Lois II

Lois watched as Clark double-checked the documents he and she were to sign. Zara and Ching had managed to transfer the electronic copies of the documents from the transport to Clark’s office computer. How many people on Earth have Kryptonese as a printer font? How many people need to actually print anything using it, much less legal documents?

“You don’t trust us?” Zara asked.

Clark chuckled, not stopping his reading to look up. “I trust you just fine, milady. But I am a journalist by trade. ‘Trust but verify’.” Finally satisfied, he handed both the English and Kryptonian adoption documents to Lois for her to sign.

Lois scanned the English version. The date on the document set it at eleven years before – the day Zara and Ching took Clark away from her. She gave Zara a questioning look.

“For an adoption to take place, we both need to be present. That was one of the few times we were together in front of witnesses,” Zara explained. “I distinctly recall calling you my sister in front of the people who were attending Superman’s goodbye conference.”

“Lois Sen-Ra?” Lois wondered aloud.

“Well, Lois isn’t exactly a Kryptonian name, but I have a feeling it’s going to be. We already have a number of ‘Clark’s and even ‘Jerome’s,” Ching said with a smile. He turned to Clark, expression more solemn. “I know that year with us was extraordinarily hard on you, but you have no idea how many people you affected, how much your presence was felt, even after your return to Earth. And if you should ever consider just visiting, please know that you, and Lois, would be welcomed with open arms.”

“Thanks, Ching,” Clark said. “It’s nice to know I did some good.”

Lois signed both copies of the adoption papers and handed them to Zara. Zara signed them with a flourish.

“Welcome to the House of Ra, sister,” Zara said formally then pulled Lois into a hug. “I always wanted a sister.”

Clark took both documents and folded them neatly. He pulled out a signet stamp that Lois recalled seeing occasionally, although she knew he usually kept it in the wall safe. It was engraved with the sigil of the House of El with an additional glyph Lois remembered meant ‘child’, the meaning of the Kryptonian name ‘Kal’. His name meant child of the stars, or child of hope, depending on the translation.

She watched as Clark wrapped white silk ribbon around each document, then used his heat vision to soften a stick of old-fashioned red sealing wax. He sealed both papers with the sealing wax, imprinting the stamp into the warm wax. “I’ll take our copies to Constance for safe-keeping,” Clark said when he was done.

The second set of documents only required Clark’s signature to repudiate, to deny, Conza Nor-Et’s daughter as a member of the House of El. Again, Clark sealed the documents, handing the Kryptonian copy to Zara. These documents she and Ching signed on the outside, above the seal, as witnesses.

“One last document,” Ching announced, placing two more sheets in front of Clark. “I know the two of you are legally married on Earth. But also you know that under New Krypton law that wasn’t a legal joining. This will take care of that.”

“A marriage license?” Lois asked.

“Not quite,” Zara said. “It’s the same arrangement Ching and I have. Kal-El and I are bound by law in a birth contract marriage. We cannot break that contract. However, our law does allow for secondary ‘marriages’ if the contract partners are unwilling or unable to fulfill the more intimate requirements of the contract marriage.”

“You make it sound so clinical,” Lois commented.

“Just realistic,” Zara corrected. “Clark and I are not the first birth marriage partners who discovered we had other wishes, other desires, and we won’t be the last. This document legitimizes your relationship with Clark, even though, legally it does make you a bound concubine rather than a wife. It also ensures that your children are properly legitimized so they are in line of succession to the House of El.”

“Don’t feel bad, Lois. Legally, I’m a bound concubine as well,” Ching said with a chuckle.

Clark once again checked both documents, signed at the appropriate places and handed them to Lois. Lois signed her new Kryptonian name in the proper places, and again Clark sealed the documents. Zara and Ching signed the outside as witnesses on both documents.

“Hopefully the council won’t have any problems with these,” Clark said.

“Zara can be very persuasive when she needs to be, as you well know, brother,” Ching reminded him. “We need to get back to the ship. Even with the new star drive it takes several days to get back.”

Lois led the way back to the main floor. She noticed Kal-El and Wanda seated on the sofa, and based on how quickly Kal-El moved away from Wanda, she suspected they’d been necking.

“I gather you’ve managed to resolve some of your issues?” Lois asked with a chuckle.

“We’re working on it.” Wanda grinned. “Are all Kryptonian men such great kissers?”

“Mine is.” Lois laughed. “Why do you think I married him?”

Clark grinned at his wife, then turned to Zara and Ching. “Safe journey, brother, milady.” This time it was Clark who pulled Zara into a hug. “We’ll keep you posted on how Jason is doing. And keep me posted on what’s happening with Xon, okay?”

“Of course, Clark,” Zara promised. With that, they were gone.

Lois looked over at the dining table with its now nearly empty plates of snacks. “Tomorrow, I’ll clean it up tomorrow,” she promised.

“I’ll take care of it later,” Clark promised. “It’s time you went to bed. I’ll be back in a little while.”

She smiled and gave him a kiss. “Go do your patrol. I’m pretty sure your mom’s up in the guest room, so I guess these two will be sacked out in the living room tonight.”

“Actually, I wouldn’t mind going on patrol,” Kal-El said. “It would seem normal after everything that’s happened today.”

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm