Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! thumbsup

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Great chapter, Rac! I love you you've captured the ambience of the courtroom, the ebb and flow of the dueling attorneys using the witnesses as weapons to bludgeon each other. And Clark did manage to respond in a manner which preserves both his dignity and the public's perception of his ability to do his job while relating the horrors he was forced to undergo.

And Lois's diary/journal/article/confession/communique was wonderful! You've presented her as a woman who has been on the brink of complete breakdown for quite some time, but since she's found this outlet for her pent-up frustration I think she may be okay. Everyone needs at least one release valve (I know I use fanfic at times) and committing her worst pain to paper (virtually speaking) should work for Lois.

Thanks for the snapshot (pun intended) of Jimmy. He's grown, he's matured, and he's taking care of his own business now. He should be around twenty-five or so by now, so his continued maturity is a natural step.

Clark's examination of his wedding ring was so insightful. He saw the ring as still strong, still powerful, still his tie to home, yet it's damaged and scarred, much as Clark himself is. He's got to wonder just how badly damaged their relationship is, and how hard they'll have to work to repair it, and just how much Lois is willing to work with him. This, combined with the previous chapter's dream about Lois, is an outstanding lead-in to the third part of your excellent trilogy, when they try to work out how to love each other once again. That story is sure to be an angst-fest!

Oh, for the record, I don't begrudge you not reading my WIP while you're working on yours. I know how it can be:

Wow that looks great think I'll read it yeah it was great now I'll work on my story type-type-type-type-type that looks great too ARRGH it's what I just read!

I ask only that you read mine when you're finished with yours. smile

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Rac, since I'm pressed for time as usual, and since I loved Terry's feedback, I'm going to quote pretty much all of his feedback and comment on that. (Thanks, Terry!)

Great chapter, Rac! I love you you've captured the ambience of the courtroom, the ebb and flow of the dueling attorneys using the witnesses as weapons to bludgeon each other. And Clark did manage to respond in a manner which preserves both his dignity and the public's perception of his ability to do his job while relating the horrors he was forced to undergo.
I absolutely agree! The courtroom scene was excellently done, not least "the ebb and flow" of the proceedings. I loved how you showed us Clark fighting against his wish to give in to his emotions. In the end, when he did give in to them after all, it was incredibly effective:

"You had every reason to twist my client's political opposition to your leadership into these scurrilous charges, didn't you?"

"No," Clark replied, trying desperately to keep his voice steady. He closed his eyes. It was almost over. He just needed to get through this. Then he could go home. He could be with Lois again. He needed to do this so he could finally keep his promise to her.
"Your client's opposition to my leadership was hardly limited to the political. He had me shot, thrown in chains, and nearly starved to death. He personally beat me unconscious so many times I can't remember them all. And he threatened to kill me. Over and over again." By the time he finished, his voice was barely above a whisper, but it didn't matter. The entire courtroom was silent. Every pair of eyes was focused on him.
You make us feel Clark's anguish, Rac. And you definitely made the entire courtroom feel it, in a way that was not unseemly and did not damage Clark's dignity or the legal usefulness of his testimony.

Well, back to Terry's feedback:

And Lois's diary/journal/article/confession/communique was wonderful! You've presented her as a woman who has been on the brink of complete breakdown for quite some time, but since she's found this outlet for her pent-up frustration I think she may be okay. Everyone needs at least one release valve (I know I use fanfic at times) and committing her worst pain to paper (virtually speaking) should work for Lois.
Can't say that I use fanfic to get rid of my frustrations, but otherwise I love how Terry put this, and I couldn't agree more. Writing down everything she feels, bombarding the poor sheet of paper and/or computer screen with her blackest, angriest feelings, should do so much to help Lois put things in perspective. Writing everything down will always be a relief, and knowing she hasn't burdened Martha and Jonathan with the full brunt of her anger and frustration will feel so good, too. And if she dares to read what she herself has written, she will get a clearer idea of what she really needs to talk about and try to solve, probably with the help of others, and which of her reactions are merely gripings, so that she needs to get over them.

Thanks for the snapshot (pun intended) of Jimmy. He's grown, he's matured, and he's taking care of his own business now. He should be around twenty-five or so by now, so his continued maturity is a natural step.
I, too, loved that part with Jimmy. The portrait of Jimmy itself is quite moving, how this extremely good but previously very young and somewhat childish boy has grown into a caring, compassionate, insightful young man.

I loved this:

On the page was one photograph, larger than the others, and centered. It was her, sitting on the porch swing, her eyes closed, holding her sleeping toddler in her arms. His cheek was pillowed on her shoulder, her hand cradling the back of his head.
This reminds me of our Western culture's iconical images of tender motherhood: it might have been a photograph of the madonna and the child.

(My only complaint is this:

"They're beautiful," she whispered reverently. The black and white photos of her son
Black and white? No! I fail to see how the removal of colour can make a picture better or more beautiful.)

Back to Terry's feedback again:

Clark's examination of his wedding ring was so insightful. He saw the ring as still strong, still powerful, still his tie to home, yet it's damaged and scarred, much as Clark himself is. He's got to wonder just how badly damaged their relationship is, and how hard they'll have to work to repair it, and just how much Lois is willing to work with him.
I love how Terry sees Clark's somewhat battered wedding ring as a metaphor for the state of his relationship with Lois. But instead of focusing on the scratched surface of the ring, I prefer to see that the ring is, indeed, still strong, as Terry put it. The essence of it is undamaged:

Its inscription – 'I have loved you from the beginning' – was still clear despite the slightly weathered condition of the metal.
I see this ring as very hopeful. Yes, the surface of Clark and Lois's relationship has been permanently scratched and nicked. Lois and Clark will not be able to just pick up their relationship where they left it. But the essence of their love is undamaged.

Well, up until now I have quoted all of Terry's feedback. Unlike Terry, however, I hope that the third part of this trilogy will not be a true angst-fest!

Thanks for providing me with so much structure and well-put thought for my feedback, Terry, and thank you for a great chapter, Rac!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
I really liked how Clark seems once again to have found strength from his thoughts of Lois.
He could almost hear her voice, gently encouraging him, promising him that he could do this.
I was surprised that Nor's attorney was permitted to pursue that line of questioning at the beginning - it seemed to be irrelevant to the charges. But I suspect you were reminding us that New Krypton operates by quite different rules. So who knows how the trial will go? But Clark's part in it is finished. So... can he go home now? Please?

Jimmy's gift to Lois was beautiful. smile

Like the others, I loved Clark's contemplation of the ring. Not sure how to interpret it - maybe both ways. smile Somehow it was sad, too, a symbol of a dream that never quite was. Clark sees the ring as
still solid and complete.
but how can Lois ever see it that way after what she's been through?

Lois's turning to writing her experiences seemed a natural catharsis for someone who was a writer; hopefully, that act will help her. Trust Martha to know that there's a difference between Lois writing the words and actually being able to talk about what she's gone through. smile Interesting what she didn't write about - she didn't write about Clark. Why I wonder?

c.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
He turned the ring again to look at its inner surface. Its inscription – 'I have loved you from the beginning' – was still clear despite the slightly weathered condition of the metal. He hoped Lois would forgive him for not keeping it safer, for bringing it back to her scarred and bruised. But though its surface was imperfect, and it wore its hard years and its troubles prominently, it was still strong; it was still solid and complete
That just sums up everything doesn't it?

More soon smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Trust Carol to point out something I should have seen myself. Lois didn't write about Clark.

True, she was putting down her pain and frustration at not being able to do everything she felt she should have or could have done, and she was focused on her more recent history. But maybe it is significant, maybe her omission of any mention of Clark means that she has taken a mental step towards moving on. Maybe this is that "Lois moving on" story that got so much play a few weeks ago.

Even if it isn't, the damaged ring represents (to me, at least) Clark's recognition that his love for Lois has been damaged. I agree that it is still strong, still vibrant, still alive, but his image of Lois is from four years in the past. She's changed. He's changed. And neither of them can possibly anticipate how much the years have impacted both of them.

Unlike Ann, I don't see how the third part of this story can be anything but an 'angst-fest' of the highest order. But I plan to read it, because I have faith that you'll allow Lois and Clark to find their way back to each other. And even if it isn't like it was before (how oculd it be?), it will be all right.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

Maria, I'm glad you enjoyed this section and Clark's testimony. More is coming up now.

Hi Terry, thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the courtroom scene. Being a lawyer, this is my element and it was fun to write. I'm also glad you liked the scene with Clark examining Lois's ring - it is definitely symbolic of what Clark has been through and how he's changed. And thanks for your understanding. I haven't been reading much fanfic at all recently, but I look forward to reading your story.

Ann, I agree that Terry's feedback was terrific and well worth quoting. As to how much angst there will be in Part III, well, we'll all see. I've sent the last part of this story to my betas and will be starting Part III soon. I also really liked writing the scene with Lois and Jimmy. I think he has grown up to the point where he can be friends with Lois on an equal footing. And his gift was very thoughtful (I'll admit to being a fan of black and white photography - it allows you to concentrate on light and shadows).

Carol, I'm glad you liked this part. In truth, you can get away with a good bit on cross examination of a witness. You can't outright harass the witness, but you have a right to forcefully question their testimony and their motives in defense of your client. Nor's lawyer is a jerk, but his actions weren't beyond the pale.

I agree that Clark's reflections on the ring are bittersweet. Both he and Lois have been through a lot and have sacrificed a lot. Their lives will never be the same and they can't get back what they've given up. But they do still love each other. We'll have to wait and see if that's enough.

Carol and Terry, as for why Lois doesn't write about Clark, I cut the poor woman a little slack. She can only have one psychological epiphany at a time. wink

Thanks for commenting, LLWB. I'm glad you liked that scene. More is on its way!

Thanks again, everyone.

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard