Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37444 01/17/07 12:47 AM
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Hey, great beginning. I like Jon's flashbacks. And I'm curious why he got shot.

Keep on writing and tell us more!

And you might use the blue arrow next time so that your story is easier to find...

Well, this is the first Fanfic I've written for anything. Turned out to be quite a lot longer than I thought it would be. Probably not all that good though
Don't think so. wink I somethimes think that I wrote all crap and then someone says it's the best I've ever written. (That's either saying that my writing skills are awful, or that it wasn't crap after all. Well, I won't decide about that laugh )

<No secret is worth a human life>, Dad had once said. Still, he couldn't help but feel a deep sense of guilt. <Mom, Dad - I'm sorry> was his last conscious thought before scenes from his life started rushing into his mind.
thumbsup

Perhaps you can write some statement concerning the time, that would make the reading a bit easier.

Come back with more!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#37445 01/17/07 04:52 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Well, this is the first Fanfic I've written for anything. Turned out to be quite a lot longer than I thought it would be. Probably not all that good though
Congrats on writing your first story!!

Jonathan Kent II groaned as his body protested under the impact of the bullets. As he fell to the ground, he wondered if he had made the right decision. However, the thought lingered only momentarily before he quashed it. <No secret is worth a human life>, Dad had once said. Still, he couldn't help but feel a deep sense of guilt. <Mom, Dad - I'm sorry> was his last conscious thought before scenes from his life started rushing into his mind.
This part really grabs your attention and makes you want to read more...great job.

"No no, now that you mention it, I do have a lot of questions about that, but I was thinking of something else." Jonathan started while he hardened his face and mustered the courage to ask his question.

"Why tights? Why a cape? You're a grown man - don't you feel ridiculous?"
rotflol

I can't wait until you post more!!!! laugh

Clark: "Can I have a rat chief? Can I, huh? Please?"

Perry: "Clark, do you want me to send you to the dark room?"

Clark: "The dark room?"
#37446 01/17/07 05:04 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great start and wonderful flashbacks!

The Tempus lines were great and I could almost imagine Lois and Clark's reaction to them. laugh

One, tiny, nit-pick though. The shift between the present and the flashbacks and back is a little jarring, especially at the end since there is also a shift of point of view.

Maybe make the distinction between a pause between flashback and the shift to the present a little more distinctive by using two lines of asterisks or something similar?

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
#37447 01/17/07 05:14 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hey, vsp, welcome to the ranks of the addicted! Many professional writers, when asked why they write, reply that they can't not write. If you continue this story as well as you've begun it, you'll understand what I mean. Great start!

I'm sure it will become clear soon, but we don't yet know how old Jon is when this shooting takes place. Is he an adult? Is he still a teen? I get the distinct impression that he isn't the baby on the patio at the end of Family Hour, that he's Clark's natural son, but his invulnerability hasn't developed yet if that's true or he wouldn't have been hurt. And what was he doing when he was shot? Was he trying to help someone in danger? Did he walk into a convenience store as it was being robbed? Was it a school shooting? And will the doctors who treat him realize how different he is?

This is going to be interesting, vsp. Keep it going!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#37448 01/17/07 06:20 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The part about the secret makes me think someone threatened him with "Tell us who Superman is or you die" kind of thing.

As far as his age, I'd guess early teens sine he's in high school but hasn't developed invulnerability.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#37449 01/17/07 06:40 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Very nice start! You've got my attention. I'm curious to see where you're going to take this.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#37450 01/17/07 06:58 PM
V
vsp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
V
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I had actually intended to write an actual story with a plot and everything, with the flashback scenes just being a small introductory part of the overall story.

I guess I just didn't realize that when you put your thoughts on paper...they tend to take up a ton of room. The result was a few hours spent and none of the major points of the story that I had envisioned touched on. Oh well.

Thanks for the blue arrow tip - I didn't know about that.

Also, I have to agree with Aria's comments about the disjunction between the shifts between past and present...wasn't really sure how to handle that. The double asterisk lines sound promising though.

#37451 01/21/07 09:29 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
"Clark Kent of the Daily Planet" he answered in his usual cheerful voice. He listened to what the caller had to say. In an instant his smile disappeared, and his face became a mask of horror. Oh no, something really was wrong. Terribly wrong.

"Yes, I understand." he said in what could only be described as a monotone whisper as he slowly put the phone back down on the receiver.
This is a nice scene, as well.

You write both humor and intensity equally well. However, this is a bit disjointed without the rest of the story backing it up. I suggest you make this part one of however many parts to give yourself the opportunity to flesh it out a bit more.

I also recommend the use of a beta reader. I find it gives me a ton of confidence knowing that someone has already read through it who will tell me what parts I need to rework (not saying you need to rework any of this, but I usually need to) and what parts are already working.

All in all, I'm finding this a solid beginning, particularly for a first post.

And now for some fluff:
I always wondered why Arielle gave up her life in the sea. I mean, her father could have turned Eric into a mermaid, couldn't he?
Because who would watch a movie or read a book entitled, "The Little Merman"

Also don't forget to put the "The Longest Five Minutes" in the box for the title at the bottom of "Flashbacks".

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard