Comments go here.

Thanks!!!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Rac, I love how we look at Clark through Talan's eyes:

Kal El straightened, still looking out at the desert. Physically, he seemed strong, healthy again; his frame was well muscled and no longer bent by injuries. All signs of weakness or frailty were gone. He bore no resemblance to the emaciated and half dead figure that she and Ching had dragged out of that dungeon. But not all the damage had been physical, and new emotional wounds had been layered on top of the older ones that had yet to heal.
Talan's considers Clark's physical and emotional state.

"Now my curiosity is piqued," she heard herself say, her words and her tone befitting a conversation between friends, not an officer and her commander. She wondered if she should try to take the comment back. Was there a gracious way out of this?
Talan finds herself talking to Kal-El as if he was her friend, not her commander, and she wonders if she can take her words back.

He turned and gave her a brief smile.
But Kal-El is not offended...

...and he begins to tell her about himself.

"Earth, my planet, has a yellow sun," he began cryptically. She tried in vain to figure out where he was going with this. "It has a really…strange affect on Kryptonians. They didn't start to appear until I was about eight or nine years old. I was faster than other kids, and stronger. I never got hurt, or sick. I became invulnerable and by the time I was eighteen, I could fly."
He tells her he could fly? Is he joking?

She listened to the words in disbelief. Despite his melancholy, he had a richer and deeper sense of humor than anyone she knew
Talan knows that Clark has a wonderful sense of humour, in spite of the fact that he is full of sadness, too.

but it didn't seem like he was joking with her. His tone was too earnest, too wistful, like he desperately missed what he was describing.
Kal-El is letting Talan see how much he misses and longs for his amazing abilities.

"It was one of the most incredible feelings in the world," he said, his voice a fervent whisper. "I could go anywhere I wanted. Gravity had no power over me. It was amazing."
His voice a fervent whisper... he talks about his powers as if they were an amazing gift, not something he naturally deserved, and not something that made him a - well, a "superman" in Nietche's sense.

He clearly was not joking. The memories affected him so thoroughly. His warm smile died and the light in his eyes faded. "It also made me feel so alone. At the time, I had no idea where I'd come from, why I was sent there, or why I was so different. I lived an ordinary life, hiding what I could do from everyone except my parents."
His warm smile died. His powers made him so alone.

She exhaled a breath she hadn't realized she was holding in, wondering how there could have been so much that she never knew about him.
And Talan is mesmerized by him.

"I believe you, sir," she corrected him quickly. "But I can scarcely imagine it. The thought of a man flying, being invulnerable…and how strong exactly were you?"

"I lifted a spacecraft into orbit once," he replied simply.

"A spacecraft? With your hands?"
How strong were you? I can't help it, this reminds me of the question that Margot Kidder's Lois asked Chris Reeve's Superman: "How big are you? I mean, how tall are you?"

When Lois asked that question, she was besotted with Superman. Talan's question is a lot more... well, exact, perhaps even scientific. Even so, I wonder about her feelings for him.

"I should have known not to be surprised by you," she replied. Somehow the unbelievable life he was describing made him make more sense. His need to help, his strength, his courage, his compassion, and his grace all fit in perfectly to the life and the world he spoke of.
All his wonderful qualities make more sense and become even more wonderful.

"What about you? What's the hardest rescue you ever made?" he asked.

She bit her lip and frowned, deep in thought. "I had to deliver a baby once."

Out of the corner of her eye, she glanced at him. He was trying, and failing, to fight off a smile. His shoulders started to shake as he began to chuckle. Soon, he was laughing out loud. Talan turned toward him. He was laughing at her? She opened her mouth to speak, but suddenly indignant, she couldn't think of a thing to say. "I'm entirely serious," she said at last.
But... he is laughing at her?

"I'm sorry," he said, still laughing, but fighting to stop. He took a deep breath and collected himself. "It's just that, you're fearless and invincible. You do the impossible like it's nothing, so I have a tough time seeing a baby as your most formidable opponent. I mean, they kind of manage to get born all on their own."
No, he isn't laughing at her, not like that. It's his wonderful warmth and humour that makes him laugh - laugh not at her, but at the idea that she could be threatened by a baby.

"I know," she admitted, smiling despite herself. "But I had no idea what I was doing. It's not as though I could give orders to a woman in labor or to the baby, for that matter. I was quite a bit outside of my area of expertise."

"But everyone was all right?"

She nodded slightly, still smiling. "Everyone was all right," she confirmed.
And suddenly Talan herself seems to be able to look back on her ordeal with a lot more pride and joy than before.

"Have you ever had to deliver a baby?"

"Seventeen of them," he replied.

"Seventeen?"
And just imagine that Talan had been - well, not trying to impress Kal-El, but still... she thought she had something unusual and frightening to tell him. But he has done what she has done, only seventeen times over.

"Usually it was just easier to pick the mother up and fly her to the hospital," he explained casually, as though carrying a woman in labor while he flew through the air was a normal thing to do. "But sometimes I'd get there and the mother would be too far along for me to move her. So I'd have to deliver the baby right where we were." He smiled, but there was no hint of sadness in his eyes this time. It was like the burden of his grief was forgotten, even if only for a moment.
Whether Talan realizes it or not, she can see how much joy each of these seventeen babies brought Kal-El. He is a commander, a warrior, a potential bringer of death, who rejoices more than anything in the celebration of life, and in the delivery of new life into the world.

She'd thought his personality magnetic as a leader; he demonstrated courage and compassion that drew people instinctively to him. But that was only a small part of who he was, she realized. His warmth, his kindness, and his gentle humor were things he was rarely able to reveal here.
And Talan marvels at the kind and gentle wonder that is Kal-El. What does it do to Talan, fair and fearless warrior, to see for herself such wonderful qualities and emotions in a beautiful man?

These weren't the grand emotions that inspired sacrifice and loyalty and the things that changed the course of a people's history. These were the simple emotions of everyday life. The ones that shaped and changed a person forever. The ones that grew into more than just respect and admiration. The ones that…

He sighed quietly, but the sound startled her. Still smiling slightly, he asked, "you ready to go back?"

"I'm ready if you are, sir," she replied.
What was Talan's thinking when Clark startled her with his quiet sigh? It seems to me that she is falling in love with him. And no wonder. I'm curious about where you will be taking this. Talan seems to be falling in love with Clark, and Clark can't help but be impressed by Talan. Will they have an affair? Given their circumstances, I can't blame them if they do. I still hope that won't happen, though.

Later, only hours before she is going to launch a new offensive against Lord Nor, Talan dreams of murdering Nor, of exacting revenge on him. It was a frightening, upsetting dream. I hope Talan will not give in to her more primitive wishes to do to the bully what he did to others, even though I can't blame Talan for harbouring such feelings.

Back on the Earth, diplomats are bickering about General Rapin's decision to violate the letter of his mandate so that he could uphold the spirit of it - that is, so that he could protect the people whose safety was his to protect. And the supporters of Rapin win, becasue the Chinese representative is the only one who wants Rapin punished:

"I will not commit to anything," Lin replied stubbornly, but leaving himself an exit to retreat from his recalcitrant position in the future.

"Of course, it is too early," the French ambassador said, his tone conciliatory.

"Well, this has been a productive discussion," Sir Walter said. "I think we've made real progress. Ambassador Dalton, I trust you'll communicate our current thinking to General Rapin."

"Of course," Dalton replied. "Thank you all." With that, he jabbed the button on the phone to end the call. He looked at her with a slight smile on his face. "We're getting there," he said.
I loved this description of real-life diplomacy. This is the way to get things done in the real world, in my opinion.

Meanwhile, overcome with guilt at his failure to stop the murdering of over a thousand people, Clark turns to Zara for support:

Zara was standing in front of him again, obviously ignorant of his wish. She took both of his hands in her smaller ones. "You are like family to me," she whispered. "Please let me help you the way you've helped me."

He closed his eyes, fighting tears once again, and pulled her into his arms. "This is my fault," he said under his breath.
Zara holds Clark and embraces him. Once again there is this feeling that strong and decent Kryptonian women can't help but respond to somebody as strong and decent and kind and gentle as Clark. And I'm wondering what it will lead to.

Clark finds out that Alon is the likely traitor, and Talan almost captures Nor, only to have to race back to help her own troops, who are under attack.

I used to think that the "Krypton parts" of this story were a bit uninteresting, Rac, but you have certainly made me change my mind.

And I almost can't believe what you said in the thread commenting on the previous part: that what you are writing is actually a trilogy, and in spite of the huge amount of narrative you have already produced, you may be only about halfway through this mighty trilogy.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! thumbsup Only need evidence to take him down.

"Ma'am, command is on the wireless," her subordinate interrupted. "Teams Four One and Two Nine are under attack. Reinforcements have been scrambled, but they're miles away."
confused Dose this mean they wore tag before the attack?

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Ann and Maria have both touched on something that has caught my attention ever since Talan came on the scene. She's nothing like Lois. Both of them are determined to do what they think is the right thing, but while Lois is fire and fury, Talan is cold and rigid. Lois is mercurial, Talan is devoted to the command structure and to New Krypton. Lois wears her heart on her sleeve, while Talan doesn't even let herself know how she feels.

Yet these two women are so similar in other ways. They are both devoting themselves to protecting the weak and oppressed. They are both committing vast amounts of personal resources to their respective causes. And I think they both love Clark.

I had thought earlier that Clark might turn to Talan for comfort, but I'm thinking now that I had it backwards. Talan may turn to Clark and ask him for something he isn't able to give - his love. And she might settle for the pleasure of his company while she loves him, although I doubt that Clark would agree to such an arrangement.

I'm impressed that Zara has come to care for Clark as a brother. I have no thought that she would offer that comfort to Clark, but it's a good thing that she's there for him as a friend. I hope he makes use of his friends network, small as it is.

And I hope Lois continues to have success in her maddeningly slow diplomatic efforts without feeling that she's sacrificing time with Jon. I can't wait to read the chapter where she tells Clark he's a father. I suspect that revelation will both generate and release a lot of anger on both their parts. On Lois's part, because she's had to be Ultra Woman and Mommy all by herself (with help from the Kents, of course) while Clark was gallivanting all over New Krypton with all those hotties from outer space. On Clark's part, he will be angry at Lois for not letting him know about Jon (never mind that she had absolutely no way to contact him!) and angry at himself for abandoning them. It's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Oh, one more thought: Down with Alon!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really lliked this part, Rac. smile So many lovely glimpses into your characters' personalities.

I still keep seeing Talan as kind of a female Spock, and so it's touching whenever we see the small signs of her emotional awakening - this time a tentative awareness of her friendship with Clark.

(btw, am wondering if there should be a paragraph bewteen these two sentences becasue of the shifting POV. Hope you don't mind this observation, but it through me for a bit when I was reading.
It was like the burden of his grief was forgotten, even if only for a moment. She'd thought his personality magnetic as a leader;
So good to see Clark, too, regaining his strength - his humour. His chats with Talan are so 'normal', the stuff that people talk with their friends about - what they've done before they got to this place. smile But Talan's nightmare - she's on the brink of exploding. And Clark too is not quite out of his darkness yet - hopefully Zara is helping him in that respect. We see here how well she senses his demons.

What a spot to leave Talan in!

Interesting that Clark has two women who perhaps love him, alhough in different ways, and are so emotionally supportive of hiim - what Terry called 'hotties' laugh So how about a couple of hotties for Lois who are parallel characters to Zara and Talon?? Not just the middle-aged parental substitutes she's got (and I'm not denigrating M, J , and Perry here! smile ) and well, uh, Jimmy laugh Just asking. smile

But, more seriously, what I am liking is how you're writing about women and men's relationships - the love of marriage (and sort of marriage), the love of friendship, the love of kin - such a tapestry, and so what real life relationships are. smile

But ... time to get L and C back together again.

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm back and just caught up! I missed quite a bit too apparently.

So things are starting to come together for both Lois and Clark. Glad to see that maybe they've found the traitor!

As always this is intriguing and so layered, I love reading it.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Rac,

Again I'm playing catch up, but I did so like this last part.

I love the insights we are seeing into Talan's character, but I'm afraid that perhaps there is only heartache for her, if her feelings for Clark deepen.

But it was good to see Clark being able to talk about his past and, even better, to get some emotional support from Zara.

Neither of these women are Lois, and she is really the only one who can heal Clark, but I'm glad that he does have support. He is very near breaking point.

Thank you for writing such a complex and enthralling story.

Yours Jenni

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments (and Happy Halloween!).

Ann, thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed this section and the opportunity to see things from Talan's POV. I really enjoyed writing this section because I felt like it was one of those times when we get to see why someone as remarkable as Talan thinks Clark is just about the most amazing person she's ever met. Oddly enough, it's not really the powers that make her think this - it's what he did with the powers and why.

As to the events on Earth, I've been trying to get the diplomacy and the politicking right. I think that sometimes we take for granted just how difficult and maddening the process of negotiation can be. This is doubly true in Lois's case. She's not exactly a patient person and she's fully capable of using brute force to get the outcome she wants, but she can't. She knows what the consequences of turning Ultrawoman into a benevolent dictator would be, so she has to sit on her hands and be endlessly frustrated while innocent people suffer. No wonder she needs a shrink!

I think Zara has developed a sister's love for Clark, even if she is nominally married to him. Her feelings toward him aren't nearly as confused as Talan's. Even if all Kryptonians are somewhat emotionally stunted, Zara cannot hope to hold a candle to Talan in that regard. Also, her relationship with Ching and her feelings for him have probably prevented her from ever seeing Clark in any way except as a friend and as a brother.

Hi Maria. Thanks for commenting. To answer your question, I think the reason Clark seeks out Talan is because, despite the substantial degree of deference she shows him, he can still talk to her like a real person. Moreover, he knows that she's seen some pretty awful things, so he feels like she'll have an easier time relating to what he's been through. And, he feels like whatever he has to say will be less shocking to someone who has seen so much of war.

I've tried very hard to have the positions of the countries involved in the diplomacy mirror their actual approach to places like Darfur and Kosovo. The Chinese government has been rather strident about protecting countries from outside interference by the UN, even to stop genocide. So Lin isn't hiding anything, he's just expressing his country's position that sovereignty should trump just about everything, including humanitarian intervention. I think it's clear that both Ultrawoman and I disagree.

Thanks for your comments, Terry. I think your comments regarding Lois and Talan are spot on. Even though they believe in the same things and will go to great lengths to fight for their beliefs, they have very different personalities and express themselves in totally different ways. Lois is fire, and Talan is ice. As different as they are, I can see why they admire the same qualities in Clark. He's a pretty easy guy to admire, after all.

I can also see why Zara and even Ching (though he'd never admit it) admire these same qualities in Clark. He has friends who want to be there for him, but Clark isn't particularly good at asking for help and none of them have figured out just how to offer it.

Lois certainly does have her work cut out for her. I think she's turned being a working mom into an art form few could imitate, but that doesn't mean that what she does is easy. I think you're right that it will be extremely difficult for both her and Clark to deal with the fact that she's been raising Jon without him for years. It is, of course, no one's fault, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been hard on Lois and Jon, and it doesn't mean Clark won't feel guilty about it.

Carol, thanks so much for your comments. I've definitely tried, throughout the story, to show the different types of important relationships people have - romantic, platonic, and familial and how they're not necessarily as easy to define as one would think. For one thing, family is about more than blood - it's about taking care of the people you care about. I think that Lois's relationship with the Kents exemplifies this. Also, even blood familial relationships are sometimes hard to pin down. Enza is a lot more than just Thia's aunt. She's Thia's entire family. I also don't think Ching and Zara's relationship is any less meaningful because they aren't married. They've put up with an awful lot to be together and they continue to deal with daunting circumstances that keep them from being together officially. And sometimes its friendships, largely considered to be 'less' than relationships of blood or marriage, that save people's lives.

With respect to the two sentences you quoted, I clearly didn't do a good enough job showing that the entire scene is from Talan's perspective and shows her interpretation of Clark's reactions. Personally, I try to always use the third person limited omniscient perspective and stay in just one character's head for an entire scene.

Hi Liz! Thanks so much for commenting. I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying this.

Jenni, it's great to hear from you, as always. It's my absolute pleasure to write this story (even if it sometimes seems to be prioritizing itself ahead of other things in life), and I'm so glad to hear that you enjoy reading it. You're definitely right that Clark is reaching an emotional breaking point and that the people around him, as well meaning as they are, are still just proxies for whom he really needs to be with.

Well, there are seven minutes left of Halloween where I am, so you can consider the next part - coming up in a moment - either a trick or a treat. I'll let you decide. Thanks again for taking the time to read and to comment, everyone!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard