Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Happy holidays, everyone! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Regards,

Rac

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! thumbsup

Jen Mai knew at least enough not to cross Rae Et. "Of course," he replied, swallowing roughly.

Rae Et pulled her communicator from her greatcoat pocket. "We have some rather drowsy agents out there, don't we?" she said cryptically into the little device. "I believe it's time to rouse them."
Why are you doing this to me? thumbsup Yes!

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I was afraid Rae Et wasn't dead yet. She's like that proverbial bad penny, always turning up when she's least wanted.

The brief glimpse of Lois seems to be that of a woman who's run out of both the energy and any reason to do what she knows she needs to do, and that's a dangerous place for her to be. She might ignore a situation that needs Ultra Woman's attention, or she might go overboard and "get medieval" on some minor punk. You've set up an interesting situation for her, and I can hardly wait for the next chapter to see what she does.

Zara should tell Clark that Talan is in love with him. I think she knows, or at least she strongly suspects it. And I'm sure she knows that Clark isn't in love with Talan, is only thinking of her as a friend. Poor Talan. Nobody knows the trouble she's seen, and unless she opens up to someone she may crack.

I wonder what Clark's intention to abdicate in favor of Ching will do to alter Rae Et's treacherous schemes? Or will she just shrug and make Ching a target too? I can't believe she only wants to get Nor out of jail. Surely she feels that some retribution is in order. She's gonna try to whack somebody important.

Keep it coming! Good story, and it's not done yet!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just caught up AGAIN blush and WOW!

What a story - I am on the edge and I can't wait for more! I really, really hope that Nor and mommy dearest get what's coming to them. That woman is evil!

Happy Holidays!
Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
First of all, Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays), Rac!

Because it is Christmas, I have (as usual) little time to comment. But I have to say a few things, anyway.

Zara could see in his eyes the look of a wounded man, one who'd been brought to his knees, laid low by the cruelty of others. One who was determined, not only to stand again, but to raise up the people around him as well.
This is so beautiful. So what does it take to raise up the people around him?

Every person you share this planet with is your brother or sister. If we are to survive, we must depend on one another. If we are going to be worthy of surviving, we must take care of one another."
Long time survival requires that you recognize this. You can't just fight for yourself or for your family, but you have to consider the needs of those farther from yourself as well. Indeed, ultimately you may have to consider the needs of the entire biosphere of the world that you want your children to inherit. If you don't, your children, or your children's children's children, may inherit nothing but the wind.

I wonder what Enza's assignment as - if I understood things correctly - assistant chief counsel for the prosecution at the trial of Nor, will mean to her. Enza is not vindictive, or at the very least, I don't think so. But when you work to mete out the correct punishment for a most horrible criminal, you could probably find yourself walking a fine line between seeking justice and pursuing vengeance.

I'm very glad that Clark acquiesced to the wishes of his physician and agreed to take some mild sleeping pills to be able to sleep better. He scared me previously, when he refused. Then he seemed so frighteningly macho to me, so determined never to ask for help or show his weakness to anyone. It takes so much strength and courage to actually ask for the help you need, and to be able to do so without despising yourself, and without panicking at the thought that others may learn about your weakness.

I was very moved at the way you described Enza's fear of a relationship with Lok Sim, and his quiet, gentle reassurance that they did belong together. This was so beautiful:

Unless she actively fought it, her body would find its way into his arms, as though it belonged there.
Oh, it does belong there, Enza.

She turned to walk away, but he caught her hand. Enza froze and turned back toward the extraordinarily powerful man holding onto her. His large hand merely resting gently on hers, he used none of that strength to keep her from retreating. If she stepped away, he would let her go. But she couldn't have moved if she wanted to.
I absolutely loved this. It shows Lok Sim's gentle love, and it shows the way Enza is torn between two different feelings - her fear, which wants her to leave Lok Sim, and her incredible longing for him.

I loved, too, how she confessed the root of her fears, and the way he reassured her:

"I’m so afraid of losing you," she murmured.

"You won’t," he assured her. "You can’t."
The scene with Clark and Talan was memorable too, especially the way Talan was thinking of Clark. Krypton had changed him, and she felt guilty of forsaking him. But she was still able to find strength and hope in the way he seemed to be able to hang on to his own strength and hope.

And Rae Et has survived. Wouldn't you know it. Is it possible that the war is in fact not over?

While Clark seems to be finding new strength, Lois seems to be mentally withering. She finds it very hard to find a direction for her life.

She dodged the paper’s publishers and their dogged attempts to get her to write another book. Her columns lost their spark and their edge. She wanted to claim that she was fighting to get back to the top of her game, but she wasn’t. Her heart wasn’t in it. Who was she? If she didn’t have a battle to fight, what was left of her?
This echoes Talan's thoughts after she had captured Nor.

Ultimately, Lois has to find her own purpose in life. She has one purpose that she never doubts, of course, and that is Jon, but she needs more. And even though she has to find the purpose of her life on her own, I so want Clark to come back to her and help her. (Of course... he is going to need every bit as much help from her as she is going to need help from him.)

I loved the fact that Clark asked for a divorce from Zara, and that he asked Council to accept Ching as the person who would serve at Zara's side. Please make it possible for Zara and Ching to get married, Rac!

Ann

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

Maria, I'm glad you liked this section, especially the speech. As for why Rae Et's still alive, I go by Terry's suggested rule of thumb - never believe a fictional character is dead until they've been autopsied and embalmed. In the case of vampires, even this isn't enough. wink (Disclaimer: I promise there are no vampires on New Krypton or anywhere else in this story. Seriously.)

Hi Terry! We're definitely not done yet, even though we're making steady progress toward the finish line (I think). I'm not sure I agree about Zara telling Clark. For one thing, Zara's pretty much decided she doesn't know the nature of Clark's relationship with Talan and doesn't consider it any of her business. So even if it would be a good idea for her to talk to Clark, I think she'd be quite reluctant to do so. Secondly, I'm not sure it would be a good idea; I don't see how it benefits Clark to know that Talan's in love with him. If anything, I think it'll throw him off-balance. He won't feel as comfortable around her as he does now. As much grief as it's causing Talan to be in love with someone who can't love her back, Zara's principal concern in the matter has to be Clark's wellbeing, not Talan's. Clark is the one who has to keep it together to get through the trial and to convince the Council to let Ching replace him.

As for Lois, she's definitely approaching the limits of superhuman endurance. I think it'll be interesting to see how she handles the situation.

Liz, thanks for commenting. I'm glad that you're reading and enjoying the story. And I've been trying to write Rae Et as the female version of Luthor, so I'm glad everyone agrees that she's completely and irredeemably wicked. wink

Thanks for your very kind comments, Ann. I'm glad you liked Clark's speech. I find writing good speeches difficult because, well, you have to be good at writing good speeches. With dialogue, you can get pretty far by just thinking, 'well, what would I say in response to that if I were so-and-so?' Most of us don't give speeches regularly, nor are we expected to give great, stirring speeches that inspire people. Not that I'm claiming I've written such a thing, but that would be the goal in this section, if it were feasible. A pretty good speech is victory enough.

As I've said before, I also think that true strength lies in accepting and facing your vulnerabilities, not in pretending they don't exist. It's taking Clark a lot more courage to ask for help than it ever took for him to pretend he didn't need help.

Enza has some definite abandonment issues, which I think are pretty well founded given she lost her entire family. I think it takes a lot of guts on her part to try and make a relationship work. But yeah, this story was getting so dark even I couldn't stand everyone being miserable all the time, so right now, at least these two are pretty happy.

I'm also glad to see that you're cheering for Zara and Ching. Ching came across as such a jerk on the show that I was afraid it would be really difficult to turn him into a sympathetic character. I took some liberties with him, but I wanted to stay true to many of the essential characteristics of who he is without rendering him a third rate jerk.

Thanks again for reading and taking the time to comment, everyone. I really appreciate it. Happy New Year and more is coming up!

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard