Print Thread
#34553 11/24/06 10:10 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ah, angelic (Crystal?), I so, so love this!

She brushes an errant curl away from his forehead, watching him sleep soundly next to her.
If I was married to Clark, I'd have my hands in his hair all the time. Particularly when he was asleep.

And then she frowns, lost in thought.

She can’t remember the exact moment she fell in love with Clark Kent.
Funnily enough, neither can I. I mean, I can't remember when I fell in love with Clark Kent. But I can certainly remember when I fell in love with Superman. It was back in 1969, I was barely fourteen years old, and I was reading a comic where Lois Lane got superpowers. And when Superman found out about this, oh, wow... the happiness that the comic book artist managed to show us on Superman's comic book face when he looked at Lois...it blew me away, it hit me like a ton of bricks. He loves her. He loves her. Only her. He, Superman, Man of Steel and of miracles. The man who flies like an angel and bends steel with his bare hands. He loves her. Only her. And honestly, I have never been quite the same since I read that comic.

But Superman couldn't marry Lois. He could marry her only if she was his superpowered equal, but that would never truly happen, so their love was doomed. It was doomed until the people at DC Comics decided, in 1990, that they wanted to give Lois and Clark a chance. So Clark proposed to Lois in the comics, and she said yes. And a few years later, ABC gave us Lois And Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. And the show gave us this:

It was more like the culmination of a thousand moments — an encouraging smile six minutes before deadline, a gentle hand against the small of her back, a hot cup of coffee waiting on her desk.

It was all of these, and so much more.

Fierce battles of wit. A tongue-in-cheek grin, flashed while editing her copy. A stubborn streak that could span more than one galaxy.

And inherent goodness.

That fascinates her most. His unwavering optimism balances her own cynicism.

Clark is her constant, even when he speeds away in a red-blue blur with barely a second’s notice.
How beautifully, beautifully you put what was there for us to see in the ABC TV show.

She studies his features, smooth and peaceful in repose.
I love this sentence. I can see him. I can see them. I can see the way she looks at him. The image of them together like this should adorn the inside of churches.

No, Lois amends, she might not remember when she realized she loved her husband, but the exact moment doesn’t really matter.

She always has.
It's funny, angelic. During all my years as a Superman fan - 37 years, almost 38 - I have worried that he would stop loving Lois. I have worried that he would relegate her to some tucked-away corner of his mind, and concentrate on more important things. I have worried that he would prefer a life of independence and chastity, where the messiness of love is not allowed to mess up the perfection of his superhuman life. I have worried, too, that a man a sought-after and admired as him would do what so many other famous men have done, get tired of his old love and and pick another blossom from the cornucopia of adulation that is constantly offered to him.

But I have never doubted her love for him.

I loved, loved, loved every time I heard him say to her that he had always loved her and always would. But I didn't need to be told that she had always loved him (and always would). I already knew that.

But no matter how confident I've been in my faith in Lois's love for him, I so, so, so loved hearing her admit it to herself in your wonderful vignette.

So beautiful, angelic.

Ann

#34554 11/25/06 12:09 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
This was really wonderful, angelic. Loved this:

A stubborn streak that could span more than one galaxy.
So true. Of both of them.

Ann said:

I loved, loved, loved every time I heard him say to her that he had always loved her and always would. But I didn't need to be told that she had always loved him (and always would). I already knew that.
I've gotten the impression from your posts (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you haven't seen most of the show. What you said might be true of the comic books and movies (and this is debatable, IMO), but certainly not of L&C:TNAOS. You can't judge our Clark by the one you're familiar with from the comics and other incarnations.

It was clear, pretty much right from the start, that L&C's Clark would always, always, love her. The same couldn't necessarily be said of Lois.

This is my personal interpretation of their relationship, but I feel that while Lois could go on after losing Clark, it would be much harder for Clark to do the same after losing her. I'm not saying she'd shrug and go, "Oh, well. Life goes on." But I have the impression that he depends on her much more than she depends on him. This in no way is meant to diminish her love for him, or how much she needs him, it's just a feeling I get.

angelic's vignette captures their relationship very well, IMO. How Clark worked his way into her heart without her really noticing. It's reminiscent of what she said in DTOSC: "Ever since we met, or at least ever since I took the time to listen, something about you has always made sense to me." And, of course, what she said to Ellen in INPY: "I got lucky--he made me notice him."

Thanks for sharing, angelic smile .

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#34555 11/25/06 12:30 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ann said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gotten the impression from your posts (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you haven't seen most of the show. What you said might be true of the comic books and movies, but certainly not of L&C:TNAOS. You can't judge our Clark by the one you're familiar with from the comics and other incarnations.
You are right, C_A. It's indeed true that for various reasons, I haven't seen most of the show. As for angelic's vignette, I was just trying to explain why it is so lovely from my point of view, as a 51-year-old woman who became a Superman fan at barely fourteen when I became convinced that Superman loves Lois Lane.

To me, LNC:TNAOS will always be just one aspect of the larger Superman mythos. But I realize that this is just my take on it. As a matter of fact, I do judge the Superman character by everything that I know about the mythos of him. But believe me, I don't judge LNC fans for regarding LNC as a world unto itself, separate from all other incarnations of Superman. I don't criticize anyone who feels that the only portrayal of Clark that matters is the LNC one. And I fully accept that in the show, Clark immediately knew that Lois was the only woman he could ever love, whereas it took a long time for Lois to be similarly convinced that Clark was the only man for her. I wasn't dismissing the show, I was just explaining how I regard these characters. And I was trying to explain, too, why angelic's vignette was so wonderful from my point of view.

But let me say, too: Judging from how Lois is generally portrayed in fannon, which I know so much better than the show, Lois tends to admit to herself that she has always loved Clark. Consider what she says to Clark in CC Aiken's alternative ending to The Friends We'd Do For A Friend:

He gathered his courage. Time to go for broke. “Can you... love me, now that you know?”

Her gaze was bottomless, shiny with unshed tears. It told him the answer before she did. “I think I already do. Maybe I always have.”
So it seems to me that even in the LNC universe, Lois may always have loved Clark. I know that to me, her love for him has seemed more of a constant than his love for her. But while you can't question LNC-Clark's eternal love for Lois, acknowledging her love for him probably makes good LNC-sense, too.

All I know is that to me, this vignette is absolutely beautiful. Hope you are all right with that, angelic. smile

Ann

#34556 11/25/06 12:42 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
I wasn't dismissing the show, I was just explaining how I regard these characters. And I was trying to explain, too, why angelic's vignette was so wonderful from my point of view.
I got that, Ann. My point was that I don't think it's fair to judge this Clark, our Clark, by what Superman did and didn't do in the movies, or by what he did and didn't do in the comic books. Even the comic book character has evolved since his conception in 1938, so IMO you can't judge today's Superman by his counterpart in the Golden Age era, or the Silver Age era, but that's beside the point.)

And I'm totally hijacking this thread. So if you would like to continue this discussion, just PM me smile .

Sorry, angelic. I hope you're not mad smile . See how thought-provoking your little vignette is?

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#34557 11/25/06 05:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think the point C_A was trying to make is a valid one. This is, after all, a LOIS AND CLARK board, for the LOIS AND CLARK fandom. I'm not saying that the other incarnations of Superman are stupid, dumb, or invalid--I'm just saying that if you're going to post on a LOIS AND CLARK board, you should know, and have opinions about, the show the boards are meant for--LOIS AND CLARK.

Back on topic:

Angelic, this was a wonderful super-short story. It really brings home how, although Lois might have felt something for Clark even in the beginning, she either ignored her feelings or outright denied them--to the outside world as well as to herself. What you've done here is have her, in hindsight, fully acknowledge those feelings and realize that she always had them.

Lovely vignette. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#34558 11/25/06 07:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you guys so much! I never expected this lil' ficlet I typed out in all of eight minutes to spark such discussion, but I'm so glad it did!! smile1

Ann, as usual, your stellar feedback and inferences leave me with a big smile on my face. It's amazing how much you can take away from just a few sentences. And while I'm really intrigued by how you see Lois and Clark through the lens of the comics, I do have to agree with C_A on this particular take on Lois and Clark's relationship within the context of the show; it seemed that he almost instantly fell deeply in love with Lois, insofar that his love for her was as inarguable that the sky is blue.

But Lois? Her love for Clark wasn't as apparent, at least not in the beginning. Committment scared her. Clark's steadfast loyalty scared her. And she avoided her feelings for him for a long time, refusing to admit how much he meant to her.

So that's why Lois' declaration of undying love for Clark is somehow inherently more powerful for me. (Not that Clark's feelings for Lois are in any way meant to be invalidated by that statement — his love for her is just as touching, though in a different kind of way.)

And now, I've gone on a tangent of my own. laugh Ann, C_A and DSDragon, thank you all so much for reading, and for your lovely comments! And please don't ever think I'm offended by discussion — it makes feedback even more fun to read!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
#34559 11/25/06 07:26 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Committment scared her. Clark's steadfast loyalty scared her. And she avoided her feelings for him for a long time, refusing to admit how much he meant to her.
For a number of reasons, we have seen less of Lois's declarations of love for Clark than of Clark's declarations of love for Lois. In the comics and the movies, Lois's love for him was more or less taken for granted. And in the LNC show, the reasons were precisely what you said: Lois was scared of commitment and scared of what Clark's intense love might do to her.

So the net result has been that there haven't been many instances where Lois has declared her eternal love for Clark. Precisely because of that, it becomes so much stronger when she does admit it:

So that's why Lois' declaration of undying love for Clark is somehow inherently more powerful for me.
I wholeheartedly agree, angelic. And that is why your vignette moves me so much.

Ann

#34560 11/25/06 08:35 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Aww, that was beautiful!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#34561 11/25/06 06:23 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Lovely!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#34562 11/26/06 10:26 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lovely, more soon! smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
#34563 11/27/06 11:16 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Jackie, MrsMosley and LLWB, thanks so much for the wonderful feedback! *loves* I'm so glad to hear you all enjoyed reading this vignette. smile1

~ Crystal

#34564 11/28/06 06:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh, am I sorry I missed this - I've been busy.

But what a wonderfully waffy wistfully weak-in-the-knees little vignette.

I loved it. So simple, so pure, so lovely.

Ahhh <contented sigh>

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#34565 12/01/06 07:08 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks so much for reading, DJ! (And apologies for responding to this so late, ack!)

... what a wonderfully waffy wistfully weak-in-the-knees little vignette.
Aww. blush It's feedback like this that makes these little vignettes so addictive to write!! Thank you for such a lovely comment. laugh

~ Crystal

#34566 12/12/06 05:48 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I know an author doesn't care how long it takes to get FDK if it actually comes...so I've been doing some catching up.

It was more like the culmination of a thousand moments
I like this portrayal, because it certainly did seem that way. And I'm partial to those thousand moments--I'd never have fallen for my husband without them. smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#34567 12/12/06 09:07 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks so much for the lovely comment, Capes! You're right -- I don't care when the feedback comes, it's just heartwarming to receive it. laugh

And this?
I like this portrayal, because it certainly did seem that way. And I'm partial to those thousand moments--I'd never have fallen for my husband without them.
I'm a puddle. A WaFFy puddle. Thanks so much for reading, and for sharing such a wonderful, personal parallel.

~ Crystal

#34568 12/13/06 05:26 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I missed this on the first run-through. I saw the feedback folder and read it and then had to run back and find the vignette.

Very short, to the point and lovely.

Nan (who is now going to rush off to take a kid to an eye appointment._

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#34569 12/13/06 05:26 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I missed this on the first run-through. I saw the feedback folder and read it and then had to run back and find the vignette.

Very short, to the point and lovely.

Nan (who is now going to rush off to take a kid to an eye appointment.)

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#34570 12/25/06 07:57 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
!!! Feedback that I somehow missed!!

*happy dance*

Thanks so much for reading and for your lovely comment, Nan! And I hope the eye appointment went well. laugh

~ Crystal

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard