Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
oooh! another part! smile

Just when I'd taken off my boots -- you know the type, the ones with the reinforced steel toe... I'm thinking I need to put them back on, cause I see some Clark-kicking is going to be needed here. wink

“Mmm, you have a little sauce...”

“Where?” He started to reach up for his face, but she beat him there. She applied her mouth to his skin and slowly and methodically removed the sauce with the tip of her tongue. She thought she heard a guttural moan escape from him but before she could question it, he was kissing her.
oooh! yummy! smile

Had she ever kissed Scardino like this? What if she ended up with Dan once she realized that Clark had broken up with her?
Hey! Hang on, Clark! Now you deserve a SERIOUS kick! You're thinking *that* while you're kissing her? Big dummy!

Clark thought back furiously, trying to remember when he had promised to take her flying. It was ironic. She was the one with the missing memories but he was the one who couldn’t seem to remember.
Nice! Love that! smile

Clark fought the urge to embrace her and instead took hold of her below her ribcage on either side, gently raising her into the air a few inches. “Put your feet on top of mine.”
ooooh! Très Superman Returns, isn't it. smile I love that scene in the movie, it's really so... yummy and aww and.. all that. smile

For just a little while Clark could pretend he hadn’t told her that they couldn’t be together.
I feel a kick coming... really... I'm getting a real big urge...

Clark set them down gently inside her apartment and started to unwrap himself from her, but she held on to him tighter and moved her lips up to his ear. “If you ask me, I’ll say yes,” she whispered encouragingly.
If this man had even but one ounce of good sense, he'd just ask her. Not push her away. Ask her, dammit. Ask her, Clark!!! Cause you just know we're all standing here getting ready to kick you and hit you over the head with blunt objects now... just cut the cr*p and ASK HER. There.

How could their being together be wrong when it felt so right?
mad mad

Ya know... I don't even want to kick him anymore, I feel so sorry for him. frown gah! I wish he'd stop being dense, he's just miserable now and it's making me sad. frown

How many times was he going to have to lose her before she remembered everything?
Oh, silly man! You haven't lost her. Just propose already and let's all pretend you never broke up with her. You can tell her later when she remembers that you realized that she'd been right about you being wrong and that breaking up was not the answer.

...You know, I actually talk to the characters on TV like that. But this is... oooh, just a few notches past sane, isn't it? I'm talking to fictional characters in a story - there isn't even an actor on screen that I can throw a pillow at! gah! I'm so fit for the looney bin... LOL

With or without Clark.
No! No! Not without! Not without!!!

Dammit... I'm so crying now. crud. mecry

Looking forward to the next part!! notworthy

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Where?” He started to reach up for his face, but she beat him there. She applied her mouth to his skin and slowly and methodically removed the sauce with the tip of her tongue. She thought she heard a guttural moan escape from him but before she could question it, he was kissing her.
Are you sure this is the PG folder?

Clark had acted without thinking, and now that his brain had kicked in, he wasn’t about to stop. He had missed kissing her. He had missed it a lot. The eager pull of her mouth against his made him feel more alive than anything else ever had. He knew he should stop this but he didn’t want to. And he couldn’t even blame it on the wine, either. It was entirely Lois. He was drunk on Lois.
Don’t blow it, Clark…

He was tensing up. Lois could feel the tightness as it flowed through his body. He was afraid. She didn’t want him to feel afraid or hesitant. It had to be difficult to propose to someone only to be rejected the first time. What if he couldn’t work up the nerve to tell her what had happened... or to ask her again? She wanted him to feel her love, her acceptance.
Ah, poor Lois. She’s expecting a proposal and he’s going to be a lunkhead.

His heart ached. He had promised her so much and it must have hurt her deeply when he broke up with her. For a vague, unsettling moment he wondered if he was even more to blame for her current amnesia. Had it been the shock of his breaking things off between them that had caused this? Was this how her mind was coping with the loss? Was her mind resetting itself each night to the last happy memory she had of him?
Yeah, is this the reason, Clark?

Clark was suddenly determined that he wouldn’t hide anything else from her ever again.

And yet he didn’t want to tell her what had happened between them.
You can’t have it both ways, Clark.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wow, DJ, Sue, this chapter turned out to be an incredibly interesting and thought-provoking description of Clark's feelings and reactions concerning his breakup with Lois. I so admire how you managed to write his inner conflict, how he was almost torn apart by his two conflicting wishes regarding Lois: his aching need to be with her, and his supposedly noble, morally admirable decision to break up with her.

I still think that Clark is a supreme lunkhead, I still want to kick him, and I still hate what he is doing to Lois. But I don't hate what I think are his true reasons for doing what he is doing. I don't approve of those reasons, either, but I think I'm beginning to see the complexity of his reasons for his rejection of Lois, reasons that I think he may not entirely understand himself.

I apologize very much for bringing President Bush and the Iraq war into this. I don't want to discuss the merits of the Iraq war at all, and I don't want to discuss whether President Bush is "objectively" right or wrong about what he is doing. I only want to bring up the undeniable fact that most Americans are against the war and want President Bush to begin taking home the troops, whereas the President seems determined to do the exact opposite, namely, send more troops. Again, please, let's not discuss what is the right or wrong course for America in Iraq - and please remember that none of us has a crystal ball, so we can't know what is the right course - but let's consider this question instead: When he's facing so much opposition, what could be the reason for President Bush's refusal to change his mind about Iraq?

Personally, I think it could be the President's need to show everyone, himself included, that he is the President. He was elected to make precisely this kind of decisions. He made the decision about Iraq and invested almost all his own prestige into this project. He asked the American people to trust him on this one. If he were to back down now, wouldn't that mean he'd be admitting to everybody that he now thinks he was more or less wrong about Iraq? And if he was wrong about that, how can he ask the American people to trust him again? Wouldn't he be undermining his own presidency in the eyes of the public if he were to change his mind about Iraq? (Again, we don't know the future, and for all we know President Bush may still be right about Iraq.)

Now let's consider Clark's stubborn clinging to his own decision to break up with Lois. His reasons for sticking by that decision can't be the same as President Bush's reasons for sticking by his own Iraq policy. Unlike Bush, Clark (or Superman) has not made his decision publicly known. He doesn't have to fear that people will laugh at Superman or lose their respect for Superman if he is seen vacillating back and forth in his relationship with Lois Lane.

Nevertheless, Clark is Superman, and there is at least some similarities between Superman and the President of the United States. Unlike the President, Superman has not been elected. But just like the President, Superman has to make life-and-death decisions affecting other people all the time. And just like the President, or perhaps even more than the President, Superman needs - absolutely, totally needs - the trust of the general public. And, I think this is true both for Superman and for the President: they are not comfortable asking for the trust of the public, if they are not ready to trust themselves.

Personally, therefore, I think that President Bush may be sticking to his Iraq policy because he needs to believe in his own decisions. Similarly, I think Clark may be sticking to his own decision to break up with Lois because he needs to believe in his own ability to do the right thing when he is faced with life-and-death decisions. He decided that that his own relationship with Lois was endangering her life. How can he believe in his own ability to be Superman again, how can he believe in his own right to bodily interfere with other people's lives again, if he can't trust his own ability to know when people are truly in danger and when they are not?

The simple fact that Clark made up his mind once and for all that he and Lois can't be together because of Superman means that he now has to stick by that decision so that he won't lose faith in his own right and ability to sit in "judgement" of other people and bodily interfere with them when he decides that they are in danger. If he is to believe in his right to make decisions for other people as Superman, he thinks he has to stick by his decision to protect Lois from having a relationship with Clark Superman Kent.

So why does he think it is all right for Lois to still be friends with Clark Superman Kent, then? I think that is a decision he has made entirely for selfish reasons. Clark likes to friends with Lois. He has never made love to her, and he has never had sex even once in his entire life, so the idea of giving up a sexual relationship with Lois doens't strike him as all that devastating. After all, as a virgin he doesn't know what he is missing. But he knows what it is like to be friends with Lois, and he would miss it terribly if he were to lose it. He also knows what it is like to have Lois smiling at him and showing her affection for him, and he would miss that so badly, too, if he couldn't have it anymore. So he wants to put the brake on things, freeze time, be friends with Lois, watch her give up all other men for her chaste friendship with him, and feel comfortable about his own ability to understand the dangers that threaten others, and feel comfortable about his own right to be Superman, and to sit in judgement of others.

I guess this sounds very harsh, this thing about sitting in judgement of others. But honestly, that is what Superman has to do. And we all know that Clark only wants to use his powers to make the world a better place. He wants to save people, and he can't always ask people if they want to be saved.

To summarize, I believe that Clark made the decision to break up with Lois for her sake, to protect her, but I believe that he sticks by that decision for his own sake, to bolster his own belief that he can do the right thing when he is making decisions for others.

But Clark, this time you have to back down. You have to understand that you have the right to make decisions for others sometimes, but that doesn't mean you have the right to make decisions for others every time.

This is utterly fascinating, DJ and Sue.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi, DJ! And Sue! This time I'm not late. Hee hee. laugh

“Mmm, you have a little sauce...”

He reached up, cupping her face with one hand, his fingers gently pulling her down towards him to deepen the kiss.

Clark had acted without thinking, and now that his brain had kicked in, he wasn’t about to stop. He had missed kissing her. He had missed it a lot. The eager pull of her mouth against his made him feel more alive than anything else ever had. He knew he should stop this but he didn’t want to. And he couldn’t even blame it on the wine, either. It was entirely Lois. He was drunk on Lois.
Hummmm.... Delicious. Luscious. Yummy. drool

“Take me flying.” She thought back to the card she had found in her journal this morning.

<‘Still dreaming about that night in the clouds...’>

She couldn’t remember that night, but if she couldn’t remember it, then maybe she could try to relive it.
Sad, but sweet.

She had been willing to stay beside him, to assure him that he wasn’t alone but, instead, he had left her.
A stupid decision, Clark. razz

Clark set them down gently inside her apartment and started to unwrap himself from her, but she held on to him tighter and moved her lips up to his ear. “If you ask me, I’ll say yes,” she whispered encouragingly.
I'm shouting: ask her, ask her! hyper

Wrong.

He had been so wrong.

How could their being together be wrong when it felt so right?

So positively and unquestionably right.

His life was so chaotic, so hectic. Nothing ever felt as right as when he was with her.
Does it mean he has changed his mind about that stupid decision? wildguy

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, you have finally arrived. I was yelling at the screen! I only do that when I am so into the story I can see it in my head. Elisabeth will confirm this.

I'm thinking that the Lois from Elisabeth's No, In Any Language needs to meet your Clark and tear him a new opening, preferably somewhere in the lower regions.

His 'logic' is soooooooo stuuuuupiid!!!!!! I am so mad at the writers of the episode for doing this to us!

James.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
What? So he decides he DOES want to be with her, then tells her the truth and now they're not together? Why oh why can't Superman just lie for goodness sake?! wallbash I just adore the scene which Clark on his knees. I so wish he would have just stayed there and proposed. How sweet would that have been? Awwww. Ok, ok, back to reality now. It didn't happen but it will, right? wink Do I really have to say how much I love this story? laugh

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! thumbsup

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So sad help Make things better soon! keep going! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Man, the truth finally comes out!

I think it's true what they say; hurt is a lot worse than being mad. And Lois is really, really hurt. I hate to say the ugly words but it makes me wonder what is going to happen when Lois sees just-call-me-Dan...

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Loved the part with the pasta sauce it has so much nfic potential. Im loving Clarks inner turmoil here its heart wrenching but he desrves it. Lois' reaction to Clark telling her the truth is so sad I almost wanna cry for her, hopefully in the morning when she learns everything again she'll decide shes angry intead, LOis is so much more productive when shes angry.

Originally posted by LaraMoon:

...You know, I actually talk to the characters on TV like that. But this is... oooh, just a few notches past sane, isn't it? I'm talking to fictional characters in a story - there isn't even an actor on screen that I can throw a pillow at! gah! I'm so fit for the looney bin... LOL

I know exactly what you mean and Im glad Im not the only one.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Beautiful flight.

For a vague, unsettling moment he wondered if he was even more to blame for her current amnesia. Had it been the shock of his breaking things off between them that had caused this?
I've been wondering this, too.

“If you ask me, I’ll say yes,” she whispered encouragingly.
After this, I hate that he had to tell her. But I accept that he did have to.

Great chapter!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello everyone!

Lara, don't take those boots off yet. <g> Although I'm not sure what good steel-toed boots will be against steel. laugh

Yes, apparently I wasn't the only one who wondered how Lois could fly with Superman without losing her shoes - Sue said she also wondered that. So I thought the standing on his boots thing from SR was nice. laugh

Okay, I won't admit to talking to the characters out loud blush but I talk to them in my head plenty enough. goofy

You cried? Yeah! Oh, sorry - that sounded kind of demented, didn't it? goofy

Hi Nancy. Yes, this is in the PG folder. goofy I love your comment: "You can't have it both ways, Clark" because I have almost that exact line in an upcoming part. laugh

Ann! Wow! I always love how deeply you read into stories. You find all kinds of hidden meanings in them (some that were done on purpose and others that just fell into place accidentally - I love it when that happens. <g>) I'm glad you're enjoying the story and finding it so fascinating. Thanks.

Hello Andreia. Nope, you weren't late. <g>

Does it mean he has changed his mind about that stupid decision? [Grovel]
A VERY good question indeed...

DJ, I'm missing your nfics. You need to go back to dark side. - Sue is back to nfic. - Follow in her steps. [Wink]
Ahem blush moving on... laugh

NOOOOOOO! Where are my tissues? -
Bwaaaaa! This is so sad! I'm crying my heart out! -
laugh Again, I am always excited when I can move someone to even just *sniffle* - but *cry*? Cry is even better. laugh I'm glad you liked that scene with him on his knees - it was one of my favorites in this part (that and the kiss against the wall - Sue and I "love" those walls...) And yes, a proposal there would have been sweet - but yes, you're right... let's get back to reality. <g>

Do you really have to say how much you love this story? No, I guess not, but Sue and I really won't mind if you do. <g>

Hello Maria! Yes, the list did get a little longer, didn't it? laugh

Hi Laura! We'll see what we can do... but it might be a little later, than sooner.

Jen! I'm thinking about you today and hope you make it through the day okay. Yes, hurt is worse than mad (like Clark said in WHALTTA) and yes, you will be seeing some of "just-call-me-Dan" but I think not until the part after the next one.

Hello Ambar...

LOis is so much more productive when shes angry.
Truer words have not been spoken... <g> Thanks for the comments.

Hi there Lisa. Glad you enjoyed it and can "accept" what Clark felt he had to do. Lois did make him promise to tell the truth, after all.

Thank you so much everyone! The comments were wonderful. My muse, Babbles, is feeling so inspired that I'm off to write a little bit (like 4 parts from now...)

-- DJ angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Columnist
Columnist
So sad, but beautifully written! I feel so sorry for Lois. She was expecting a proposal, and instead, she found out that he'd broken up with her. I wouldn't want to remember that either.

Can I jump on the let's-all-kick-Clark bandwagon?

I'm hooked and waiting anxiously for the next part!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story! More soon!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Well written, Sue & DJ.

It shows how deeply Clark feels. He's not a lunkhead; he's conflicted. Fear v. desire. We've been awfully hard on Clark, forgetting that Lois has had the same conflict, too.

He's finally making some good choices (after a few bad ones).

Lois is making some good choices, too. She sees the conflict, despite her own grief. She's also using those God-given wiles well, too. laugh

--->We must remember to use our powers only for good, ladies. sloppy

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Symbolicangel.

Yes, poor Lois. What a shock to your system to expect a proposal and instead be given a memory of rejection. Ugh. Yes, you can jump on the bandwagon if you want - but you might regret it later... or maybe not... <g>

Hello Artemis! Thank you! I hope to post part 8 later tonight or first thing tomorrow...

Hi Elisabeth. How wonderfully put. <g> We'll see if they both continue to make good choices or not. angel-devil

Thanks for the additional fdk everyone. I'll see you very soon with part 8.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I haven't read or posted hardly at all in ages [though I do have S1-3 on dvd finally!! And an exhausting pregnancy to provide an excuse for curling up in bed and watching them!], but I have been reading this one and wanted to let you know I'm enjoying it - though I too would like to kick Clark. smile

More soon please smile .
CarolM

Top Banana
Top Banana
Just caught on with this story! Just superb.... thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh! I came to post part 8 and lookie! More fdk! laugh

CarolM - I'm thrilled that after you haven't been around for a while that you would choose to read this story. Thanks for the fdk and I hope you enjoy it (even if you want to kick Clark). On the "more soon" comment - well part 8 has been posted. <g>

Hi AnKS. Thanks! Glad to have you along!

-- DJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard