Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I loved it.

Truly descriptive of the emotional pain that follows physical trauma.

So she just rocked him and let Superman—the greatest American hero and the strongest known man on Earth—cry in the arms of his mother.
So poignant. It wonderfully depicts the innate vulnerability that is possessed by anyone with emotions.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
Hi! I've been reading "Darkest Dreams" and it's awesome. I keep checking during the day so I can read it as soon as its posted. Excellent story! Thank you for this wonderful story!

I have been reading stories at this site for several years now but, this is the first time I have posted a review for a story. I hope I post it properly. The caliber of writers at this site is unbelievable! I think 99% of you must be professional writers!

smile

G. Kuhn
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
WOW. (Wa wa wee wow.)

I think this is the best part of the story you've posted so far Smirky! Bravo! This section is sooooo well-written. This part really made me wanna cry.

Looking on the bright side though, Martha is there for Poor Clark (I've decided that that's going to be his full name in all my reviews now--Poor Clark). I was worried you'd have Martha already kidnapped or something terrible! Thank god that's not the case.

Again, I think this is your best part. Keep 'em coming! notworthy

"Oh--as usual--dear." -Giles
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
mecry That was soooo beautiful mecry

doublel

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another brilliant chapter, Smirky Raven. Well, I don't know what to call you this time. I'd appreciate a name!

I'm sorry I'm just going to quote one passage here, but I find it extremely beautiful:

“I’m s-scared, Mom.” He was crying in earnest now, shaking as the world seemed to tumble off his shoulders. He was safe, here. Safe with the only woman he had known as a mother. The woman who had created him—had made him, in every way that mattered…a human.
This is simply perfect. So absolutely beautiful.

Okay, I've changed my mind. There will be two more quotes.

They had phoned the Kents, who had been at Clark’s apartment catching a few hours of sleep. Jonathan’s expression had gone pasty. He had finished up the call and hung the phone up carefully. Then, he’d just said one thing:

“They’re going to dissect my boy like a frog.”

And then, he’d collapsed.
This, too, is perfect. Yes, that is what your story has been about so far, isn't it? They did dissect Clark like a frog, because he was an alien.

But to Martha, Clark is not an alien:

Martha had tried to keep up her flagging spirits, to keep on hoping that her little, perfect star from the heavens would be all right… but no. Jonathan had been right all along.
To Martha, Clark is her little, perfect star from the heavens. Wow. So lovely.

Okay, come back with more soon, Smirky Raven!

Ann

Blogger
Blogger
Congratulations! Your story is wonderful, and you have somehow encouraged me to post on the BBs. I have read L&C for many years here but have rarely posted.

You mentioned that it was the replys to your story that kept you going through your finals and thanked everyone, so I felt that I should thank you for your story and hard work and how it has helped me and stay sane through the last couple of weeks.

I am the graphic designer/layout editor for five weekly, local newspapers as well as running my own disc jockey businsness on the side and raising 3 children. The Christmas season has been more than a little bit hectic. I have enjoyed NOTHING MORE than sitting down at the end of the day and reading your posts. I look forward to it more than anything during my day.

Thank you again for your excellent story and all of the others out there that I read on almost a daily basis.

Thanks Again
Borgship

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the reviews everyone!

Special thanks to our new reviewers here. Honestly, it is absolutely marvelous to get reviews no matter where they come from, but when they come from people who haven't reviewed yet...

Well, it's hard to tell how many people are following or even care about your story unless they review. So thank you very much.

I think 99% of you must be professional writers!
blush Thanks, G. Kuhn! It is my dream to be a real writer, and I can't think of a better compliment than that.

Ultragirl--thanks so much! I'm glad you liked this chapter so much. It was one of those that just wrote themselves, and I actually wrote it...well, I think when I was working on chapter 12 at the same time. It just demanded to be written. I'm glad it turned out to your liking.

Another brilliant chapter, Smirky Raven. Well, I don't know what to call you this time. I'd appreciate a name!
You want my *real* name? lol. Very well. It's Rachel--mild-mannered Rachel, hidden in sheep's clothing. You can call me that, if you get too confused between my many identities. wink

Congratulations! Your story is wonderful, and you have somehow encouraged me to post on the BBs.
Thanks, Borgship! Again, it completely makes my day to bring a lurker out of the woodwork. <bows> I am very honored. I'd love to hear more from you, so keep reviewing <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>

WHOA! You're from UTAH, Borgship!?

Check out where I've said I'm from and see if you can figure out where that is. laugh You've heard of it, right? wink

Small world, eh?

I know exactly what you mean, trying to get ready for Christmas and all. I'm still living at home, but I have 5 siblings, 4 of which still live at home with myself and my parents (if you haven't heard yet, I'm only 19). Well, maybe I don't know exactly what you mean, seeing as I don't have 3 kids, but I think I get the picture. I'm glad my story is acting as a good outlet for you--that's what it is for me! Good luck with everything!

Again, it was great to hear from all of you. I hope you are all having a great Christmas time.

Oh, and if everything goes according to plan, I may not be posting tomorrow until quite late, if at all, because I have all intentions of going skiing. So take a day off, relax, dream of happy stories with lots of merry laughter and hilarity.

Thanks agan,

SmirkyRaven

Merriwether
Merriwether
Woweee!

That was beautiful. I needed that. I needed him to let it out. I know there is more to come, but that emotional burst (I can't think of the word I want to use) was needed and excellent. Perfect!

I can't pick what part to quote, but...
“I-I’m an a-alien, Mom. A…an alien.” Clark cried through his staggered breath. “Th-they d-dissected m-me like a f-frog. Th-they said I wasn’t human. Mom….” He shivered, holding her tight so that even had he even only had normal strength he would have hurt her…but he was weakened. And weakened even further by the sudden onslaught of memories.
thumbsup

That made my eyes tear.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This wasn’t Lois. He needed Lois.
So painful for Martha, but I really do like this.

“I-I’m an a-alien, Mom. A…an alien.” Clark cried through his staggered breath. “Th-they d-dissected m-me like a f-frog. Th-they said I wasn’t human. Mom….”
pain, pain, pain... my heart hurts.

Martha’s heart felt as if it might crack in two.
yes, exactly.

So she just rocked him and let Superman—the greatest American hero and the strongest known man on Earth—cry in the arms of his mother.
/me whimpers.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, Smirky, I've learned that your name is Rachel (at least in this MBS), you're a brilliant writer, and YOU'RE ONLY NINTEEN?

Gah! I might as well just give up. If you're this good at your age, by the time you're my age you'll be rich and famous and I'll be in the nursing home trying to convince my fellow inmates - er, patients - that "Yeah, I knew about Smirky Rachel when she was just nineteen! Shw wrote this terrific fan fiction that just clobbered my heart!" They'll laugh and tell me not to skip my meds any more.

Seriously, this is a wonderful story. You've captured Kal-El's broken mental state as well as (if not better than) any other author on this site has. The scene where Martha held her son and comforted him as he wept in her arms was so touching that I wanted to put a blanket over him and have someone bring in some chicken soup. And I'm still waiting for Lois to put the pieces together and see that the jigsaw puzzle which looked like it held two faces actually only shows one man's face. And then I want you to show me how she plans to take out her frustration without destroying the extremely fragile man she hustled out of the bad guys' clutches.

Next chapter, please. Not only do I want to know how Clark and Lois resolve this whole mess, I need to torture myself with your skill and level of achievement.

Maybe I'll just shoot my eye out with my Christmas present.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard