Next Thread
Print Thread
#3646 06/23/03 01:32 AM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Kitty!

I just read your story. You ask for suggestions on smoothing the story out, and also how to continue. I'm not a fanfic writer, myself, so I'm afraid I really don't have any suggestions on how to continue. I will tell you, from the reader's point of view, that you have a very interesting premise (Kryptonian mosquitos bringing a virus to earth). Part I leaves off with quite a cliff-hanger, and definitely makes the reader want to know what is going to happen next.

As far as smoothing the story out, I would recommend posting in the "Fanfic Related" thread, asking for a Beta Reader. A good BR would help you clean up the spelling or grammatical errors, which would make the story smoother and easier to read. Perhaps an experienced BR would also have suggestions on how to continue.

Good luck!

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#3647 06/23/03 07:46 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Adding to Vicki's sound advice, Kitty, it would also help if you added extra hard returns between paragraphs and different characters talking in dialogue. For example, instead of this:

On earth, Perry screams “Lois! Clark! One of you go and gets Superman, We have a Kryptonian ship in orbit. There are no signs of a pilot. It’s rapidly approaching Metropolis.”
Clark rushes out, “I’ll see if I can get a hold of him.”
Clark gets there in time to prevent the shuttle from crashing to the most highly populated place in Metropolis. He later sets the shuttle down near a clearing in an empty runway of the Metropolis international airport. He helps the medical and other rescue groups to go through the wreckage for survivors. As they surveyed the crews, Dr. Klein was called in and he had assets the bodies were all to be of Kryptonian in origin but upon further investigation he had found the bodies to be sucked dry of all traces of blood. But Clark’s super-hearing had picket up a heartbeat somewhere in the wreckage. He listened closely and followed it. Clark lifts the wreckage and found a young teenage man with light skin and blond hair. Clark examines him and saw that the man was indeed alive and had a nametag on. He read the nametag and it said, “Philip Henson, assistant researcher of the SRV.” Clark assumes from what he saw earlier on the remains of the ship had the initial SRV on it and after it had explained “ Science Research Vessel.”
... it would be much easier to read this:

On earth, Perry screams “Lois! Clark! One of you go and gets Superman, We have a Kryptonian ship in orbit. There are no signs of a pilot. It’s rapidly approaching Metropolis.”

Clark rushes out, “I’ll see if I can get a hold of him.”

Clark gets there in time to prevent the shuttle from crashing to the most highly populated place in Metropolis. He later sets the shuttle down near a clearing in an empty runway of the Metropolis international airport. He helps the medical and other rescue groups to go through the wreckage for survivors.

As they surveyed the crews, Dr. Klein was called in and he had assets the bodies were all to be of Kryptonian in origin but upon further investigation he had found the bodies to be sucked dry of all traces of blood. But Clark’s super-hearing had picket up a heartbeat somewhere in the wreckage. He listened closely and followed it.

Clark lifts the wreckage and found a young teenage man with light skin and blond hair. Clark examines him and saw that the man was indeed alive and had a nametag on.

He read the nametag and it said, “Philip Henson, assistant researcher of the SRV.” Clark assumes from what he saw earlier on the remains of the ship had the initial SRV on it and after it had explained “ Science Research Vessel.”
Also, breaking up long paragraphs into shorter lumps makes it much easier for the reader to follow your story. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#3648 06/23/03 08:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. help
PS
Don't let this story finish on a Decease Stories list.

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#3649 06/24/03 03:48 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
As far as smoothing the story out, I would recommend posting in the "Fanfic Related" thread, asking for a Beta Reader. A good BR would help you clean up the spelling or grammatical errors, which would make the story smoother and easier to read. Perhaps an experienced BR would also have suggestions on how to continue.
I posted one on Zoomway, and another one on another and neither one had any answered.

Hey, Kaethel, thank you for the suggestion. I'll try and see if I can break my up into smaller paragraphys. Even if I've been in the US for twenty or more years. English is still hard for me, especially the verbs.

Wow! I hate mosquitoes.
razz So, do I! I must have blood type B+ because that's the blood type they like the most. I used to live in UIC area in Chicago. It's a mosquitos city over there and I always get 60 to 65 bites each summer.

More soon, please.
laugh mariadferdez. So, you liked it? Do you want me to email it to you personally when I'm done?

confused

#3650 06/24/03 04:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Kitty,

mariadferdez. So, you liked it? Do you want me to email it to you personally when I'm done?
I'm not a BR but, I don't mind ready. blush

So, do I! I must have blood type B+ because that's the blood type they like the most. I used to live in UIC area in Chicago. It's a mosquitos city over there and I always get 60 to 65 bites each summer.
They love every type off blood. With three drop of rain and you have enough mosquitos for a week. I don't think they live that much.

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#3651 06/24/03 11:10 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Kitty, this refers to Maria's famous lists of stories which have lapsed midway through - she breaks them up into stories on Life Support, Coma, and so on, depending how long it's been since the author last posted, and Deceased Stories are stories which seem to have been abandoned and will never be finished.

You can find Maria's lists in Fanfic Related. smile

IOW - it was a nag to keep writing. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#3652 06/25/03 03:58 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I wont abandon my story. ...or not... huh ... Although I vaguely remember stopping one story where I couldn't figure out where to go next.

But this seems interesting enough to keep it going. Although you might expect a few twist and turns. I might just make this a suspense one.

They love every type off blood. With three drop of rain and you have enough mosquitos for a week. I don't think they live that much.
But UIC used to be a swamp land before they flatten it.

I've written over twenty L&C stories and only four of them made it to the fanfic.
1. lcfanfic.com
2. lcfanfic.com 2

just to name a few.

If I can find a beta reader then I'll post it also.

#3653 06/26/03 12:42 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Kitty
interesting premise
and a cliffhanger - which I hate

ditto the suggestions for easier reading
merry

#3654 06/26/03 03:33 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
interesting premise
and a cliffhanger - which I hate
confused why confused I love it.

#3655 07/22/03 03:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
P.S.
True, but UIC used to be a swamp land.

When I was living there I counted each summer I would get between 50 to 65 bites each summer. Now that I've moved north west side of Chicago, I only get 5 to ten bites per summer.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard