’d heard that particular bit of information.

At present the editor was seated behind his desk, wearing a grim expression upon his face. Lane and Kent better have something good for me he thought or their going to writing classifieds faster then the King scarfs a hoagie.

As Perry was busy contemplating what he would do to his two star reporters if they didn’t produce a page one story; Lois and Clark came through the door like a whirlwind in mid argument.

“All I’m saying Lois is you could have been a little more careful—what if Cretini had seen you?”

“Relax Kent. I was in complete control of the situation.” Lois swiftly tucked a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear. and continued to speak to Clark as if her editor were not even in the room “and besides weren’t you the one who picked the lock?" Clark looked slightly sheepish at her accusation. Technically he hadn’t picked the lock--it just sort of broke in his hand.

His reticence lasted only a second however as he continued his chastisement “well who told you to dig through his files, while one of his thugs was in the room?”

“You say that as if he saw me. I was completely inconspicuous—a fly on the wall.”

“Be that as it may…”

“Excuse me, if I may be so bold as to cut in” Perry, having had enough of their bickering, interrupted. His blood pressure was shooting up by the second, and he didn’t have enough pava leaves to make it through the day as it was. “Folks, uh now I realize we’re all under an extraordinary amount of pressure to produce quality stories, and I appreciate your effort on the cretini case.”

“I feel a huge BUT coming on” Lois sighed

“But everyone’s on that story. And frankly there’s nothing left to cover.”

“but chief I think I can find a way to link Cretini’s thugs to that jewelry heist a few days ago. All I need to is establish—“she was cut off suddenly by Perry’s palms hitting his desk.

“No buts Lois. You and Kent are off the Cretini story and that’s final. Unless that is Kent here has more to offer on the subject?” The look on Perry’s face conveyed that Clark had better stay quiet, so he did. “That’s what I thought. Now, the reason I brought you in here” Perry reached into the top draw of his desk, the drawer creaking in protest as it was opened. From there he produced a white envelope with delicate gold etched script on the outside.

Lois took the envelope that had been extended to her and opened it. Inside was an invitation that read as follows:

You are cordially invited to the annual Lexcorp “Black and White Ball” to be held at the Metropolis Convention Center on the third of December. Dress code is heavily enforced. This invitation entitles you and one guest entry to the event.

“This is the swankiest party of the year chief; Only 300 people from around the world are invited. How did the planet afford these?” Everyone knew tickets to any Luthour ball would be outrageously over priced. The black and white however topped all the others; tickets usually went for around fifty thousand dollars, and were for invited guests only.

“Well the thing is…” Perry’s said his distinct southern drawl taking on a slight quiver in stark contrast to his usual confident tone. Lois took immediate note of his hesitance.

“The thing is—what? Spill it Perry” she demanded all the while getting closer and closer to his desk. Perry inhaled deeply as if preparing for a bomb to go off—which in a way he was.

“The only way the Planet got the ticket was our assurance that Lois Lane was the recipient.” Perry sat down grumpily; patiently he waited for the wrath of mad dog Lane.

“So your telling me you used MY name to get tickets to a ball that I really don’t want to go to, for a puff piece that I just as soon let Cat write.” At this point Lois was leaning over his her palms flat on the surface, legs akimbo.

“Yes” he said simply. Then, determined to remain authoritative, Perry stood and looked her straight in the eye “If you’ll recall Lois I’m the editor you’re the reporter; assignments are not optional. Now I expect you at that ball bright eyed and bushy tailed, and I don’t want to hear anymore arguments on the subject.”

Lois, realizing this was a lost battle, conceded at last.

“That’s great and all chief” Clark said, speaking up at last “but why did you want to see me?”

“Isn’t it obvious Kent?” Perry said with a smirk “Lois needs a date”

“No way Perry! I’m not going to the ball with Kent”

Lois was livid, how could Perry do this to her? It was beyond bad when Lucy tried to fix her up with one of her “Romeo of the weeks” best friends. Now Perry was trying to hook her up—well technically Clark would be going as a fellow reporter, but shouldn’t she be able to choose who she was taking to the ball?

“Lois, Kent is a damn fine reporter, and I’ve heard through the grapevine, he’s not a bad dancer either.” At that Perry waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Lois couldn’t deny either. Clark was an—okay reporter better then most and she had to admit in terms of dancing partners a girl could do a lot worse, namely Ralph. But going to the ball with Clark…<oh please Lois, you know you want go with Clarkie> I do not. <Yes you do> no I don’t <Do so! Do so! Do so!> Do not! Do not! Do not! Shut up! Why the heck am I talking to myself again? She would really need to do something about that—soon.

While she was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic that morning she’d tried to convince herself that her feelings for Clark were just a reflection of her feelings for superman. That, in essence, because Clark bore a slight resemblance to the man of Steel she had ,in her drugged out state, gotten the two confused and fell for Kent. But that annoying little voice that never seemed to go away had only laughed. Leading Lois to conclude two things; one she might have a slightly miniscule itsy bitsy teeny weenie little crush on Clark, and two she might be losing her mind due to stress.

“I’m not going with Clark Perry it’s a ball not a ho-down.” Clark, who had until this point remained mostly silent, could no longer hold his tongue. And frankly he didn’t want to.

“Look Lois, no one’s twisting you arm here. I guess if you find the prospect of going somewhere with me that horrifying then you can just call Luthour and ask him.” He spat Lex’s name as if it were the most horrible of curses. “If anyone needs me I’ll out at the swimming hole spitting tobacco juice in a cup.” As he yanked the door of the office open he nearly collided with Jimmy who was laden head to toe with boxes and bags. “Sorry Jimmy” he said sincerely, and helped him pick up the fallen packages. When they were all back in their original place he stormed out.

“What’s eating CK?’”

“Nothing Jimmy. Are those the uh items I asked you for?” Perry looked hopefully at the bags in the young photographer’s hands.

“Yeah chief! Here you go—herbal tea, bee’s pollen, pava leaves—“

“Uh Jimmy” Perry cut in sharply seeing the amused look on Lois’s face “that’s fine son leave them on the desk.”

“You sure chief because I could-“

“Desk now! You out!”

“Got ya chief” Jimmy hastened to place the bags on Perry’s desk, and then rushed out of the office like he’d been scalded.

Turning his attention back to Lois Perry spoke “Lois I know how much you like to put on a brave face—“ Lois opened her mouth to object but Perry cut her off “Hold on now hon. You and Kent are the best team I’ve got; hell you could be the best ever. I don’t want something as silly as a ball coming between you.”

“Partnership is just like Marriage you may not like the other person, but there’s only one thing you can do about that.”

“Kill them.” Lois said with a semi serious grin.

“No” Perry sighed “fake it. Now get out there and make me proud honey”

“Fine” Lois sighed in defeat, “but don’t expect me and Kent to get all chummy. I’m only doing this for the sake of the paper.” With that Lois left the office.

Perry smiled “just make sure you don’t mess this up.” He said, not even remotely thinking of the ball.

“Hey Clark!” Lois sidled up to Clark’s desk wearing a big grin. Clark was sure if he hadn’t been the man of Steele he would have drown in it’s insincerity. “So partner” Lois said with a bit to much enthusiasm “What color tux are you going to rent. That way I’ll know what wear.”

“Don’t you know Lois? All us farm boys wear cover halls to parties. That way when the pig wrestling contest comes around we’re prepared.” Clark rolled his eyes and returned to typing his story notes.

Realizing Clark wasn’t buying it in the slightest, Lois dropped the act “alright Kent you know and I know that I really don’t want to go this ball, and we both know that I certainly don’t want to go with you.”

“Really, you don’t want to go with me Lois? What a surprise.” He slammed the folder he’d been flipping through back onto his desk.

“What is your problem Clark? You’ve had this attitude all day, ever since we were at Cretini’s”

“You mean ever since you dragged me to Cretini’s to put our lives on the line. Lois you are without a doubt the most pigheaded woman I’ve ever met.”

“And what’s that supposed to mean? Just because I take a few professional risks now and then—“

“A few?!” Clark laughed incredulous “Lois, your in a life and death situation almost bi-weekly.”

“Oh! Well I suppose you want me to be like you. Good old Clark. Never a sock out of place never takes any chances. God forbid he live one moment of his life spontaneously. I think you’d have a conniption if your day wasn’t perfectly planned out the night before!”

By now a rather large crowd had gathered around Clark’s desk. It wasn’t uncommon for Lane and Kent to argue over stories now and then, but something about this seemed different.

The two reporters continued their heated debacle, never once giving heed to the on-lookers.

“That’s rich coming from you.” Clark said crossing his arms defensively.

“Meaning what exactly?” Lois matched Clark’s stance her voice raising an octave

“You are so willing to put your life on the line for a story, for that next Kerth Award. But when it comes to how you really feel and what you really want for yourself personally you hide behind sarcasm and indifference.”

“So what are you psychic now? Newsflash Kent, my personally feelings are exactly that MINE, and with whom I do or do not discuss them with is my own damn business!”

“If that’s how you want it Lois fine! From now on I’ll stay out of your life, and you stay out of mine.”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

Lois collected herself in a half hazard attempt at remaining professional, “I’ll pick you up Saturday at seven. Make sure your ready.” She turned sharply addressing the large crowd “Don’t you have jobs!”

Swiftly the crowd dispersed, not wanting to be on the receiving end of Lois Lane’s legendary temper.

Clark stared unblinkingly as Lois retreated to the elevator. Suddenly his righteous anger fled; sadness quickly snuggling into it’s place. What was wrong with him? All those horrible things he’d said, they sounded like they came from another man completely.

Lois is in love with Superman. Why would she want to settle for Clark Kent? He suddenly didn’t blame her for reacting the way she had.

Deeply ashamed and not wanting to embarrass himself further, Clark turned back to his desk.

Had he only stayed a second longer, he would have seen the single tear falling slowly down Lois’s face as the elevator doors shut.

New Rule: Don't call me when you're stuck in traffic. It's not my fault radio sucks. And did it ever occur to you that there wouldn't be so much traffic if people like you put down the phone and concentrated on the road? Besides, I can't talk now--I'm in the car behind you, trying to watch a DVD.~Bill Maher