Hi,

As I said in my comments folder, I did make a mistake with the number of chapters. There are only 22.

Now as promised on with the story....

Chapter Twenty-One

Home

One more time, Lois found herself rushing through the front doors of Metro General. Did fate always conspire to keep her from her husband's side? As usual, work had been the villain of the piece, this time in the form of the Stern brothers. After the Lesley Luckaby fiasco, Perry had persuaded Franklin Stern to take the Planet back into the fold; in fact, since Luckaby's and his goblin-like master's actions had been both fraudulent and criminal, the government had frozen the company's assets, so technically there had been no sale. Perry had had a long 'cards on the table' chat with the media mogul, resulting in an assurance from Franklin that he would never again seek to be rid of his flagship newspaper. Of course, in turn for his commitment, the Planet was expected to move forward into the digital era of reporting, which had never proved to be a problem, until the old man had died and his twin sons had assumed the reins of his empire. Neither brother shared their father's love of the publishing business, being more interested in the billions of dollars which it generated. However, they had honoured their father's promise to Perry, though demanding more revenue from the newspaper and forcing it ever more into the high-tech age. They'd convened a meeting with the Planet's board members to raise the ongoing question of discontinuing the printed newspaper in favour of the online version -- a suggestion which Perry and the older generation of Metropoleans opposed strongly, and Lois found herself in agreement.

She knew the younger members of society preferred to read off their PCs and laptops, or mobile phones, or any of the other current devices which carried the news in this day and age. Yet, in her opinion, there was something to be said for the old fashioned way of sitting with a proper newspaper in your hand at the breakfast table, or as you commuted into the city by bus or bullet-train for your daily grind at the office or factory. Who ever heard of the comfortable refuge of hiding behind a Palm computer or a tiny mobile phone? One day actual newspapers would disappear, but Lois hoped not in the foreseeable future, and so, under protest, she had decided to accompany the Chief to this important meeting. After all, Perry had covered for her this morning when she'd wanted to be at the hospital with Clark for the arrival of Adrienne and Stephan.

The foreign doctors had duly examined Clark and declared he was in good enough physical condition to undergo the difficult surgery, while Bernard had spent the ensuing afternoon questioning the doctors and studying their proposed procedure. If, for any reason, Bernard felt uneasy with either the doctors' credentials or their suggested course of action then the surgery would not go ahead. Lois was well aware that such a desicion would devastate Clark. He was willing to take any chance to restore his memory; however, his wife and loved ones were not prepared to risk his health and perhaps his life, and Clark had reluctantly agreed to abide by their decision.

Lois was hoping to be with Clark when Bernie delivered his opinion, so she quickly headed for Clark's room. Yet, she found Dr Klein the moment she stepped off the elevator. He was behind the nurses' station in serious discussion with Stephan Janik and another man whom Lois recognised as the department's senior consultant surgeon. Adrienne was nowhere to be seen, and Lois assumed she would be with Clark. As soon as Bernie heard the ping of the elevator he made a bee-line for Lois' side, causing Lois to believe he'd been lying in wait for her. Oh, she so hoped that the news wasn't bad.

"Good evening, Lois. I was hoping you'd arrive soon." Bernie was tapping rhythmically on a clipboard which he clasped tightly to his chest like a shield, and Lois couldn't tell whether his action was due to worry or excitement. "Clark's been waiting for you too."

"Oh, Bernie, I'm so sorry. I was held up at work," Lois explained, not stopping on her journey to Clark's room. "There was an unexpected board meeting to which Perry was summoned and I couldn't let him go alone, but I tell you, I could cheerfully have strangled Joseph Stern. He just doesn't know when to give up! The other brother is ready to compromise, but Joseph is far too stubborn for the Daily Planet's good. I'm afraid I left Perry holding the fort, but at least most of the board members are on his side...." Lois' tendency to babble was in full flight. "I came as soon as I could."

Secretly, Bernard thought that Lois was also someone who never knew when to give up. It was one of the things he admired about her, though it scared him silly too, at times. Thankfully, Lois would most likely welcome the news he had to impart and he wouldn't have to experience her wrath this evening. With that thought giving him courage, he stretched out a hand and stopped her progress.

"Lois, I've reached the conclusion that Clark's surgery should go ahead... and as soon as possible. Most likely tomorrow, if I can book an operating room and get all the equipment that Stephan needs set up, which shouldn't be too difficult...."

"You've decided, already? And so soon?" Lois asked, stopping dead in her tracks, the faint furrows between her eyebrows deepening in a mixture of shock and apprehension. "I was sure it would take you a couple of days to investigate the doctors and the surgery."

"I guess I thought that too, but, Lois, there's no denying that Dr Janik is a genius. I have no reason to doubt his skills as a surgeon, even though he's been quite honest in revealing the difficulties he's had in his past. I can't say I approve of that episode in his life, but there's no doubt he regrets his mistakes...."

"Do you trust him to operate on Clark?" Lois demanded, staring up into Bernie's face, searching for the slightest glimmer of doubt. There was none.

"I'm not always the best judge of people, but I do understand science, and Stephan knows his trade." Bernard returned Lois' gaze stalwartly. "You know I would never entrust Clark's life to a hack. Besides, even you admitted that these doctors risked everything to free Clark."

An abashed flush spread over Lois' pale skin. "Oh, I do agree, Bernie... and they didn't have to show up here. If they were the guilty party in Clark's abduction, then they would have run for the hills, not spent the last few years searching for him. That's what my head tells me, but my heart is afraid." Uncharacteristically, she took hold of Bernard's free hand. "He's just come back to me, and I'm so terrified of losing him again. We're talking brain surgery here. He could die!"

Beads of sweat broke out on Bernie's forehead. He'd been worrying over this question since early afternoon and he had to admit there were no certainties, yet somehow his instincts refused to believe the worst. "I won't lie to you. With every surgery there is a risk, and, you're right, even more so with neurological surgery. This is a delicate procedure, and one with which I have no experience. Yet, I don't intend to let Clark die. I'll be there through the whole operation, and I've asked the consultant surgeon who's been treating Clark to be in attendance. He's a good man, Lois, and an old friend. Stephan's agreed to his assistance and has spent the last few hours bringing Marvin up to speed. If it helps any, Marvin also believes we can succeed in removing the chips."

"You told Dr Temple about Superman?" she asked, aghast.

Bernard squeezed Lois' hand and turned it in his own, shaking it slightly. "Of course not. Marvin only knows that Clark was experimented on by placing chips in his brain... and he's sworn to secrecy because of the doctor patient confidentiality... not to mention he's a highly ethical man." Bernard's voice was reassuring and not reproachful. Lois had been through so much and Bernard understood her anxiety. "Even if he did spot that the chips are tinged with green, I doubt he'll associate them with kryptonite. And even if he does, Stephan will explain that all the chips were coated in the stuff and that the General decided to use Clark as a trial run before inserting the chips in Superman. But I doubt it will come to that. Marvin is just interested in giving Clark back as much memory as possible."

"You and Stephan seem to have talked the whole thing through."

"I thought that's what you wanted me to do, Lois," Bernie said in his defense.

"Of course I did, Bernie." She still clung to her old friend, but both continued walking towards Clark's room. "And it does make sense. Kryptonite wouldn't be lethal to Clark, but it would to Superman. I'm just so frightened of how Clark will react when he recovers and realizes how much he has lost." Lois halted, and looked up at Bernard, her eyes huge, yet infinitely sad. "Superman was a part of him... and he's lost that forever."

"Lois, I don't think that will be a huge problem. If I've learned anything about Clark over the years, it's that he sees the good in life... and he has you and the children. I think that will be enough for him... and, speaking of Clark, he's been expecting you to show up. If you don't get in there...." Bernie nodded his head at the door a little way in front of them. "I'm sure he'll come looking for you. Your in-laws and the kids are there too."

"And Adrienne?" Lois asked, her curiosity about the female doctor's presence finally getting the best of her.

"Actually, no. She went back to the hotel at around five. Seemingly longhaul flights don't agree with her and she wanted to be fresh for tomorrow's surgery."

"Jetlag? I'm not surprised. She did look a little peaky when they arrived this morning. But is Adrienne taking part in the operation? I thought she'd just be observing."

"Adrienne is going to be the anaesthesiologist. She understands the effects of drugs on Clark's physiology... and seemingly it was she who administered the anesthesia before. So it just seemed natural for her to assume the role... that's if you don't object, Lois?"

"No, I guess not. To tell the truth, I still don't know what to feel about Adrienne and Stephan, but I expect it's best not to introduce too many outside medical personnel into the procedure." Lois offered the elderly scientist a rueful smile. "You must rue the day you agreed to become Superman's physician. We've put you through so much trauma...."

"Lois, never think that. I've been honored to be Clark's doctor, and yours and the kids. It means a lot to me to be considered your friends."

Bernard's skin was turning red as a lobster, but Lois, even knowing how uncomfortably her old friend dealt with emotions, wasn't about to let him off the hook. "Friend! Bernard, we don't consider you a friend...." She couldn't repress a happy giggle at the startled look on the doctor's face. "You're part of the family, Bernie." Lois leaned up and planted a firm kiss on his pink cheek, then turned to proceed him into the room, but Bernie pulled her back, looking, if possible, more embarrassed.

"B... ernie?" Lois questioned, faltering a little over his name; was there something he wasn't telling her? "Is something wrong?"

"Wrong? No!" Yet he did look shifty. "I just thought that... well, I don't think you'll think it wrong...."

"Bernie, get to the point!"

He gulped. "I asked the staff to put an extra bed in Clark's room, and I spoke to Martha and she and Jonathan are going to look after the kids tonight. I think she brought you an overnight bag too." Bernie fished a handkerchief from his pocket and finally managed to mop his brow. "I... we... Martha and I, thought it would be good for you and Clark to spend tonight together...."

His words were cut off by Lois throwing her arms around his neck and she sniffled into his collar. "Oh, Bernie, that's so sweet. See, I told you, you're family." And this time she was off, pushing her way through the door, her lips smiling and her eyes gleaming, determined that nothing else would distract her from reaching Clark's side.

Dawn crept over the skyline of Metropolis and as the city stirred into life, Lois' eyelids fluttered open and she stretched slowly in the bed, feeling pleasantly languid. As her eyes grew accustomed to the dim light of the small room, she realized this was not her bedroom and she grinned smugly, spotting the empty cot, which Bernard had so thoughtfully provided, but which she and Clark had decided was unnecessary. She was with Clark. His arm lay heavily, yet familiarly around her waist and his body was curled close to her back on the narrow bed, while she could feel his breath gently stirring her hair. The sound of his steady breathing told her that he slept on, and for the moment she was content to let him sleep. Today was his 'big' day.

For some minutes, she stayed cocooned within his embrace, while she contemplated the previous evening spent with the kids and her in-laws. Mostly, it had been a happy occasion, the adults in the family putting aside their concerns about the coming surgery to reassure the younger Kents that their dad, who had so lately returned to them, would not be snatched away again. Clark had put on a brave front for the sake of his kids, but when they'd eventually left, the crinkled laughter lines around his eyes had deepened into shadowed trenches, showing Lois the exhaustion and stress which he'd kept valiantly hidden. She was glad he was comfortable enough to reveal his true self to her, but her heart ached for him. He was counting so much on the success of this surgery... but how would he react if there was no improvement? Strangely, it registered that the recovery of his memory meant less to her than it did to him, yet she found herself praying that he wouldn't have to experience more disappointment. But if the worst did happen, then Lois vowed she would spend the rest of her life creating new, wonderful memories for Clark. As long as they were together, they could face any problem.

She lifted Clark's hand from her waist and pressed a soft kiss into his palm, part of her mind hoping that he would wake, but he continued to sleep. A wave of desire swept through her, yet she pushed it away. Although, their relationship had grown deeper each day since his return, it appeared Clark wasn't ready for intimacy. He had some strange notion that he wanted to come to her as a whole person and, in an odd way, that suited Lois because she had been wrestling with her own lack of confidence. With the 'death' of Clark, her sexual life had drifted into limbo, haunting her only in dreams. She was definitely out of practice and wasn't at all sure if 'siren' Lois could ever return. But, now, lying tucked within the cradle of his body, she felt her passions stir, which was probably totally inappropriate on this particular day... in this particular place. They would have all the time in the world to explore later.

Lois decided to ease herself from the bed and go in search of coffee when the sound of the door opening distracted her. Had the medical team come to prepare Clark for surgery already? Sitting up, she was surprised to see Adrienne standing in the doorway.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude," Adrienne stuttered, beginning to back out of the room. "I can come back later."

Momentarily, Lois was tempted to let Adrienne leave. She wasn't sure she wanted to chat with this woman whose presence was a reminder of the worst four years of her life. Yet, Adrienne and Stephan had traveled a long way to help Clark, and he would want her to be polite, at least.

"No, wait!" Lois called in hushed tones. "Let me get my robe. I was just going to look for a cup of coffee. Clark is still dead to the world and I think that's a good thing. He'll need all his strength to face the rest of the day." She pushed her arms into the sleeves of her terry robe and tiptoed to the door, where Adrienne was waiting. "There's still time for him to sleep," she said, checking her watch in the light shed from the corridor. "But perhaps it was Clark you wanted to talk to?"

"Not really," Adrienne admitted sheepishly. "I have arrived too early, but I couldn't sleep... and I just wanted to check in on Clark. I'm sorry. I didn't know you'd be here."

"Neither did I. Bernie... Doctor Klein thought it would be good for both of us to be together. Keep each other's spirits up and all that." Lois ducked her head, pushing her mussed hair behind her ears, disarmingly. "Though I'm sure if Clark saw me now he'd run straight back to China," she added, muttering to herself.

Yet Adrienne caught the uncertain words. She was shocked. How could this lovely, self-assured woman doubt herself? "No, Lois! He never would. Through it all, he never really forgot you." The French woman frowned, trying to verbalize her thoughts. "You know, that always puzzled me; how Clark could withstand the brainwashing... everything we did to him, but now I've seen the two of you together, I think I understand. You lend each other strength. Even when you're apart."

"Love gives us strength. Clark once told me that love was the strongest life force there is, and it took me a long time to understand that, but it's true." Lois began walking again, continuing her search for that much needed shot of caffeine, yet she gave Adrienne a searching sideways glance. "You and Stephan are a couple?"

A blush coloured Adrienne's face, but a guileless smile lit up her serious face. "We are. I've never really had a boyfriend before, and I think Stephan had given up on finding someone. But we promised ourselves we wouldn't take time to become a real couple until we'd found Letour and restored his memory to him."

Lois wasn't exactly pleased to make small talk about Adrienne's blossoming love life, but there was something she was eager to discover. "Well, you've found him and after today you'll have fulfilled your promise.... So, what are you two going to do afterwards?" Lois' pregnant question hung heavily in the air.

"We're going to Africa," Adrienne replied with a hint of excitement, unaware of an ulterior motive behind Lois' interest. "I met up with an old friend of my father's when we were helping out with the mudslide in China. He's still a member of Doctors Without Borders and they're always looking for personnel to work in the worst trouble spots. So we decided it would be a good thing for us to take him up on his offer. Do some good for a change."

Lois' sigh of relief was almost audible. Somehow, she felt she was more likely to feel charitable towards the couple from the distance of a few thousand miles. "Good. That's good. They're a very worthwhile organization."

"I wish I'd taken my father's advice a long time ago...."

"Well, it's never too late, I suppose." Lois said without much conviction. She sidestepped a nurse who was manipulating a drugs trolley from an office. The medical staff were apparently beginning their morning routine, and Lois jumped at the opportunity to change the subject. "Excuse me, Sandi," she said, recognising the pretty nurse, "but could you tell me where I can find myself a cup of coffee."

"Good morning, Mrs Kent and Doctor Ducos?" the nurse returned with a bright smile and a question directed towards the younger woman. She hadn't been on duty when Doctor Klein's foreign colleagues had arrived, though she'd heard the gossip.

"Nurse Sandi, Dr Ducos... Dr Ducos, meet Nurse Sandi." Lois made the introductions. "Dr Ducos, the nurses have been looking after Clark so well I think I'm jealous."

"No need for that, Mrs Kent. Your husband is a very sweet man, but I'm sure you know that already," Sandi admitted laughingly. "If you're looking for coffee, there's a drinks dispenser in the family room, but that stuff is dire. You'd prefer the coffee at the nurses' station and we'd be happy to share with you. It was nice to meet you, Dr Ducos, and if you need anything, just ask. Now, if you'll both excuse me, I gotta get to work. My patients need their medication."

Lois and Adrienne stood aside to let Sandi go on her way, then they headed to the reception area where the duty nurse poured them both large mugs of coffee, offering them a dough-nut, which they declined, and the use of the office behind the desk, should they need to chat privately.

"I do have something to discuss with you, Lois, if you could spare me a few moments," Adrienne said haltingly. It was clear she was still a little unsure of Lois' opinion of her, and with good reason.

"Will it take long?" Lois asked, still feeling ambivalent about spending more private time than necessary with this woman, besides she wanted to get back to the room before Clark awoke.

Adrienne seemed to shrink within herself, but she persisted, opening the door to the office. "Not long, but it is important.... Please, I have something to give you."

"Sure, I guess I can spare a few minutes." Lois' tone of voice was flat, yet she passed Adrienne and walked into the room, hearing the door close behind her.

"Thank you. The nursing staff are very nice... competent too," Adrienne muttered, shying away from the true subject of the conversation. "Metro General seems to have an excellent clinical reputation."

"Yes. I think we've already established that point." Lois' impatience was barely hidden. "Is that all you wanted to say?"

"No!" Adrienne protested. "Stay with me, please. I know I've given you no reason to like or trust me...."

"Adrienne, I don't have time to discuss whether I like you or not, but believe me, if I didn't trust either you or Stephan this surgery would not be going ahead."

One wall of the little office was glass and looked out onto the floor but slatted blinds marred the view; yet for some seconds, Adrienne's attention seemed riveted on what was happening outside. "I suppose I can live with that," she said softly. "We don't have to be friends for Stephan and I to do our best for Clark."

Lois sipped her coffee experimentally. "I believe you will... and I don't dislike you exactly," Lois admitted grudgingly. "Which is pretty strange, considering, because I've been known to hold a grudge against those who attack my family. Make Clark well and who knows, we might become better acquainted."

"Perhaps this might help." Adrienne turned and took a couple of steps towards Lois, holding out a small package.

"What's that?" Lois regarded the item with suspicion. "I don't want a gift!" she objected, dumping her coffee mug on the nearest flat surface and spattering brown splotches over the files lying on the cabinet top. Distractedly, she tried to blot them dry with her hands. "I don't know what sort of life you've led, Dr Ducos, but you can't buy my approval."

"But it's not a gift. At least, not from me...." The French doctor's voice became insistent. "Please, just look...."

Concluding that it wouldn't hurt to look, with a reluctant shrug, Lois took the parcel, unwrapped it and shook the contents into the palm of her hand. Suddenly, the air around her became charged with expectancy. Her eyes focused on the small gleaming band of metal, while her heart shifted into an erratic beat. Instinctively... protectively, her fingers closed around the object. "Oh my god!" she said, trying to keep the wobble from her voice and her gaze rose to lock with Adrienne's. "Clark's wedding ring." Even without reading the inscription engraved inside, she'd know his ring anywhere.

"Yes."

"You took it from him? Hell! Just how long have you had it?" The questions were fired at Adrienne like bullets from a gun. "And why didn't you give it back to us in China?"

"Please, Lois, I can explain. I didn't take it... not back then. Hyesan wanted Superman stripped of everything that would link him to his past, so he ordered the guards to destroy the suit. To tell the truth, there wasn't much left of it when he arrived at the bunker." Adrienne shuddered as she relived those terrible times, but her voice didn't falter. "It fell to Teo to do the job... and if it means anything, I think Teo would have saved the suit too, if it had been possible. Only Hyesan wanted to see it burn. He held a little ceremony, of sorts, as he wiped the vestiges of Superman from the face of the Earth. He didn't know that Teo had searched the suit and found the ring in a secret compartment in the belt buckle. No one knew. You can have no idea how dangerous that was for Teo. If Hyesan had discovered his subterfuge.... Well, lets just say that soldiers who disobeyed the General's orders didn't live long." Her tone dropped low, yet her expression was admiring at the thought of the Korean guard's bravery. "But Teo hid it and kept it safe, all that time. When Stephan and I left to look for Letour, Teo came to say goodbye, and he entrusted this to me. I would have mentioned it when we last met, but the ring was in our baggage, buried alongside all our possessions in the jeep and I didn't know then if we could retrieve anything... and we did have other things on our minds. After you left with Clark and things settled down at the disaster site, some Chinese rescue workers were kind enough to dig the jeep out of the sink hole. The ring was the first thing I looked for. Teo hoped that one day I could return it to its rightful owner, and I couldn't let him down, but I think that honour should be yours... and I know Teo would approve."

Fresh tears clung to the tips of Lois' lashes as she listened, without interruption, to Adrienne's narration, then she opened her hand once more. The precious ring, which seemed to have suffered almost as much trauma as its owner, sparkled in the over-head lighting. "Thank you, Adrienne... and I wish I could tell Teo how much this means to me... to Clark. Perhaps one day we can...." Yet she fell silent at Adrienne's brief shake of the head. Lois realized, sadly, that her wish might not be possible, but she refused to think gloomy thoughts.... This particular homecoming was a good omen. "But I thank Teo from the bottom of my heart. Now I know everything will work out well... and I do trust you... and maybe some day things might be better between us," she finished on a hiccuping laugh. "Right now, I have to see Clark. I have something to do. But we'll talk later.... Sit down with a proper cup of coffee...."

"I think I'd like that...." However, Adrienne was talking to an empty room, but she felt a lightness in her soul as she widened the slats of the blinds to watch Lois hurrying down the corridor. Today promised to be a momentous one and she had work to do. If only Clark's surgery was successful, then she, Stephan and Teo could perhaps be forgiven for the wrongs they had committed.

Lois pushed open the door of Clark's room gently, careful not to disturb him if he should still be asleep. After all, they'd talked long into the night, about everything and nothing... both afraid that this could be their last real conversation, yet both afraid to voice that dreaded fear. Sleeping late was a good thing for Clark, as it gave him less time to fret before they took him off to the OR. She was probably doing enough worrying for both of them, anyway.

While she'd been gone, Clark had turned onto his back, and a thin beam of sunlight had crept across the floor to brighten the foot of his bed. Soon it would reach his face and he would awaken. Lois glided silently to the side of the bed. Sentimental tears blurred her eyesight and she tried to blink them away. She had always loved watching Clark... even before they were a couple, though she'd denied that vehemently for a very long time. Now, she allowed herself to glory in the sight of his beauty. She supposed most men would be uncomfortable with that description, but she couldn't help herself; he was her beautiful Clark. And now, she was about to reclaim him as her own.

Lifting his left hand, she returned his wedding band to its rightful place. "Sweetheart," she whispered, her voice as warming as a caress from the morning sun. "A wicked man made it impossible for you to keep your ring safe, but someone else fulfilled your vow. I might never get to meet this Teo, but to me he will always be a hero. Just as you are my Superman... with or without the powers." Lois bent her head and kissed the ring, her tears falling on Clark's skin. He stirred.

"Lois?" His head came up lazily. "Lois?" His second question was edged with worry. Why would she be crying. "What's wrong?"

Lois straightened up to face him and the look of tender joy writ so clearly on her face calmed his anxieties. "Wrong? Nothing is wrong. I was just replacing something that had been lost."

It was then Clark noticed that Lois was holding his left hand. "A ring, you bought me a new wedding ring? Oh, Lois...." Clark swallowed hard, a lump in his throat preventing him from saying more.

But Lois shook her head. "Not a new one. Your wedding ring. Teo found it four years ago and rescued it, then he gave it to Adrienne, who gave it back to me this morning. She thought I should be the one to place it back on your finger."

Clark opened his hand and held it out, staring at the golden band. It felt so right... so.... "Safe! As safe as my love for you," he whispered wondrously, not knowing where that thought had come from. He looked up to see Lois staring at him with her eyes wide.

"You remember that?"

"I've said that before, haven't I?" His brow creased, a sure sign he was trying to recall the circumstances. "Sorry. I don't know when, or why...."

"It doesn't matter." Lois smiled, masking a tiny frisson of disappointment. She stretched out her hand and placed it over his, letting her finger caress the ring. "It's in the past and we have the future...."

Clark nodded his head at their joined hands. "And that's part of the past too," He said uncertainly. "I suppose it doesn't look too bad...."

"Clark, stop! We can't change what happened to your hand... and you said you never thought about it now." She let her fingers stray from the ring to the stump of his middle finger. "Wearing your ring doesn't make a difference."

Whenever Clark faltered, Lois was there for him, holding him up, helping him to go on. "Yes. Yes, it does... but only for the better. You're right, sweetheart. What does the tip of a finger matter, when I have so much." Now it was Clark's turn to drop a kiss on their clasped hands. "I don't know what will happen today, Lois, but right now, I want you to know that I have everything I need."

Suddenly, Clark, realized that was true. He'd been concentrating so hard on what he'd lost, that he'd hadn't appreciated what he'd found... and strangely, as often happened between them, Lois tuned into his thoughts. "I understand, Clark, but don't feel bad. You have every right to remember your past, and according to the doctors, the surgery should work well. So I don't want to hear any negative thoughts...."

There was a soft swish of the door behind them and a younger voice interrupted Lois' stricture. "Hey, Dad, I'd listen to Mom, if I were you! When she gets that tone in her voice, you know she means business," Matt announced, walking into the room with his easy gait, so reminiscent of his father's. He regarded his parents with amusement, recognising that he'd butted in on an intimate moment. "If I'm in the way, you know I could always go and come back later."

"Matt, behave!" Lois ordered, side-swiping his arm as he came to stand next to her. "You know you're welcome, but I must admit I didn't expect you at this early hour." Like most other teenagers, Matt had difficulty getting out of bed in the mornings for school, though all the Kent kids had been excused from school today.

"Oh, orders from Uncle Bernie and the team. They want me to donate some blood, just in case Dad should need a transfusion," Matt confided, but rushed on as he saw the horrified look on his mother's face. "It's just a precaution, Mom. They cross-matched our blood yesterday and everything is set to go. I just thought I'd look in and say good morning before I go and let 'Uncle Dracula' do his thing."

Lois glance shifted from her son to her husband. "You knew about this?"

A guilty blush covered Clark's skin and his lips quirked apologetically. "We talked about it yesterday when you were at work. I'm sorry, Lois, I should have mentioned it last night, but I assumed Bernard would have told you...."

"And we spent most of last night pretending today wasn't happening. I know," Lois admitted, grudgingly, when another thought rose to trouble her. "Just how do they intend getting this blood from you, Matt. You're invulnerable."

At the thunderous look on his mother's face, Matt began to retreat towards the door. "Would you look at the time! Bernie's expecting me... I've got to fly... well, not literally."

"Matt!" Lois metaphorically stamped her foot.

"You know, Mom. The K thing. But don't worry, it'll only be a very short exposure. I'll be fine. It hardly hurt at all, yesterday, though that was just a green needle." In desperation, Matt, looked at his father. "Dad and I had this conversation with Uncle Bernie, so he can explain. See you both later." The door swung shut behind him, leaving his speechless mother with only one source of information... a source who was looking very uneasy. Lois turned, with that certain 'don't mess with me' look upon her face.

"Honey," Clark said, experimentally. "I really did think you knew about this, but you don't have to worry. Bernard explained it all to us. Matt is susceptible to Kryptonite, but it appears that your genes have given him some immunity."

"If he's immune, then that rock wouldn't make his skin pervious," Lois challenged. "And we know that's not true, because he's already been pierced by a kryptonite needle."

"Well, no, he's not exactly immune. But that puncture wound healed up immediately." Clark tried for a little optimism, but seeing his wife's expression, he decided to tread carefully instead. Clearly she was worried enough about his surgery without having the added concern of her son being exposed to kryptonite, which was completely understandable. "Bernie said some immunity. The two of them have been running tests, but I thought maybe you knew that." At Lois' deepening scowl, he tried again to placate her. "To tell the truth, I don't completely understand, but it seems Bernard's discovered that Matt doesn't suffer so badly, and recovers much quicker than I did from kryptonite radiation. Remember, this is all new to me. Until several days ago, I didn't know a thing about superheros or kryptonite."

Lois, grudgingly, saw the truth of Clark's statement, and realized he was hardly to blame for Bernie's or Matt's previous actions. In fact, she understood Matt's determination to help his father. He'd risk anything to make sure his Dad survived this surgery, and if Clark needed a transfusion then there was only one person who could donate that blood. She could hardly stay angry at her son for wanting to ensure that his father lived... nor could she really blame Bernard for doing his job... keeping alive any of the Kent family who needed his unique talents.

Very quickly, Lois let go of her annoyance, patting Clark's arm, which was stiff with tension. "OK, don't look so worried. I'm fine. I guess I was more upset about being kept in the dark than what I was being kept in the dark about... if you catch my drift. I'm sure Bernie knows what he's doing. He's never let us down before."

"That's not something I can remember, but I'll take your word for it, sweetheart," Clark replied with a relieved sigh, feeling that he'd just missed a bullet, and he was saved from any further confrontation by his door opening again, this time to allow Nurse Sandi into the room.

"Good morning, Mr Kent," Sandi said brightly as she brought a tray to the bed. The smells which wafted from under the covers enticed Clark's taste buds, and the nurse seeing his eyes light up, continued apologetically. "I'm sorry, this breakfast isn't for you, Mr Kent. You can't have anything to eat because you'll be going to the OR later this morning, but Dr Klein suggested that Mrs Kent should have breakfast, to keep her strength up. It could be a very long day."

Accepting the tray, Lois sat and, giving Clark a sheepish glance, she started to unenthusiastically dip into the full breakfast. She really didn't have an appetite for the food, but Sandi was watching closely, a fussy mothering look on her face. However, as soon as the nurse was satisfied that Dr Klein's orders were being obeyed, she left the couple together with the information that the doctor would be in shortly with Clark's pre-op medication.

"I'm sorry, Clark," Lois said. "I really don't want this food."

Clark shook his head. "Bernie's right. You should eat what you can. One of us being sick is enough. I just wish they'd get this show on the road. This waiting is getting on my nerves."

The tray with its forgotten food was dumped unceremoniously on a trolley and Lois came to sit on the side of Clark's bed, encircling him in her arms. "I feel exactly the same, honey. But it won't be long now, and maybe we could think up a nicer way to pass the time than me eating food I definitely don't want, and you feeling envious watching me."

That brought a smile to Clark's face and he cocked his head a little to look at her. "Oh, and what do you have in mind, Mrs Kent?"

Lois moved very close to Clark until she could feel his breath on her lips. "Perhaps it would be best if I showed you...."

The orderlies lifted Clark with ease from his bed to the gurney which would transport him to the OR. The fact that this phenomenon didn't strike him as strange was testament to his loss of memory. He had no inkling of his once dense molecular structure and Lois, Matt or Bernie hadn't given him much information on his past physiology. There would be time for that later -- post surgery.

Clark was already feeling a little woozy, thanks to the medication, yet he managed to dredge up a smile for his wife and son as he was made comfortable on the trolley. They were standing close together by his side, Lois' free hand firmly locked in Matt's, while the other cupped Clark's face, stroking his cheek. In the week since his return, the gesture had grown very familiar and safe... and for an infinitesimal moment, he suddenly dreaded that he would never experience Lois' touch again.

Terror slithered through him, tightening his throat. Perhaps he'd been wrong to insist on this surgery, or at least, immediately. How could he bear to lose them so soon, or inflict such a loss on his family again?

"Sweetheart, you'll be back with us in a few hours. You'll see! Bernie and the others will take good care of you."

Had Lois read his mind? He'd been surprised by how often they'd been able to sense each others' thoughts. Was that another of the powers he'd lost? Maybe that was something he could investigate when he recovered? A strange calm settled over Clark and he knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that he would survive. Lois had loaned him her strength once again and he wouldn't disappoint her.

"Of course I will, Lois. This is just the beginning...." he said, the medication slurring his words a little.

"Not the beginning, Clark. Our life together never ended. This is just the continuation of the...."

"Rest of our lives together." Clark finished her thought, and Lois bent over him and placed a lingering kiss on his lips.

He didn't need to die to go to heaven. Clark had heaven here on Earth.

"Lois, it's time."

Another male voice interrupted Clark's drifting reverie and opening his eyes once more he saw Bernard, hovering behind Lois' shoulder. He'd forgotten Bernie had come with the medical staff to accompany him to the OR. The old doctor seemed a bit of a worrywart, but even that thought made Clark feel secure. He was in good hands... but there was something else he had to say....

"Lois, I have loved you from the beginning." His voice seemed very far away, even to his own ears. "And I'll love you till the end."

"Dad, that beginning was only a few days ago, and don't go talking about 'ends', because that's not going to happen."

Matt's voice sounded chirpy, perhaps too much, and Clark roused himself to study his son. Behind the joviality, Clark could see the spectre of fear shadowing Matt's eyes. Clark couldn't bear his son's pain. He stretched out a hand to Matt and the boy caught it quickly.

"Don't worry, Matt. I don't plan on dying for many years to come. Just look after your mother for me till I come back. She has a tendency to get herself into some very tight spots."

The gurney was wheeled out the door and both Lois and Matt had to let go of Clark's hands to let the orderlies manipulate their patient into the corridor. Clark lost sight of his family for a moment as he was pushed down the corridor towards the elevator, so he didn't see them exchange a puzzled glance.

"Did you tell him that about me, Matt?" Lois hissed quietly.

"No! We decided we wouldn't discuss Superman much. Didn't we? And, Mom, I wouldn't dare tell him anything about you."

Bernie leaned closer to mother and son and whispered. "I'd say it was another of those little flash insights that Clark gets. There's nothing like facing a traumatic experience for concentrating the mind." The trio had fallen behind the gurney which had arrived with its entourage at the elevator. "Lois I really need to go. The team is waiting for Clark, and the sooner we get started, the sooner this will be over. But don't expect this to be a quick operation. It's very delicate surgery...."

"We know, Uncle Bernie. You've reminded us of that a few times since yesterday," Matt said, leading his mother quickly down the passageway.

"I'm fussing too much?" Bernard asked, hurrying anxiously along beside the two Kents.

"Maybe a little," Lois said gently. "But we love you for it. Just take care of Clark and we'll let you fuss as much as you like."

They reached the elevator as the doors opened and Lois barely had time to kiss Clark's cheek before he was taken inside.

"Bye, Lois," Clark whispered, already feeling very sleepy. "Bye Matt. Take care of your mother and sisters...."

With surprising sprightliness, Bernie squeezed himself into a corner of the car. He would be inside the OR in a supervisory position and he took his promise to watch over Clark very seriously.

"Sleep well, my love. I'll see you soon...." Lois called through the closing doors, then, losing the will to be resolute, she slumped sidewards against Matt, her head coming to rest on his shoulder.

"Mom!" Matt cried, holding her up. "Are you OK? Please, don't be scared. You heard Dad. He's coming back to us and he'll remember everything."

"I don't care if he remembers or not." Tears welled up in her woeful eyes. "I just want him back."

Matt felt his world shift beneath his feet. He hated to see his mother downcast and he sought for the words which would give her back her spirit. "Me too, Mom. But I really do think he'll be OK. He survived all those years with just the dream of you to keep him going. Now Dad has the real you, he's not about to give up," Matt said with a wisdom beyond his years, pressing a kiss on Lois' brow. "Come on, lets go get you some chocolate. You always feel better when you've had some chocolate."

"Thank you, Matt." Lois turned to hug her son, but now her grip was firm and her voice brighter. For a few seconds the two Kents clung to each other, then Lois pushed back, taking charge once more. "You know, we need to go phone Grandma Martha to tell her it's begun. Your grandparents are going to bring the girls over later, though I have a feeling Sara won't be able to stay away too long. She wanted to come over first thing this morning and I only convinced her to stay home to keep Vicky company. Come on. We can use the phone in your father's room.... You know, I have no idea why everyone still believes I eat chocolate as comfort food. Maybe years ago, but I'm a grown woman!"

"Mom! It's not just kids who like chocolate...."

tbc