Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33671 10/25/06 06:45 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow... just caught up after a while away... this just keeps getting more interesting. Very complex political stuff here. Fun!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#33672 10/25/06 06:55 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree, lots of fun!

And woah! Great line to end the chapter on, Dandello! I'd be ashamed myself.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#33673 10/25/06 08:22 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Wow, what a blow at the end!

He looked over at her watching him and came to sit beside her. “I am so glad I’m not him,” he murmured softly. “Earth politics is bad enough, but this is straight out of the middle ages.”

“Great Kryptonian political writers: Sun Tzu and Machiavelli,” Clark said with a grin.

“We both forgot about superhearing,” Wanda muttered back to Kal-El.
thumbsup

Oh, and I liked the pun at Macchiavelli and Sun Tzu. This whole exchange borders on both serious and hilarious.

I definitely loved the explanation Wanda and Kal give for their assumption that Kryptonians and (terran) humans are one and the same species. Pretty accurate, but there's one more thing to consider: Horses and donkeys are able to crossbreed, but their common offspring are infertile. In order to prove that the humans from Krypton and earth are one species, the children of Lois and Clark (or Wanda and Kal-El) must be proven fertile - preferably with both races mother races...

(I just HAVE to quote that one. It's too good to be true!)

“They will if you will,” Clark pointed out. “Or is the whole ‘Krypton was the most evolved and enlightened society in the known twenty-eight galaxies’ a bunch of crap, cause what I see here, and what I experienced on New Krypton, tells me that Krypton was and is ruled by a bunch of racial and religious bigots. Quite frankly, right now I'm ashamed to admit I'm even one of you.”
Good idea: Get them where it hurts the most - their pride in their "advanced civilisation"!

More, ASAP, please! clap

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#33674 10/25/06 08:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! thumbsup

“I admit I haven’t come up with a good solution for the problem of Conza’s daughter, but unless there’s a rule against noble adoption of females, there is a mechanism for solving the legitimacy problem. Remember, I adopted Ching as my brother, raising him to the nobility so you and he could be together and your children by him could be in line of succession in the House of Ra,” Clark reminded her. “And if I understand correctly, Ching was my heir until CJ was born.”

“But Lois is an Earth human,” Zara said. “We’re not even the same species. Your children by her are half-breeds.”
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That mean Ching still the legal heir. confused

[quote]
“So not only do you need to repudiate the child,” Ching said slowly.
What repudiate the child will do? confused

“They will if you will,” Clark pointed out. “Or is the whole ‘Krypton was the most evolved and enlightened society in the known twenty-eight galaxies’ a bunch of crap, cause what I see here, and what I experienced on New Krypton, tells me that Krypton was and is ruled by a bunch of racial and religious bigots. Quite frankly, right now I'm ashamed to admit I'm even one of you.”
Amen! thumbsup

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#33675 10/25/06 08:41 AM
Kerth
Kerth
“I admit I haven’t come up with a good solution for the problem of Conza’s daughter, but unless there’s a rule against noble adoption of females, there is a mechanism for solving the legitimacy problem. Remember, I adopted Ching as my brother, raising him to the nobility so you and he could be together and your children by him could be in line of succession in the House of Ra,” Clark reminded her. “And if I understand correctly, Ching was my heir until CJ was born.”

“But Lois is an Earth human,” Zara said. “We’re not even the same species. Your children by her are half-breeds.”
That mean Ching still the legal heir. [Confused]
No!

“Within the Great Houses, the eldest legitimate male heir inherits both his father’s property and title. In the event there is no legitimate male heir, the property and title will devolve onto the eldest legitimate female heir, then to the eldest male heir born to a noble concubine, then to the eldest female heir born to a noble concubine. Any offspring, male or female, born to non-nobility are not eligible to inherit either property or title without special dispensation of the Council of Elders.”
Since Clark's children with Lois might fall under the non-nobility category - depending on the decision of the council - Nor's granddaughter by Clark (through whichever way she was conceived) is currently ranked as his heir (daughter of a concubine). Only if she is dead, the fraternal lines will be taken into account. Thus, Ching (and his offspring) can only inherit if that girl is dead.

And Clark's legitimate offspring (with Lois) are not in the line of inheritance unless the council decides to acknowledge that humans and Kryptonians are one and the same species, thus making Lois officially the Lady of the house of El. That's the problem of this story.

#33676 10/25/06 04:00 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I definitely loved the explanation Wanda and Kal give for their assumption that Kryptonians and (terran) humans are one and the same species. Pretty accurate, but there's one more thing to consider: Horses and donkeys are able to crossbreed, but their common offspring are infertile. In order to prove that the humans from Krypton and earth are one species, the children of Lois and Clark (or Wanda and Kal-El) must be proven fertile - preferably with both races mother races...
I am thinking in terms of natural, in the wild type breeding. I don't think horses and donkeys do it without human intervention. However, I recall reading that wolves and dogs do and have fertile offspring and I believe coyote/dog blends are fertile as well. I am of the opinion that humans and Kryptonians wouldn't even be interested in breeding if they weren't in fact close enough genetically to make breeding possible. (Unlike in Star Trek where it appears humans will breed with rabbits if given half a chance - that or Sarek was one pervy puppy going after a human woman.)

Besides, wouldn't a physical exam, even of a child, show whether or not the gonads had developed properly?

Now if the council believes this is another story.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#33677 10/26/06 06:50 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I am thinking in terms of natural, in the wild type breeding. I don't think horses and donkeys do it without human intervention.
I'm not sure about that, either. But I know for a fact that horses and zebras do cross-breed without human intervention. At least occasionally. And their hybrid offspring are just as barren as mules.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard