Description: Lois, Clark, and Superman makes for an interesting love triangle. But what if there was another Superman and Lois can’t get it all straight? Could she be in love with one of them? Two of them? Or maybe when the dust settles she finds her heart going out to her mild mannered partner who just might be delusional? (Not an else-world story)

Story: Clark Kent vs. Superman
Author: Rhea
Email: rheajediknight@yahoo.com
Rating: PG

Thanks again goes to Mrs. Mosley!

Part One

<><><>

"Just who the hell do you think you are, buster?" Lois' words were quick and clipped.

The man smiled appealingly. He was handsome with broad shoulders, dark hair, and strong jaw. His brown eyes twinkled at her and repeated, this time with a note of pleading in his voice, "Dance with me."

"And who are you?" She insisted refusing to go anywhere closer to the dance floor.

The handsome man leaned in close and said to Lois as if imparting a great secret, "I'm Superman."

She gasped and her eyes flew to Clark's. He was a couple feet away and way too far for any one to have heard this man's declaration. He looked surprised anyway. Clark's mouth hung open. Did he suspect? Had he heard somehow? No, it must be because she was standing him up for their dance. Well, he would just have to get over it, because she was going to dance with Superman!

Clark watched in stunned silence as the man pulled an unresisting Lois the rest of the way on to the dance floor. He had heard the man's words and wondered what exactly he was trying to do. This was bad in so many ways. He couldn't very well tell Lois that he knew that this man wasn't really Superman without revealing his secret. Even if she did learn that this wasn't really Superman, it might get her thinking in terms about the superhero that made Clark uncomfortable. He really didn't need her trying to picture Superman going about the city as a regular man.

Clark also couldn't think of any good reason for this man to lie about his identity. Did he hope to seduce Lois because he knew of her infatuation with Superman? Couldn't she tell that it wasn't really Superman? He sighed. If she couldn't tell that her own partner, the person she spent hours every day was Superman, how could he expect that she would know that this person wasn't Superman? He had to think of something fast.

Lois pulled back to look into this man's, no Superman's eyes. He smiled at her . . . and she felt a flutter of nerves. He didn't look that much like Superman dressed in a tux. His hair was slicked back in his usual hairstyle, but his face looked different somehow. She couldn't quite place it.

"This is kind of unexpected. Do you do this often?" She tried to keep her voice casual, but she wondered if he could hear the racing of her heart.

"Walk among my people? It sometimes amuses me. How else do you think I can go on dates?"

Was he teasing her? Or did he do this regularly? And just how many women did he date? Lois felt anger growing within her. Did he think that she would just fall into his bed if he showed up like this? Did he even have a bed?

The man leaned down and claimed her mouth in a kiss. Her anger disappeared only to be replaced by confusion. This didn't feel like Superman, it didn't even smell like him. She tried to return the kiss just to be certain. She heard him moan and her ego rejoiced, but Lois was filled with disappointment. The spark was gone. She felt nothing. In fact, as his mouth moved over hers, all she could think of was how she hated the feel of his scratchy jacket on her skin. Her mind told her that she should be enjoying this but all she wanted was to go home and watch some TV or reading a good book.

Was she that shallow? Take the cape away from Superman and she wasn't interested anymore? She pulled back to look into Superman's face.

He smiled at her. She tried to return the smile. It was odd. She didn't feel comfortable in this man's arms like this. She was use to the suit giving them an emotional distance, and she certainly never thought that she would meet up with Superman dressed as a normal man. She tried to find Clark and when she did she felt as if everything froze around her. Something was terribly wrong with him.

Clark kept his hearing trained on them and cringed with every word that they exchanged. He strode toward them when they had begun to kiss, intent on separating them when he felt pain lance through every cell of his body. It took an enormous amount of control to remain upright and he stumbled back. With each retreating step, the pain lessened.

What was happening to him? The only time he had ever felt such agony was when he had been exposed to Kryptonite. Kryptonite! Where was it? Did that man claiming to be Superman have it on him? Perhaps he wanted to prevent the real Superman from showing up as proof of his lie. Why hadn't he thought of that right away? He could still do it, return as Superman and Lois would have to question the validity of this man's claims.

If only he could remain conscious.

This was getting worse by the second. He could see Lois looking at him with concern. He must really look awful for her to even notice. After all, she was with Superman wasn't she? He was always faintly jealous of the attention she paid his alter-ego, but he couldn't help his feelings. Now she was in public, kissing a person she had just met all on the basis that he had claimed to be Superman. He felt guilty and envious at the same time: guilty that she didn't know the truth and envious that she was kissing someone else. A small part of him wondered if he should have told her the truth weeks ago.

"Clark?" He could hear her whisper and the sound of her concern soothed something deep with in his soul.

Clark was sweating. Lois noticed because Clark never sweats. His face was getting flushed, turning redder by the second, and he tugged uncomfortably on his tie as if it had suddenly grown too tight. She pulled away from Superman, having to almost shake off his hands from her arms.

Lois strode away leaving him alone on the dance floor. Superman crossed his arms and his features tightened in anger. The other dancers gave him a wide berth.

Lois never noticed, she didn't glance back even once. "Clark! Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He swayed on his feet and stumbled back. "It must have been something I ate." He was starting to look almost green. Her eyes darkened in concern. She put her hand on his forehead and said, "Clark, you're burning up. We've got to get you to a doctor."

Clark grabbed her hand, starting to feel a bit better. "No doctor. I think I'll just go home. Would you mind if we left now?" He hated to sound so pathetic, but he needed to get Lois away from the man claiming to be Superman. Clark looked over her shoulder and saw that the man was starting to walk toward them. With each step he took in their direction, Clark felt the pain grow stronger.

Lois grew alarmed, "Yes, yes of course" She dashed toward the man stopping his progress and Clark could hear her say to him, "Clark's sick. He needs help. Do you think you could" she made a swooping motion with her hand, "get him some help or fly him to the hospital?" Clark watched with narrowed eyes as the man lost his confidence.
"Lois. I can't use my powers in front of all of these people."

Lois's eyebrows drew together and she said, "Are you going to help him or not, Superman?" The way she said the last word, Clark almost felt pity for the man. Maybe this would mark the end of his charade. "I'll get some help." He jogged out of there with a speed borne of adrenaline. Clark almost chuckled and he realized that at some point he had slumped to the floor. How had that happened?

Lois helped him to his feet. "I'm sorry Lois. I was really looking forward to that dance."

"Let's just get you out of here."
<><><>

to be continued . . . .